Does EVERYONE need to go to college?
I'm on Tapatalk and not having any issue.
(08-30-2015, 02:01 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(08-30-2015, 12:11 PM)Tiamat Wrote:
(08-30-2015, 11:31 AM)tvguy Wrote:
(08-29-2015, 09:11 PM)Tiamat Wrote:
(08-29-2015, 06:16 PM)Wonky3 Wrote: Tia, was going let this one pass but you kept returning to it. This was not a story about the police and fire departments except in the most oblique way. It was about the difficulty in building the new facilities in which they will be housed. Specially, the difficulty in finding subcontractors (who have problems finding workers) who can complete the work. 

And so, we were exchanging thoughts about the need for folks who work with their hands and may not need advanced education. You steered this to an entirely different conversation, that while worthwhile and interesting was off subject and yet you insisted that I was not clear. 

Well, that's cool. dont get all hot under the collar. You consistently say I'm unclear.  But it doesn't seem to deter me. The same thing happened in the hashtag thread. Two different thought lines going on.

I didn't see any indication he was "hot under the collar". He expressed my sentiment EXACTLY because you seemed stuck on OTHER kinds of blue collar jobs no matter what when it was ALL about a skilled labor shortage.

I see you two were on the same topic. You are right, I was stuck on another aspect.   But, yeah, there's a tad bit of snippiness in that post as well.  Whatever. I think this thread is played out anyway.

OK Laughing  How about this.. Whomever designed this slow ass forum or whomever it is who can't fix it for good... needs to or should have gone to college Laughing Laughing

It is very slow for me today. Unusually slow.
(08-29-2015, 06:16 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(08-29-2015, 04:53 PM)Tiamat Wrote: So, despite the article leading with LE and Fire fighters, that's not what he's talking about.  Well, He doesn't get points for clarity.

Tia, was going let this one pass but you kept returning to it. This was not a story about the police and fire departments except in the most oblique way. It was about the difficulty in building the new facilities in which they will be housed. Specially, the difficulty in finding subcontractors (who have problems finding workers) who can complete the work. 

And so, we were exchanging thoughts about the need for folks who work with their hands and may not need advanced education. You steered this to an entirely different conversation, that while worthwhile and interesting was off subject and yet you insisted that I was not clear. 

Well, that's cool. dont get all hot under the collar. You consistently say I'm unclear.  But it doesn't seem to deter me. The same thing happened in the hashtag thread. Two different thought lines going on.

I didn't see any indication he was "hot under the collar". He expressed my sentiment EXACTLY because you seemed stuck on OTHER kinds of blue collar jobs no matter what when it was ALL about a skilled labor shortage.

I see you two were on the same topic. You are right, I was stuck on another aspect.   But, yeah, there's a tad bit of snippiness in that post as well.  Whatever. I think this thread is played out anyway.

Tia, if I came off as "snippy" I'm truly sorry. It's not all that easy to find the right words that express exactly what one is trying to say without the benefit of tone of voice, facial express, body language and the like. 
But we did have a fundamental difference of opinion about he context of the piece and I felt your posts (while important) were verging off topic and becoming distracting. 

TVg  (and others) give me hell for trying to be a "hall monitor". In fact, this is an example of why I so often catch flack for bringing up how we interact on this site. I started a Topic (from the local news) that I thought had merit because it reaches right down to where a lot of us live: Jobs, work, what our young people can do to provide a "living wage" if they were aware of the possibilities of something other than continuing formal education, if that's not their choice. 
For personal reasons, I feel strongly about this and hoped it would solicit conversation and provide something for us to think about that we might actually have a voice in. (As compared to so many other remote subjects we debate here).

But I regret that it caused conflict between us and hope we (all) can learn to avoid that. Tough, because as mentioned above, stark words alone make clear and complete communication hard. And I admit, passions often override good judgement. I pleas guilty at times. 

We are all a work in progress. That we might want to look more carefully at our conduct here does not seem to me to be an attempt (by me, or others) to try to control or "hall monitor" the Forum. Only to improve how we manage our Topics. 

