Poll: Which do you prefer for pain? (arthritis)
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Naproxen
0%
0 0%
Ibuprofen
100.00%
3 100.00%
Total 3 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Naproxen vs. Ibuprofen Poll
(05-02-2019, 11:29 AM)tvguy Wrote:
(05-02-2019, 08:29 AM)Scrapper Wrote:
(05-01-2019, 10:58 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(05-01-2019, 02:50 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(05-01-2019, 07:25 AM)GPnative Wrote: Well that's interesting timing regarding Osteoporosis, I had just read this article this morning while enjoying my cup of coffee....maybe you will find it helpful.

https://www.rd.com/health/conditions/ost...s-problem/

I'm in a funny place with the exercise. IF I exercise, I experience less pain and feel stronger.  But IF I exercise, I invariably seem to stir up and aggravate the bone spurs in my knees and they lock and I can't walk. it's kind of a weird double-edged sword. Even low impact stuff like just cycling at the gym.  It's really been a downward spiral in just the last couple of months. I need to figure out how to get the knee replacement and still have something to live on while I'm down. So, essentially, I've become a semi-invalid, walking around like I'm on broken glass and not exerting myself because I'm terrified I'll get stuck somewhere.
My wife was in intense pain from her knee replacement for a LONG time. She actually scheduled her surgery so that she would be healed up and good to go to take care of me after my surgery.
Well I went in and had a gall bladder removed and a few inches of my colon. If you don't know the go in from your stomach area. The cut you open and them make other cuts so they can pull all of your guts out of the way.
Anyway my wife said they cut me up like a pirate LOL.
So guess who took care of who? My wife was still doped up and bed ridden for weeks. I stopped taking any pain killers before I left the hospital.
Anyway if you get a knee replacement they BETTER give you some good drugs.
Did your wife do the recommended rehab? Exercises? My brother said that it is so much better If you're diligent about that. He ended up doing 5 and 10K's after his.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
She's in one of those catch 22 positions. She has a bad heart, bad allergies , her other knee is not that great and she has a lot of joint pain from arthritis.. So she can't really do much exercise kind of like Juniper is saying.
It was just a long process before she could even walk more than a few feet.

Having recently gone through knee replacement for one knee, (the other needs it too), I will say it's been the worse experience and month of my life.  Truly awful.  Now I'm in the process of unhooking from Oxy and that is no picnic either. It's fargin' awful!  I don't really have the care system around me to help, and it's been a horrible time for me.  I still can't really walk yet either. So, now I'm on the acetaminophen and Aleve for pain while in Oxy withdrawal.  And no job, no income, no sick pay, no significant care, nothing.  Really, things can't get much worse.   The doctor's attitude to all my problems seemed to be to prescribe more and more Oxy and in higher and higher doses.  And now, I've got to unravel it all.  The only good news, is that OHP covered it and I have a new knee.
(03-29-2020, 06:50 PM)Juniper Wrote: Having recently gone through knee replacement for one knee, (the other needs it too), I will say it's been the worse experience and month of my life.  Truly awful.  Now I'm in the process of unhooking from Oxy and that is no picnic either. It's fargin' awful!  I don't really have the care system around me to help, and it's been a horrible time for me.  I still can't really walk yet either. So, now I'm on the acetaminophen and Aleve for pain while in Oxy withdrawal.  And no job, no income, no sick pay, no significant care, nothing.  Really, things can't get much worse.   The doctor's attitude to all my problems seemed to be to prescribe more and more Oxy and in higher and higher doses.  And now, I've got to unravel it all.  The only good news, is that OHP covered it and I have a new knee.

Hope it gets better for you.
(03-29-2020, 08:48 PM)Cuzz Wrote:
(03-29-2020, 06:50 PM)Juniper Wrote: Having recently gone through knee replacement for one knee, (the other needs it too), I will say it's been the worse experience and month of my life.  Truly awful.  Now I'm in the process of unhooking from Oxy and that is no picnic either. It's fargin' awful!  I don't really have the care system around me to help, and it's been a horrible time for me.  I still can't really walk yet either. So, now I'm on the acetaminophen and Aleve for pain while in Oxy withdrawal.  And no job, no income, no sick pay, no significant care, nothing.  Really, things can't get much worse.   The doctor's attitude to all my problems seemed to be to prescribe more and more Oxy and in higher and higher doses.  And now, I've got to unravel it all.  The only good news, is that OHP covered it and I have a new knee.

