a different random thought
Just for the sake of though....what do you consider the first Great American Invention?
(07-10-2015, 11:31 PM)Tiamat Wrote: Just for the sake of though....what do you consider the first Great American Invention?

The first? Without going to Google, I wouldn't have a clue. 

I've read that the MacCormick horse drawn reaper may have been the invention that made the most social change in our history. Prior to that, wheat was cut by hand using a scythe. Thousands fled farms to the cities (mainly Chicago) and all hell broke loose. (The outfit it became International Harvester)  

But the first? Bottled Coke?  Big Grin 
The Constitution.

I wish it were still being used.
Bosses would probably say the time clock.
Yeah, owning slaves would be tasty.
(07-11-2015, 07:01 AM)Hugo Wrote: The Constitution.

I wish it were still being used.

It is being used. 
And has been improved. 
When written, white people could OWN black people, women could not vote, and only white men "of property" could vote. 
It wasn't a perfect document when written.
It's not perfect now. 
But compared to all the written documents that guide the many nations around the world, the U.S. Constitution is still the gold standard for providing the foundation of freedom and rule of law for a society. 

Only Anthony Scalia seems to have a problem with it.  Smiling
And Larry.
Oh this is a not a difficult question for me. 

First is the airplane which makes travel easy and second is the Internet. 
My first instinct was to suggest universal suffrage but when I looked it up, we didn't. Not by a long shot. Just goes to show, despite what some would believe we ain't always all that.
(07-11-2015, 07:44 AM)cletus1 Wrote: Oh this is a not a difficult question for me. 

The FIRST...?  Smiling
(07-11-2015, 07:53 AM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(07-11-2015, 07:44 AM)cletus1 Wrote: Oh this is a not a difficult question for me. 

The FIRST...?  Smiling

What is your confusion? Didn't Americans invent successful air flight? And didn't Al Gore invent the Internet? Besides she said GREAT invention 
Okay. I cheated. Went to WIKI. (Is this stuff great, or what! Back in the ay I would have had to wait for the local library to open and then dig through dusty books until I found it)

n 1641, the first patent in North America was issued to Samuel Winslow by the General Court of Massachusetts for a new method of making salt.[3][4][5

HOLDT IT. This is the first PATENT. Maybe not what you were looking for, Tia? 

Back to the dusty books. 
(07-11-2015, 08:01 AM)Wonky3 Wrote: Okay. I cheated. Went to WIKI. (Is this stuff great, or what! Back in the ay I would have had to wait for the local library to open and then dig through dusty books until I found it)

n 1641, the first patent in North America was issued to Samuel Winslow by the General Court of Massachusetts for a new method of making salt.[3][4][5

Back to the dusty books. 

You don't make salt! You harvest it and process it, maybe.  Razz
(07-11-2015, 08:05 AM)Cuzz Wrote:
(07-11-2015, 08:01 AM)Wonky3 Wrote: Okay. I cheated. Went to WIKI. (Is this stuff great, or what! Back in the ay I would have had to wait for the local library to open and then dig through dusty books until I found it)

Back to the dusty books. 

You don't make salt! You harvest it and process it, maybe.  Razz

Thanks. But did you notice I corrected myself. 
Now...
You have any guesses? 
(07-11-2015, 08:15 AM)Wonky3 Wrote: Thanks. But did you notice I corrected myself. 
Now...
You have any guesses? 

I'm still pondering my answer but, just to clarify, there is no correct answer. Tia asks "what do you consider the first Great American Invention?"
Not sure it's the greatest but I'm pretty thankfull it was invented....

1857 Toilet paper (mass-produced and rolled)
  • Toilet paper is a soft paper product (tissue paper) used to maintain personal hygiene after human defecation or urination. However, it can also be used for other purposes such as absorbing spillages or craft projects. Toilet paper in different forms has been used for centuries, namely in China. The ancient Greeks used clay and stone; the Romans, sponges and salt water. But according to a CNN article, the idea of a commercial product designed solely to wipe a person's buttocks was by New York City entrepreneur Joseph Gayetty, who in 1857, invented aloe-infused sheets of manila hemp dispensed from Kleenex-like boxes. However, Gayetty's toilet paper was a failure for several reasons. Americans soon grew accustomed to wiping with the Sears Roebuck catalog, they saw no need to spend money on toilet paper when catalogs for their use came in the mail for free, and because during the 19th century, it was a social taboo to openly discuss bathroom hygiene with others. Toilet paper took its next leap forward in 1890, when two brothers named Clarence and E. Irvin Scott of the Scott Paper Company co-invented rolled toilet paper.

By the way good question Tiamat.
(07-11-2015, 09:15 AM)Cuzz Wrote: Not sure it's the greatest but I'm pretty thankfull it was invented....

1857 Toilet paper (mass-produced and rolled)
  • Toilet paper is a soft paper product (tissue paper) used to maintain personal hygiene after human defecation or urination. However, it can also be used for other purposes such as absorbing spillages or craft projects. Toilet paper in different forms has been used for centuries, namely in China. The ancient Greeks used clay and stone; the Romans, sponges and salt water. But according to a CNN article, the idea of a commercial product designed solely to wipe a person's buttocks was by New York City entrepreneur Joseph Gayetty, who in 1857, invented aloe-infused sheets of manila hemp dispensed from Kleenex-like boxes. However, Gayetty's toilet paper was a failure for several reasons. Americans soon grew accustomed to wiping with the Sears Roebuck catalog, they saw no need to spend money on toilet paper when catalogs for their use came in the mail for free, and because during the 19th century, it was a social taboo to openly discuss bathroom hygiene with others. Toilet paper took its next leap forward in 1890, when two brothers named Clarence and E. Irvin Scott of the Scott Paper Company co-invented rolled toilet paper.

By the way good question Tiamat.

We can use toilet paper after a poop? GOOD GOD ALMIGHTY! I was taught to use the Sears and Roebuck (Sears and sawbuck we always said) and I thought toilet paper was for wrapping gifts. Except Christmas of course. I mean EVERYBODY knows you wrap Christmas gifts in old Safeway bags and paste stars and stuff on 'em. (Unless it's for your brother in which case you just had him a pack of Lucky's and mumble  Merry Christmas) 
I think Tia was asking for the first "GREATEST" invention.. not the "first" you dummies Razz

I have to say electricity, the electric light or the automobile.. Henry Ford's model T or A
(07-11-2015, 12:27 PM)tvguy Wrote: I think Tia was asking for the first "GREATEST" invention.. not the "first" you dummies Razz

I have to say electricity, the electric light or the automobile.. Henry Ford's model T or A

Well, she posted: "Just for the sake of though....what do you consider the first Great American Invention?"

And it couldn't have been the airplane because the Russians invited that. Says so right there in Pravda. They also invented the automobile, Yo-Yo's, zippers, fart pillows and poetry. Okay, maybe they did invent poetry. 

And I...that's right me: Wonky3, invented electricity. Westinghouse stole if from me when I was in the lab working on ways to put lights on a model T Ford. Or was it a model A? Wow. The years slip by. 

I still think the greatest invention ever was the cup worn under the uniform of baseball players. Well, maybe the 2nd greatest invention. The first still has to be the Maiden Form Bra. I used to dream about them. 
(07-11-2015, 12:27 PM)tvguy Wrote: I think Tia was asking for the first "GREATEST" invention.. not the "first" you dummies Razz

Either/Or.  (I did say first) How about the Clovis point for a "first"?