Oath Keepers in Josephine County
(04-25-2015, 08:58 AM)tornado Wrote: I have never read so many misinformed comments as in this thread. You've all been wrong about most everything regarding this situation. Whom of you has actually read the mining act laws?

These people are not itching for a fight, and saying so does not make it the truth.

I think you're right if you're referring to the miners, at least from what I've read of them. But the Oath Keepers?? I think they have their own reasons for being there. And I think Tiamat nailed it.
(04-25-2015, 08:58 AM)tornado Wrote: I have never read so many misinformed comments as in this thread. You've all been wrong about most everything regarding this situation. Whom of you has actually read the mining act laws?

These people are not itching for a fight, and saying so does not make it the truth.

Whether they are really itching for a fight or not what do you expect people to think when they protest at the BLM with guns on their hips?
Do you think these guys really believe the need to display their guns?

Or look at the photo in Gapper's link . They are sitting around in lawn chairs while someone fries burgers and I see at least THREE of these dudes with rifles.
WTF do they think? Do they seriously think the BLM and a bunch of cops are going to attack??

If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck......
(04-25-2015, 05:36 PM)tvguy Wrote:

Whether they are really itching for a fight or not what do you expect people to think when they protest at the BLM with guns on their hips?
Do you think these guys really believe the need to display their guns?

Or look at the photo in Gapper's link . They are sitting around in lawn chairs while someone fries burgers and I see at least THREE of these dudes with rifles.
WTF do they think? Do they seriously think the BLM and a bunch of cops are going to attack??

If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck......

Thumbs Up

Well, I haven't made any assumptions or comments regarding mining rights or laws. But they can be completely in the right or in the wrong. I still believe that their actions and speech (I've watched these guys talking online, in their videos, on FB) indicates an extreme eagerness to dispute this as much as possible. And if it furthers 2nd amendment rights, all the better.
http://crooksandliars.com/2015/04/oath-k...gon-dreams
"Oath Keepers Seem To Want A Shootout Over Oregon Mining Dispute
By David Neiwert
http://crooksandliars.com/2015/04/oath-k...gon-dreams "
(04-25-2015, 09:50 PM)gapper Wrote: "Oath Keepers Seem To Want A Shootout Over Oregon Mining Dispute
By David Neiwert
http://crooksandliars.com/2015/04/oath-k...gon-dreams  "

So, maybe the miners don't want a fight....but there are those who really, really do!
(04-25-2015, 11:30 PM)Tiamat Wrote:
(04-25-2015, 09:50 PM)gapper Wrote: "Oath Keepers Seem To Want A Shootout Over Oregon Mining Dispute
By David Neiwert

So, maybe the miners don't want a fight....but there are those who really, really do!

That's sort of how I see it.
Frankly, I'm not so sure the miners would  mind if it blew up, but I don't believe that is their primary intention.
But, as you say, to me, it's pretty obvious that some are simply looking for trouble.
That road is on  public land and available for public access. How would these guys walking the road react to someone driving up on them, oblivious to the situation at hand?
And, regardless of their intentions, it was the miners allegedly reaching out to Joseph Rice and the local Oath Keepers, leading them to do a shout out nation wide, that created this mess.
For anyone interested, here is some background on the Oath Keepers.

Quote:Oath Keepers is one of the largest anti-government “patriot” groups in the nation. The Southern Poverty Law Center (SPLC) includes the organization in its list of Hate and Extremist Groups and its Patriot Movement Timeline.1 Oath Keepers differs from the 1990s wave of patriot movements in that “full members” of the organization are former and current military and police. -
http://www.politicalresearch.org/2015/04...09g1A.dpbs
(04-26-2015, 11:27 AM)gapper Wrote:
(04-25-2015, 11:30 PM)Tiamat Wrote:
By David Neiwert

