Median What? (Re: Housing)
Meaning what?

From todays (9/9) Mail Tribune:

[b]Poor spend half of income on housing[/b] 

Study says minorities disproportionately affected

By Kaylee Tornay

Mail Tribune

Low-income families in Medford are being crippled by the cost of housing, with three out of four low-income renters and owners spending 50 percent or more of their monthly income on payments, a citywide analysis revealed earlier this year.

Various city departments are planning responses to deal with issues highlighted in the Analysis of Impediments to Fair Housing Choice, a report commissioned by the city every five years. The analysis identifies populations facing the
 worst barriers and suggests mitigating actions.

This year’s report revealed that economic disadvantages and lack of education on housing rights are the biggest impediments to families, and minorities are disproportionately being affected.

While median income for whites in Medford was $42,856, for Hispanics it was $30,775 and for African-Americans it was $29,419.

Fewer Hispanics and African- Americans in Medford are able to own homes, and if they can, they have a greater chance
 ..."

And I wonder about this:  "median income". 

There are a lot of wealthy folks who have moved into our valley in the last (?) years. And there are a lot of folks who have jobs but have seen no real increase in wages in the last (?) years. To quote a "median income" seems to miss the point in my opinion. It might be more accurate for the purpose of this subject of affordable housing to toss out the income of those on welfare and those who are the privileged, and find a more common standard for "fair housing costs". 
median income is what you get for read tarot cards, gazing into a crystal ball, or talking to a dead dude.
(09-09-2015, 12:59 PM)chuck white Wrote: median income is what you get for read tarot cards,  gazing into a crystal ball, or talking to a dead dude.

Ridiculous. Median has value in many applications and is used widely by those who need to demonstrate values needed to express things in ways that are relative. 

"denoting or relating to a value or quantity lying at the midpoint of afrequency distribution of observed values or quantities, such that there is an equal probability of falling above or below it: the median duration of thistreatment was four months"

But the suggestion that median income was important in understanding why some people can't afford housing is just plain wrong. The more important factor to express the point of the piece would have been to list the income range of people who need housing and can't afford it, and not include the very poor and the wealthy. 

Because the real issue is that working people in this valley, from the basic wage earner to the mid level manger types don't make enough to afford the kind of housing suitable to their needs. 
(09-09-2015, 01:46 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(09-09-2015, 12:59 PM)chuck white Wrote: median income is what you get for read tarot cards,  gazing into a crystal ball, or talking to a dead dude.

Ridiculous. Median has value in many applications and is used widely by those who need to demonstrate values needed to express things in ways that are relative. 

"denoting or relating to a value or quantity lying at the midpoint of afrequency distribution of observed values or quantities, such that there is an equal probability of falling above or below it: the median duration of thistreatment was four months"

But the suggestion that median income was important in understanding why some people can't afford housing is just plain wrong. The more important factor to express the point of the piece would have been to list the income range of people who need housing and can't afford it, and not include the very poor and the wealthy. 

Because the real issue is that working people in this valley, from the basic wage earner to the mid level manger types don't make enough to afford the kind of housing suitable to their needs. 

This is what CW meant Wonky.... [Image: TheFortuneTeller.gif]
(09-09-2015, 02:28 PM)tvguy Wrote:

LOL

[Image: 900x900px-LL-658002b7_joke_over_your_head.jpeg]
(09-09-2015, 02:46 PM)GPnative Wrote:

LOL

I guess it's no joke if the rent is half of a working persons pay, as reported by the MT. 
(09-10-2015, 02:18 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:

LOL

I guess it's no joke if the rent is half of a working persons pay, as reported by the MT. 

Rolling Eyes  No one joked about that Wonky, sheesh
(09-10-2015, 02:23 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(09-09-2015, 01:46 PM)Wonky3 Wrote: Ridiculous. Median has value in many applications and is used widely by those who need to demonstrate values needed to express things in ways that are relative. 

LOL

Okay. Give me a break for cryin' out loud. They lost count of how many times I was hit on the they head. 

So NOW I see it's a joke going over someone's head.  Embarrassed
(09-10-2015, 04:29 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(09-09-2015, 02:28 PM)tvguy Wrote: This is what CW meant Wonky.... [Image: TheFortuneTeller.gif]

LOL

Okay. Give me a break for cryin' out loud. They lost count of how many times I was hit on the they head. 

Welcome back from wherever you've been Laughing  Space the final frontier Razz I go there too. It usually takes a good amount of beer bud and just being tired. Goin there tonight LOL.
(09-09-2015, 02:28 PM)tvguy Wrote: This is what CW meant Wonky.... [Image: TheFortuneTeller.gif]

LOL

I love the irony that a picture of a joke going over someones head....went over the same persons head Laughing
(09-11-2015, 07:29 AM)GPnative Wrote:
(09-09-2015, 02:46 PM)GPnative Wrote: LOL

I love the irony that a picture of a joke going over someones head....went over the same persons head Laughing
Ah, yeah. "Laugh and the whole world laughs with you. Cry, and you cry alone". 

ME:  Sad