The Inappropriately Named Planned "Parenthood"
Liars and cheaters all, but look here, one Republican accidentally tells the truth. 

Top Republican: Let’s Make Planned Parenthood The Next Benghazi
BY EMILY ATKIN[Image: bird_blue_16.png] SEP 30, 2015 11:31AM

[Image: AP_73113559368-1024x682.jpg]
CREDIT: AP PHOTO/JACQUELYN MARTIN

House Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy, R-Calif., speaks in Washington, Monday, Sept. 28, 2015. McCarthy announced Monday his candidacy for House Speaker, replacing the outgoing John Boehner.

As he makes his case to become the next Speaker of the House, Rep. Kevin McCarthy (R-CA) has been touting his party’s role in damaging Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Clinton’s reputation by creating the House Select Committee on Benghazi. And now, he says, he wants Republicans to do the same thing to Planned Parenthood.

In two television appearances Monday night, McCarthy — one of the top contenders to replace outgoing Speaker John Boehner — suggested that the committee’s investigation into the attack on the U.S. consulate in Benghazi, Libya was directly responsible for Clinton’s declining poll numbers. These came despite previous assertions from House Republican leaders that the investigation was a non-partisan effort “not about targeting Clinton, but finding facts” about the 2012 attack.

But in one interview with CNN’s Jake Tapper, McCarthy said the select committee process worked so well at discrediting Clinton that it should also be used to build support for defunding Planned Parenthood at the federal level.

“When you look at the poll numbers of Hillary Clinton, they’ve dropped, unfavorables pretty high,” McCarthy said. “If we really want to be able to show what this Planned Parenthood has done — you see a few videos, so there’s real question — have the select committee get all the information, all the hearings, so the public can see that.”

Though the Benghazi Select Committee spent years and millions of taxpayer dollars investigating whether Clinton mishandled the events leading up to and following the 2012 attack, it did not find substantive evidence backing up those claims. In fact, a report commissioned by the committeedisproved conspiracy theories about that night, found little evidence of negligence, and no intelligence failure on the part of the CIA.
Still, McCarthy thinks the committee had a lot to do with Clinton’s declining poll numbers. On Monday night, Fox News host Sean Hannity agreed.

“Everybody thought Hillary Clinton was unbeatable, right? But we put together a Benghazi special committee, a select committee,” McCarthy said, speaking to Hannity. “What are her numbers today? Her numbers are dropping. Why? Because she’s untrustable. But no one would have known any of that had happened, had we not fought and made that happen.”

“I agree,” Hannity said. “That’s something good, I’ll give you credit for that.”

Now, House Republicans are trying to eliminate all federal funding for Planned Parenthood based on similarly shaky claims. The call for defunding the women’s health organization stem from sting videos released this summer, which accuse Planned Parenthood of profiting off the sale of fetal tissue from abortions. However, there has been no substantive evidence to back up that claim, and at least one state attorney general-led investigation has found no evidence of wrongdoing.
(10-01-2015, 08:36 AM)cletus1 Wrote: Liars and cheaters all, but look here, one Republican accidentally tells the truth. 
Speaking of liars and cheaters...

[Image: hillary-clinton-testifietemp27000-500.png]
[Image: Pathological-Liar.jpg]
[Image: 6dc163f39c36909006aaa36b73e27726.jpg]
[Image: 4147219496_bill_clinton_ff.jpeg]
Hey SF lib, you're slipping up. Hillary looks good in that picture. What's the matter with you? Did you flunk out of right wing hate 101?.

You of all people should know that you are supposed to post the worst pics of Michelle or Hillary that  you can possibly find.
Who wants to defend this man? This is about math people, so this time there is a right and a wrong answer. How about you go first SFL?

[Image: 490526642.jpg?itok=IGIwiC_c]

Chairman Jason Chaffetz (R-UT) questions Cecile Richards, president of Planned Parenthood Federation of America Inc. during her testimony in a House Oversight and Government Reform Committee hearing on Capitol Hill, Sept. 29, 2015 in Washington, D.C.

Photo by Mark Wilson/Getty

GOP rep stands by bogus Planned Parenthood chart
10/01/15 10:17 AM—UPDATED 10/01/15 10:25 AM

By Steve Benen

It was arguably the most important moment in this week’s congressional hearing on Planned Parenthood. Rep. Jason Chaffetz (R-Utah), chairman of the House Oversight panel, was slowly building his case against the health care organization, leading Planned Parenthood President Cecile Richards towards his grand finale: a chart that purports to show the number of prevention services provided by the health care group steadily declining, while the number of abortions steadily increasing.

Chaffetz even boasted that his devastating evidence came “straight from [Planned Parenthood’s] annual reports.”

Unfortunately for the Utah Republican, Chaffetz’s evidence ended up embarrassing him, not his target. The chart’s data had been manipulated in a deceptive way, and it had come from an avid anti-abortion group, not Planned Parenthood’s annual reports. His winning argument was a disaster, which left the chairman momentarily speechless. The GOP lawmaker eventually concluded he would “get to the bottom” of this.

Well, Chaffetz has now had a couple of days to do that, and as it turns out, he’s still convinced he’s right.

Quote:[CNN host Wolf Blitzer] asked Chaffetz about a chart from anti-abortion group Americans United For Life that the congressman used during the hearing. The chart reflects the number of abortions and cancer screenings provided by Planned Parenthood between 2006 and 2013. But the lines on the chart make it seem like the organization performs more abortions than cancer screening if one cannot see the numbers.

Chaffetz said he did not believe the chart was misleading. “I stand by the numbers. I can understand where people would say the arrows went different directions, but the numbers are accurate. And that’s what we were trying to portray,” he told Blitzer.

