Grants Pass wasting our money again
Bunch of entitled folks in Grants Pass can't get across the river unless they have TWO bridges. Just because one is kind of old and needs some paint and stuff, they want to spend our ODOT money to turn the Caveman Bridge into some kind of show piece. Hey, what's up?...they can't swim? I've always felt that "Cavemen" people are all animal skins and no muscle. I mean if your REALLY want to get to the other side of the river and can't swim you could alway use a rope and horse ferry. Or drive to Rogue River and come down the other side. 

Just another example of the sins of Big Government. 

GRANTS PASS[b] 

Caveman Bridge needs an overhaul
[/b]

By Jeff Duewel

Grants Pass Daily Courier

Caveman Bridge, the iconic structure built by legendary bridge designer Conde McCullough 84 years ago, needs a facelift.

Concrete chunks have fallen out of support beams. A piece of steel fills a spot where a square of concrete on the railing fell off. A chunk is missing where a graceful arch meets the sidewalk.

The bridge over the Rogue River on Highway 99 is one of more than 400 bridges in Oregon judged to be structurally deficient by Transportation for America, a nonpartisan group concerned with transportation infrastructure.

“It’s probably the worst bridge in Josephine County,” opined Gary Leaming, spokesman for the Oregon Department
 of Transportation. “But when it gets done it’s going to look like a brand-new bridge. We’re doing a major overhaul of that bridge.”

That’s right, ODOT has the upgrade on the docket for 2017, a project likely to cost more than $5 million.

The fix-it list includes new pavement, and repair of cracks, failed joints and crumbling concrete, Leaming said.

The bridge is in no danger of collapsing, but it’s looking pretty sad. It gets power-washed every few years, and riprap was dumped in the river next to supports a dozen years ago, but not much has happened in recent years. It shows.

“Caveman Bridge is really a landmark bridge not only for Grants Pass, but for Southern Oregon,” Leaming said.

The work is still in the
 planning stages.

“We’re still refining the scope of how we’re going to do it,” Leaming added. “We may be looking at night-time closures, single-lane daytime closures, or a full closure for a month or so. There’s a lot of groundwork we still need to do. We want to keep inconveniences to a minimum. There will be impacts, but we’ve shown we can do work in Grant Pass and do it well.”

Leaming said the bridge work wouldn’t be as difficult for drivers as the downtown repaving in the late 1990s.

The railing of the bridge will be completely replaced, but will preserve the original look, similar to what was done on the Rock Point Bridge near Gold Hill a few years back.

Rock Point, in fact, was one of the original bridges designed
 by McCullough, whose works of functional art include Yaquina in Newport, Alsea Bay at Waldport, the Siuslaw Bridge at Florence, the Isaac Patterson Bridge at Gold Beach and the namesake McCullough Bridge at North Bend.

Most of the bridges were built between 1925 and 1936.

Caveman Bridge, which was built in 1931, is unusual in its “through-arch” design, which means the road runs in the middle of the arches, as opposed to on top or on the bottom of the arches, according to Robert Harlow, historian for ODOT and author of “Elegant Arches, Soaring Spans.”

The Wilson River Bridge in Tillamook, and Tenmile Creek and Big Creek on the central Oregon coast are also through-arch bridges designed by McCullough.

Are you just being a dick? Or this passes as humor? Maybe once you could stop attempting cute and just say what you mean.
(08-13-2015, 03:28 PM)bbqboy Wrote: Are you just being a dick? Or this passes as humor? Maybe once you could stop attempting cute and just say what you mean.

Unbelievable . I swear to God you are the most miserable sad sack piece of shit this form has ever seen.

It must suck to be a dry bitter crying drunk.

It's obvious to anyone Wonky was kidding. If you really need to know his opinion you could just ask.

Oh but that's just not your bitchy whining sniveling style is it.
(08-13-2015, 04:37 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(08-13-2015, 03:28 PM)bbqboy Wrote: Are you just being a dick? Or this passes as humor? Maybe once you could stop attempting cute and just say what you mean.

Unbelievable . I swear to God you are the most miserable sad sack piece of shit this form has ever seen.

It's obvious to anyone Wonky was kidding. If you really need to know his opinion you could just ask.

Oh but that's just not your bitchy whining sniveling style is it.

He's sick, TVg.
And he also has had some real serious medical problems.  Razz
I'm exuberant. Being sick is liberating as far as telling the truth to power, or in this case, 2 smug dicks. It wasn't funny, and why you feel the need to always step in and intervene, well that's your problem, not mine.
(08-14-2015, 09:05 AM)bbqboy Wrote: I'm exuberant. Being sick is liberating as far as telling the truth to power, or in this case, 2 smug dicks. It wasn't funny, and why you feel the need to always step in and intervene, well that's your problem, not mine.

