Among the things I don't understand...
http://medfordmailtribune.or.newsmemory....VlbWBxTXlg=

Snipped:

Crippled by heart problems and Parkinson’s disease, Joel Roberts lives out of a shopping cart along with his wife, Layne, 7-year-old son Elijah, chocolate lab, Rocky, and two cats.

Last week, they camped on the front porch of Set Free Christian Fellowship on West Main Street because they had nowhere else to go.

“It’s miserable,” 50-yearold Roberts says. “We came here because the police don’t like seeing shopping carts in the parks.”

Roberts, who lost his trucking job several years ago after suffering a heart
 attack while driving, says he can’t wait until this area can create a homeless camp with tiny houses that would provide a safe place to live for his family rather than living out of a shopping cart.

***********************************************************************

I don't understand why someone with health problems like this is not eligible for SSI disability benefits. 

My wife has a friend who is grossly overweight (a prodigious eater for many years, the woman can put away four orders of french fries and two milkshakes as a mid-day snack) she is so fat she can't walk and needs one of those motor-scooter chairs. She gets SSI disability. 

So, I wonder about stories like this. Details, I guess. I just wonder if ALL the details are given in this story. 
An apartment costs an average of 600-800 for a one bedroom, if you're lucky enough to find one. Add first, last, and deposit and you'll need roughly $2000
+ having a guaranteed income.
HUD has a several months to several years waiting list. Now tell me how SSI helps meet those requirements. We're in the middle of a.housing crisis in the RV even for able bodied working folks.

I've decided I'm being too hard on you. You really are a doddering old fool who lives in a 1972 fantasy world.
Of course, you won't bother to be proactive and get involved. That's the difference between Medford and Ashland. Caring.
(08-24-2015, 09:11 AM)bbqboy Wrote: I've decided I'm being too hard on you. You really are a doddering old fool who lives in a 1972 fantasy world.
Of course, you won't bother to be proactive and get involved. That's the difference between Medford and Ashland. Caring.

I know for a fact Wonky has and maybe still is spending a lot of time volunteering. 

And even if he was a doddering old fool you what's that to you? What the fuck has he ever done to you?

You don't amount to a pimple on his ass.I think you blame everyone else for you being such a piece of shit miserable sniveling washed out broke ass drunk.

It's true Wonky it's VERY hard to find any place to rent. As far as your question. I imagine this guy does indeed get SSI.

The article said......

Roberts says. “We’ve even been looking for housing for three months but we can’t get anything because of an eviction.” They couldn’t pay their bills when they had a trailer in Talent, he explains.

That pretty much says they do have some money.

Here is a link that actually works Smiling

http://www.mailtribune.com/article/20150...7/0/SEARCH
(08-24-2015, 10:03 AM)tvguy Wrote: It's true Wonky it's VERY hard to find any place to rent. As far as your question. I imagine this guy does indeed get SSI.

The article said......

Roberts says. “We’ve even been looking for housing for three months but we can’t get anything because of an eviction.” They couldn’t pay their bills when they had a trailer in Talent, he explains.

That pretty much says they do have some money. The guy has a criminal record, they have a dog and two cats so yeah good luck finding a rental.

Here is a link that actually works Smiling

http://www.mailtribune.com/article/20150...7/0/SEARCH
The rental market is crazy, they are as hard to come by as a politician telling the truth.
When we moved out of our old place earlier this year the landlord said he had 20 phone calls the first hour he listed it.
(08-24-2015, 08:19 AM)Wonky3 Wrote: http://medfordmailtribune.or.newsmemory....VlbWBxTXlg=

Snipped:

Crippled by heart problems and Parkinson’s disease, Joel Roberts lives out of a shopping cart along with his wife, Layne, 7-year-old son Elijah, chocolate lab, Rocky, and two cats.

Last week, they camped on the front porch of Set Free Christian Fellowship on West Main Street because they had nowhere else to go.

“It’s miserable,” 50-yearold Roberts says. “We came here because the police don’t like seeing shopping carts in the parks.”

attack while driving, says he can’t wait until this area can create a homeless camp with tiny houses that would provide a safe place to live for his family rather than living out of a shopping cart.

I don't understand why someone with health problems like this is not eligible for SSI disability benefits. 

My wife has a friend who is grossly overweight (a prodigious eater for many years, the woman can put away four orders of french fries and two milkshakes as a mid-day snack) she is so fat she can't walk and needs one of those motor-scooter chairs. She gets SSI disability. 

So, I wonder about stories like this. Details, I guess. I just wonder if ALL the details are given in this story. 

I keep re reading the original quote here to see where it says he DOESN'T receive SSI.  ? Unsure
(08-24-2015, 11:29 AM)GPnative Wrote: The rental market is crazy, they are as hard to come by as a politician telling the truth.
When we moved out of our old place earlier this year the landlord said he had 20 phone calls the first hour he listed it.

I read or heard recently that housing in the RV currently is harder to find than an apartment in Manhatten.
(08-24-2015, 12:56 PM)Tiamat Wrote:
(08-24-2015, 11:29 AM)GPnative Wrote: The rental market is crazy, they are as hard to come by as a politician telling the truth.

I read or heard recently that housing in the RV currently is harder to find than an apartment in Manhatten.

Now I'm seeing the light. If in fact this family is getting assistance, from what I learn above there is no way they can find affordable housing in this area. That's a damn shame! I've been out of touch with this part of life for a LONG time and am lucky enough to have a modest house mortgage free. But, during my working days when renting (In San Francisco, yet) rent was reasonable. Our standard was that working folks should spend one weeks pay for rent and in the years I lived here that was not a problem. Not anymore! 

