Obsolete Jobs
I think we touched on this subject Before, but not sure. 

Anyway, I will start because I was thinking about a woman that was very good at this job. 

Key Punch Operator

Next.  Smiling
Discussion forum administrator.
(11-15-2015, 07:52 PM)tvguy Wrote: Discussion forum administrator.

Laughing That's a choice. The position still exists. 

Ragpicker
Lamp lighters.

I was part of an interesting conversation the other day about what is driving the huge numbers of homelessness and  a homeless culture. One point was that of lack of usefulness. A lack of purpose. We see more and more jobs being taken over by technology. It isn't really important that they are low end jobs, because it leaves the worker with low skills no alternatives.
Pin setters
TV repairman.  Razz
Telephone operator
Typewriter Salesman
Elevator operator.
(11-15-2015, 09:31 PM)Tiamat Wrote: Lamp lighters.

I was part of an interesting conversation the other day about what is driving the huge numbers of homelessness and  a homeless culture. One point was that of lack of usefulness. A lack of purpose. We see more and more jobs being taken over by technology. It isn't really important that they are low end jobs, because it leaves the worker with low skills no alternatives.

"He makes the night a little brighter
Wherever he may go
The old lamp lighter
Of long, long ago.

There is no evidence that technology will create jobs (as was once suggested), and in fact robotics are eliminating jobs.    

The very rich better build moats and fill them with crocodiles at some point. Even the poor must eat.

But, to Clete's point: Cotten Pickin' cotton picker. 
Well the milkman. Or as I liked to call the one from my neighborhood, Dad.  Big Grin
(11-16-2015, 12:51 PM)cletus1 Wrote: Well, the milkman. Or as I liked to call the one from my neighborhood, Dad.  Big Grin

What goes around comes around-
 Shatto Milk Home Delivery rolling into the Northland | The Kansas City Star
soon , fast food cooks.
(11-16-2015, 06:24 PM)chuck white Wrote: soon , fast food cooks.

Strange, huh? 
'Cause slow food cooks will be around for a LONG time. 
Rat catchers.
Chicken warmer upper.  Laughing

WEST LINN, OR (KPTV) -

Officers with the West Linn Police Department responded to a report of a prowler at a residence on the 21000 block of Willamette Drive early Saturday morning.
When officers arrived, the homeowner took officers to the backyard, where they found a man in a homeowner’s chicken coop lying down in a nesting room.
Jordan Fincher, 23, told officers he had been drinking “Jäger Bombs” the previous evening in Oregon City, and that he had gone into the coop to “keep the chickens warm.”
Officers took Fincher into custody, and the West Linn man is now facing charges of burglary, trespass and criminal mischief.

Read more: http://www.kptv.com/story/30532530/west-linn-man-passes-out-in-strangers-chicken-coop-after-night-of-jager-bombs#ixzz3rj9uPU90
(11-16-2015, 10:50 PM)Tiamat Wrote: Rat catchers.

human or rodent?
Ice delivery woman.
(11-16-2015, 10:50 PM)Tiamat Wrote: Rat catchers.

?
(11-17-2015, 07:50 AM)tornado Wrote: Ice delivery woman.

Just the job for a frigid woman.