The value of this site is that we might exchange views in ways that promote dialog, rather than simply "point-counter point" that so often leads to hostility and worse. But to enjoy this "value" it seems we must be able to say on point to some degree until the main point of the Topic is hashed out. 

So Tia, I hope you might consider a Topic to explore the points you made here. They were interesting  and a lot of what you talked about was "news to me". I'd be interested in knowing more about all the hurdles and boulders "they" put in the way of working people (and as you say, even middle managers) in the name of good administration. Sounds like unnecessary BS to me...hope to learn more about it. 
(08-29-2015, 06:16 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(08-29-2015, 04:53 PM)Tiamat Wrote: So, despite the article leading with LE and Fire fighters, that's not what he's talking about.  Well, He doesn't get points for clarity.

Tia, was going let this one pass but you kept returning to it. This was not a story about the police and fire departments except in the most oblique way. It was about the difficulty in building the new facilities in which they will be housed. Specially, the difficulty in finding subcontractors (who have problems finding workers) who can complete the work. 

Tia, if I came off as "snippy" I'm truly sorry. It's not all that easy to find the right words that express exactly what one is trying to say without the benefit of tone of voice, facial express, body language and the like. 
But we did have a fundamental difference of opinion about he context of the piece and I felt your posts (while important) were verging off topic and becoming distracting. 

TVg  (and others) give me hell for trying to be a "hall monitor". In fact, this is an example of why I so often catch flack for bringing up how we interact on this site. I started a Topic (from the local news) that I thought had merit because it reaches right down to where a lot of us live: Jobs, work, what our young people can do to provide a "living wage" if they were aware of the possibilities of something other than continuing formal education, if that's not their choice. 
For personal reasons, I feel strongly about this and hoped it would solicit conversation and provide something for us to think about that we might actually have a voice in. (As compared to so many other remote subjects we debate here).

But I regret that it caused conflict between us and hope we (all) can learn to avoid that. Tough, because as mentioned above, stark words alone make clear and complete communication hard. And I admit, passions often override good judgement. I pleas guilty at times. 

We are all a work in progress. That we might want to look more carefully at our conduct here does not seem to me to be an attempt (by me, or others) to try to control or "hall monitor" the Forum. Only to improve how we manage our Topics. 

The value of this site is that we might exchange views in ways that promote dialog, rather than simply "point-counter point" that so often leads to hostility and worse. But to enjoy this "value" it seems we must be able to say on point to some degree until the main point of the Topic is hashed out. 

So Tia, I hope you might consider a Topic to explore the points you made here. They were interesting  and a lot of what you talked about was "news to me". I'd be interested in knowing more about all the hurdles and boulders "they" put in the way of working people (and as you say, even middle managers) in the name of good administration. Sounds like unnecessary BS to me...hope to learn more about it. 
(08-30-2015, 09:56 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(08-29-2015, 06:16 PM)Wonky3 Wrote: Tia, was going let this one pass but you kept returning to it. This was not a story about the police and fire departments except in the most oblique way. It was about the difficulty in building the new facilities in which they will be housed. Specially, the difficulty in finding subcontractors (who have problems finding workers) who can complete the work. 

"That we might want to look more carefully at our conduct here does not seem to me to be an attempt (by me, or others) to try to control or "hall monitor" the Forum. Only to improve how we manage our Topics. "

But you are the only one stuck on trying or wanting to look more carefully at our conduct or [b]improve how we manage our Topics. [/b]Why YOU?
It sure as hell does seem to me that YOU WANT TO CONTROL
(08-30-2015, 11:19 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(08-29-2015, 09:11 PM)Tiamat Wrote: Well, that's cool. dont get all hot under the collar. You consistently say I'm unclear.  But it doesn't seem to deter me. The same thing happened in the hashtag thread. Two different thought lines going on.

"That we might want to look more carefully at our conduct here does not seem to me to be an attempt (by me, or others) to try to control or "hall monitor" the Forum. Only to improve how we manage our Topics. "

But you are the only one stuck on trying or wanting to look more carefully at our conduct or [b]improve how we manage our Topics. [/b]Why YOU?

