Watched on Netflix (or other streaming channels)
(09-12-2018, 01:26 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(09-11-2018, 05:25 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(09-11-2018, 02:04 AM)tvguy Wrote:
(09-10-2018, 09:06 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(08-27-2018, 12:02 AM)tvguy Wrote: Yes and I like t OK. It's a tad unbelievable but all in all I think It's pretty good and worth watching.

this show has me going back and forth.  Sometimes it's good, and sometimes it's so pandering and schmarmy it makes me squirm.  It reminds me of something but I can't think what, I can't put my finger on it.....but I'm thinking Larry in the scenario.   I don't know what it is, but while the storyline can be interesting and there's things I like, it really has some cringe worthiness to it.

I totally get what you are saying. But I have that problem with a lot of series. One week you watch and you go.. Holy crap that was a wasted hour.

Lodge 49 anyone?  kind of stupid but interesting and funny.

The Sinner? Not too bad but then sometimes it is bad

No I haven't watched either of those. I was considering the possibility of the The Sinner but have doubts.  I've watched The Good Doctor and it's very much like that, in terms of cringe worthiness but it can be good for observing spectrum characteristics as does Atypical on Netflix.  .  Or 911. I actually don't watch much television and not many series regularly.  I'd say right now for series it's BCS and trying to get myself to like Yellowstone better and kind of the same with Ozark.  But, geeeesh!!...last night I watched Yellowstone and their foreshadowing of plot points is like a brick through a window, the conflicts within the family are melodrama, the possibilities vs probabilities beggar believably.
 Well for me the good doctor is a comedy. Ask my wife I do impressions of him all the time

Yes I suppose you could compare it to the sinner for cringe worthiness but other than that they seem totally different.
The Sinner is full of suspense and the "who done it" factor. It's not so great but for me good enough to keep watching to find out what happens.

Ozark? If it's the hillbilly clan show I watched it one time and that was enough. 911? I know nothing about it.
Ozark is not hillbilly. It's actually quite good!

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk
(09-12-2018, 04:55 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(09-11-2018, 02:04 AM)tvguy Wrote:
(09-10-2018, 09:06 PM)Juniper Wrote: this show has me going back and forth.  Sometimes it's good, and sometimes it's so pandering and schmarmy it makes me squirm.  It reminds me of something but I can't think what, I can't put my finger on it.....but I'm thinking Larry in the scenario. Laughing Laughing   I don't know what it is, but while the storyline can be interesting and there's things I like, it really has some cringe worthiness to it.

I totally get what you are saying. But I have that problem with a lot of series. One week you watch and you go.. Holy crap that was a wasted hour.

No I haven't watched either of those. I was considering the possibility of the The Sinner but have doubts.  I've watched The Good Doctor and it's very much like that, in terms of cringe worthiness but it can be good for observing spectrum characteristics as does Atypical on Netflix.  .  Or 911. I actually don't watch much television and not many series regularly.  I'd say right now for series it's BCS and trying to get myself to like Yellowstone better and kind of the same with Ozark.  But, geeeesh!!...last night I watched Yellowstone and their foreshadowing of plot points is like a brick through a window, the conflicts within the family are melodrama, the possibilities vs probabilities beggar believably.
 Well for me the good doctor is a comedy. Ask my wife I do impressions of him all the time Razz

Yes I suppose you could compare it to the sinner for cringe worthiness but other than that they seem totally different.
The Sinner is full of suspense and the "who done it" factor. It's not so great but for me good enough to keep watching to find out what happens.

Ozark? If it's the hillbilly clan show I watched it one time and that was enough. 911? I know nothing about it.
Well spectrum stuff, as in aspergers and autism is interesting to me as I work with it and have it my life on a personal level also, so that's the part that gets my attention; the rest is ridiculous.  911 is a comedy to me.  It's just fluff...I like Big Bang Theory, that's fluff too.  Ozark?  It's in the Ozarks so, yes, hillbilly clans, but it's fictional.  Kind of the money laundering end of Breaking Bad but not as well written.
The show is sappy as hell but the idea that a savant could remember every single thing he ever read is true. Just look at the real rainman. What he could do still seems unbelievable.
There there really could be something similar to the show.
(09-12-2018, 06:26 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(09-11-2018, 02:04 AM)tvguy Wrote:  I totally get what you are saying. But I have that problem with a lot of series. One week you watch and you go.. Holy crap that was a wasted hour.

