a different random thought
On another note, veering into another random question. Is there anything you believe in that isn't backed up by hard fact and evidence? Confirmed fact and evidence, not implied, inferred or obliquely referred to be possible facts or evidence.
A conspiracy theory?
ESP?
Ghosts?
Numerology?
UFO's?
Life after Death?
Synchronicity?
Folk Remedies?
Superstition?
Astrology?
Psychic Prediction?
Whatever? Anything?
Karma!
Big Grin
(04-27-2019, 07:13 AM)Juniper Wrote: On another note, veering into another random question.  Is there anything you believe in that isn't backed up by hard fact and evidence? Confirmed fact and evidence, not implied, inferred or obliquely referred to be possible facts or evidence.
A conspiracy theory?
ESP?
Ghosts?
Numerology?
UFO's?
Life after Death?
Synchronicity?
Folk Remedies?
Superstition?
Astrology?
Psychic Prediction?
Whatever? Anything?
Nope not one of those.
(04-27-2019, 07:57 AM)bbqboy Wrote: Karma!
Big Grin

You know people who always say Karma is a bitch after they have been robbed just drive me bonkers. Laughing
Well, nobody who uses "Karma" in that way really understands what Karma is, in the way it was conceived.
So, not a folk remedy? We talked about using different plants on insect bites and stings...that's a folk remedy. I mean drinking willow bark tea is a folk remedy, but it's the root source of aspirin.
(04-27-2019, 09:52 PM)Juniper Wrote: So, not a folk remedy?  We talked about using different plants on insect bites and stings...that's a folk remedy. I mean drinking willow bark tea is a folk remedy, but it's the root source of aspirin.

Who are you talking to and what is or isn't a folk remedy?
(04-28-2019, 12:15 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(04-27-2019, 09:52 PM)Juniper Wrote: So, not a folk remedy?  We talked about using different plants on insect bites and stings...that's a folk remedy. I mean drinking willow bark tea is a folk remedy, but it's the root source of aspirin.

Okay... so, what about a tbsp of vinegar and a tbsp of honey in hot water for a sore throat??? Would that be considered a folk remedy?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
(04-28-2019, 04:03 PM)Scrapper Wrote:

Okay... so, what about a tbsp of vinegar and a tbsp of honey in hot water for a sore throat??? Would that be considered a folk remedy?

Absolutely
So a spoonful of sugar really does make the medicine go down!

Well,  you, and it's a good question. What is it to you?  Putting a knife under the bed to cut the pain of childbirth? Something like that?
(04-28-2019, 04:58 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(04-28-2019, 04:03 PM)Scrapper Wrote:

Absolutely

And you don't believe it helps? How is that different than plants helping with bug bites?
Karma!
(04-28-2019, 09:17 PM)Juniper Wrote:

Well,  you, and it's a good question. What is it to you?  Putting a knife under the bed to cut the pain of childbirth? Something like that?
That to me is just superstition. Have you ever heard of putting a bag of water over the door to keep flies out?
(04-29-2019, 02:41 PM)tvguy Wrote:

That to me is just superstition. Have you ever heard of putting a bag of water over the door to keep flies out?

I've heard of it for keeping little brothers out. Works.

Laughing

Yeah, I, get it, but is that what you call a folk remedy over say using a plant for a bee sting?  I'm asking you to define folk remedy.
(04-29-2019, 08:00 PM)Juniper Wrote:

