It's time to go with LED lighting
(08-07-2015, 05:28 PM)chuck white Wrote:
(08-07-2015, 10:39 AM)tvguy Wrote:
(08-06-2015, 06:57 PM)tornado Wrote:
(08-05-2015, 11:22 AM)tvguy Wrote:
(08-04-2015, 04:49 PM)tornado Wrote: I received, free, from The Energy Trust of Oregon, eight 60W LED bulbs. All but one are too bright for the fixtures in my house. The one I'm using is perfect in my clamp-on work lamp. I don't know if I'll ever use the rest. I'm addicted to incandescent lighting and the extra warmth it emits in the cold months. Check out their energy saver kit. http://energytrust.org/residential/free-your-home/

What do you heat your house with that requires supplement heat from obsolete incandescent bulbs?

If they 60 watt (equivalent) LED bulbs you have are too bright I'm sure you can get dimmer LED lights.

They don't really supplement my forced air electric and wood heat. I just like them and don't care if they are obsolete, so am I. I've yet to see any LED bulbs under 60W equivalent for standard fixtures.

I'm addicted to incandescent lighting and the extra warmth it emits in the cold months

Addicted or is it what they call "set in your ways" Smiling

An LED bulb only uses 20% of the power of an incandescent. The estimated yearly cost of one of these bulbs is $1.02. That's crazy cheap. For comparison, a similar incandescent bulb would cost roughly $7.23 over the year.

It's a no brainier for me.

You can't count the savings for winter months, if you have electric heat.
each watt second you don't use in the light bulb will be consumed by the electric heater to maintain the same energy flow into your house.

but on the other hand during the summer, if you have air conditioning. You save double because each watt second that you don't dump into your house you don't have to remove with the air conditioning

Yes I get the fact that incandescent bulbs are basically small heaters. But You "save double" in the summer??  Seems to me like what you lose in the summer is made up for in the winter.

Assuming tiny heaters in the ceiling are beneficial and not counting outdoor lights.I have 9 outdoor lights.

It's still a no brainer IMO.
(08-07-2015, 07:27 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(08-06-2015, 06:57 PM)tornado Wrote:
(08-05-2015, 11:22 AM)tvguy Wrote: What do you heat your house with that requires supplement heat from obsolete incandescent bulbs?

If they 60 watt (equivalent) LED bulbs you have are too bright I'm sure you can get dimmer LED lights.

They don't really supplement my forced air electric and wood heat. I just like them and don't care if they are obsolete, so am I. I've yet to see any LED bulbs under 60W equivalent for standard fixtures.

I'm addicted to incandescent lighting and the extra warmth it emits in the cold months

An LED bulb only uses 20% of the power of an incandescent. The estimated yearly cost of one of these bulbs is $1.02. That's crazy cheap. For comparison, a similar incandescent bulb would cost roughly $7.23 over the year.

each watt second you don't use in the light bulb will be consumed by the electric heater to maintain the same energy flow into your house.

but on the other hand during the summer, if you have air conditioning. You save double because each watt second that you don't dump into your house you don't have to remove with the air conditioning

Yes I get the fact that incandescent bulbs are basically small heaters. But You "save double" in the summer??  Seems to me like what you lose in the summer is made up for in the winter.

Assuming tiny heaters in the ceiling are beneficial and not counting outdoor lights.I have 9 outdoor lights.

You just have to go to bed when the sun goes down. No lights needed.
(08-08-2015, 07:56 AM)tornado Wrote:
(08-06-2015, 06:57 PM)tornado Wrote: They don't really supplement my forced air electric and wood heat. I just like them and don't care if they are obsolete, so am I. I've yet to see any LED bulbs under 60W equivalent for standard fixtures.

Different ways to skin a cat, right?          Sorry, never mind.  Razz
(08-08-2015, 07:56 AM)tornado Wrote:
(08-06-2015, 06:57 PM)tornado Wrote: They don't really supplement my forced air electric and wood heat. I just like them and don't care if they are obsolete, so am I. I've yet to see any LED bulbs under 60W equivalent for standard fixtures.

My wife likes a dark house. with dark curtains. My living room/dining/kitchen faces east and I have overhanging eves on that side. So I use several lights during the day. All the windows that get the most light are bedrooms.

We have argued about this and came to a compromise. Everything stays the same and I shut up about it.
You could wear LED head lights and not need room lights at all.
(08-08-2015, 01:03 PM)chuck white Wrote: You could wear LED head lights and not need room lights at all.

Or I could pipe in light with fiber optics.
(08-08-2015, 01:17 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(08-08-2015, 01:03 PM)chuck white Wrote: You could wear LED head lights and not need room lights at all.

