A Special Place in Hell.
I don't believe in heaven and hell in the "biblical" sense but I hope this man and women suffer boils, their crops fail, and their goats become barren. 

From todays (Friday 8/28) Mail Tribune: 

WARNING: This story might ruin your day and is not required reading. It's only value is that we must be every alert to those around us and intervene when necessary. 

Boy was beaten by father, stepmother 

By Vickie Aldous and Kaylee Tornay

Mail Tribune

A Gold Hill couple on trial for the abuse of an 11-yearold boy were found guilty Thursday of assault and criminal mistreatment.

Angela Marie Mill ard, 35, remained silent while Jackson County Circuit Judge David Hoppe found her guilty on three counts of seconddegree assault for abuse that included holding her stepson's hands under scalding water and hitting him with a hairbrush so hard she broke his teeth.

Lawrence James Millard, 38, was found guilty of second-degree assault for beating his son with a wooden table leg. As the verdict against him was read in court, he was silent and kept his head bowed. Later, he started crying.

Their sentencing is scheduled for 1 p.m. Tuesday.

Prosecutors said Angela Millard hit the boy in the face multiple times with a hairbrush, knocking out three of his teeth and leaving a scar near his eye. They said she also held his hands under scalding hot water around Thanksgiving in 2014, causing second- and third-degree burns.

Neither Angela nor Lawrence Millard sought medical treatment for the boy's burns, which became infected and caused permanent scarring and restriction of his hand movements, prosecutors said.

Fearing the abuse would be discovered, the couple didn’t let the boy return to his elementary school after the Thanksgiving holiday break, prosecutors said.

He didn’t receive medical care until late January, when a relative took him to see a nurse practitioner in Washington state.

Seeing the swollen, reddish- purple burns — which still appeared fresh two months after the scalding — and observing signs of other injuries, the nurse practitioner called 911, according to testimony during the trial, which began on Tuesday and wrapped up late Wednesday.

Angela and Lawrence Millard did not testify during the
 trial. 

Angela Millard remained impassive during much of the trial, although she occasionally dabbed tears. Lawrence Millard, who appeared gaunt with dark circles around his eyes, spent much of the trial with his head in his hands. 

On Wednesday afternoon, the boy took the witness stand and responded to questions from prosecutors, defense attorneys and the judge. 

Holding a stuffed animal puppy, he smiled on the witness stand and complimented a defense attorney on his tie. He said he had turned 12 in July. 

But his grin disappeared and he grew so quiet while answering questions about the abuse that a court microphone had to be lowered closer to his mouth. 

He said his stepmother burned his hands with hot water because he argued with her and said he didn’t want to be tied up. He said she also hit him in the teeth and head with a hairbrush and, along with his father, tied him up with a blue rope. 

The blue rope and one of the boy’s broken teeth were found during a search of the apartment by detectives executing a search warrant. A dentist later reattached the tooth to a root still in the boy’s mouth. 

The boy said both his parents tied him up. He said his father beat him with sticks, what appeared to be a table leg, textbooks and a belt. 

He said one beating with a table leg or pole occurred after he was able to partially get out of the rope to sneak food and play games on his dad’s computer. 

Don Larson, Angela Mil-lard’s court-appointed defense attorney, argued she should not have faced a seconddegree assault charge over the hairbrush incident because a hairbrush is not a “dangerous weapon,” as it was labeled in an indictment. He also said one charge in the indictment said the boy had been hit in the eye with the hairbrush, but a scar shows he was hit on the face near his eye. 

Michael Kellington, Lawrence Millard’s courtappointed defense attorney, said the boy sometimes called the wooden table leg a pole and sometimes said it was a stick when talking to different investigators. An indictment listed the weapon used by Lawrence Millard against the boy specifically as a wooden table leg. 

A table leg was never found during the apartment search, Kellington said. 

Injuries the boy reportedly sustained to his leg from that beating could have occurred on a playground, Kellington suggested. 

Nevertheless, Hoppe said Thursday morning that he “found the victim’s testimony entirely credible” in describing the manner in which he received his injuries. 

The child and his two younger siblings were placed in the care of a therapeutic foster care mother, who testified that the boy experiences continuing effects from the trauma he endured. At the beginning of his stay, she said, she couldn’t even raise her voice to call him for dinner. 

“He would clutch his face and go into a fetal position,” she said. “He’s got terrible scars, but he’s doing better — inside and out.” 

Prosecutor Virginia Greer called the boy “exceptionally brave” for testifying in court. 

“He experienced horrific abuse, and he has been very brave through all the court proceedings,” she said. 

Hoppe postponed sentencing until Tuesday so the prosecution can prepare more witnesses. —Reach Vickie Aldous at valdous@mailtribune.com; reach reporting intern Kaylee Tornay at ktornay@mailtribune.com. 
It's a very egregious case of abuse.  And that child will probably never really heal. I hope he does though.
I get exposed to lots of child abuse and stories and reports of abuse.  This quote: Don Larson, Angela Mil-lard’s court-appointed defense attorney, argued she should not have faced a seconddegree assault charge over the hairbrush incident because a hairbrush is not a “dangerous weapon,” as it was labeled in an indictment. He also said one charge in the indictment said the boy had been hit in the eye with the hairbrush, but a scar shows he was hit on the face near his eye.  was interesting to me. I was exposed to a case once where a child's teeth were broken out of his face from being hit with a hairbrush.
(08-28-2015, 08:47 AM)Tiamat Wrote: I get exposed to lots of child abuse and stories and reports of abuse.  This quote: Don Larson, Angela Mil-lard’s court-appointed defense attorney, argued she should not have faced a seconddegree assault charge over the hairbrush incident because a hairbrush is not a “dangerous weapon,” as it was labeled in an indictment. He also said one charge in the indictment said the boy had been hit in the eye with the hairbrush, but a scar shows he was hit on the face near his eye.  was interesting to me. I was exposed to a case once where a child's teeth were broken out of his face from being hit with a hairbrush.