Well for me the good doctor is a comedy. Ask my wife I do impressions of him all the time Razz

Well spectrum stuff, as in aspergers and autism is interesting to me as I work with it and have it my life on a personal level also, so that's the part that gets my attention; the rest is ridiculous.  911 is a comedy to me.  It's just fluff...I like Big Bang Theory, that's fluff too.  Ozark?  It's in the Ozarks so, yes, hillbilly clans, but it's fictional.  Kind of the money laundering end of Breaking Bad but not  well written.
The show is sappy as hell but the idea that a savant could remember every sinin gle thing he ever read is true. Just look at the real rainman. What he could do still seems unbelievable.
Well that's it, right there.  I don't feel the character is savant at all. I think the portrayal of the character is a pretty good representation of someone on the spectrum who is high functioning who just happens to be very brilliant.  The way the actor portrays the reactions, and responses to his world are pretty accurate.  There's lots of smart, brilliant people in the world, including doctors who aren't on the spectrum. It's not his intelligence that's in question. It's not savant. It how someone who is brilliant and on the spectrum functions in the world and the kind of challenges it represents.
A couple of years ago I went to get an eye exam.  The guy who did the exam was a young man, and he was saying all sorts of inappropriate things during my exam; like he thought he saw something that might be a tumor.  A TUMOR!!! WTH!??  Way to freak someone out! Some other things too, that just weren't good bedside manner.  The thing is, I recognized his behavior and speech as someone who was most likely on the spectrum, so I didn't let it freak me out. I just told myself to be patient and wait for the results, and sure enough it wasn't that at all. He just didn't have the right skills for delivering information. Most people wouldn't have known that. Poor guy, I'm sure it didn't go well for him with other patients if that was what he kept doing. I kind of liked him. But then, I knew what was happening.
(09-12-2018, 06:51 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(09-11-2018, 05:25 PM)Juniper Wrote: No I haven't watched either of those. I was considering the possibility of the The Sinner but have doubts.  I've watched The Good Doctor and it's very much like that, in terms of cringe worthiness but it can be good for observing spectrum characteristics as does Atypical on Netflix.  .  Or 911. I actually don't watch much television and not many series regularly.  I'd say right now for series it's BCS and trying to get myself to like Yellowstone better and kind of the same with Ozark.  But, geeeesh!!...last night I watched Yellowstone and their foreshadowing of plot points is like a brick through a window, the conflicts within the family are melodrama, the possibilities vs probabilities beggar believably.

Well spectrum stuff, as in aspergers and autism is interesting to me as I work with it and have it my life on a personal level also, so that's the part that gets my attention; the rest is ridiculous.  911 is a comedy to me.  It's just fluff...I like Big Bang Theory, that's fluff too.  Ozark?  It's in the Ozarks so, yes, hillbilly clans, but it's fictional.  Kind of the money laundering end of Breaking Bad but not  well written.
The show is sappy as hell but the idea that a savant could remember every sinin gle thing he ever read is true. Just look at the real rainman. What he could do still seems unbelievable.
Well that's it, right there.  I don't feel the character is savant at all. I think the portrayal of the character is a pretty good representation of someone on the spectrum who is high functioning who just happens to be very brilliant.  The way the actor portrays the reactions, and responses to his world are pretty accurate.  There's lots of smart, brilliant people in the world, including doctors who aren't on the spectrum. It's not his intelligence that's in question. It's not savant. It how someone who is brilliant and on the spectrum functions in the world and the kind of challenges it represents.
A couple of years ago I went to get an eye exam.  The guy who did the exam was a young man, and he was saying all sorts of inappropriate things during my exam; like he thought he saw something that might be a tumor.  A TUMOR!!! WTH!??  Way to freak someone out! Some other things too, that just weren't good bedside manner.  The thing is, I recognized his behavior and speech as someone who was most likely on the spectrum, so I didn't let it freak me out. I just told myself to be patient and wait for the results, and sure enough it wasn't that at all. He just didn't have the right skills for delivering information. Most people wouldn't have known that. Poor guy, I'm sure it didn't go well for him with other patients if that was what he kept doing. I kind of liked him. But then, I knew what was happening.

