Baseball
I should have been a pitcher instead of drinking pitchers. How do you spend $31 million a year?
http://la.suntimes.com/los-angeles-dodge...yroll-2015

The Dodgers are taking the top spot for another year… at least when it comes to Major League Baseball’s finances.

The Dodgers will have the top payroll across the entire league in 2015, blowing away the competition (including the New York Yankees) by at least $60 million, at $272 million.

The top five contracts on the Dodgers (per season)
Clayton Kershaw ($31 million)
Zack Greinke ($27 million)
Adrian Gonzalez ($21 million)
Carl Crawford ($21 million)
Andre Ethier ($18 million)
How come I don't see Burt Hooton on that list???
[Image: Hooton.jpg]
(04-02-2015, 08:04 PM)Big Rock Wrote: How come I don't see Burt Hooton on that list???
[Image: Hooton.jpg]

LaughingLaughingLaughing Now THAT would be news. A 65 year old guy on the mound. Even Saecheal (sp?) Page would envy that.
Satchel Paige
(04-03-2015, 10:57 PM)bbqboy Wrote: Satchel Paige

Dear God, I don't know how to thank you! A cake? Money? Wash your truck?

I was in a hurry. Shoot me. I do have the skills to stop and look up the correct spelling of Satchel but just didn't want to take the time. So, I misspelled the last name too (now that I did know) hoping to point to the point, as it we're.

And speaking of taking time, you might to SOMEDAY want to consider using the "Reply" function. In this case your post followed the one you made reference to, but often someone slips in a post before yours follows and muddies the waters. Just a thought. You know, a thought: Not just a reaction but an original offering rather than a simple reaction to what others provide.

But, I know you are not well. Maybe this is your best. If so, God love and keep you.

So, I got it. You corrected the name of Satchel Paige. Thank God, because otherwise no one would have had a clue who it was. Point taken.
Tonight (April 5), a bit after 5:00 PM, the St. Louis Cards and the Chicago Cubs square off for the first baseball game of the 2015 season.
Again, the stars are aligned, god is in his heaven, all is right with the world and until the frost settles on the pumpkin we will have Baseball to ward off the evils of the real world.

And if you can hit a curve ball you can make tons of money. If, like me, you can't hit a curve ball you can still enjoy watching those who have the many skills to play this almost perfect game. (Actually I listen more than watch....thank you MLB.COM)

Is this a great country, or what!

Let the middle east go to hell. The IMPORTANT thing now is which teams will play in the World Series of Baseball.

PLAY BALL!
(04-05-2015, 08:26 AM)Wonky3 Wrote: Tonight (April 5), a bit after 5:00 PM, the St. Louis Cards and the Chicago Cubs square off for the first baseball game of the 2015 season.
Again, the stars are aligned, god is in his heaven, all is right with the world and until the frost settles on the pumpkin we will have Baseball to ward off the evils of the real world.

And if you can hit a curve ball you can make tons of money. If, like me, you can't hit a curve ball you can still enjoy watching those who have the many skills to play this almost perfect game. (Actually I listen more than watch....thank you MLB.COM)

Is this a great country, or what!

Let the middle east go to hell. The IMPORTANT thing now is which teams will play in the World Series of Baseball.

PLAY BALL!

Well...
For those of you who might have tuned into ESPN-2, I hope you enjoyed it more than I did. They covered far too much other than the game being played. Far too much chatter from the "color" guys who talked over the action going on while guys were running bases, etc.
I gave up on TV and went to MLB.COM radio and listened to the St. Louis radio broadcasters and while better, they too seemed to be distracted by opening day.
Oh well...
Today the regular season starts and things should return to normal. Giants/D-Backs at 7:00 PM on MLB.COM and the Giants broadcasting crew does good work. (LA Broadcasters great also, but a Giant's fan, I'll have to forgo Vin Scully and listen to Giants crew. Maybe Dodgers/Padres tomorrow night)
I consider Baseball to be the most boring and worthless of professional sports. Just my opinion.
Many Oregonians just don't get baseball... I think it's because there's no pro team around here. I grew up on the Padres and loved my time spent at the ball park. Since moving to Oregon (other than when our son played little league) I haven't enjoyed it all. Watching it on the Boob Tube doesn't do it for me. It may as well be Golf, Tennis or Bowling... No bueno!
(04-06-2015, 08:30 AM)Hugo Wrote: I consider Baseball to be the most boring and worthless of professional sports. Just my opinion.