I can appreciate why the Republican chairman was disappointed by how his hearing turned out. He did, after all, expect to make a powerful case against Planned Parenthood, which obviously didn’t happen. On the contrary, Chaffetz’s show trial even disappointed his allies.

But he really shouldn’t “stand by” a stunt that went horribly awry.

Even if we put aside the fact that Chaffetz got the source of the chart wrong – he overlooked the fact that it literally says, “Source: Americans United for Life,” in all capital letters – his proof was gibberish. He and his staff, for example, created a chart with no y axis, rendering the entire image meaningless.

What’s more, over the course of the decade, the numbers really haven’t budged. Vox’s Tim Leeexplained, “So it’s not true, as the chart implies, that Planned Parenthood has been performing more abortions while drastically cutting back the provision of other services. The overall number of non-abortion services provided by Planned Parenthood barely changed at all, going from 10.29 million in 2006 to 10.26 million in 2013.”

What’s more, Cecile Richards explained that there was a slight decline in the number of cancer screening because “some of the services, like pap smears, dropped in frequency because of changing medical standards about who should be screened and how often.”

In other words, everything about Chaffetz’s argument was wrong. Literally, everything. And it’s against this backdrop that the committee chairman still says, “I stand by the numbers.”

It’s one thing to make a mistake. But responsible officials should acknowledge the error, correct it, and move on. Pretending what’s wrong is right is just unbecoming.

Disclosure: My wife works for Planned Parenthood, but she played no role in this report, and her work is unrelated to the services Chaffetz tried to describe.

[Image: I_Stand_With_Plannded_Parenthood-For_Pri...dscape.png]
man, that's an ugly color.
[Image: 12308444_10153749428444795_7747516146367...e=571FE4D2]
With the "awesome" obamacare planned parenthood shouldn't be needed anymore, right? Oh snap, I forgot, Obamacare is SOOO great that their largest insurance provider just bailed out, along with 23 other ones. The ones that are left are failing as well, oh well.
(12-06-2015, 10:20 AM)orygunluvr Wrote: With the "awesome" obamacare planned parenthood shouldn't be needed anymore, right? Oh snap, I forgot, Obamacare is SOOO great that their largest insurance provider just bailed out, along with 23 other ones. The ones that are left are failing as well, oh well.
It's proof positive of my lack of discipline and intelligence that I continue to respond to your tirades. You have revealed yourself to be a "one trick pony" without the ability to be objective. 

That said...

You have (for once) a point. A tiny one, but still a point. The ACA does provide services that make Planned Parenthood unnecessary for many procedures. . We sometimes forget that the original goal of Planned Parenthood was to provide information to women of limited means the information to limit the size of families they could ill afford to provide for. That it has expand to other services doesn't make it unnecessary. Many of us who support the program have problems with their abortion practices that include late term abortions. That alone does not subtract from the total of services they provide. 

But all things considered the program is necessary and fits well into all the services available to women, including those of the ACA. 

With regard to your comment about some insurance companies "bailing out", that's an entire different kettle of fish. The ACA is still "a work in progress" and it was anticipated that the insurance companies would go through a "sorting" in finding who could adapt and prosper (many have) in this new environment. And any discussion about the ACA has to end with who, in opposition, has submitted a reasonable option to the ACA that would provide coverage for the millions who were without access but now have it. Ranting criticism is easy. Providing reasonable options is difficult. 
(12-06-2015, 10:53 AM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(12-06-2015, 10:20 AM)orygunluvr Wrote: With the "awesome" obamacare planned parenthood shouldn't be needed anymore, right? Oh snap, I forgot, Obamacare is SOOO great that their largest insurance provider just bailed out, along with 23 other ones. The ones that are left are failing as well, oh well.
It's proof positive of my lack of discipline and intelligence that I continue to respond to your tirades. You have revealed yourself to be a "one trick pony" without the ability to be objective. 

That said...

You have (for once) a point. A tiny one, but still a point. The ACA does provide services that make Planned Parenthood unnecessary for many procedures. . We sometimes forget that the original goal of Planned Parenthood was to provide information to women of limited means the information to limit the size of families they could ill afford to provide for. That it has expand to other services doesn't make it unnecessary. Many of us who support the program have problems with their abortion practices that include late term abortions. That alone does not subtract from the total of services they provide. 

But all things considered the program is necessary and fits well into all the services available to women, including those of the ACA. 

With regard to your comment about some insurance companies "bailing out", that's an entire different kettle of fish. The ACA is still "a work in progress" and it was anticipated that the insurance companies would go through a "sorting" in finding who could adapt and prosper (many have) in this new environment. And any discussion about the ACA has to end with who, in opposition, has submitted a reasonable option to the ACA that would provide coverage for the millions who were without access but now have it. Ranting criticism is easy. Providing reasonable options is difficult. 

You shoukd write speeches for obozo, you gloss over facts and the truth, fill in the middle with inaccurate and false talking points, and finish off with a warm steamy pile of bullshit. In other words, in the democratic circles, this was an outstanding post.
(12-06-2015, 10:59 AM)orygunluvr Wrote:

That said...

You shoukd write speeches for obozo, you gloss over facts and the truth, fill in the middle with inaccurate and false talking points, and finish off with a warm steamy pile of bullshit. In other words, in the democratic circles, this was an outstanding post.

WTF?!?!  YOU don't know the first thing about "facts and the truth"!  You are the KING of "fill in the middle with inaccurate and false talking points, and finish off with a warm steamy pile of bullshit"!  Look in the freaking mirror, dolt!
(12-06-2015, 10:59 AM)orygunluvr Wrote:

That said...

I think you meant "Democratic" circles. (Hey...I make these kind of mistakes all the time. Just sayin"...)