RIP RVF
(03-25-2015, 09:46 PM)Tiamat Wrote: Big GrinSmilingI was also referring to your lack of knowledge of an entire community of intellectuals and internet activists.

But also, I don't think you really understand Facebook, although you profess too. (and dislike it) I dislike it myself. But it's what is available. I like the forum a lot better.

my " lack of knowledge of an entire community of intellectuals and internet activists."

Well, okay. Kinda vague.
Again.

And again, we have jumped the tracks and allowed the conversation to drift too far from the subject.
Perhaps this is a good example of why the forum is struggling. I wonder if when we bump into this kind of off subject stuff we might be better to agree to start another thread to continue with it?

I think it's important to continue to examine the reasons The Forum is in trouble. Those of us who have been involved for a long time might need to look back at the history of what hasn't worked and try to adapt to a new and different tone in the way we interact in hopes of breathing new life here.

Or, maybe the point has been proven: God knows we have given it enough time. There may be a chance that this place can't survive with the members who remain, and does not attract new folks who might improve the content.

Perhaps those here who admire Facebook or Google+ should use that venue to start a Rogue Valley Group and see if that format might improve things. Or not.

My personal feeling is that we are on the cusp of finding if this place is worth saving or if those of us who are debating the worth will simply fade away and let the thing find it's own level of survival, if that's possible.

Sad, all the way around. But "it is what it is".

RIP? I think we will know sooner than later.
Interesting topic.
I'm an avid Facebook user and it's value, venues and privacy settings are what draw me to it.
I am reading some comments here that tell me there is much some don't know or understand about FB.
I use it as a marketing tool as well as engaging in several different groups, most of which are only local folks.

I run into many that attempt to denounce FB, who really don't know many of the nuances associated with it, but would like to think they do.

What stands out most to me here, is that in a thread lamenting the perceived or alleged death of this forum, are comments that seem to indicate those that use FB as a social venue, are somehow "needy" or looking for attention. I hate to burst anyone's bubble, but crying over the possible death of yet another internet forum sounds, well, a bit "needy" to me..
(03-26-2015, 07:48 AM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(03-25-2015, 09:46 PM)Tiamat Wrote: Big GrinSmilingI was also referring to your lack of knowledge of an entire community of intellectuals and internet activists.

But also, I don't think you really understand Facebook, although you profess too. (and dislike it) I dislike it myself. But it's what is available. I like the forum a lot better.

my " lack of knowledge of an entire community of intellectuals and internet activists."

Well, okay. Kinda vague.
Again.

And again, we have jumped the tracks and allowed the conversation to drift too far from the subject.
Perhaps this is a good example of why the forum is struggling. I wonder if when we bump into this kind of off subject stuff we might be better to agree to start another thread to continue with it?

I think it's important to continue to examine the reasons The Forum is in trouble. Those of us who have been involved for a long time might need to look back at the history of what hasn't worked and try to adapt to a new and different tone in the way we interact in hopes of breathing new life here.

Or, maybe the point has been proven: God knows we have given it enough time. There may be a chance that this place can't survive with the members who remain, and does not attract new folks who might improve the content.

Perhaps those here who admire Facebook or Google+ should use that venue to start a Rogue Valley Group and see if that format might improve things. Or not.

My personal feeling is that we are on the cusp of finding if this place is worth saving or if those of us who are debating the worth will simply fade away and let the thing find it's own level of survival, if that's possible.

Not vague, Wonky. I clearly referred to the two threads we have been posting in. I'm going to chalk your little jab up to memory loss perhaps. And when in doubt, shout "thread drift!" You know, thread drift can be annoying but it also is what makes conversation and discussion dynamic and interesting. You are using it as a defense for no defense.

Gapper said:

Quote:I run into many that attempt to denounce FB, who really don't know many of the nuances associated with it, but would like to think they do.

I think a lot of people who are saying that are people who tried it a few years back and didn't like it. I STILL don't like but I've learned to work it instead of it working me. Maybe that's the difference.
(03-26-2015, 10:00 AM)Tiamat Wrote:
(03-26-2015, 07:48 AM)Wonky3 Wrote:

Well, okay. Kinda vague.
Again.