That's sort of how I see it.
Frankly, I'm not so sure the miners would  mind if it blew up, but I don't believe that is their primary intention.
But, as you say, to me, it's pretty obvious that some are simply looking for trouble.
That road is on  public land and available for public access. How would these guys walking the road react to someone driving up on them, oblivious to the situation at hand?
And, regardless of their intentions, it was the miners allegedly reaching out to Joseph Rice and the local Oath Keepers, leading them to do a shout out nation wide, that created this mess.
If he wasn't looking for a confrontation, he seems to have acted prematurely.
Via Facebook:
"It has been confirmed that  the Code Word has been given to respond ASAP at the Sugar Pine Mine."
Oath Keepers:
Quote:BLM Armed Security Contractors

30 April 2015
On 29 April 2015, it was reported that the command center of Sugar Pine Mine Security Operation was under continual observation by unknown surveillance operatives and that the Bureau of Land Management (BLM) had brought in armed security contractors.
Much speculation has been undertaken regarding the scope and purpose of these security contractors. At this time, Oath Keepers of Josephine County wish to express no opinion on the matter of the purpose of the armed contractors. They are under observation and no action is being taken beyond that.
Originally, the BLM denied knowledge of the security contractor's existence or any operations they may be involved in. Later, in two separate incidences, Oath Keepers JoCo was contacted by the BLM. The first contact was made by the BLM's Public Information Officer to Oath Keepers JoCo's Public Information Officer, Mary Emerick. The second contact was by the BLM Law Enforcement Officer to the Oath Keepers JoCo Coordinator, Joseph Rice. Both BLM sources gave the same statement, almost verbatim, that these men who were observed were BLM employees attending a pizza party in Medford celebrating the retirement of a co-worker.
This, however, does not match up with their observed locations. Oath Keepers does not wish to disclose at this time the locations where the contractors were observed. Suffice it to say that there could be NO correlation to a retirement party at a pizza place.
Oath Keepers of Josephine County does not wish to engage in speculation at this time, however the narratives simply do not match. We are continuing to verify, confirm and document our observations.
Assistants to the PIO
Brandi Hawkins
Robert Rowe

KTVL:
Quote:BREAKING: There have been reports of the Bureau of Land Management using a private contractor moving into the Sugar Pine Mine with force.
BLM has denied hiring any contractors going into the Sugar Pine Mine in Josephine County. No armed or helicopter operations are associated with BLM.
No court date has been set following an appeal by the claim owners of the Sugar Pine Mine. That case is being taken to Interior Board of Land Appeals
I'll bet the big O smuggled in Iranians to observe the
Heroic patriots. They're stealthy, you know...
(04-30-2015, 01:53 PM)bbqboy Wrote: I'll bet the big O smuggled in Iranians to observe the
Heroic patriots. They're stealthy, you know...

Laughing   Laughing Thumbs Up Laughing   Laughing
It may be Robin Hood and his merry men. 

Or Gapper.
Oath Keepers
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Oath Keepers is an American nonprofit organization[1] that advocates that its members (current and former U.S. military and law enforcement) disobey any orders that they are given if they believe they violate the Constitution of the United States.[2]

Contents

1 Organizational history
2 Media coverage
3 See also
4 References
5 Further reading
6 External links

Organizational history

The Oath Keepers were founded on March 2009 by Stewart Rhodes and incorporated in Las Vegas, Nevada as a non-profit corporation.[3][4] Rhodes is a Yale Law School graduate, a former US Army paratrooper, and a former staffer of Congressman Ron Paul.[5] The Oath Keepers as a group have grown to include chapters in many states across America.[6]
Media coverage

In the Southern Poverty Law Center's (SPLC) 2009 report The Second Wave: Return of the Militias, Larry Keller wrote that the Oath Keepers "may be a particularly worrisome example of the Patriot revival."[7] Keller described Richard Mack, an Oath Keeper, as a "longtime militia hero"[7][8] and quoted him as having said, "The greatest threat we face today is not terrorists; it is our federal government… One of the best and easiest solutions is to depend on local officials, especially the sheriff, to stand against federal intervention and federal criminality."[7] Mack, a former sheriff, responded by denying the claims, saying "I have had no contact with any militia group and have never been a member of any militia."[9][10] Rhodes, who is one quarter Mexican and part Native American has also disputed the SPLC claim of racism.[11] Writing in The American Conservative, Jesse Walker commented that "Not every Oath Keeper would appreciate the comparison, but the group has more in common with those dissidents of the ’60s who refused to go to war than with any paramilitary cell."[12]