World gone crazy. 

PS" TVg, I agree about the dog. Feeding a large dog is not cheap and I hope they have some resource to help feed the animal. Cat too. If they must buy food for the animals I feel it's not responsible to keep them. Hard, but they have a hard life. 
My first 6 weeks in Oregon were spent in a tent. Four weeks at Emigrant Lake and 2 weeks at Flumet Flat. There were no cell phones and a few pay phones. Everyday my wife and I headed for the first sidewalk news stand to receive the Medford Mail Tribune. My late wife would immediately turn to the classified/rental/section, as I drove to the nearest pay phone in hopes as I was headed there to make the call, Vicki would be ready to call out a number of a place which fit our needs, and be the first ones to make the phone call to the landlord.

Our tactic was successful as we were able to secure a rental in Eagle Point and move from Emigrant camp ground to the apple gate camp ground.

I am thankful I went through the experience in a 1964 Chevy panel truck, not a shopping cart.

One thing always leads to another and in my case I was blessed to be able to own the second place I've been in since 1977. I bought 10 acres on a year round creek with a 1973 mobile home for a grand total of $7,300.00
(08-24-2015, 02:03 PM)tornado Wrote: My first 6 weeks in Oregon were spent in a tent. Four weeks at Emigrant Lake and 2 weeks at Flumet Flat. There were no cell phones and a few pay phones. Everyday my wife and I headed for the first sidewalk news stand to receive the Medford Mail Tribune. My late wife would immediately turn to the classified/rental/section, as I drove to the nearest pay phone in hopes as I was headed there to make the call, Vicki would be ready to call out a number of a place which fit our needs, and be the first ones to make the phone call to the landlord.

Our tactic was successful as we were able to secure a rental in Eagle Point and move from Emigrant camp ground to the apple gate camp ground.

I am thankful I went through the experience in a 1964 Chevy panel truck, not a shopping cart.

One thing always leads to another and in my case I was blessed to be able to own the second place I've been in since 1977. I bought 10 acres on a year round creek with a 1973 mobile home for a grand total of $7,300.00

That's awesome. Smiling
(08-24-2015, 08:19 AM)Wonky3 Wrote: http://medfordmailtribune.or.newsmemory....VlbWBxTXlg=

Snipped:

I keep re reading the original quote here to see where it says he DOESN'T receive SSI.  ? Unsure

Maybe by now you know. I think Wonky assumed that if he did get SSI he would not be homeless.
(08-24-2015, 02:03 PM)tornado Wrote: My first 6 weeks in Oregon were spent in a tent. Four weeks at Emigrant Lake and 2 weeks at Flumet Flat. There were no cell phones and a few pay phones. Everyday my wife and I headed for the first sidewalk news stand to receive the Medford Mail Tribune. My late wife would immediately turn to the classified/rental/section, as I drove to the nearest pay phone in hopes as I was headed there to make the call, Vicki would be ready to call out a number of a place which fit our needs, and be the first ones to make the phone call to the landlord.

Blast from the past. Flumet Flat was a great CG. Lots of good family memories there, bummed me out when they shut it down, still does.
(08-24-2015, 02:22 PM)tvguy Wrote:

Snipped:

Maybe by now you know. I think Wonky assumed that if he did get SSI he would not be homeless.

Yes, yes. My post was more of a prompt to get Wonky to say why he felt the person didn't get SSI.  There ARE resources out there that can help them with some things, like food, medical care and stuff. But housing is tough. Like Tornado, I did the campground thing too. I had two small children. I didn't get out of that without help.  But if you don't have a vehicle, getting to the campgrounds can be impossible, let alone storing gear.  But with a child he should be eligible for more than SSI.  I didn't read the article, only the quote, but I'm sure the police have at least given him information for what agencies to go to if he hasn't already.  My guess is that he can't find somewhere that will take him with the animals.
(08-24-2015, 06:59 PM)Tiamat Wrote:

Snipped:

Yes, yes. My post was more of a prompt to get Wonky to say why he felt the person didn't get SSI.  There ARE resources out there that can help them with some things, like food, medical care and stuff. But housing is tough. Like Tornado, I did the campground thing too. I had two small children. I didn't get out of that without help.  But if you don't have a vehicle, getting to the campgrounds can be impossible, let alone storing gear.  But with a child he should be eligible for more than SSI.  I didn't read the article, only the quote, but I'm sure the police have at least given him information for what agencies to go to if he hasn't already.  My guess is that he can't find somewhere that will take him with the animals.

Yes, you "prompted". Not interested in that quarrel. 

If I were homeless I'd think it only a kindness to find a home for the dog where it could be feed a proper diet each and every day. 
(08-24-2015, 07:50 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:

Snipped:

If I were homeless I'd think it only a kindness to find a home for the dog where it could be feed a proper diet each and every day. 

I would claim on the mooch card application that my dog and cats were my kids. Razz Actually don't be so sure the animals aren't getting fed well.
The thing I don't understand is why many of you are obsessed with poor people and why you want them to suffer a bit more. Fuck the cheaters they are not the issue except with those of you that continually obsessed with who might be lazy. 
(08-24-2015, 07:50 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:

Snipped:

Quarrel?  Defensive much? It was conversation. Why did you think he DOESN'T have SSI.  Last I checked, that was just a question. There was no judgement.  
(08-24-2015, 09:00 PM)cletus1 Wrote: The thing I don't understand is why many of you are obsessed with poor people and why you want them to suffer a bit more. Fuck the cheaters they are not the issue except with those of you that continually obsessed with who might be lazy. 

Many of you who?