Yes! I'd like to knock a few teeth out of the head of that lawyer who proved his stupidly and insensitivity with that remark! 
(08-28-2015, 11:36 AM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(08-28-2015, 08:47 AM)Tiamat Wrote: I get exposed to lots of child abuse and stories and reports of abuse.  This quote: Don Larson, Angela Mil-lard’s court-appointed defense attorney, argued she should not have faced a seconddegree assault charge over the hairbrush incident because a hairbrush is not a “dangerous weapon,” as it was labeled in an indictment. He also said one charge in the indictment said the boy had been hit in the eye with the hairbrush, but a scar shows he was hit on the face near his eye.  was interesting to me. I was exposed to a case once where a child's teeth were broken out of his face from being hit with a hairbrush.

Yes! I'd like to knock a few teeth out of the head of that lawyer who proved his stupidly and insensitivity with that remark! 
The lawyer is probably court appointed and may believe  his clients guilty for all we know.
(08-28-2015, 11:38 AM)Tiamat Wrote:

The lawyer is probably court appointed and may believe  his clients guilty for all we know.
Laughing Didn't think of that, but your'e right. EVERYONE is entitled to legal defense. Like you say, doesn't meant the lawyer has to really BELIEVE it. (And he/she most likely knows the judge and jury won't believe it either. Still, everyone gets their day in court. Even these creeps.) 
They are horrible.  That's not abuse. It's torture.  They tortured that child.
I do believe in heaven and hell in the literal sense. I hope the punishment meted out serves to put these people on the right path and they confess their sins, and accept Jesus Christ's salvation. Only those who don't will have a special place in hell. God forgives, yet He leaves it to a civil society to punish the evil doers.

I hope the young boy prospers in spite of this tragedy.
(08-28-2015, 01:19 PM)Tiamat Wrote: They are horrible.  That's not abuse. It's torture.  They tortured that child.

Absolutely! If there's a god in heaven, that kid will be taken in by some loving couple and allowed to heal in all the ways he must renew himself. I hope he recovers and discovers the cure for cancer and becomes loved by a billion people. 
(08-28-2015, 03:36 PM)tornado Wrote: I do believe in heaven and hell in the literal sense. I hope the punishment meted out serves to put these people on the right path and they confess their sins, and accept Jesus Christ's salvation. Only those who don't will have a special place in hell. God forgives, yet He leaves it to a civil society to punish the evil doers.

The boy was already in a special place in hell. Where was your God then?
(08-28-2015, 04:02 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(08-28-2015, 03:36 PM)tornado Wrote: I do believe in heaven and hell in the literal sense. I hope the punishment meted out serves to put these people on the right path and they confess their sins, and accept Jesus Christ's salvation. Only those who don't will have a special place in hell. God forgives, yet He leaves it to a civil society to punish the evil doers.

Good point! But don't expect and answer to this. There isn't one. 

The lawyer is only doing his job. Ease up . . . .
(08-29-2015, 03:07 PM)Carl_Kolchak Wrote:

Perhaps he is only doing his job...poorly. It has already been alleged (and perhaps proven) that the kid's teeth were knocked out by a hairbrush. To now say (without snickering) that a hairbrush is not a dangerous weapon is beyond stupid. In this case it was. And IT'S ABOUT THIS CASE. 
I usually try to give you some slack, but in this case you are a fucking idiot.
He's a court appointed attorney. That means a judge appointed him. What is so hard to understand? He can't refuse to
represent. God damn you are stupid sometimes. Perhaps you should go to college.
(08-29-2015, 06:40 PM)bbqboy Wrote: I usually try to give you some slack, but in this case you are a fucking idiot.
He's a court appointed attorney. That means a judge appointed him. What is so hard to understand? He can't refuse to
represent. God damn you are stupid sometimes. Perhaps you should go to college.

Riddle: Can a reply ever be considered a non reply? 

Amazing isn't it? Do people think the criminal defense attorney should be helping the prosecutor in the name of justice? It's like they don't even understand our legal system.
(08-29-2015, 06:23 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:

Perhaps he is only doing his job...poorly. It has already been alleged (and perhaps proven) that the kid's teeth were knocked out by a hairbrush. To now say (without snickering) that a hairbrush is not a dangerous weapon is beyond stupid. In this case it was. And IT'S ABOUT THIS CASE. 

The accused have the right to an attorney. Nobody said it had to be a GOOD attorney.

If you want a God who controls you like a puppet on a string, go for it. I prefer having free will. The will to choose good over evil.
(08-30-2015, 08:38 AM)tornado Wrote:

If you want a God who controls you like a puppet on a string, go for it. I prefer having free will. The will to choose good over evil.

I'm sorry, but that's pretty weak. No one said anything about freechoice here.Or how this boy made one. One was made for him. No one said they wanted a God who controls you, or said they wanted a God at all. Your God says His eye is on the sparrow. Oh really?  In that case,  your God is either a Sadist in this case, or doesn't give a damn, or was lying about that Sparrow thing. Why does the boy have to wait for the afterlife of his torturers when your God will assign them to Heaven or Hell? And  how the hell does that help him now? Is that the function of your God?  We'll meet  you in the afterlife.  If you are going to bring God into this, (and you have) and defend Him in these Circumstances, (you have) I think  you are going to need to witness a little more effectively to the rest of us.
(08-30-2015, 08:38 AM)tornado Wrote:

That's funny because most of the Jesus freaks I know pray for EVERYTHING , In other words they ACT like some puppy who has to beg for seemingly everything from their master.

If ANYONE is a puppet it's the religious.