American Made
(03-15-2015, 04:53 PM)GPnative Wrote: Strangers, friends or foes, I always hate to hear of anyone losing their life to cancer......

Where's my LIKE button? Smiling
Cancer sucks.
I'm sorry for the loss of your friend.
Cancer sucks, and it does not discriminate.

I want to thank everyone for their responses. You have all been kind and treated this memorial thread with dignity and respect, with the exception of one who decided it was yet another soapbox opportunity. I did not expect anyone to pontificate about it, but I will endeavor in the future to take into consideration his age and possible lapse in judgement and good taste. I never intended to lash out at Wonky, but there is "a time and place", and I still feel he went over that line here.

Thank you Kenny (AM), for being an example of a genuinely good man. I will miss you.
(03-16-2015, 07:39 PM)Hugo Wrote: Cancer sucks, and it does not discriminate.

I want to thank everyone for their responses. You have all been kind and treated this memorial thread with dignity and respect, with the exception of one who decided it was yet another soapbox opportunity. I did not expect anyone to pontificate about it, but I will endeavor in the future to take into consideration his age and possible lapse in judgement and good taste. I never intended to lash out at Wonky, but there is "a time and place", and I still feel he went over that line here.

Thank you Kenny (AM), for being an example of a genuinely good man. I will miss you.

Maybe you turned the death of your friend into a soapbox opportunity.

I lost a friend three days ago. The death was unexpected because our friend was not ill. I never thought to post anything here or anywhere else because I am not not looking for packaged sympathy from people.

Come on dude, what the fuck am I supposed to do when I hear about someone dying, play the so sorry for your loss game?

I am however sorry that we all have to die. In my opinion memorial threads with a tiny little clue about the politics of the dearly departed really suck. Although, I might start one for my gay atheist friend after he dies and goes to heaven.
(03-16-2015, 08:15 PM)Snail Wrote: Maybe you turned the death of your friend into a soapbox opportunity.
I didn't see it as a soapbox moment.
He was simply sharing news of a former MTF member, for other former members who are still around. That he was Larry's friend is moot, IMO.
If anyone here didn't know him, or doesn't care, why comment??

Sorry Larry. It's hard to lose a friend.
(03-16-2015, 08:15 PM)Snail Wrote:

Maybe you turned the death of your friend into a soapbox opportunity.
Or maybe it is just part of his grieving process. You don't know and there fore should not judge.
Quote:
I lost a friend three days ago. The death was unexpected because our friend was not ill. I never thought to post anything here or anywhere else because I am not not looking for packaged sympathy from people.

Not everyone in the world is like you. Not everyone reacts as you do. Look around you and it's easy to see.
Quote:Come on dude, what the fuck am I supposed to do when I hear about someone dying, play the so sorry for your loss game?
I suppose you could just not say anything. No one is "supposed" to say anything. Some CHOOSE to say nothing. Some CHOOSE to say something nice. Some CHOOSE to talk shit. You know where you stand in those options.
Quote:I am however sorry that we all have to die. In my opinion memorial threads with a tiny little clue about the politics of the dearly departed really suck. Although, I might start one for my gay atheist friend after he dies and goes to heaven.
Knock yourself out.
Thank you tealeaf and gapper.

Mentioning the loss of someone special one meets or has a long history with from an online forum is not strange nor unusual. Especially when you consider the ratio of the good and bad personas one finds on internet forums.

I wanted to not respond to this immediately, but rather wait to make sure I was not caught in the emotion of the moment.
So...
"My age and possible lapse in judgement and good taste"? Really?
In my original post I included the remark "remembering this good person". I feel that expresses the emotion necessary to honor the intent of your post.
Because of his chosen forum name I thought it might be a tribute of sorts to expand on the value of "Made in America" and validate it with a few words of what Made in American means to me (and others) thinking that it dovetailed with what his forum name suggested. I would guess he chose that forum name with some thought as to the value of what it must have meant to him.
So, I don't feel I "pontificated" or made inappropriate remarks, nor did I in any way disrespect the memory of this former member. In fact, given his forum name I hope I supported his view that Made in American by folks who actually work for a living is a good and valuable thing.
And so you responded by suggesting it was a "memorial topic" (we don't have one) and finally by suggesting "I go fuck myself" because you didn't consider my remarks appropriate.

Your default response of "go fuck yourself" goes back a long way here. It's way over the top, unnecessary, and suggests that you lack the ability to express contrary views with anything more intelligent.

So, "be done with me". I won't feel any loss. But this is a public forum and your remark "go fuck yourself" might be better expressed in a PM or some other form so others don't have to be subjected to it.

So, I'll stand by my original remarks. I don't claim that I was perfect or eloquent in how I expressed them but I was sincere, meant no disrespect, and in retrospect see no lack of respect in what I posted.

I have nothing else to add and don't bother with another "fuck you"...It will be a waste of time.