Poll: Which do you prefer for pain? (arthritis)
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Naproxen
0%
0 0%
Ibuprofen
100.00%
3 100.00%
Total 3 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Naproxen vs. Ibuprofen Poll
(03-05-2015, 12:08 PM)Valuesize Wrote:
(03-05-2015, 11:34 AM)GPnative Wrote: also, fyi, my book says to avoid concurrent use with NSAID's.

In that case, I suspect I wouldn't feel the effects of the turmeric immediately so how many days or weeks would be a sufficient time to see if it works for me?

Not sure there is any single answer on that one, Some folks claim relief on the first doses of Turmeric, others longer. For me it seemed more gradual over the course of a week to 10 days. I ended up taking Zyflamend daily for about 4 months.

My personal approach to supplements is a different approach to OTC symptom reliever products like Ibuprofen, I go into supplements willing to give them at least 4 weeks before deciding if they help or not.
Thanks. I'm on my way out the door now but I'll have to search concurrent use info when I get back. Big Grin
(03-03-2015, 09:01 PM)Valuesize Wrote: Since most of you (us) are older, which do you prefer for pain? (arthritis)

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15229960

VS, I've had a LOT of luck with Tumeric&Bromelain.   Most alternative or herbal remedies are pretty iffy for me.  I  had another problem a few years back and a specific herb was a lifesaver for me.  Tumeric alone doesn't help me; it has to have the Bromelain in it.
(08-27-2015, 08:38 PM)Tiamat Wrote:
(03-03-2015, 09:01 PM)Valuesize Wrote: Since most of you (us) are older, which do you prefer for pain? (arthritis)

VS, I've had a LOT of luck with Tumeric&Bromelain.   Most alternative or herbal remedies are pretty iffy for me.  I  had another problem a few years back and a specific herb was a lifesaver for me.  Tumeric alone doesn't help me; it has to have the Bromelain in it.

Bromelane is also one of the ingredients in meat tenderizers. No wonder it relaxes muscles.

As for turmeric, I've mainly used it in pickling and risotto. After reading the below list, I will be adding it to more dishes, especially cauliflower.

20 Health Benefits of Turmeric

Last updated on October 1, 2007

[Image: 20-Health-Benefits-of-Turmeric.jpg]The active ingredient in turmeric is curcumin. Turmeric has been used for over 2500 years in India, where it was most likely first used as a dye.
The medicinal properties of this spice have been slowly revealing themselves over the centuries. Long known for its anti-inflammatory properties, recent research has revealed that turmeric is a natural wonder, proving beneficial in the treatment of many different health conditions from cancer to Alzheimer’s disease.
Here are 20 health benefits of turmeric:

1. It is a natural antiseptic and antibacterial agent, useful in disinfecting cuts and burns.
2. When combined with cauliflower, it has shown to prevent prostate cancer and stop the growth of existing prostate cancer.
3. Prevented breast cancer from spreading to the lungs in mice.
4. May prevent melanoma and cause existing melanoma cells to commit suicide.
5. Reduces the risk of childhood leukemia.
6. Is a natural liver detoxifier.
7. May prevent and slow the progression of Alzheimer’s disease by removing amyloyd plaque buildup in the brain.
8. May prevent metastases from occurring in many different forms of cancer.
9. It is a potent natural anti-inflammatory that works as well as many anti-inflammatory drugs but without the side effects.
10. Has shown promise in slowing the progression of multiple sclerosis in mice.
11. Is a natural painkiller and cox-2 inhibitor.
12. May aid in fat metabolism and help in weight management.
13. Has long been used in Chinese medicine as a treatment for depression.
14. Because of its anti-inflammatory properties, it is a natural treatment for arthritis and rheumatoid arthritis.
15. Boosts the effects of chemo drug paclitaxel and reduces its side effects.
16. Promising studies are underway on the effects of turmeric on pancreatic cancer.
17. Studies are ongoing in the positive effects of turmeric on multiple myeloma.
18. Has been shown to stop the growth of new blood vessels in tumors.
19. Speeds up wound healing and assists in remodeling of damaged skin.
20. May help in the treatment of psoriasis and other inflammatory skin conditions.
Turmeric can be taken in powder or pill form. It is available in pill form in most health food stores, usually in 250-500mg capsules.
Once you start using turmeric on a regular basis, it’s fun to find new ways to use it in recipes. My favorite way to use it is to add a pinch of it to egg salad. It adds a nice flavor and gives the egg salad a rich yellow hue.
Contraindications: Turmeric should not be used by people with gallstones or bile obstruction. Though turmeric is often used by pregnant women, it is important to consult with a doctor before doing so as turmeric can be a uterine stimulant.
(08-27-2015, 09:11 PM)tornado Wrote:

Bromelane is also one of the ingredients in meat tenderizers. No wonder it relaxes muscles.