I'm sure it was much 'kneeded'
(03-29-2020, 06:50 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(05-01-2019, 10:58 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(05-01-2019, 02:50 PM)Juniper Wrote: I'm in a funny place with the exercise. IF I exercise, I experience less pain and feel stronger.  But IF I exercise, I invariably seem to stir up and aggravate the bone spurs in my knees and they lock and I can't walk. it's kind of a weird double-edged sword. Even low impact stuff like just cycling at the gym.  It's really been a downward spiral in just the last couple of months. I need to figure out how to get the knee replacement and still have something to live on while I'm down. So, essentially, I've become a semi-invalid, walking around like I'm on broken glass and not exerting myself because I'm terrified I'll get stuck somewhere.
My wife was in intense pain from her knee replacement for a LONG time. She actually scheduled her surgery so that she would be healed up and good to go to take care of me after my surgery.
Well I went in and had a gall bladder removed and a few inches of my colon. If you don't know the go in from your stomach area. The cut you open and them make other cuts so they can pull all of your guts out of the way.
So guess who took care of who? My wife was still doped up and bed ridden for weeks. I stopped taking any pain killers before I left the hospital.
Did your wife do the recommended rehab? Exercises? My brother said that it is so much better If you're diligent about that. He ended up doing 5 and 10K's after his.

She's in one of those catch 22 positions. She has a bad heart, bad allergies , her other knee is not that great and she has a lot of joint pain from arthritis.. So she can't really do much exercise kind of like Juniper is saying.

Having recently gone through knee replacement for one knee, (the other needs it too), I will say it's been the worse experience and month of my life.  Truly awful.  Now I'm in the process of unhooking from Oxy and that is no picnic either. It's fargin' awful!  I don't really have the care system around me to help, and it's been a horrible time for me.  I still can't really walk yet either. So, now I'm on the acetaminophen and Aleve for pain while in Oxy withdrawal.  And no job, no income, no sick pay, no significant care, nothing.  Really, things can't get much worse.   The doctor's attitude to all my problems seemed to be to prescribe more and more Oxy and in higher and higher doses.  And now, I've got to unravel it all.  The only good news, is that OHP covered it and I have a new knee.
A month and you still can't really walk? Are you doing PT? My brother has had both of his knees done... it's so very important that you force yourself to get up, move and be diligent about PT. And... you should have been on nothing more than Ibuprofen & Tylenol before your second week was up. Maybe you need to request a second doctor take a look.

(03-30-2020, 07:42 AM)Scrapper Wrote:
(05-01-2019, 10:58 PM)tvguy Wrote: My wife was in intense pain from her knee replacement for a LONG time. She actually scheduled her surgery so that she would be healed up and good to go to take care of me after my surgery.

A month and you still can't really walk? Are you doing PT? My brother has had both of his knees done... it's so very important that you force yourself to get up, move and be diligent about PT. And... you should have been on nothing more than Ibuprofen & Tylenol before your second week was up. Maybe you need to request a second doctor take a look.

You know, apparently, there is a spectrum...people who react and recover well, and others who don't.  Two ends of the spectrum. I suspect your brother might be on the light end of the spectrum and I am on the far end..  It has been the most offensive shock to my body. I'm clearly on the far opposite side of the spectrum.  Oh, I do PT alright and it nearly kills me.  I'm still very weak and frail. After week one they INCREASED my Oxy dosage. Now I'm trying to get off the stuff.I can walk very slowly across the room with a cane now in week 5.
  That just in the last couple of days.
(03-30-2020, 09:40 AM)Juniper Wrote:
(05-02-2019, 08:29 AM)Scrapper Wrote: Did your wife do the recommended rehab? Exercises? My brother said that it is so much better If you're diligent about that. He ended up doing 5 and 10K's after his.

You know, apparently, there is a spectrum...people who react and recover well, and others who don't.  Two ends of the spectrum. I suspect your brother might be on the light end of the spectrum and I am on the far end..  It has been the most offensive shock to my body. I'm clearly on the far opposite side of the spectrum.  Oh, I do PT alright and it nearly kills me.  I'm still very weak and frail. After week one they INCREASED my Oxy dosage. Now I'm trying to get off the stuff.I can walk very slowly across the room with a cane now in week 5.
His second knee got infected and he had to have a second surgery... which made him start all over again. But he knew from the first knee that, no matter what, he had to buck up and do what he had to do... you really do have to force yourself to work through the pain. It won't get better if you don't. You're too young to let this kick your ass! Don't give in! Be strong! You can do it!

(03-30-2020, 10:40 AM)Scrapper Wrote:
(05-02-2019, 11:29 AM)tvguy Wrote: She's in one of those catch 22 positions. She has a bad heart, bad allergies , her other knee is not that great and she has a lot of joint pain from arthritis.. So she can't really do much exercise kind of like Juniper is saying.

His second knee got infected and he had to have a second surgery... which made him start all over again. But he knew from the first knee that, no matter what, he had to buck up and do what he had to do... you really do have to force yourself to work through the pain. It won't get better if you don't. You're too young to let this kick your ass! Don't give in! Be strong! You can do it!

I don't really have pain anymore. I use Aleve now.  But I'm still weak, and struggling. Plus, there's not a lot I can manage indoors under quarantine on my own. I do wish I could go use the machines at the gym to build strength and endurance.  At home there's a limit to what I can accomplish.. I've done everything I have been asked to do.  Thankfully, no secondary infection. That would suck.
(03-30-2020, 11:01 AM)Juniper Wrote:

I don't really have pain anymore. I use Aleve now.  But I'm still weak, and struggling. Plus, there's not a lot I can manage indoors under quarantine on my own. I do wish I could go use the machines at the gym to build strength and endurance.  At home there's a limit to what I can accomplish.. I've done everything I have been asked to do.  Thankfully, no secondary infection. That would suck.

