a different random thought
(10-13-2018, 09:55 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(10-13-2018, 09:48 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(10-13-2018, 09:47 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(10-13-2018, 09:24 PM)Juniper Wrote: I was watching something about the fall of the USSR and came across this description of how illegal rock and roll music was smuggled into the USSR during the heyday of R&R on XRay discs which they cut the grooves into, (which, somehow I never had heard of) and found it intriguing.  You could just roll up the film and tuck it into your sleeve. Which is pretty cool.  The buyer would buy 'bones' or 'ribs' from the seller.  Just thought it was interesting, because I don't think I've ever seen this. I'm guessing people are familiar with this, but I wasn't.

[Image: 1501191294248-Bone-Disc-4.jpeg?resize=1050:*]

I just recently read about this somewhere. Or maybe it was mentioned on American pickers.

I don't think I've ever heard of it before.
I hadn't either but Just within the last week or so I did... somewhere

Well, that's interesting...kind of synchronistic.
(10-13-2018, 10:04 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(10-13-2018, 09:55 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(10-13-2018, 09:48 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(10-13-2018, 09:47 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(10-13-2018, 09:24 PM)Juniper Wrote: I was watching something about the fall of the USSR and came across this description of how illegal rock and roll music was smuggled into the USSR during the heyday of R&R on XRay discs which they cut the grooves into, (which, somehow I never had heard of) and found it intriguing.  You could just roll up the film and tuck it into your sleeve. Which is pretty cool.  The buyer would buy 'bones' or 'ribs' from the seller.  Just thought it was interesting, because I don't think I've ever seen this. I'm guessing people are familiar with this, but I wasn't.

[Image: 1501191294248-Bone-Disc-4.jpeg?resize=1050:*]

I just recently read about this somewhere. Or maybe it was mentioned on American pickers.

I don't think I've ever heard of it before.
I hadn't either but Just within the last week or so I did... somewhere

Well, that's interesting...kind of synchronistic.
I remember things but it's common for me to not remember where I heard it or read it. I'm awesome om multiple choice tests Razz
It may have been Facebook where I heard about this.
It appears I'm not allowed to call someone a dickhead on FB. My first timeout!
2 days in the penalty box for high sticking to me. Smiling
(11-26-2018, 12:58 PM)bbqboy Wrote: It appears I'm not allowed to call someone a dickhead on FB. My first timeout!
2 days in the penalty box for high sticking to me.   Smiling

What site? I just got booted from the White city community site. It has an administrator who for some reason thinks she has to "approve" every post people make.
So some guy posted saying a power pole was broken and expect the power to be shut off when they fix it.
Well this Nazi administrator was not there to OK his post so it didn't get posted and no one got the warning.
And I dared to ask why she had to approve everything.
(11-26-2018, 12:58 PM)bbqboy Wrote: It appears I'm not allowed to call someone a dickhead on FB. My first timeout!

We're so proud!!   Laughing
(11-26-2018, 03:00 PM)tvguy Wrote:

What site? I just got booted from the White city community site. It has an administrator who for some reason thinks she has to "approve" every post people make.
So some guy posted saying a power pole was broken and expect the power to be shut off when they fix it.
Well this Nazi administrator was not there to OK his post so it didn't get posted and no one got the warning.
Josephine County Neighborhood Chat, the only place I usually talk politics.
Usually no holds barred, but some other dickhead must have flagged It, because the guy I called that wouldn't have reported me. 
What's the world coming to when you can't berate folks on the internet.
(11-26-2018, 05:31 PM)bbqboy Wrote:
(11-26-2018, 03:00 PM)tvguy Wrote:

Josephine County Neighborhood Chat, the only place I usually talk politics.
Usually no holds barred, but some other dickhead must have flagged It, because the guy I called that wouldn't have reported me. 
What's the world coming to when you can't berate folks on the internet.
  I was talking with a guy in W Medford who was saying it should not be illegal to speed or drive drunk UNLESS you actually have an accident.

I called him a loon or something and he turned me in to FB and I got a 24 hour suspension. It was Colby something.
He has other off the wall absurd ideas.
Back when people wrote letters to each other. Was there as much misunderstanding as there is now. 

Because now some of the things people write is practically unintelligible. Thanks to people using spell check and choosing the wrong word, And auto correct.
An ad to that texters who say wt RU ding?... and such.

What I'm saying is that I'm totally baffled at the ignorant way people write FB ads or whatever .

To be clear I doubt people even a hundred years ago would be as bad at grammar , spelling and punctuation as today.
(11-26-2018, 08:50 PM)tvguy Wrote: Back when people wrote letters to each other. Was there as much misunderstanding as there is now. 

Because now some of the things people write is practically unintelligible. Thanks to people using spell check and choosing the wrong word, And auto correct.

What I'm saying is that I'm totally baffled at the ignorant way people write FB ads or whatever .