Proving once again that while your intention may be good, your attention may not be so great. 

It has nothing to do with ME. It has EVERYthing to do with how WE manage our Topics and stay somewhere near the subject that the title of the topic suggests. 

WE (including you) had a chance to pretty well complete the conversation of this Topic, but it was in danger of going off into other directions before it got a fair airing. (At one point here you were sympathetic to that view) 

And THAT was (and is) my only point. It has never been about ME or my "agenda". It's always been about our conduct and how difficult it is to maintain focus until the subject has had a fair amount of discussion. 

Recently, we (some at least) have voiced concerns or questions as to why so few new members who cruise by fail to join in here. There may be many reasons, but I'll always be suspicious that our conduct and lack of discipline in maintaining concentration is one. 

Now, I brace for the all the flack that I expect from this. I'm thankful I have had a chance to express it, and for that I thank KAM and the free space given to me. Free speech is a blessing. 
(08-31-2015, 07:04 AM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(08-30-2015, 11:19 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(08-30-2015, 11:31 AM)tvguy Wrote: I didn't see any indication he was "hot under the collar". He expressed my sentiment EXACTLY because you seemed stuck on OTHER kinds of blue collar jobs no matter what when it was ALL about a skilled labor shortage.

Proving once again that while your intention may be good, your attention may not be so great. 

It has nothing to do with ME. It has EVERYthing to do with how WE manage our Topics and stay somewhere near the subject that the title of the topic suggests. 

WE (including you) had a chance to pretty well complete the conversation of this Topic, but it was in danger of going off into other directions before it got a fair airing. (At one point here you were sympathetic to that view) 

And THAT was (and is) my only point. It has never been about ME or my "agenda". It's always been about our conduct and how difficult it is to maintain focus until the subject has had a fair amount of discussion. 

Recently, we (some at least) have voiced concerns or questions as to why so few new members who cruise by fail to join in here. There may be many reasons, but I'll always be suspicious that our conduct and lack of discipline in maintaining concentration is one. 

Now, I brace for the all the flack that I expect from this. I'm thankful I have had a chance to express it, and for that I thank KAM and the free space given to me. Free speech is a blessing. 
Jebus...no conflict! Let's move on! Smiling
Wonky....It has nothing to do with ME. It has EVERYthing to do with how WE manage our Topics and stay somewhere near the subject that the title of the topic suggests. 

It has everything to do with YOU. YOU are the ONLY one here who has been trying to control what goes on here.
You have been mocked for it without mercy but you continue on.

The hell it isn't about YOUR agenda. It's always about YOUR problem with YOU worrying about and trying to CONTROL topics and conversations?

If it's not about YOU then why do you suppose you have had to put up with the hall monitor and nanny comments for so long??? I remember back when I backed you and sort of took offense when people started calling you those names.
But after awhile I too realized that you were a total control freak.. And it's REALLY annoying.

Now, I brace for the all the flack that I expect from this.

For the one millionth time , but it aint on you right? Rolling Eyes

Ugh.
How about if we assign someone the job of editing the title of the thread whenever we drift off topic, and you know we will. Then we'll always be on topic and Wonky will sleep better at night.

Just sayin'.
Better to have gone to college and dropped out than to never have gone at all. College motivated me to go surfing, and I'm not talking about the WWW.

Nothing like dropping into the face of the wave at Doheney beach in 1961. Glad I dropped out and dropped in. The only thing I miss about living there is surfing and and avocado tree in the back yard.

In all seriousness, my congratulations to anyone tough enough to stick it out for years on end in order to achieve their dream. The hardest thing for me in college was not falling asleep in mandatory classes.

Not everyone learns best in a class room setting. I earned my landscape design degree in 1983 through Lifetime Career Schools for a cost of around $200.00. At the same time I was already self-employed in the industry. Nothing beats earning while learning more about something you love.
(08-31-2015, 07:35 PM)tornado Wrote: Better to have gone to college and dropped out than to never have gone at all. College motivated me to go surfing, and I'm not talking about the WWW.