As for turmeric, I've mainly used it in pickling and risotto. After reading the below list, I will be adding it to more dishes, especially cauliflower.

[Image: 20-Health-Benefits-of-Turmeric.jpg]The active ingredient in turmeric is curcumin. Turmeric has been used for over 2500 years in India, where it was most likely first used as a dye.
The medicinal properties of this spice have been slowly revealing themselves over the centuries. Long known for its anti-inflammatory properties, recent research has revealed that turmeric is a natural wonder, proving beneficial in the treatment of many different health conditions from cancer to Alzheimer’s disease.

1. It is a natural antiseptic and antibacterial agent, useful in disinfecting cuts and burns.
2. When combined with cauliflower, it has shown to prevent prostate cancer and stop the growth of existing prostate cancer.
7. May prevent and slow the progression of Alzheimer’s disease by removing amyloyd plaque buildup in the brain.
9. It is a potent natural anti-inflammatory that works as well as many anti-inflammatory drugs but without the side effects.
14. Because of its anti-inflammatory properties, it is a natural treatment for arthritis and rheumatoid arthritis.
16. Promising studies are underway on the effects of turmeric on pancreatic cancer.
17. Studies are ongoing in the positive effects of turmeric on multiple myeloma.
20. May help in the treatment of psoriasis and other inflammatory skin conditions.
Turmeric can be taken in powder or pill form. It is available in pill form in most health food stores, usually in 250-500mg capsules.
Once you start using turmeric on a regular basis, it’s fun to find new ways to use it in recipes. My favorite way to use it is to add a pinch of it to egg salad. It adds a nice flavor and gives the egg salad a rich yellow hue.
Contraindications: Turmeric should not be used by people with gallstones or bile obstruction. Though turmeric is often used by pregnant women, it is important to consult with a doctor before doing so as turmeric can be a uterine stimulant.

Bromelain is an enzyme that is the same enzyme in pineapple. I suspect it works because it breaks down the tumeric and makes it more digestible and accessible.
I solved my problem. Heroin!  Eyebrows
(08-27-2015, 09:42 PM)Valuesize Wrote: I solved my problem. Heroin!  Eyebrows

That was easy!
(08-27-2015, 09:34 PM)Tiamat Wrote:

Bromelain is an enzyme that is the same enzyme in pineapple. I suspect it works because it breaks down the tumeric and makes it more digestible and accessible.

Any science to support this stuff? 
(08-27-2015, 10:01 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:

I'm whacking my sarcasm meter to see if it's working.   Honestly, there's tons of hype about stuff.  I've tried lots of things, and usually dont' get a lot of results. But when I do, I notice.
I should amend my testimonial to include it's not the most amazing thing I've ever taken for pain and it's better than heroin!  It just seems to be helpful to me along the lines of say Aleve which now is getting a bad rap. Aleve helps my pain. But not always. MSM/DSMO helps my pain, but not always. The tumeric seems to help too. But not always.  That's not proof.  That's anecdotal. Make of it what you will.
(08-27-2015, 10:13 PM)Tiamat Wrote: I should amend my testimonial to include it's not the most amazing thing I've ever taken for pain and it's better than heroin!  It just seems to be helpful to me along the lines of say Aleve which now is getting a bad rap. Aleve helps my pain. But not always. MSM/DSMO helps my pain, but not always. The tumeric seems to help too. But not always.  That's not proof.  That's anecdotal. Make of it what you will.

My Aunt Bee claims that prayer cures her pain. For her, I guess it does. Whatever works. 
(08-27-2015, 10:04 PM)Tiamat Wrote:
(08-27-2015, 08:38 PM)Tiamat Wrote: VS, I've had a LOT of luck with Tumeric&Bromelain.   Most alternative or herbal remedies are pretty iffy for me.  I  had another problem a few years back and a specific herb was a lifesaver for me.  Tumeric alone doesn't help me; it has to have the Bromelain in it.