To be clear I doubt people even a hundred years ago would be as bad at grammar , spelling and punctuation as today.

I agree. It's really bad. I'm baffled also. Are people really this illiterate or are they just lazy?  Because if they are, (either) idiocracy is in full force.
(11-26-2018, 09:00 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(11-26-2018, 08:50 PM)tvguy Wrote: Back when people wrote letters to each other. Was there as much misunderstanding as there is now. 

I agree. It's really bad. I'm baffled also. Are people really this illiterate or are they just lazy?  Because if they are, (either) idiocracy is in full force.

I think lazy is probably right. I just figure anything that the writer can't bother to take seriously enough to present their idea clearly I can't take seriously enough to read.

Idiocracy  Exactly. Moving backwards just like the movie.
(11-26-2018, 09:12 PM)Cuzz Wrote:

I think lazy is probably right. I just figure anything that the writer can't bother to take seriously enough to present their idea clearly I can't take seriously enough to read.

Speaking of writing, You do the same thing I do. Use words that are not needed. Like the word above in red.
I catch myself doing that all the time LOL
Redundancies . Ever since I started noticing how many people today start sentences with "SO". especially anyone recently out of college.
I have been noticing how many people use other unnecessary words.

"I mean"  For some reason these two words are used by people over and over, At the start of a sentence and then repeated through out.

"Um"  This is very common with highly educated people, politicians whatever. Some start every single sentence with UM

And some people actually start a sentence with all there!!  So , um I mean........

And maybe Juniper will know what it's called but a lot of people say thing like.. I never ever want to go there.
No need for the "ever". There are a million examples of that.
(11-27-2018, 02:57 PM)tvguy Wrote: Redundancies . Ever since I started noticing how many people today start sentences with "SO". especially anyone recently out of college.

"I mean"  For some reason these two words are used by people over and over, At the start of a sentence and then repeated through out.

"Um"  This is very common with highly educated people, politicians whatever. Some start every single sentence with UM

And some people actually start a sentence with all there!!  So , um I mean........

And maybe Juniper will know what it's called but a lot of people say thing like.. I never ever want to go there.

So, um. sometimes I prefer the informality of writing the way I do. I mean, with some imperfections. You know? I mean if everybody wrote the same way it would get soooo boring. 

Laughing Laughing
(11-27-2018, 03:11 PM)Cuzz Wrote:
(11-27-2018, 02:57 PM)tvguy Wrote: Redundancies . Ever since I started noticing how many people today start sentences with "SO". especially anyone recently out of college.

So, um. sometimes I prefer the informality of writing the way I do. I mean, with some imperfections. You know? I mean if everybody wrote the same way it would get soooo boring. 

Laughing Laughing
Bwa hahah.. You know what. I read that and at first I didn't see anything wrong Laughing

A double negative?  But, no, redundancy would be more accurate because it isn't incorrect to use that.
(11-27-2018, 02:47 PM)tvguy Wrote:

Speaking of writing, You do the same thing I do. Use words that are not needed. Like the word above in red.

Well, I'm not actually good at parsing or at English in particular, but the above red lettered word isn't incorrect.  It's just a variation. I think. I did read a book about writing that talked about the efficiency of language and it's impact on the reader.  The author went to some pains to show how adverbs aren't very powerful and it's best to avoid them, and I remember that.
(11-27-2018, 08:02 PM)Juniper Wrote:

Well, I'm not actually good at parsing or at English in particular, but the above red lettered word isn't incorrect.  It's just a variation. I think. I did read a book about writing that talked about the efficiency of language and it's impact on the reader.  The author went to some pains to show how adverbs aren't very powerful and it's best to avoid them, and I remember that.

I didn't say it was incorrect. I said it was unnecessary. But I think you got that

I totally forgot about other words people use over and over when they are speaking that are totally unnecessary.

Basically and actually
(11-27-2018, 08:39 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(11-26-2018, 09:00 PM)Juniper Wrote: I agree. It's really bad. I'm baffled also. Are people really this illiterate or are they just lazy?  Because if they are, (either) idiocracy is in full force.

I didn't say it was incorrect. I said it was unnecessary. But I think you got that

I totally forgot about other words people use over and over when they are speaking that are totally unnecessary.

Basically and actually
Or the "F" word.  A lot of people do that.  They use the  "F" word like a form of punctuation.  As in:  "I hate this effing, thing!" Or "That's effing great".
(11-27-2018, 09:43 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(11-27-2018, 08:39 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(11-26-2018, 09:12 PM)Cuzz Wrote: I think lazy is probably right. I just figure anything that the writer can't bother to take seriously enough to present their idea clearly I can't take seriously enough to read.

Basically and actually
Or the "F" word.  A lot of people do that.  They use the  "F" word like a form of punctuation.  As in:  "I hate this effing, thing!" Or "That's effing great".

That's effing ridiculous. Razz Wink