Lou Dobbs talked with Rhodes on his radio show and criticized the SPLC for "perpetuating the same kind of intolerance it claims to condemn."[1] On Hardball with Chris Matthews, Matthews and Rhodes discussed both the SPLC report and issues involving the Oath Keepers and extremists.[13]

MSNBC political commentator and former presidential candidate Pat Buchanan, quoting the Las Vegas Review-Journal,[14] said "Oath Keepers, depending on where one stands, are either strident defenders of liberty or dangerous peddlers of paranoia.” Buchanan himself concluded that "America was once their country. They sense they are losing it. And they are right." [15]

During the 2014 Ferguson unrest the Oath Keepers arrived days after the Monday riots to protect local business and residents. A member's comments on the situation are as follows: "We thought they were going to do it right this time,” Rhodes said of government response to the grand jury decision released Monday in the Michael Brown case. “But when Monday rolled around and they didn’t park the National Guard at these businesses, that’s when we said we have got to do something."[16] Their volunteer security work in Ferguson has led to them being labeled "vigilantes" by some journalists.[17][18]

By way of comparison there are these facts:
http://www.conservapedia.com/Southern_Po...Law_Center
Southern Poverty Law Center

The Southern Poverty Law Center is a far left legal and activist organization created in 1971 in Montgomery, Alabama. It was founded by trial lawyers Morris Dees and Joe Levin, and its first president was civil rights leader Julian Bond, who would later take control of the NAACP. SPLC supports a wide variety of liberal positions; it is pro-immigration (both legal and illegal), advocates multiculturalism and the homosexual agenda, supports Muslims and racial preferences and defendants' rights, and advocates against what it considers "hate groups". In 2012, Black pastors confronted the Southern Poverty Law Center for smearing as ‘hate groups’ pro-family organizations opposed to homosexual agenda. [1] Reverend Dr. Patrick Wooden declared that it is wrong to compare “my beautiful blackness” with homosexual perversion.[2]

The SPLC's op-ed writings have appeared in the Communist Party USA's newspaper People's World. [3] This "controversial, liberal organization" [4] has been criticized in mainstream press for being extravagant in its spending, and using charges of racism to stifle conservatives. [5]
Contents

1 Finances
2 Hate Groups
3 Hate Map
4 SPLC attacks on conservatives
5 Infiltration into the classroom
6 Interference in the Sierra Club
7 Cooperation with law enforcement
8 Into the Mainstream controversy
9 SPLC as film critic
10 See also
11 External Links
12 References

Finances

The last year that the Better Business Bureau's Philanthropic Advisory Service reported on the SPLC, in 1994, Dees and then Executive Director Edward Ashworth took home over $150,000 each, and the organization then possessed over $62 million in assets [6]. It now controls over $200 million, and Dees pulls $286,000 in salary.[7] In 2000, SPLC fundraised $27 million and made an additional $17 million from investments, but spent only $13 million on its civil rights program. [8] It is no longer listed in the Better Business Bureau's Wise Giving Alliance[9] because that would require that "at least 50 percent of total income from all sources, should be applied to programs and activities directly related to the purposes for which the organization exists." The SPLC spent 89 percent of its total income on fund-raising and administrative costs. [10]

In addition to donations from liberal members, which are often elicited by sensationalizing hate crimes, the center raises a lot of revenue seizing assets of violent groups, and by extorting groups that do not want to be accused of racism. In 1987, the SPLC won a major case on behalf of Beulah Mae Donald, the mother of a Klan lynching victim. This was the invention of a clever new tactic-- suing domestic terrorist groups into bankruptcy-- but Ms. Donald benefitted very little. Of the $7 million verdict, only $50,000 went to her. This was because the Klan chapter had no assets other than a warehouse used as a headquarters, the warehouse itself was valued at about $50,000. [11]

The SPLC's fundraising tactics came under heavy criticism most recently by the Council of Conservative Citizens, [12] as well as by articles in Harper's magazine in 2000[13] and in the local Montgomery Advertiser newspaper in 1994.[14].
Hate Groups

SLPC lists over 1000 organizations as hate groups. Many of these are widely accepted but the list continues to grow with the controversial additions of conservative organizations. Conservative political stances that the SLPC disagrees with are now targeted, many of these additions are organizations for the general welfare of American citizens and are not associated with hate.