I'm whacking my sarcasm meter to see if it's working.   Honestly, there's tons of hype about stuff.  I've tried lots of things, and usually dont' get a lot of results. But when I do, I notice.

http://umm.edu/health/medical/altmed/herb/turmeric
http://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-ca...wel-cancer
http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/ART03001/Thr...meric.html

3 Reasons to Eat Turmeric

Turmeric (Curcuma longa) is a culinary spice that spans cultures - it is a major ingredient in Indian curries, and makes American mustard yellow. But evidence is accumulating that this brightly colored relative of ginger is a promising disease-preventive agent as well, probably due largely to its anti-inflammatory action.
One of the most comprehensive summaries of turmeric studies to date was published by the respected ethnobotanist James A. Duke, Phd., in the October, 2007 issue of Alternative & Complementary Therapies, and summarized in the July, 2008, issue of the American Botanical Council publication HerbClip.
Reviewing some 700 studies, Duke concluded that turmeric appears to outperform many pharmaceuticals in its effects against several chronic, debilitating diseases, and does so with virtually no adverse side effects. Here are some of the diseases that turmeric has been found to help prevent or alleviate:
  • Alzheimer's disease: Duke found more than 50 studies on turmeric's effects in addressing Alzheimer's disease. The reports indicate that extracts of turmeric contain a number of natural agents that block the formation of beta-amyloid, the substance responsible for the plaques that slowly obstruct cerebral function in Alzheimer's disease.
  • Arthritis: Turmeric contains more than two dozen anti-inflammatory compounds, including sixdifferent COX-2-inhibitors (the COX-2 enzyme promotes pain, swelling and inflammation; inhibitors selectively block that enzyme). By itself, writes Duke, curcumin - the component in turmeric most often cited for its healthful effects - is a multifaceted anti-inflammatory agent, and studies of the efficacy of curcumin have demonstrated positive changes in arthritic symptoms.
  • Cancer: Duke found more than 200 citations for turmeric and cancer and more than 700 for curcumin and cancer. He noted that in the handbook Phytochemicals: Mechanisms of Action, curcumin and/or turmeric were effective in animal models in prevention and/or treatment of colon cancer, mammary cancer, prostate cancer, murine hepatocarcinogenesis (liver cancer in rats), esophageal cancer, and oral cancer. Duke said that the effectiveness of the herb against these cancers compared favorably with that reported for pharmaceuticals.
How can you get more turmeric into your diet? One way is via turmeric tea. There are also extracts in tablet and capsule form available in health food stores; look for supercritical extracts in dosages of 400 to 600 mg, and take three times daily or as directed on the product.
And, of course, one can simply indulge in more curried dishes, either in restaurants or at home. However you do it, adding turmeric to your diet is one of the best moves toward optimal health you can make.
(08-28-2015, 06:31 AM)tornado Wrote:
(08-27-2015, 10:04 PM)Tiamat Wrote:
(08-27-2015, 09:11 PM)tornado Wrote: Bromelane is also one of the ingredients in meat tenderizers. No wonder it relaxes muscles.

http://umm.edu/health/medical/altmed/herb/turmeric
http://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-ca...wel-cancer
http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/ART03001/Thr...meric.html

3 Reasons to Eat Turmeric

Turmeric (Curcuma longa) is a culinary spice that spans cultures - it is a major ingredient in Indian curries, and makes American mustard yellow. But evidence is accumulating that this brightly colored relative of ginger is a promising disease-preventive agent as well, probably due largely to its anti-inflammatory action.
One of the most comprehensive summaries of turmeric studies to date was published by the respected ethnobotanist James A. Duke, Phd., in the October, 2007 issue of Alternative & Complementary Therapies, and summarized in the July, 2008, issue of the American Botanical Council publication HerbClip.
Reviewing some 700 studies, Duke concluded that turmeric appears to outperform many pharmaceuticals in its effects against several chronic, debilitating diseases, and does so with virtually no adverse side effects. Here are some of the diseases that turmeric has been found to help prevent or alleviate:
  • Alzheimer's disease: Duke found more than 50 studies on turmeric's effects in addressing Alzheimer's disease. The reports indicate that extracts of turmeric contain a number of natural agents that block the formation of beta-amyloid, the substance responsible for the plaques that slowly obstruct cerebral function in Alzheimer's disease.
  • Arthritis: Turmeric contains more than two dozen anti-inflammatory compounds, including sixdifferent COX-2-inhibitors (the COX-2 enzyme promotes pain, swelling and inflammation; inhibitors selectively block that enzyme). By itself, writes Duke, curcumin - the component in turmeric most often cited for its healthful effects - is a multifaceted anti-inflammatory agent, and studies of the efficacy of curcumin have demonstrated positive changes in arthritic symptoms.
  • Cancer: Duke found more than 200 citations for turmeric and cancer and more than 700 for curcumin and cancer. He noted that in the handbook Phytochemicals: Mechanisms of Action, curcumin and/or turmeric were effective in animal models in prevention and/or treatment of colon cancer, mammary cancer, prostate cancer, murine hepatocarcinogenesis (liver cancer in rats), esophageal cancer, and oral cancer. Duke said that the effectiveness of the herb against these cancers compared favorably with that reported for pharmaceuticals.
How can you get more turmeric into your diet? One way is via turmeric tea. There are also extracts in tablet and capsule form available in health food stores; look for supercritical extracts in dosages of 400 to 600 mg, and take three times daily or as directed on the product.
And, of course, one can simply indulge in more curried dishes, either in restaurants or at home. However you do it, adding turmeric to your diet is one of the best moves toward optimal health you can make.
" adding turmeric to your diet is one of the best moves toward optimal health you can make."

