Watched on Netflix (or other streaming channels)
(12-06-2016, 10:08 AM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(12-06-2016, 07:11 AM)Hugo Wrote:
(12-06-2016, 06:54 AM)cletus1 Wrote:
(12-05-2016, 07:17 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(12-05-2016, 10:35 AM)Wonky3 Wrote: The Coen Brothers do that. My own feeling is that I watch the ending of "No Country..." as a kind of poetry. One takes from it what one sees maybe. 
For real Coen Brothers poetry, have a look at "Barton Fink". Now THAT, for me, was way beyond poetry I can understand. 
I hope to NEVER meet a character like that played by Javier Bardem! 

You know a movie is good when you never during the film think about the repairs you have to make to the roof.
Actually, you just named one of my "movie tests".   I have tests for whether a movie is good or not. The first one is the "coffee pot test". or so I call it.  It means if I can watch this in the movie theater and not start wondering if I left the coffee pot on, it's pretty good.  Test two is: Believably. It doesn't matter if the movie isn't believable, what matters is do I believe the characters in the movie?  Star Wars is a good example. I don't really find the setting all that believable but the characters and the world are believable so I believe it.  Success.  Test three:  Do I care?  If I care about the characters that is a good sign. If I don't, test three fails.  Test four and this one is a biggy for me.  Do I think about this movie afterwards?  If I find myself thinking about a movie and replaying scenes in my mind and wanting to see those again that's a huge indicator to me that the movie was a good one.  I've seen several movies recently and honestly can't even remember anything about them the next day.  So test four is important. I think that's my main "rules for if a movie is good."   Laughing Laughing I know you all were dying to hear my movie tests! Big Grin

I really like those tests, especially the last one. I use similar criteria to judge dramatic movies. Comedy has only one test; was the movie funny. Did I really laugh out loud? I know humor is somewhat subjective, but some comedy just isn't that funny to me. Like the movie 'Taladega Nights.'

'There Will Be Blood' is another movie that came out at the same time that 'No Country For Old Men' did. I really enjoyed that movie as well.

Briefly, just on the subject of Talledega Nights, I am NOT a fan of almost everything by Will Farrell.  His brand of "funny" is just stupid most of the time, to me.

I don't "get" Will Farrell either. But, I guess a lot of folks love his humor...keeps making movies. 

Hey Clete, I too thought "There Will Be Blood" was really well done! Mattter of fact I'm not sure I"ve ever seen a film with Daniel Day Lewis that was not good. (He was brilliant in "Lincoln") 

I REALLY enjoy (some) movies! Best escape ever. And, have too often walked out of movies I didn't like. 

By the way: Anyone seen "Hacksaw Ridge". I'm tempted, IF it gives at least some honest history of the battle on Okinawa. (An uncle who I admired, fought, and survived, on that bloody island. Only later to be killed in a senesless logging accident: Irony!) My reservation is that Mel Gibbson made the thing and I'm not a fan of his.

I have not seen one movie from Will Farrell that I would recommend. 

Jack Black can be a little off too, but I mostly enjoy his movies. I like Shallow Hal for an enjoyably simple movie that doesn't make you think hard. 

Steve Carrell is fantastic in the '40 Year Old Virgin' in my opinion. 

Adam Sandler is OK. I put him in the same category I do Jack Black.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Watched on Netflix (or other streaming channels) - by cletus1 - 12-06-2016, 03:54 PM