Don't bother, it'll never catch on. 
(08-08-2015, 01:28 PM)Cuzz Wrote:

I had an old Cadillac, about a 72 I guess. Above the visor there were all these tiny lights that would show when your headlights , tail lights or turn signals were working. I found out one day that they were not lights at all but fiber optic cables that went TO the lights
(08-08-2015, 01:34 PM)tvguy Wrote:

I had an old Cadillac, about a 72 I guess. Above the visor there were all these tiny lights that would show when your headlights , tail lights or turn signals were working. I found out one day that they were not lights at all but fiber optic cables that went TO the lights

Laughing Laughing Laughing But one hell of a good idea! Maybe you should write to GM and tell 'em you will sell them a GREAT IDEA for 100 bucks. 
I'd love that feature. 
(08-08-2015, 02:45 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(08-08-2015, 01:34 PM)tvguy Wrote:

Laughing Laughing Laughing But one hell of a good idea! Maybe you should write to GM and tell 'em you will sell them a GREAT IDEA for 100 bucks. 
I'd love that feature. 

Well, that makes no sense, what's to break? How could the dealerships make money on something like that?  Razz
Lowes has a special on a 2pk of 60watt equivalent LED bulbs for $3.98, the best deal I've seen to date. I bought a pack today for the heck of it and they work great. They still had quite a few in the store but they seemed to be going fast.
(09-04-2015, 11:48 AM)GPnative Wrote: Lowes has a special on a 2pk of 60watt equivalent LED bulbs for $3.98, the best deal I've seen to date. I bought a pack today for the heck of it and they work great. They still had quite a few in the store but they seemed to be going fast.

That is a very good deal. BTW I got my care package from energy trust I got about 10 ( I think) 60 watt equivalent LED bulbs and four recessed light style bulbs Big Grin
I found this in the $2.00 clearance basket at Haggens. They had the soft white and daylight. I think I'll go back and pick up a few of each.

[Image: 41zdCwN3RsL._SX342_.jpg]
(09-05-2015, 12:59 PM)Valuesize Wrote: I found this in the $2.00 clearance basket at Haggens. They had the soft white and daylight. I think I'll go back and pick up a few of each.

[Image: 41zdCwN3RsL._SX342_.jpg]

One day later they were sold out.
Now I'm looking to replace the 3 bulbs in the most used light, the dining room chandelier. It is also THE most unnecessarily left on light so I think LED's are in order, but not at $20.00 a pop. If anyone see's a deal somewhere, can you post it here? TIA!

Like this: https://www.earthled.com/collections/60-...2149131076

Edit: This shape will work also and it does not need to be dimmable.

[Image: 046135159862lg.jpg]
(09-30-2015, 10:38 AM)Valuesize Wrote: Now I'm looking to replace the 3 bulbs in the most used light, the dining room chandelier. It is also THE most unnecessarily left on light so I think LED's are in order, but not at $20.00 a pop. If anyone see's a deal somewhere, can you post it here? TIA!

Edit: This shape will work also.

I won't be too much help here because I can't remember the cost, but I am sure it is quite a bit less than $20/ea., I saw them at Costco in a 3 pack.

Edit to add: Not the same pack I saw in store, but still a much better deal than $20/ea.
Costco LED bulb
(09-30-2015, 10:46 AM)GPnative Wrote: I won't be too much help here because I can't remember the cost, but I am sure it is quite a bit less than $20/ea., I saw them at Costco in a 3 pack.

Edit to add: Not the same pack I saw in store, but still a much better deal than $20/ea.
Costco LED bulb

Thanks. I'm looking for the 60 Watt Equal and will search their website.
(09-30-2015, 10:38 AM)Valuesize Wrote: Now I'm looking to replace the 3 bulbs in the most used light, the dining room chandelier. It is also THE most unnecessarily left on light so I think LED's are in order, but not at $20.00 a pop. If anyone see's a deal somewhere, can you post it here? TIA!

Edit: This shape will work also and it does not need to be dimmable.

These are about 8 bucks each.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-60W-Equiva.../205974905
(09-30-2015, 11:24 AM)tvguy Wrote: These are about 8 bucks each.

I need 3.  Big Grin

Here is the best I have found.
 http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00Z9W7..._pC_nS_ttl

Was hoping one of you could find a real special deal like $4.00 each.  Cool
(09-30-2015, 11:52 AM)Valuesize Wrote:
(09-30-2015, 11:24 AM)tvguy Wrote: These are about 8 bucks each.

I need 3.  Big Grin

Here is the best I have found.
 http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00Z9W7..._pC_nS_ttl

Was hoping one of you could find a real special deal like $4.00 each.  Cool

Your style of light fixture is the problem. I'm thinking they don't mass produce enough of those candelabra bulbs to be able to sell them cheap. They have the smaller base and they always have been expensive.
Even if you bought these  adapters you would still have to pay too much for a round or decorative style LED bulb.

Best bet,(except that you rent) get rid of the fixture and get one with globes that cover the bulb so you can put whatever you want in it.

[url=http://www.amazon.com/JACKY-LED-5-Pack-E12-Adapter/dp/B00L595FA0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1443639641&sr=8-1&keywords=candelabra+base+adapter][/url]