Funny I've never heard the word spectrum used this way "most likely on the spectrum" Does that mean he most likely is autistic, Aspergers ?

Anyway there is no one on the planet who could do what Rainman could do.. period. Not from simply being VERY intelligent. So if the show is trying to portray someone like rainman, a savant as far as I can tell they do an OK job

I think the portrayal of the character is a pretty good representation of someone on the spectrum who is high functioning who just happens to be very brilliant. 

I don't see that. They show him looking at photo's in his brain as if he has perfect and total recall.
IMO no normal high functioning brilliant person can do that.
And on the show Shawn has no clue what people mean when they use slang or when they are being sarcastic.. Exactly like the real rainman and nothing like a high functioning person who just happens to be very brilliant.

so is he ""on the spectrum" and yet just happens to be high functioning and very brilliant ? Or is this confusing because I don't know WTF on the spectrum means? LOL
(09-12-2018, 07:19 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(09-12-2018, 01:26 PM)tvguy Wrote:  Well for me the good doctor is a comedy. Ask my wife I do impressions of him all the time Razz

Funny I've never heard the word spectrum used this way "most likely on the spectrum" Does that mean he most likely is autistic, Aspergers ?

Anyway there is no one on the planet who could do what Rainman could do.. period. Not from simply being VERY intelligent. So if the show is trying to portray someone like rainman, a savant as far as I can tell they do an OK job

I think the portrayal of the character is a pretty good representation of someone on the spectrum who is high functioning who just happens to be very brilliant. 

I don't see that. They show him looking at photo's in his brain as if he has perfect and total recall.
And on the show Shawn has no clue what people mean when they use slang or when they are being sarcastic.. Exactly like the real rainman and nothing like a high functioning person who just happens to be very brilliant.

so is he ""on the spectrum" and yet just happens to be high functioning and very brilliant ? Or is this confusing because I don't know WTF on the spectrum means? LOL

Sorry.  I thought it was common knowledge. it just means autistic or aspergers.  And that part about not understanding social cues is the hallmark those conditions, but especially of high functioning spectrum people. The character of Rainman wasn't really capable of functioning independently in society,, thus he is 'low functioning'.  He can't function independently. He can't support himself or maintain in society.  The character of Shawn, can. He struggles but he learns. So, in Good Doctor, yes, the show shows him envisioning things photographically, but I take it as hyperbole. It's just illustrating how that kind of brain holds and interprets knowledge and information.  Rainman is a good example of low functioning on the spectrum with a true savant quality.  I think in The Good Doctor it's more like showing the function of that kind of intelligence. Kind of like in In a beautiful mind, about mathematician John Nash, (if you've seen it) Ron Howard takes the liberty of showing Nash's schizophrenic symptoms as hallucinations.  But hallucinations are not typical of schizophrenia. Audio hallucinations are. So, he chose to show the delusions as hallucinations and it worked for the viewer by creating that sense of confusion and ultimate disbelief in what was happening. Love and Mercy about Brian Wilson does a really nice and subtler job of showing how delusions and audio hallucinations effect a person.
Other hallmarks of high functioning autism or aspergers, besides non understanding social cues are discomfort with intimacy, close contact (hugging, handshakes, high fives and things like that), difficulty with eye contact, improper social interactions, such as being blunt or borderline rude (like my eye examiner), sensory sensitivity to sound or light or textures, (sensory processing), inconsistent emotional processing.
There's a film about a famous and brilliant and very autistic woman named Temple Grandin, who is a professor. She has written books about being autistic and it's affect on the person with the condition. A lot of her work is very ground breaking not only in the field of autism but in her profession in the animal livestock industry
. One of the books is called "Thinking in pictures".  There is a movie about Temple Grandin played by Clare Danes.  Temple Grandin is not savant. She has the condition of autism but is also brilliant and struggled intensely to find her place in the world and be successful with the condition and the kind of intelligence she has.
(09-12-2018, 08:10 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(09-12-2018, 07:19 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(09-12-2018, 04:55 PM)Juniper Wrote: Well spectrum stuff, as in aspergers and autism is interesting to me as I work with it and have it my life on a personal level also, so that's the part that gets my attention; the rest is ridiculous.  911 is a comedy to me.  It's just fluff...I like Big Bang Theory, that's fluff too.  Ozark?  It's in the Ozarks so, yes, hillbilly clans, but it's fictional.  Kind of the money laundering end of Breaking Bad but not  well written.