Opinons are like rectums. Everybody's got one. Big Grin
(04-06-2015, 09:39 AM)Scrapper Wrote: Many Oregonians just don't get baseball... I think it's because there's no pro team around here. I grew up on the Padres and loved my time spent at the ball park. Since moving to Oregon (other than when our son played little league) I haven't enjoyed it all. Watching it on the Boob Tube doesn't do it for me. It may as well be Golf, Tennis or Bowling... No bueno!

That we as Southern Oregonians don't have any team may certainly be part of the reason. I enjoyed coaching when my boys were in little league, as it is good for boys to experience team sports, but the "game" of baseball just never really held my attention. I too put it with watching golf tennis and bowling.
(04-06-2015, 11:21 AM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(04-06-2015, 08:30 AM)Hugo Wrote: I consider Baseball to be the most boring and worthless of professional sports. Just my opinion.

It wasn't a slight against you, asshole. Big Grin
(04-06-2015, 03:16 PM)Hugo Wrote:

And I didn't take it as a slight. Your opinion after all was about baseball, not me. I was, however, curious about your word "worthless". But whatever, enjoying baseball is not required.
(04-06-2015, 08:32 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:

And I didn't take it as a slight. Your opinion after all was about baseball, not me. I was, however, curious about your word "worthless". But whatever, enjoying baseball is not required.

Your comment pretty much made YOU sound like the "asshole" Wonky simply said everyone has an opinion, he didn't call you anything.

Yeah Hugo sheesh. I can't watch Baseball games either. Maybe the world series but even then I seem to lose interest.
But I don't and won't watch any basketball or golf and even football can't get my to sit on my ass for two hours.

But I wouldn't call any of it worthless.
(04-07-2015, 11:06 AM)tvguy Wrote:

Your comment pretty much made YOU sound like the "asshole" Wonky simply said everyone has an opinion, he didn't call you anything.

Yeah Hugo sheesh. I can't watch Baseball games either. Maybe the world series but even then I seem to lose interest.
But I don't and won't watch any basketball or golf and even football can't get my to sit on my ass for two hours.

I enjoy basketball a bit 'cause it's pretty simple to watch. One team brings the ball downcourt, works it around (maybe even sets up a "play") and shoots. The ball goes the other way and about the same thing happens. Pretty basic. And by the way, a really good game for TV because one can really see about all that happens.

Football, kind of the same thing if a bit more complex because of individual moves required by different skills sets. Still, get the ball over the goal line and the other team gets the ball for a try at it. Fun to watch. One does not need to really know the importance of a "pulling guard:" on a running play to appreciate it.

Baseball is a whole different story. 1st this: Baseball is the only team sport where the DEFENSE has control of the ball. There is no clock. 27 outs and the game is over.
Baseball is slow until it gets fast and then it's so fast that it''s often hard to keep up with. (For instance, runners on 1st and 2nd, a hard hit ball to the base of the fence in the outfield, and try to keep up will all that's happening...you can't watch the ball and the runners at the same time...at least not until you learn how)
It's recognized in the sporting world that hitting a pitched baseball is the most difficult thing in major league sports. The very best are successful about a third of the time. This is a hard game to master.

Baseball is a team sport, but effected mostly by individual achievement, compared to other sports. For instance, Michael Jordan had exceptional skills and could "carry" a basketball team...but he was always interacting with supporting players who made his great play possible (Think Scotty Pippin). When the best NLF Quarterback goes back to throw a pass he best have a good offensive line and some recievers with good hands.

When a baseball player is at bat, he has no one to "assist" him. It's him and the pitcher and may the best man win. When a center fielder goes back on a ball hit long and hard, it's only his skill that makes, or does not make, the play. Each ground ball to a infielder is HIS responsibility.

But that's only the 1st page of a long book. The real joy of baseball is "the game within the game". Consider this: It's 90 feet from home plate to 1st base. The baseball gods were there: Had it been 80 feet lots and lots of speedy players would reach base and the game scores would be high and the game drag. At 100 feet, very few would reach base on ground balls and the games would be boring and end in 1-0 scores.

An "unwritten" baseball rule is that a runner at 2nd base NEVER makes the 1st or third or 3rd out at third base. Takes some thought, but it make perfect baseball sense. Little things like this: "The game within the game".

