Those Who We No Longer Hear (Read)
Something recently reminded me of Prospero and Pubilus and how much I miss seeing their posts here. 

I hope they are both well and in good sprints. Both often posted good, thoughtful, and interesting things here and I regret the loss of their input.  

It reminded me to look at our members list. For reasons I can't know (or understand) we have so very many members who choose, for whatever reason, not to interact here. Some have moved on (Janice now in Portland, Kno1 on the east coast) but I suspect others simple don't want to be part of this. 

I hope it's not our tone that keeps folks from interacting here. I often wonder if we, as a group, really understand the meaning of "argument" and allow our differences to turn into rancor and hostility all too often. That could very well turn off some folks and keep them away. 

Maybe it's just "life" and people come and go for reasons as varied as any. 

I would hope we might attract others like prospero and Pubilus who could add value to our discussions here. 
I'd say it is your didactic responses keeping folks from interacting.
(06-13-2015, 07:56 AM)tornado Wrote: I'd say it is your didactic responses keeping folks from interacting.

Thanks for your opinion. If I thought that was true, a real factor in limiting interaction here, I'd drop off the member list in a New York minute. 
You're welcome. I think it is true and count on you to keep proving my opinion.
(06-13-2015, 08:54 AM)tornado Wrote: You're welcome. I think it is true and count on you to keep proving my opinion.

Didactic, yes, but it doesn't keep me away.  I think the more abusive posters, lack of "publicity" so to speak, and FB were the culprits.

I miss all our past posters. How long since we've had a new and participating member?
One reason many have left is that having the same argument with the same people over and over gets old. Also, I have defeated all my opponents, so most of them don't bother to fight with me anymore except TVguy. I just give TVguy one liners and that seems to keep him coming back. It really is all about me. I have found other things to occupy my time, but I plan to keep checking in. 
(06-13-2015, 11:52 AM)cletus1 Wrote: One reason many have left is that having the same argument with the same people over and over gets old. Also, I have defeated all my opponents, so most of them don't bother to fight with me anymore except TVguy. I just give TVguy one liners and that seems to keep him coming back. It really is all about me. I have found other things to occupy my time, but I plan to keep checking in. 

Thumbs Up
Many posters who came here were pretty old .I think some members are dead. And I'm sure some are sick. I know of one who is but i won't say who.

The problem I have with Wonky's logic that this place is too rowdy or argumentative and people "don't want to be part of this"

Is that those things never seemed to bother too many in the past. I mean sheesh, doesn't anyone remember the past except me?
There was ALWAYS a lot of crap going on before and there were still plenty of posters.

Like someone said before when this issue came up.. People move on for MANY different reasons and NOTHING is bringing anyone here anymore.

This place is leaky pond and the creek that used to keep it full up has dried up.
(06-13-2015, 03:42 PM)tvguy Wrote: Many posters who came here were pretty old .I think some members are dead. And I'm sure some are sick. I know of one who is but i won't say who.

The problem I have with Wonky's logic that this place is too rowdy or argumentative and people "don't want to be part of this"

Is that those things never seemed to bother too many in the past. I mean sheesh, doesn't anyone remember the past except me?
There was ALWAYS a lot of crap going on before and there were still plenty of posters.

Like someone said before when this issue came up.. People move on for MANY different reasons and NOTHING is bringing anyone here anymore.

This place is leaky pond and the creek that used to keep it full up has dried up.

"This place is leaky pond and the creek that used to keep it full up has dried" Great line! And again you are right...we need some new blood here to spark interest in new topics. 
Hey Tvg, why don't you print flyers promoting the Forum that you can pass out as you make your CL runs buying worthless junk and storing it in your giant oversized shed already filled with too much crap.  Big Grin
(06-13-2015, 07:36 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(06-13-2015, 03:42 PM)tvguy Wrote: Many posters who came here were pretty old .I think some members are dead. And I'm sure some are sick. I know of one who is but i won't say who.

"This place is leaky pond and the creek that used to keep it full up has dried" Great line! And again you are right...we need some new blood here to spark interest in new topics. 
Hey Tvg, why don't you print flyers promoting the Forum that you can pass out as you make your CL runs buying worthless junk and storing it in your giant over sized shed already filled with too much crap.  Big Grin

Oversize shed? worthless junk? crap?   It's a two story steel shop that I built myself and most men who see it are totally envious.
It's full of tools of all kinds, air impacts Ingersol rand, grinders, electric Dewalt 12 in slide saw,Milwaukee drills, Milwaukee shears Practically Every 18 volt tool dewalt makes, nail guns, pin guns, Mig welder, DC stick welder, full size set of torches and tanks. Body working tools, two stage air compressor, a $600 Khoeler battery charger, A tire changing machine. two rolling tool boxes with sliders.
Plus it has a TV, an awesome stereo, a swamp cooler Big Grin

And just so you know, Today I sold some of that worthless junk on ebay that I bought off CL for 800 bucks and I paid $200.
Actually it's an auction and the opening bid was $800 about an hour after I listed it. It could go up to $2000.. I hope. Smiling
(06-13-2015, 08:07 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(06-13-2015, 07:36 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:

Hey Tvg, why don't you print flyers promoting the Forum that you can pass out as you make your CL runs buying worthless junk and storing it in your giant over sized shed already filled with too much crap.  Big Grin

Oversize shed? worthless junk? crap?   It's a two story steel shop that I built myself and most men who see it are totally envious.
It's full of tools of all kinds, air impacts Ingersol rand, grinders, electric Dewalt 12 in slide saw,Milwaukee drills, Milwaukee shears Practically Every 18 volt tool dewalt makes, nail guns, pin guns, Mig welder, DC stick welder, full size set of torches and tanks. Body working tools, two stage air compressor, a $600 Khoeler battery charger, A tire changing machine. two rolling tool boxes with sliders.
Plus it has a TV, an awesome stereo, a swamp cooler Big Grin

And just so you know, Today I sold some of that worthless junk on ebay that I bought off CL for 800 bucks and I paid $200.
Actually it's an auction and the opening bid was $800 about an hour after I listed it. It could go up to $2000.. I hope. Smiling
Alright, already, I admit it: I envy you. (That hurt!)
Your shop is in fact a thing to be envied. God only knows how you can find anything in there, but find it you do. And you are one clever horse trader for sure. 
Now, if you would only sell some of that stuff from the shop and buy books for the house.... Laughing Laughing Laughing . Okay, that was snarky and uncalled for....couldn't help myself. I have books stacked all over the place and would trade 'em all for your shed. Sorry! Your "shop". And speaking of which, I'd like to recommend a book to you (and others) that I think is a really great read. I think...cause I find it a bit difficult and keep returning to it trying to wrap my tiny little mind around a very good and big subject. It's "Shop Class as Soul Craft, by Matthew B. Crawford. 

http://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/books/...1594202230

A book almost every man who has ever changed oil in his own truck, but also wonders exactly how the compression stroke  came to be. Crawford is a physicist who also owns a motorcycle repair shop and wrenches on them himself. 

Ah...so many books, so little time. 

PS: I'd also like to suggest "Deer Hunting With Jesus". Yeah I know, sounds goofy but it's a serious book written by a retired journalist who returns to his rural roots in Virginia, and wonders why "his people" continue to vote agains their own best self interests. He has a lot to say and says it in plain and simple language.