Sorry.  I thought it was common knowledge. it just means autistic or aspergers.OK :)

And that part about not understanding social cues is the hallmark those conditions, but especially of high functioning spectrum people. The character of Rainman wasn't really capable of functioning independently in society,, thus he is 'low functioning'.  He can't function independently. He can't support himself or maintain in society.  The character of Shawn, can. He struggles but he learns.

Yes I get that but for the show I think they had to make him more capable. But on the other hand he wasn't because he gets in trouble socially and at some points he does freak out in real life situations.
But no unlike the real Rainman ( not the character) who had his father with him Constantly Shawn had the doctor who was the head of the hospital.
So in a way they did indeed somewhat follow a life of a real savant.

So, in Good Doctor, yes, the show shows him envisioning things photographically, but I take it as hyperbole. It's just illustrating how that kind of brain holds and interprets knowledge and information.

I don't know about hyperbole. And I don't know if anyone really has the ability of envisioning things photographically. My point is , know what rainman was capable of in my mind it's totally possible.

Rainman is a good example of low functioning on the spectrum with a true savant quality. 
I think in The Good Doctor it's more like showing the function of that kind of intelligence. Kind of like in In a beautiful mind, about mathematician John Nash, (if you've seen it) Ron Howard takes the liberty of showing Nash's schizophrenic symptoms as hallucinations.  But hallucinations are not typical of schizophrenia. Audio hallucinations are. So, he chose to show the delusions as hallucinations and it worked for the viewer by creating that sense of confusion and ultimate disbelief in what was happening. Love and Mercy about Brian Wilson does a really nice and subtler job of showing how delusions and audio hallucinations effect a person.
Rainman could read both pages of an open book at the same time using one eye for one page and the other eye for the other page.
And if that's not mind blowing enough he remembered every single word. Blink
New season of Shameless.

(09-13-2018, 03:32 PM)Scrapper Wrote: New season of Shameless.

My wife likes it. Me , not so much. They work too hard at being shameless and nasty.
The show could be called disgusting and that would even be a better name.

But the rest is good, clever funny and I like it. I don't get why it has so be so fucking ugly.

I feel the same way about "the Deuce"
(09-13-2018, 04:18 PM)tvguy Wrote:

My wife likes it. Me , not so much. They work too hard at being shameless and nasty.

But the rest is good, clever funny and I like it. I don't get why it has so be so fucking ugly.

I agree.  Shameless is an Americanized version of the British show with the same name. It's not crass like the American version at all. In fact it's kind of corny.
Quote:.
Rainman could read both pages of an open book at the same time using one eye for one page and the other eye for the other page.

That's why it's savant.  Savant in that he could do something way outside the range of normal even for a very brilliant person, but wasn't able to function otherwise without help and accommodation.

People with autism or aspergers often have trouble with abstract ideas but are very good at concrete ones.  That's why things like slang or figures of speech confuse them sometimes. I think that's the difference between the character Shawn, or the real life Temple Grandin, is that with lots of help and mentorship, they are able to find functionality and success despite their limitations.
(09-13-2018, 05:14 PM)Juniper Wrote:

I agree.  Shameless is an Americanized version of the British show with the same name. It's not crass like the American version at all. In fact it's kind of corny.
I'd rather crass than corny.

(09-13-2018, 05:57 PM)Scrapper Wrote:

I'm not a fan of the UK version.  But the American version while funny and clever is over the top. I watched it for about 3 or 4 seasons then gave up on it.
(09-13-2018, 05:21 PM)Juniper Wrote:
Quote:.

That's why it's savant.  Savant in that he could do something way outside the range of normal even for a very brilliant person, but wasn't able to function otherwise without help and accommodation.