And outfielder throwing to the wrong base or missing "the cut-off" man can cause the team to lose in a close game. The ability of a hitter to hit the the right side of the infield and advance a runner to 3rd is highly valued even though the batter simply makes" an out" and his batting average suffers. The game within the game.

And so on. It's not a game to be watched a couple of times and enjoyed. And because in MLB they play 162 games in the regular season, teams must learn to lose games without "getting down". All teams (even the worst) will win 50 games. The best teams will lose at least 50. It's those other 60+ games "in the middle" that count and it's one reason it's fun to watch a complete season of baseball.

But hey, there are lots of other teams sports that are fun to watch. I just happen to think baseball is special. That's just me.
(04-07-2015, 01:42 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(04-06-2015, 11:21 AM)Wonky3 Wrote: Opinons are like rectums. Everybody's got one. Big Grin

I enjoy basketball a bit 'cause it's pretty simple to watch. One team brings the ball downcourt, works it around (maybe even sets up a "play") and shoots. The ball goes the other way and about the same thing happens. Pretty basic. And by the way, a really good game for TV because one can really see about all that happens.

Football, kind of the same thing if a bit more complex because of individual moves required by different skills sets. Still, get the ball over the goal line and the other team gets the ball for a try at it. Fun to watch. One does not need to really know the importance of a "pulling guard:" on a running play to appreciate it.

Baseball is a whole different story. 1st this: Baseball is the only team sport where the DEFENSE has control of the ball. There is no clock. 27 outs and the game is over.
Baseball is slow until it gets fast and then it's so fast that it''s often hard to keep up with. (For instance, runners on 1st and 2nd, a hard hit ball to the base of the fence in the outfield, and try to keep up will all that's happening...you can't watch the ball and the runners at the same time...at least not until you learn how)
It's recognized in the sporting world that hitting a pitched baseball is the most difficult thing in major league sports. The very best are successful about a third of the time. This is a hard game to master.

Baseball is a team sport, but effected mostly by individual achievement, compared to other sports. For instance, Michael Jordan had exceptional skills and could "carry" a basketball team...but he was always interacting with supporting players who made his great play possible (Think Scotty Pippin). When the best NLF Quarterback goes back to throw a pass he best have a good offensive line and some recievers with good hands.

When a baseball player is at bat, he has no one to "assist" him. It's him and the pitcher and may the best man win. When a center fielder goes back on a ball hit long and hard, it's only his skill that makes, or does not make, the play. Each ground ball to a infielder is HIS responsibility.

But that's only the 1st page of a long book. The real joy of baseball is "the game within the game". Consider this: It's 90 feet from home plate to 1st base. The baseball gods were there: Had it been 80 feet lots and lots of speedy players would reach base and the game scores would be high and the game drag. At 100 feet, very few would reach base on ground balls and the games would be boring and end in 1-0 scores.

An "unwritten" baseball rule is that a runner at 2nd base NEVER makes the 1st or third or 3rd out at third base. Takes some thought, but it make perfect baseball sense. Little things like this: "The game within the game".

And outfielder throwing to the wrong base or missing "the cut-off" man can cause the team to lose in a close game. The ability of a hitter to hit the the right side of the infield and advance a runner to 3rd is highly valued even though the batter simply makes" an out" and his batting average suffers. The game within the game.

And so on. It's not a game to be watched a couple of times and enjoyed. And because in MLB they play 162 games in the regular season, teams must learn to lose games without "getting down". All teams (even the worst) will win 50 games. The best teams will lose at least 50. It's those other 60+ games "in the middle" that count and it's one reason it's fun to watch a complete season of baseball.

But hey, there are lots of other teams sports that are fun to watch. I just happen to think baseball is special. That's just me.

I think just about everything you explain is why baseball is special a great sport to play but IMO to watch on TV ? Not so much.

You said.. At 100 feet, very few would reach base on ground balls and the games would be boring and end in 1-0 scores.

It's already too often boring, few do reach base on ground balls and many games do indeed end up to be 1-0 scores.
(04-07-2015, 01:56 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(04-06-2015, 03:16 PM)Hugo Wrote: It wasn't a slight against you, asshole. Big Grin

I think just about everything you explain is why baseball is special a great sport to play but IMO to watch on TV ? Not so much.