Nothing like dropping into the face of the wave at Doheney beach in 1961. Glad I dropped out and dropped in. The only thing I miss about living there is surfing and and avocado tree in the back yard.

In all seriousness, my congratulations to anyone tough enough to stick it out for years on end in order to achieve their dream.  The hardest thing for me in college was not falling asleep in mandatory classes.

Not everyone learns best in a class room setting. I earned my landscape design degree in 1983 through Lifetime Career Schools for a cost of around $200.00. At the same time I was already self-employed in the industry. Nothing beats earning while learning more about something you love.

I think going to college is great. I'm not sure I agree that it's better to have gone than never have gone at all. If it isn't a "fit" for your life, I'm not sure why it matters.
(08-31-2015, 08:32 PM)Tiamat Wrote:
(08-31-2015, 07:35 PM)tornado Wrote: Better to have gone to college and dropped out than to never have gone at all. College motivated me to go surfing, and I'm not talking about the WWW.

In all seriousness, my congratulations to anyone tough enough to stick it out for years on end in order to achieve their dream.  The hardest thing for me in college was not falling asleep in mandatory classes.

I think going to college is great. I'm not sure I agree that it's better to have gone than never have gone at all. If it isn't a "fit" for your life, I'm not sure why it matters.

I went to college at 17 years old right out of High School... made it a little over a year.  I went back in my early 30's for a degree and it was a breeze.  At 17 I was not ready for the responsibility.  Some people are focused and motivated that young, but I think MOST are not.  I think Tornado's story here is a good example of finding a way to live life and do what he liked to do.  Nothing wrong with that.

PS...  I know that you (Tia) did not express that there was anything wrong with it.  I was just expressing a thought.
(08-31-2015, 08:39 PM)Hugo Wrote:

I went to college at 17 years old right out of High School... made it a little over a year.  I went back in my early 30's for a degree and it was a breeze.  At 17 I was not ready for the responsibility.  Some people are focused and motivated that young, but I think MOST are not.  I think Tornado's story here is a good example of finding a way to live life and do what he liked to do.  Nothing wrong with that.

PS...  I know that you (Tia) did not express that there was anything wrong with it.  I was just expressing a thought.

I can relate to that. My parents were in no position to send all my siblings to college. After high school I was not interested in any more classrooms. Nope. So, I took a working break, for about seven years. By then I'd saved enough to put myself through college without any loans. By then too, I was ready to go back to the classroom with a clearer understanding of why I was there and what I was trying to achieve. It worked for me and I actually enjoyed most of my classes then.

You know, even at the time I was in school, it was plainly apparent who was there straight out of high school and who was not. Two completely different viewpoints going on.
(08-31-2015, 09:09 PM)Cuzz Wrote:

I can relate to that. My parents were in no position to send all my siblings to college. After high school I was not interested in any more classrooms. Nope. So, I took a working break, for about seven years. By then I'd saved enough to put myself through college without any loans. By then too, I was ready to go back to the classroom with a clearer understanding of why I was there and what I was trying to achieve. It worked for me and I actually enjoyed most of my classes then.

You know, even at the time I was in school, it was plainly apparent who was there straight out of high school and who was not. Two completely different viewpoints going on.

I love school, to a certain point.  Sometimes I see the funding conundrum come up and it frustrates me. Certain things become required that seem to serve no purpose. When I examine them it always seems to have something to do with money. But I love learning.
(08-31-2015, 09:11 PM)Tiamat Wrote:
(08-31-2015, 09:09 PM)Cuzz Wrote:

I love school, to a certain point.  Sometimes I see the funding conundrum come up and it frustrates me. Certain things become required that seem to serve no purpose. When I examine them it always seems to have something to do with money. But I love learning.

Yeah, when I went to school there were some required classes that I couldn't understand at the time why I would need them. With hindsight though I still can't figure out why I needed some of them.  Smiling Laughing 'Course now I don't mind so much anymore.