You post for no reason other than to bitch
And I always need to intervene? Why don't you go get drunk, That's what you must need.

Why share your miserable pathetic piss and moan existence ( not life) here when you have ZERO to offer but hate?

Given the choice I'll take being a "smug dick" over a whining sniveling PUSSY any day.
How many cavemen are left anyway. I don't think they need their own bridge.
So ODOT wants to update the southbound Highway 99 (AKA: Caveman Bridge) for around $5 Million dollars. Big Deal this money was budgeted by the state of Oregon; not Josephine County. What ODOT is doing to updating bridges to meet modern standards. Learn from the mistakes from other states. Remember when the I-5 bridge in Mt. Vernon, Washington collapsed a few years back? That is what ODOT is trying to prevent.

What the ODOT is doing; is their job. That job is called maintenance.

The only thing that makes sense in this thread is the Daily Courier article.
(08-14-2015, 01:15 PM)Oscar Wrote: So ODOT wants to update the southbound Highway 99 (AKA: Caveman Bridge) for around $5 Million dollars. Big Deal this money was budgeted by the state of Oregon; not Josephine County. What ODOT is doing to updating bridges to meet modern standards. Learn from the mistakes from other states. Remember when the I-5 bridge in Mt. Vernon, Washington collapsed a few years back? That is what ODOT is trying to prevent.

I agree and I bet OP does too. As far as making sense of this thread,  Pretty sure the topic was just put out there because that's how this place works.
(08-14-2015, 01:52 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(08-14-2015, 01:15 PM)Oscar Wrote: So ODOT wants to update the southbound Highway 99 (AKA: Caveman Bridge) for around $5 Million dollars. Big Deal this money was budgeted by the state of Oregon; not Josephine County. What ODOT is doing to updating bridges to meet modern standards. Learn from the mistakes from other states. Remember when the I-5 bridge in Mt. Vernon, Washington collapsed a few years back? That is what ODOT is trying to prevent.

I agree and I bet OP does too. As far as making sense of this thread,  Pretty sure the topic was just put out there because that's how this place works.
Hey, TVg, your could be a moderator or a referee or something. 
Holy crapola!
Hey, I KNOW I'm not the wittiest, most clever, funniest guy that ever pounded on the keyboard, but holy crap! Yer right. I saw the article int the MT and first of all thought it kind of funny that we have a "caveman bridge". I mean really! Cavemen building, or needing a bridge? 

Oh never mind. 

Hey seriously, I'm truly glad ODOT is doing something about this. We hear it's really a serious problem that our "infrastructure" is falling apart and no being repaired. All, while we have so many folks out of work.

There. My stab at a serious comment. But, because everyone already knows the problem, the comment wasn't even necessary. So I.... well, you know. Embarrassed
They could drain the river and we wouldn't need a bridge.

Oh but that's just not your bitchy whining sniveling style is
wow! 
(08-17-2015, 08:11 AM)Willie Krash Wrote:

Oh but that's just not your bitchy whining sniveling style is
wow! 

Maybe if you were around more often you would be as sick of those kind of BBQ's posts as I am.
...and of course the funny thing is that you're the reason more people don't post more often. But you knew that.
(08-17-2015, 11:24 AM)bbqboy Wrote: ...and of course the funny thing is that you're the reason more people don't post more often. But you knew that.

You keep believing that, maybe it makes your sorry ass feel better. But even if that were true who would want to stay here if they see your whining pussy ass bitch posts every fucking day.
Now that's the spirit. 
(08-17-2015, 03:01 PM)cletus1 Wrote: Now that's the spirit. 

I came here looking for something

I couldn't find anywhere else
Hey, I'm not trying to be nobody
I just want a chance to be myself

Hey you don't know me but you don't like me
You say you care less how I feel
But how many of you that sit and judge me
Have ever walked the streets of anywhere. Big Grin
I win.
Thank you, to all who showed up and participated. I had a grand laugh!  Laughing Laughing
(08-17-2015, 03:06 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(08-17-2015, 03:01 PM)cletus1 Wrote: Now that's the spirit. 

I came here looking for something

I couldn't find anywhere else
Hey, I'm not trying to be nobody
I just want a chance to be myself

Hey you don't know me but you don't like me
You say you care less how I feel
But how many of you that sit and judge me
Have ever walked the streets of anywhere. Big Grin

Don't really like poetry that does not rhyme.