You said.. At 100 feet, very few would reach base on ground balls and the games would be boring and end in 1-0 scores.

It's already too often boring, few do reach base on ground balls and many games do indeed end up to be 1-0 scores.

You zeroed right in on that.
And of course you are "right" as far as that goes. Then you neglected the rest of the game.
So I'm guessing this is not "your game". Does not have to be. Is this a great country, or what!
(PS: I seldom watch it on TV. I most enjoy "watching" baseball on the radio)

Still, I'm glad I had the chance to voice my views about the game. Forums are a great thing, right?
(04-07-2015, 02:09 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(04-06-2015, 08:32 PM)Wonky3 Wrote: And I didn't take it as a slight. Your opinion after all was about baseball, not me. I was, however, curious about your word "worthless". But whatever, enjoying baseball is not required.

And of course you are "right" as far as that goes. Then you neglected the rest of the game.
So I'm guessing this is not "your game". Does not have to be. Is this a great country, or what!

Still, I'm glad I had the chance to voice my views about the game. Forums are a great thing, right?

Yes I too think it's a great game to watch on the radio. Because that means I'm doing something else and not bored by so much inaction.
I said WATCHING baseball is not that great so I don't know how that equates to it not being my game.
I love fishing but I don't watch fishing shows.

I played softball as a pitcher for about 14 years and I loved it. No it isn't fast pitch hardball. But contrary to what a lot pf people think it aint just few guys slurping beer.
It's actually a game with a LOT more action in a shorter amount of time than major league hardball.
Virtually every single person up to bat will get a hit. Strike outs are very rare.

NO ONE can hit 15 foul balls in a row. A foul counts as a strike.

And I didn't at all neglect all of the things you said about baseball. There was nothing you said that was news to me. I agree there is a LOT to baseball that many people don't apreciate.
But to me that still doesn't mean the game isn't too slow for me.Smiling

There is no clock. 27 outs and the game is over.

Yeah and no clock is something you mention as a positive for spectators??

Again that's not much of a good thing for a spectator.When the hitter is successful about a third of the time that means that 2/3 of the time they fly out ground out are get struck out.
(04-07-2015, 03:48 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(04-07-2015, 11:06 AM)tvguy Wrote: Your comment pretty much made YOU sound like the "asshole" Wonky simply said everyone has an opinion, he didn't call you anything.

Yes I too think it's a great game to watch on the radio. Because that means I'm doing something else and not bored by so much inaction.
I said WATCHING baseball is not that great so I don't know how that equates to it not being my game.

I played softball as a pitcher for about 14 years and I loved it. No it isn't fast pitch hardball. But contrary to what a lot pf people think it aint just few guys slurping beer.
It's actually a game with a LOT more action in a shorter amount of time than major league hardball.
Virtually every single person up to bat will get a hit. Strike outs are very rare.

And I didn't at all neglect all of the things you said about baseball. There was nothing you said that was news to me. I agree there is a LOT to baseball that many people don't apreciate.

Again that's not much of a good thing for a spectator.When the hitter is successful about a third of the time that means that 2/3 of the time they fly out ground out are get struck out.

I'll post this and then wrap it up as I'm sure the rest of the folks here are bored to death with this BB talk. But..
The reason good hitters average only around .300, is that it's SO hard to center up the ball. Remember (as you well know) it's a round ball and a round bat. Off by only about a half and inch and the ball is either a weak fly, a pop up, or a ground ball to an infielder.
(04-07-2015, 06:34 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(04-07-2015, 03:48 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(04-07-2015, 01:42 PM)Wonky3 Wrote: I enjoy basketball a bit 'cause it's pretty simple to watch. One team brings the ball downcourt, works it around (maybe even sets up a "play") and shoots. The ball goes the other way and about the same thing happens. Pretty basic. And by the way, a really good game for TV because one can really see about all that happens.

I'll post this and then wrap it up as I'm sure the rest of the folks here are bored to death with this BB talk. But..
The reason good hitters average only around .300, is that it's SO hard to center up the ball. Remember (as you well know) it's a round ball and a round bat. Off by only about a half and inch and the ball is either a weak fly, a pop up, or a ground ball to an infielder.

Alright then You are a proponent for square ballsRazz Wow that will be hell as far as bad hops for infieldersBig Grin