Yeah, I, get it, but is that what you call a folk remedy over say using a plant for a bee sting?  I'm asking you to define folk remedy.
Yeah I guess it is a folk remedy. It seems to me like ANY remedy that is passed down from generation to generation is a folk remedy.
http://nymag.com/intelligencer/2019/04/d..._medium=s1
It was 2013, and David Brooks was in the wilderness. Not the literal desert or jungle or anything like that, but the emotional wilderness of an accomplished man who, in midlife, has discovered a deep emptiness at his core. His marriage of 27 years was falling apart. The genteel conservatism in which he was nurtured and raised was morphing into something craven, naked, and raw. Lonely and living alone in an apartment in Washington, D.C., Brooks, 52 at the time, took stock and saw that in his rise to the pinnacle of American punditry, he had failed to make or keep meaningful friendships. And what was happening to him, Brooks writes in his new book, The Second Mountain, was happening on a nationwide scale. “The crisis in our politics is created by the crisis in our sociology and in our relationships — and in our morals,” he told me, looking preppy, eager, and somewhat slighter than I’d imagined, as we sat drinking coffee at a chain restaurant near Carnegie Hall.

But Brooks picked himself up. He landed a gig at — where else? — Yale, teaching a class about — what else? — humility, with a syllabus including works by Edmund Burke, Reinhold Niebuhr, and himself. His emotionally arid existence bloomed again, thanks to the loving presence of a woman — Anne Snyder, his researcher at the New York Times and 23 years his junior. After years of chaste but charged email exchanges on subjects such as Dorothy Day and St. Augustine, Snyder agreed to go on a date with Brooks in 2016. They married in 2017. And while The Second Mountain purports to describe the hyperindividualism of American politics and society as a disease and wonkily offers cures that fans of Oprah absorbed long ago, it would not be hyperbole to say that it is also, both explicitly and between the lines, a gushing paean to romance from a gobsmacked man happily rediscovering sex. As such, it is full of cringeworthy aphorisms. “Love,” writes Brooks, “plows open the hard crust of our personality and exposes the fertile soil below.”

Brooks won’t talk about what went down between him and his ex-wife, but he holds up his current romantic situation as a kind of standard: “There was a period when I was dating” — including a “deeply thoughtful” woman in New York — “and nothing felt like this. I can only report the truth. I am very definitely in love.”

The Second Mountain is a “wisdom” book that collects and reflects on fortune-cookie insights drawn from the Great White Male Thinkers (though he mentions a smattering of others, including yours truly on page 23), largely about the importance of self-sacrifice and community. “I think I have a bias — because I’m decent with words — toward glibness and shallowness, and I’ve tried to struggle against that through writing,” he tells me. “Like, to write my way to a better person.”

Brooks worries, a little, that his new book will be considered “woo-woo,” but he also knows that his base — the senior executives who hear him speak at the end of a three-day retreat on corporate health-care costs — will “eat it up more than any other audience. They have nobody in their lives who talks this way. I’m exaggerating, but the country is hungry for ‘How do you do relationship?’ ‘How do you lead a good life?’ ”

I ask Brooks whether he can see the irony: the pundit preaching on holiness, the public intellectual holding forth on humility, the middle-aged divorcé lecturing on love, the defender of the Republican aristocracy writing a book about the sacred poor. But self-knowledge has never been Brooks’s particular strength — or rather, in its mix of self-mocking, striving, and naïveté, his view of himself can fail to come into focus. “I don’t see myself as a privileged person,” he says, hesitating. “I make more than people — well, maybe I should take that back. Yeah, I do take that back.”
Continued...
I kept thinking of Wonky, wondering how excited he must be with a new book by his favorite political pundit.
Smiling
bbqboy Wrote:http://nymag.com/intelligencer/2019/04/d..._medium=s1

I kept thinking of Wonky, wondering how excited he must be with a new book by his favorite political pundit.
Smiling
The problem with Wonky, was that he could bring a really interesting topic to the table and then pound you over the head with it.
(05-05-2019, 09:12 AM)Juniper Wrote:
bbqboy Wrote:http://nymag.com/intelligencer/2019/04/d..._medium=s1

Smiling
The problem with Wonky, was that he could bring a really interesting topic to the table and then pound you over the head with it.
When it’s 1972 in your head, strange things happen. David Brooks and Wonky seem kindred spirits, believing in a genteel and ethical World that doesn’t exist now, if it ever did.