Not vague, Wonky. I clearly referred to the two threads we have been posting in. I'm going to chalk your little jab up to memory loss perhaps. And when in doubt, shout "thread drift!" You know, thread drift can be annoying but it also is what makes conversation and discussion dynamic and interesting. You are using it as a defense for no defense.

Gapper said:

Quote:I run into many that attempt to denounce FB, who really don't know many of the nuances associated with it, but would like to think they do.

I think a lot of people who are saying that are people who tried it a few years back and didn't like it. I STILL don't like but I've learned to work it instead of it working me. Maybe that's the difference.

"..but I've learned to work it instead of it working me. Maybe that's the difference.".
I think you've nailed it.
Quote:Leave Facebook if you don't want to be spied on, warns EU
European Commission admits Safe Harbour framework cannot ensure privacy of EU citizens’ data when sent to the US by American internet firms

The European Commission has warned EU citizens that they should close their Facebook accounts if they want to keep information private from US security services, finding that current Safe Harbour legislation does not protect citizen’s data.
The comments were made by EC attorney Bernhard Schima in a case brought by privacy campaigner Maximilian Schrems, looking at whether the data of EU citizens should be considered safe if sent to the US in a post-Snowden revelation landscape.
“You might consider closing your Facebook account, if you have one,” Schima told attorney general Yves Bot in a hearing of the case at the European court of justice in Luxembourg. When asked directly, the commission could not confirm to the court that the Safe Harbour rules provide adequate protection of EU citizens’ data as it currently stands.
The US no longer qualifies
The case, dubbed “the Facebook data privacy case”, concerns the current Safe Harbour framework, which covers the transmission of EU citizens’ data across the Atlantic to the US. Without the framework, it is against EU law to transmit private data outside of the EU. The case collects complaints lodged against Apple, Facebook, Microsoft, Microsoft-owned Skype and Yahoo. Schrems maintains that companies operating inside the EU should not be allowed to transfer data to the US under Safe Harbour protections – which state that US data protection rules are adequate if information is passed by companies on a “self-certify” basis – because the US no longer qualifies for such a status. Poland and a few other member states as well as advocacy group Digital Rights The case argues that the US government’s Prism data collection programme, revealed by Edward Snowden in the NSA files, which sees EU citizens’ data held by US companies passed on to US intelligence agencies, breaches the EU’s Data Protection Directive “adequacy” standard for privacy protection, meaning that the Safe Harbour framework no longer applies.
Ireland joined Schrems in arguing that the Safe Harbour framework cannot ensure the protection of EU citizens’ data and therefore is in violation of the two articles of the Data Protection Directive. The commission, however, argued that Safe Harbour is necessary both politically and economically and that it is still a work in progress. The EC and the Ireland data protection watchdog argue that the EC should be left to reform it with a 13-point plan to ensure the privacy of EU citizens’ data. “There have been a spate of cases from the ECJ and other courts on data privacy and retention showing the judiciary as being more than willing to be a disrupting influence,” said Paula Barrett, partner and data protection expert at law firm Eversheds. “Bringing down the safe harbour mechanism might seem politically and economically ill-conceived, but as the decision of the ECJ in the so-called ‘right to be forgotten’ case seems to reinforce that isn’t a fetter which the ECJ is restrained by.” An opinion on the Safe Harbour framework from the ECJ is expected by 24 June.
Facebook declined to comment.
http://www.theguardian.com/technology/20...privacy-us
Too little, too late. If you can be surveilled, you will be surveilled. That is both government and private sectors, legal or not. Your digital information IS gathered and stored but whether they can use it against you in a court for example would still be up to a judge decide.

[Image: Post-364799-0-14742000-1345205066.jpg]
(03-25-2015, 08:33 PM)oregon 67 Wrote: Another thing is as wonky alluded to here we have an anonymous persona, on fb we all know each other more or less. We would not say some of the outrageous things if we were known personally.

That exactly right and it's both a good thing and a bad thing. I was taught by my mother to NEVER discuss politics or religion with friends.