You might want to turn that into a middle of the night TV infomercial!  Laughing 
God knows there could never be any question that it's fact. 
We grew turmeric this year from whole turmeric root. I don't use turmeric for medicinal purposes, but I eat a lot of curries and other Indian foods with turmeric in it. 

My brother started using turmeric root in combination with red rice yeast as a alternative to Lipitor for controlling chloresstrol. If he does not see any results within a few months, he plans to get back on a statin. Personally, I am a bit skeptical of the medical benifits of turmeric. I will research it and see what scientists say. I tend to trust them more than hippy naturalists.  Rolling Eyes
(08-28-2015, 07:36 AM)cletus1 Wrote: My brother started using turmeric root in combination with red rice yeast as a alternative to Lipitor for controlling chloresstrol. If he does not see any results within a few months, he plans to get back on a statin. 

Statins are poison. I know many people who got a very common side effect from taking them. Permanent side effects that nothing helps at all. Called poly neuropathy. Numb feet and legs. Pain in hips, and elsewhere. Falls, as a result of these things. Broken bones as a result of those things. My mother is only one of the folks I know that has this. She was on Lipitor for only a month. Both of her feet are numb all the time. It has been like 18 years since she was on it.
My husband uses 2000mg of flush-free niacin each day. It dropped his cholesterol #'s more than 100 points in 3 months. & has kept it down for several years with no side effects.

Oh, and as far as the topic, I prefer aspirin over ibuprofen or naproxen. Works great for anything I need it for.
(08-28-2015, 08:28 AM)tealeaf Wrote:
(08-28-2015, 07:36 AM)cletus1 Wrote: My brother started using turmeric root in combination with red rice yeast as a alternative to Lipitor for controlling chloresstrol. If he does not see any results within a few months, he plans to get back on a statin. 

Statins are poison. I know many people who got a very common side effect from taking them. Permanent side effects that nothing helps at all. Called poly neuropathy. Numb feet and legs. Pain in hips, and elsewhere. Falls, as a result of these things. Broken bones as a result of those things. My mother is only one of the folks I know that has this. She was on Lipitor for only a month. Both of her feet are numb all the time. It has been like 18 years since she was on it.
My husband uses 2000mg of flush-free niacin each day. It dropped his cholesterol #'s more than 100 points in 3 months. & has kept it down for several years with no side effects.

Oh, and as far as the topic, I prefer aspirin over ibuprofen or naproxen. Works great for anything I need it for.
Just over the counter Niacin? I've heard a variety of things about the quality of the Niacin taken for best effect.
(08-28-2015, 08:35 AM)Tiamat Wrote:

Just over the counter Niacin? I've heard a variety of things about the quality of the Niacin taken for best effect.

Yes. But you definitely want the flush-free. A flush can break through every now and then, but a single aspirin takes care of it right away. Break up the dose over the day. He takes it 4x a day. He's on a LOT of different medications, and it does not interact with them, but it's always good to ask your doctor.
Talk to your doctor. You can just call and ask, you don't need an appointment.
(08-28-2015, 08:44 AM)tealeaf Wrote:
(08-28-2015, 08:35 AM)Tiamat Wrote:

Yes. But you definitely want the flush-free. A flush can break through every now and then, but a single aspirin takes care of it right away. Break up the dose over the day. He takes it 4x a day. He's on a LOT of different medications, and it does not interact with them, but it's always good to ask your doctor.
Talk to your doctor. You can just call and ask, you don't need an appointment.

Just curious:  What is a flush and what is flush free?  So far I don't have cholesterol concerns.  I find if I just remember to exercise enough that's enough for me.
The flush is sorta like a hot flash. You get waves of heat and you turn bright red. I guess it burns the cholesterol away lol.
(08-28-2015, 08:52 AM)tealeaf Wrote: The flush is sorta like a hot flash. You get waves of heat and you turn bright red.  I guess it burns the cholesterol away lol.

Oh, yes, I've heard of that. It's a side effect.  I thought you speaking of a function.