No Smoking ANYWHERE?
  • SINCE YOU ASKED
    No smoking signs added to Medford parks

• The Medford Parks and Recreation Department has been adding dozens of no smoking signs to city parks.
    (Snip) 
http://www.mailtribune.com/article/20150.../150629821

I don't smoke anymore. But I did, for too many years I have to admit. 

I can understand that those who don't smoke should not have to suck up smoke from those who do. Good idea to ban smoking in places where we eat, watch movies, go to meetings, etc. I get that. 

But some folks still struggle with the habit. It seems a bit over the top to ban folks from smoking in an outdoor setting. Maybe not at the pick-nick table, or the pool, or where people are bunched up. but to outlaw smoking at the entire park seems just punitive and reaching too far into private lives. 

Next thing you know they will start making laws that I can't open my raincoat and flash people on the street.  Embarrassed
Screw em Wonky.  If you allow smoking at a public park what's to stop people from doing exactly what you just said you don't want.... smoking at the pick-nick table, or the pool, or where people are bunched up.

This sounds like a good way to keep low lives out of the parks. My guess is that 100% of the derelicts and bums and nut cases smoke cigarettes.
It sure won't hurt my feelings.  I wish they would do that at our little neighborhood park.  I can't even take my grandkiddos down there... there are 4 picnic tables that are right near the playground.  Parents sit there and smoke, smoke, smoke (and play on their cell phones) while their kids play... I don't want to smell it or breathe it... and I don't want my grandkiddos smelling it or breathing it either!
(06-25-2015, 03:40 PM)Scrapper Wrote: It sure won't hurt my feelings.  I wish they would do that at our little neighborhood park.  I can't even take my grandkiddos down there... there are 4 picnic tables that are right near the playground.  Parents sit there and smoke, smoke, smoke (and play on their cell phones) while their kids play... I don't want to smell it or breathe it... and I don't want my grandkiddos smelling it or breathing it either!

Never mind. I think I was flat out wrong. Let 'em go to Hilt and smoke while they scratch off the lottery tickets. 
Darn, And I'm going to start smoking come July.
I predict smoking and tobacco for smoking will be illegal in ten or so years. Maybe 20.
(06-25-2015, 05:36 PM)Tiamat Wrote: I predict smoking and tobacco for smoking will be illegal in ten or so years. Maybe 20.

I doubt it. You say that when state after state is legalising Marijuana?
(06-25-2015, 07:08 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(06-25-2015, 05:36 PM)Tiamat Wrote: I predict smoking and tobacco for smoking will be illegal in ten or so years. Maybe 20.

I doubt it. You say that when state after state is legalising Marijuana?

Apples and oranges, in a strange kind of way.
I think Tia has a point. Tobacco is not just dangerous, it's a killer and costs healthcare systems around the world far too much money to let it continue forever. 
(Or maybe it's a great way to control population and nip the carbon thing in the bud.  Wink ) 
(06-25-2015, 09:24 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:

I doubt it. You say that when state after state is legalizing Marijuana?

I think Tia has a point. Tobacco is not just dangerous, it's a killer and costs healthcare systems around the world far too much money to let it continue forever. 
(Or maybe it's a great way to control population and nip the carbon thing in the bud.  Wink ) 

Apples and oranges my ass. With both one is taking a drug. With both one is inhaling smoke. With both the smoke can harm others.

Tobacco is not just dangerous, it's a killer and costs healthcare systems around the world far too much money to let it continue forever.

So now the "world" will ban tobacco? What the United nations? I don't want to be around when a billion Asians suddenly can't have a Salem 100 milimeter menthol fix with their shark fin soup.

And what about alcohol? It's not a killer? it doesn't destroy good health many different ways? It's use doesn't impact innocents who don't even drink?

If tobacco was on it's way to being illegal don't you think some state, city , county SOMEWHERE would have ay least tried to pass an initiative by now?

(06-26-2015, 08:28 AM)tvguy Wrote:

Apples and oranges my ass. With both one is taking a drug. With both one is inhaling smoke. With both the smoke can harm others.

Tobacco is not just dangerous, it's a killer and costs healthcare systems around the world far too much money to let it continue forever.

So now the "world" will ban tobacco? What the United nations? I don't want to be around when a billion Asians suddenly can't have a Salem 100 milimeter menthol fix with their shark fin soup.

And what about alcohol? It's not a killer? it doesn't destroy good health many different ways? It's use doesn't impact innocents who don't even drink?

If tobacco was on it's way to being illegal don't you think some state, city , county SOMEWHERE would have ay least tried to pass an initiative by now?

Fine.
You lead us in outlawing all the things that harm us. 
We had to repeal prohibition 
A lesson learned. There are limits to what we can force people to NOT do. 
(06-27-2015, 06:59 AM)Wonky3 Wrote:

Fine.

Are you confused? I'm the one saying we WON'T outlaw cigs or alcohol.
(06-27-2015, 09:45 AM)tvguy Wrote:
(06-27-2015, 06:59 AM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(06-25-2015, 07:08 PM)tvguy Wrote: I doubt it. You say that when state after state is legalizing Marijuana?

Fine.

Are you confused? I'm the one saying we WON'T outlaw cigs or alcohol.
That was a side issue.
I got the impression you would have smokers go to an island somewhere 50 miles off the coast to have a smoke. I'd like to see everyone stop using tobacco. But history shows us that we have limits in how far we can go in prohibiting habits people are accustomed to. 
I'm a "tax and spend liberal". I'd like to see even MORE money spent on trying to convince folks to stop smoking. Worked for me. (I'm ashamed to say it took years). 
Only one out of five people smoke. Last I heard this was a democracy. If 80% of the non smokers want the 20% of smokers out of the park then I don't see a problem. And I don't see a problem enforcing it either.
I don't care if people smoke as long as I don't have to breath it also.

Quote:Wonky...But history shows us that we have limits in how far we can go in prohibiting habits people are accustomed to.

Telliing people they can't smoke around others has nothing to do with the "history" you speak of which I assume is prohibition.
No one is prohibiting smoking.

That would be like prohibiting mountain climbing or racing, rodeo, twinkies, target shooting, hunting, white water rafting, Mountain climbing, flying airplanes, jumping out of airplanes, or both, riding a motorcycle.....
(06-27-2015, 11:54 AM)tvguy Wrote: Only one out of five people smoke. Last I heard this was a democracy. If 80% of the non smokers want the 20% of smokers out of the park then I don't see a problem. And I don't see a problem enforcing it either.
I don't care if people smoke as long as I don't have to breath it also.

Quote:Wonky...But history shows us that we have limits in how far we can go in prohibiting habits people are accustomed to.

Telliing people they can't smoke around others has nothing to do with the "history" you speak of which I assume is prohibition.
No one is prohibiting smoking.

That would be like prohibiting mountain climbing or racing, rodeo, twinkies, target shooting, hunting, white water rafting, Mountain climbing, flying airplanes, jumping out of airplanes, or both, riding a motorcycle.....

Whatever TVg, whatever.  Wink