But this forum is mostly all about both. On facebook ( yes I am there) I would never say Christianity is a a big fat myth because that would be offensive to friends and family. I won't say that people who believe in karma are ignorant hippies. I won't say that astrology is for morons.
I won't say that pitbulls SUCK and are a horrible choice for a pet
Usually forums like this are NOT friends and family.
So people say what's REALLY on their mind. That IMO has always been the beauty of this place.

So yes people might not say the "outrageous things" on facebook but they also probably are not near as honest about their true opinions.

Also I don't see any malcontent America haters who post daily about what a shithole country this is like a few posters we have had.
(03-26-2015, 07:48 AM)Wonky3 Wrote: And again, we have jumped the tracks and allowed the conversation to drift too far from the subject.

Unbelievable that you STILL think jumping the tracks and allowing the conversation to drift Is horrible and why the forum is dying.
Unbelievable that you STILL think "WE" are EVER going to adapt to a new and different tone in the way we interact in hopes of breathing new life here.

Unbelievable.
(03-26-2015, 04:24 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(03-26-2015, 07:48 AM)Wonky3 Wrote: And again, we have jumped the tracks and allowed the conversation to drift too far from the subject.

Unbelievable that you STILL think jumping the tracks and allowing the conversation to drift Is horrible and why the forum is dying.
Unbelievable that you STILL think "WE" are EVER going to adapt to a new and different tone in the way we interact in hopes of breathing new life here.

Unbelievable.

Please see "Movies", post 1021 (if you are interested). Or not. Whatever.
Maybe if we all had a sock puppet, the forum would look busier.
(03-26-2015, 04:16 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(03-25-2015, 08:33 PM)oregon 67 Wrote: Another thing is as wonky alluded to here we have an anonymous persona, on fb we all know each other more or less. We would not say some of the outrageous things if we were known personally.

That exactly right and it's both a good thing and a bad thing. I was taught by my mother to NEVER discuss politics or religion with friends.

But this forum is mostly all about both. On facebook ( yes I am there) I would never say Christianity is a a big fat myth because that would be offensive to friends and family. I won't say that people who believe in karma are ignorant hippies. I won't say that astrology is for morons.
So people say what's REALLY on their mind. That IMO has always been the beauty of this place.

So yes people might not say the "outrageous things" on facebook but they also probably are not near as honest about their true opinions.

Also I don't see any malcontent America haters who post daily about what a shithole country this is like a few posters we have had.

Nailed it.

Turn out the light on your way out, would you?

I don't really have that problem. Since I post mostly in closed groups, friends and family don't see what I post unless they are part of that group also.
(03-26-2015, 05:42 PM)Tiamat Wrote:

I don't really have that problem. Since I post mostly in closed groups, friends and family don't see what I post unless they are part of that group also.

I feel you totally missed his point. Facebook is more POLITE by it's very nature.

This place was NEVER MEANT TO BE POLITE. That is what the whiners who came over from Grants Pass never understood, so they destroyed it when they could not remake it in the image they desired.

But hey, that's just one opinion.
(03-26-2015, 05:56 PM)Hugo Wrote:
(03-26-2015, 05:42 PM)Tiamat Wrote:

I feel you totally missed his point. Facebook is more POLITE by it's very nature.

This place was NEVER MEANT TO BE POLITE. That is what the whiners who came over from Grants Pass never understood, so they destroyed it when they could not remake it in the image they desired.

But hey, that's just one opinion.

Should have read the above closer.
oops!didn't miss it anyway. Closed groups are NOT (always) polite!
(03-26-2015, 09:33 AM)gapper Wrote: Interesting topic.
I'm an avid Facebook user and it's value, venues and privacy settings are what draw me to it.
I am reading some comments here that tell me there is much some don't know or understand about FB.
I use it as a marketing tool as well as engaging in several different groups, most of which are only local folks.

I run into many that attempt to denounce FB, who really don't know many of the nuances associated with it, but would like to think they do.

What stands out most to me here, is that in a thread lamenting the perceived or alleged death of this forum, are comments that seem to indicate those that use FB as a social venue, are somehow "needy" or looking for attention. I hate to burst anyone's bubble, but crying over the possible death of yet another internet forum sounds, well, a bit "needy" to me..

