Watched on Netflix (or other streaming channels)
(12-06-2016, 05:12 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(12-06-2016, 10:54 AM)Hugo Wrote:
(12-06-2016, 10:41 AM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(12-06-2016, 10:20 AM)Hugo Wrote:
(12-06-2016, 10:08 AM)Wonky3 Wrote: I don't "get" Will Farrell either. But, I guess a lot of folks love his humor...keeps making movies. 

Hey Clete, I too thought "There Will Be Blood" was really well done! Mattter of fact I'm not sure I"ve ever seen a film with Daniel Day Lewis that was not good. (He was brilliant in "Lincoln") 

I REALLY enjoy (some) movies! Best escape ever. And, have too often walked out of movies I didn't like. 

By the way: Anyone seen "Hacksaw Ridge". I'm tempted, IF it gives at least some honest history of the battle on Okinawa. (An uncle who I admired, fought, and survived, on that bloody island. Only later to be killed in a senesless logging accident: Irony!) My reservation is that Mel Gibbson made the thing and I'm not a fan of his.

I've seen it, and it is amazing.  Not for the squeamish.  Mel Gibson will win Best Director for this. edit: Be sure to watch the ending with interviews from the real people involved.

Thanks for the "feedback". Yeah, I heard an interview with a movie reviewer who agrees with you that Gibson should win Best Director for this. 
I have mixed feelings about "war movies". I'm not even sure where the breakdown for me is, but some I see as just "another action flick" that I don't enjoy. But becuase I have great respect and admiration for those who went to war when our nation was truly at risk, I like to see the re-creation  of events that honors them. We OWE them!

This is not an "action flick".  But beware that the re-creation of events you are asking for are very graphic.

Saw it today. Definitely not an "action flick"! And yes, was was depicted in all it's horror and tragedy, not a hint of "John Wayne glory". 
I thought Gibbson did a very good job of "settting up" this story: A long front-end of the film was the necessary in flushing out the true story of this man who above all valued ethiics and was complete dedication to his beliefs. The only "star" (that I was aware of anyway) was Vince Vaughn, proving good films can be made without billlion dollar star power: I like that.

Not for the "faint of heart", this is a story worthy of some attention for the reasons mentioned above. 

PS: For those waiting for it to be shown on Neflix (etc), my guess is you will be missiing a lot. This is (IMHO) made for the Big Screen.

The only "star" (that I was aware of anyway) was Vince Vaughn, proving good films can be made without billlion dollar star power:

I really like Vince Vaughn and I thought he was a pretty big star and probably highly paid..
I REALLY liked him in true Detective season two. He can really play a believable bad/tough guy Smiling  
If he can be bought cheap for a movie I'm surprised .

Messages In This Thread
RE: Watched on Netflix (or other streaming channels) - by tvguy - 12-07-2016, 05:37 PM