Catholic organizations
Baptist organizations
Pentecostal organizations
American Family Association
Family Research Council
Illinois Family Institute
Parents Action League
United Families International
Christian Action Network
American Defense League
United States Justice Foundation
Watchmen Bible Study Group
Mission to Israel
Jewish Defense League

These fine organizations and many others are lumped together with the KKK and White nationalists, skin-heads, Neo-Nazi's and Black separatists.
Gee, thanks. Did you write that? Probably not. Are you an oath keeper?
Quote:Homeland Security Warns of Terrorist Threat from Right-Wingers

http://www.truthrevolt.org/news/homeland...ht-wingers
Saw this posted on FB today: (there was a photo, but I haven't been able to post photos on the new format)

• Oath KeepersHundreds of Volunteers Needed at the Sugar Pine Mine Security Operation in Oregon:"We need hundreds of volunteers to help secure the mine, and to work in support of the security operation. You do NOT have to be an Oath Keeper member everyone is welcome. We need all people who are willing to stand up for the Constitution. We have had non-members such as Three Percenters volunteers and others from the beginning. If you want to help we will put you to work. We WILL reimburse you for your gas money to get here as long as we receive enough donations to cover that. So far, we have been able to reimburse volunteers for gas and other travel expenses and as long as enough donations come in we will continue to do so.NOTE: If you cannot make it in person to help, at least donate to help pay for the travel expenses of those who can make it. You can donate here:"http://oathkeepers.org/donations-critically-needed-to-keep…/We need hundreds of volunteers to help secure the mine, and to work in support of the security operation. You do NOT have to be an Oath Keeper member everyone is welcome. We need all people who are willing to stand up for the Constitution. We have had non-members such as Three Percenters volunteers and others from the beginning. If you want to help we will put you to work. We WILL reimburse you for your gas money to get here as long as we receive enough donations to cover that. So far, we have been able to reimburse volunteers for gas and other travel expenses and as long as enough donations come in we will continue to do so.NOTE: If you cannot make it in person to help, at least donate to help pay for the travel expenses of those who can make it. You can donate here:http://www.oathkeepersjoco.com/That link takes you directly to the Josephine County Oath Keepers PayPal account, and all money donated is used exclusively to support this mission of protecting the mine. If you have any problem with opening that link, please go here to donate:http://www.oathkeepersjoco.com/Priority is given to reimbursing out of state teams who travel long distances, but anyone who shows up will get gas money reimbursed as long as we have sufficient donations.Why do we need help? It is critical that we protect the mine, and the cabin and equipment at the mine, because of the well documented history of BLM burning down cabins and confiscating property at whim, without due process. We have spoken to multiple miners and even retired BLM officers who have relayed past examples of BLM setting fire to cabins, including occupied cabins (with residents having to scramble out of a burning cabin to avoid being killed). The miners do not trust the BLM for good reason and they fear that once there are not enough security volunteers BLM will drop the hammer on them Burning their cabin and stealing their equipment which is common (which is then held for years, while the miners try to get it back - that is BLM's standard M.O.). That is why they asked for help in the first place, and that need has not gone away.It is critical that we support and protect patriotic Americans who are standing up for themselves and their rights. The miners are now making a brave stand against the pattern of BLM abuse that they have suffered for years. We need to stand with them, and you need to stand with them. Please volunteer to help them.If you show up, we will put you to work. If you are not young and fit enough to pull security at the mine, no sweat. There is plenty of work to go around in the staging area/base camp.In particular, we need:HAM radio operators, medical personnel, tactical teams, do it yourself guys, logistics, IT people, patrol and security crews.We run teams around the clock so we need hundreds of volunteers. It's time to step up and serve your beliefs. You will learn skills as well that you can take back to your own community.JOIN US!DONATE!Thank You!__________PS: Please go to this page at their website to learn more about how you can help. All volunteers are appreciated greatly!http://www.oathkeepersjoco.com/  -- Admin Robert HaseLike ·