People with autism or aspergers often have trouble with abstract ideas but are very good at concrete ones.  That's why things like slang or figures of speech confuse them sometimes. I think that's the difference between the character Shawn, or the real life Temple Grandin, is that with lots of help and mentorship, they are able to find functionality and success despite their limitations.
Um yeah, without trying be disrespectful I totally knew all of that Smiling
(09-13-2018, 06:04 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(09-13-2018, 05:57 PM)Scrapper Wrote:

I'm not a fan of the UK version.  But the American version while funny and clever is over the top. I watched it for about 3 or 4 seasons then gave up on it.

Yes it is too often just ridiculous.

This is why I find it odd that so many people are anti reality show when most reality shows don't have actors.
As if sit coms are the REAL thing and reality shows are all fake?? Razz Razz

Same, I watched a lot of the first season, but lost interest, not my cup of tea. Too shameless  Laughing
My wife bought a thing called a Fire Stick. I've been using it for about 6 months. I'm still not 100% sure what it's capable of but I do know that it sort of combines all of the streaming services into a bundle that you can access with a very simple remote. The remote only has about 6 buttons but one of them is a voice button that works really well. The key word here is "streaming." It's all about watching what you want when you want and if you are already a subscriber to Netflix or VuDu or Hulu or whatever... you can access them through the Fire Stick. It also has free apps to History or Discover or whatever and again, if they are part of your Direct TV or whatever you can access them through this thing. I just started watching a Netflix original called The Kominsky Method and I really like it. But it's geared toward old curmudgeon types, (none of them around the RVF!), but I think it's funny and I love Nancy Travis. Anyhow... I do recomment getting a Fire Stick and there is some sort of thing called jailbreaking that I guess is a borderline way of illegally tapping into stuff that you don't pay for. I don't know or care about that... but you can do your own research on it if interested.
(11-22-2018, 04:47 PM)GCG Wrote: My wife bought a thing called a Fire Stick. I've been using it for about 6 months. I'm still not 100% sure what it's capable of but I do know that it sort of combines all of the streaming services into a bundle that you can access with a very simple remote. The remote only has about 6 buttons but one of them is a voice button that works really well. The key word here is "streaming." It's all about watching what you want when you want and if you are already a subscriber to Netflix or VuDu or Hulu or whatever... you can access them through the Fire Stick. It also has free apps to History or Discover or whatever and again, if they are part of your Direct TV or whatever you can access them through this thing. I just started watching a Netflix original called The Kominsky Method and I really like it. But it's geared toward old curmudgeon types, (none of them around the RVF!), but I think it's funny and I love Nancy Travis. Anyhow... I do recomment getting a Fire Stick and there is some sort of thing called jailbreaking that I guess is a borderline way of illegally tapping into stuff that you don't pay for. I don't know or care about that... but you can do your own research on it if interested.

We really like Kominsky Method... does that mean I'm an old curmudgeon?

(11-22-2018, 05:17 PM)Scrapper Wrote:
(11-22-2018, 04:47 PM)GCG Wrote: My wife bought a thing called a Fire Stick. I've been using it for about 6 months. I'm still not 100% sure what it's capable of but I do know that it sort of combines all of the streaming services into a bundle that you can access with a very simple remote. The remote only has about 6 buttons but one of them is a voice button that works really well. The key word here is "streaming." It's all about watching what you want when you want and if you are already a subscriber to Netflix or VuDu or Hulu or whatever... you can access them through the Fire Stick. It also has free apps to History or Discover or whatever and again, if they are part of your Direct TV or whatever you can access them through this thing. I just started watching a Netflix original called The Kominsky Method and I really like it. But it's geared toward old curmudgeon types, (none of them around the RVF!), but I think it's funny and I love Nancy Travis. Anyhow... I do recomment getting a Fire Stick and there is some sort of thing called jailbreaking that I guess is a borderline way of illegally tapping into stuff that you don't pay for. I don't know or care about that... but you can do your own research on it if interested.

We really like Kominsky Method... does that mean I'm an old curmudgeon?

No. A curmudgeon is an old cranky man. You'd be a crone, like my sister.   Razz