I think you're quite right about healing as a spectrum. However I've learned from my back problems that you (I) need to move, stretch, exercise, whatever as soon as possible and keep at it. It's the only way to get through it. I don't think you need a gym. You just can't sit and rest and hope healing comes. Move as you can, at least.

It's good you're getting off the Oxy. Hope you get better.
(03-30-2020, 11:27 AM)Cuzz Wrote:
(03-30-2020, 11:01 AM)Juniper Wrote:
(03-30-2020, 07:42 AM)Scrapper Wrote: A month and you still can't really walk? Are you doing PT? My brother has had both of his knees done... it's so very important that you force yourself to get up, move and be diligent about PT. And... you should have been on nothing more than Ibuprofen & Tylenol before your second week was up. Maybe you need to request a second doctor take a look.

I think you're quite right about healing as a spectrum. However I've learned from my back problems that you (I) need to move, stretch, exercise, whatever as soon as possible and keep at it. It's the only way to get through it. I don't think you need a gym. You just can't sit and rest and hope healing comes. Move as you can, at least.

It's good you're getting off the Oxy. Hope you get better.
No, I don't NEED a gym.  I think it might be a little easier to do some good exercises though.  I do move.  It's just harder to do things trapped in a house by yourself.  There's all sorts of psychological aspects involved in that.  But, i do move around and do  stretches and exercises. for instance yesterday, I tried something but then found myself in a position of needing help, and didn't have it.  I do believe exercise is important . Trust me, I've been moving since the day of my surgery. I'm just never going to be Scrapper's brother. And I think I went into surgery believing that I would have a much easier, quicker recovery than I have had and I don't think anyone prepared me for that.
Please no gyms, stay the fuck at home. (until this blows over)
(03-30-2020, 12:37 PM)chuck white Wrote: Please no gyms, stay the fuck at home. (until this blows over)
Like there's a choice?  It doesn't matter anyway.  Exercise is only one aspect of the healing. No one told me there would be days on end of not being able eat a thing, or just sleeping for 20 hours a day. Or so weak, the walk to the dresser would wipe me out. There's much more involved than just moving your body and doing PT.
(03-30-2020, 12:53 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(03-30-2020, 12:37 PM)chuck white Wrote: Please no gyms, stay the fuck at home. (until this blows over)
Like there's a choice?  It doesn't matter anyway.  Exercise is only one aspect of the healing. No one told me there would be days on end of not being able eat a thing, or just sleeping for 20 hours a day. Or so weak, the walk to the dresser would wipe me out. There's much more involved than just moving your body and doing PT.
I kind of told you it was going to be bad Sad  Yes I think your theory that you aren't Scrappers brother is spot on.
I'm  Scrappers brother and you my wife LOL, Wait what? You know what I mean. I made them take me off the morphine drip after they sliced through my stomach to get to and cut out 5 inches of my colon. I hated it so much I was better with the pain.
I got home and they had a bed in the middle of the living room for me?? I had them put it up. My wife was mad because I came home in 6 days and they told her it would be 10. She just NOW told me...They said at the hospital... "he seems fine and he won't take any pain meds" Laughing Laughing
BTW I took my wife to a physical terrorist about 8 times. She would shed tears while they did their thing.
Physical terrorist. Good word for it. The thing is, that their answer to all things was just to up the pain meds. Feeling tired. More meds. Can't get comfortable? More pain meds. Can't negotiate stairs? More pain meds. Tired and weak? More pain meds. So, the pain part was really the first 3 weeks but not so much now, but still, it's a terrible thing to go through. Mostly I would put my passive pain at 0 and moving pain at 2 or 3 so it's not the pain that's really the problem. You know, when you look at the videos and they used euphemisms like 'going in there and cleaning it up'. That's not really accurate. It's an assault on the body. All the tissue, the muscles, and all and on top of it, it's really a bone amputation. And I think that's what has taken me out. This wasn't a case of just cutting in and 'cleaning it out'. It was much, much, more than that. So, it's not just 'Oh, do your physical therapy', that's what it takes. I haven't the strength to stay standing for more than 2 minutes without feeling faint and passing out. I'm supposed to get another one of these? I have NO IDEA HOW.
(03-29-2020, 08:48 PM)Cuzz Wrote:

Thank you. Yes, the one knee has gone quite well, but there is the other knee...it needs replacing also, and it's a big step to go through again.  Having no income, little help, indifferent care, and a long recovery.  Yet I keep meeting people dancing jigs on their replacements after just 4 weeks. Not me...that last one had me down for at least 3 months.
(03-30-2020, 01:29 PM)tvguy Wrote: BTW I took my wife to a physical terrorist about 8 times. She would shed tears while they did their thing.

Yes.  Physical terrorism was terrible. It really was.  And I coined your term and would say "It's time to go to the Physical Therapist now".  I dread them.