Let me tell you why you are kind of full of shit. First off, nobody is crying about this forums possible demise. Those are your words. I simply made an observation.

And "needy" may be a strong word, but my broad brush inditement of Facebook, which is admittedly a generalization on my part, is in my opinion more true than not. You know what I mean? Like "did you see what I wrote on my wall?" Or check out this selfie of me and whoever.

Facebook is in my opinion, a venue for self promotion, not that Facebook isn't a good way to stay in touch with friends and family. Personally, I don't want to share my life that closely with others especially not friends of friends. And I know I can set my own parameters.
Go Snail! I love seeing your posts.

One thing I do feel is that it's hard to have "discussion" on FB.
(03-26-2015, 09:48 PM)Snail Wrote:

Let me tell you why you are kind of full of shit. First off, nobody is crying about this forums possible demise. Those are your words. I simply made an observation.
Well, I believe it was Wonky, that mentioned it being "sad". So, maybe even though I am "kind of full of shit" in your mind, but since it is not all about you, maybe you are completely full of shit....?? Maybe he wasn't "crying" literally, but to cry when sad is not unheard of, by any means.
Quote:And "needy" may be a strong word, but my broad brush inditement of Facebook, which is admittedly a generalization on my part, is in my opinion more true than not. You know what I mean? Like "did you see what I wrote on my wall?" Or check out this selfie of me and whoever.
Sort of like thinking all comments on this thread are directed towards you...??
Yeah, needy.
Quote:Facebook is in my opinion, a venue for self promotion, not that Facebook isn't a good way to stay in touch with friends and family. Personally, I don't want to share my life that closely with others especially not friends of friends. And I know I can set my own parameters.

I think you don't know how to work your privacy settings if you are concerned about "friends of friends" seeing your self promoting posts. If you know how to set your own parameters, there is no reason to be concerned with friends of friends seeing you posts.
(03-27-2015, 12:11 PM)gapper Wrote:
(03-26-2015, 09:48 PM)Snail Wrote:

Well, I believe it was Wonky, that mentioned it being "sad". So, maybe even though I am "kind of full of shit" in your mind, but since it is not all about you, maybe you are completely full of shit....?? Maybe he wasn't "crying" literally, but to cry when sad is not unheard of, by any means.
Quote:And "needy" may be a strong word, but my broad brush inditement of Facebook, which is admittedly a generalization on my part, is in my opinion more true than not. You know what I mean? Like "did you see what I wrote on my wall?" Or check out this selfie of me and whoever.
Sort of like thinking all comments on this thread are directed towards you...??
Yeah, needy.
Quote:Facebook is in my opinion, a venue for self promotion, not that Facebook isn't a good way to stay in touch with friends and family. Personally, I don't want to share my life that closely with others especially not friends of friends. And I know I can set my own parameters.

I think you don't know how to work your privacy settings if you are concerned about "friends of friends" seeing your self promoting posts. If you know how to set your own parameters, there is no reason to be concerned with friends of friends seeing you posts.

This is so. I can't see what you don't allow me to see.
(03-27-2015, 05:13 PM)Tiamat Wrote:
(03-27-2015, 12:11 PM)gapper Wrote: I think you don't know how to work your privacy settings if you are concerned about "friends of friends" seeing your self promoting posts. If you know how to set your own parameters, there is no reason to be concerned with friends of friends seeing you posts.

And... you can even BLOCK specific people. Once blocked, it's as if you don't even exist to the person on Facebook.
(03-27-2015, 06:05 PM)Scrapper Wrote:
(03-27-2015, 05:13 PM)Tiamat Wrote:
(03-27-2015, 12:11 PM)gapper Wrote: I think you don't know how to work your privacy settings if you are concerned about "friends of friends" seeing your self promoting posts. If you know how to set your own parameters, there is no reason to be concerned with friends of friends seeing you posts.

And... you can even BLOCK specific people. Once blocked, it's as if you don't even exist to the person on Facebook.

You can also block SEEING a persons posts who is listed as a friend.

They won't know it. I have done this to a couple people who basically post too much crap That I eventually get tired of scrolling pastLaughing

I'm interested in these "closed groups" what's up with that.