Christmas Shopping
(11-24-2015, 08:11 PM)Valuesize Wrote:
(11-24-2015, 07:27 PM)Tiamat Wrote:
(11-24-2015, 03:24 PM)bbqboy Wrote: I think Tia forgot a "not".
But she actually works, so it make take her a while to get back to us.

Yep, I forgot to put in the word "Not". Sorry, posted that on my lunch.

One lunch martini or two?  Razz
As much as I can take in 30 minutes.  Come to think of it, I've never had a martini in my life. Never even tasted one.
(11-24-2015, 09:36 PM)Tiamat Wrote:

One lunch martini or two? 
As much as I can take in 30 minutes.  Come to think of it, I've never had a martini in my life. Never even tasted one.
Dirty Martini... Yumma!
(11-24-2015, 09:48 PM)Scrapper Wrote:

Dirty  Martini... Yumma!

So they say.
(11-24-2015, 10:38 PM)Tiamat Wrote:
(11-24-2015, 07:27 PM)Tiamat Wrote: Yep, I forgot to put in the word "Not". Sorry, posted that on my lunch.

Dirty  Martini... Yumma!

So they say.

What makes it dirty?
(11-24-2015, 10:48 PM)cletus1 Wrote:
(11-24-2015, 08:11 PM)Valuesize Wrote: One lunch martini or two? 
Dirty  Martini... Yumma!

So they say.

What makes it dirty?

Olive juice.
(11-24-2015, 10:58 PM)Scrapper Wrote:
(11-24-2015, 09:36 PM)Tiamat Wrote: As much as I can take in 30 minutes.  Come to think of it, I've never had a martini in my life. Never even tasted one.
Dirty  Martini... Yumma!

So they say.

What makes it dirty?

Olive juice.
(11-25-2015, 09:46 AM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(11-24-2015, 10:58 PM)Scrapper Wrote:
(11-24-2015, 09:48 PM)Scrapper Wrote: Dirty  Martini... Yumma!

So they say.

What makes it dirty?

Olive juice.

Olive juice for women. 
Real men ask for used motor oil. 
Correction: Real men don't drink Martinis, they drink Bud from long neck  bottles.  Smiling
James
Bond says you're wrong.
(11-25-2015, 10:08 AM)bbqboy Wrote: James
Bond says you're wrong.

Bond (Bond, James Bond) is a figment of someone's imagination.  Working people are the real deal. 

But your point is well taken. Folks should drink whatever they want, when they want, and as much as they can handle. THEN deal with the consequences. 
(11-25-2015, 10:36 AM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(11-25-2015, 10:08 AM)bbqboy Wrote: James
Bond says you're wrong.

Bond (Bond, James Bond) is a figment of someone's imagination.  Working people are the real deal. 

But your point is well taken. Folks should drink whatever they want, when they want, and as much as they can handle. THEN deal with the consequences. 

[Image: tumblr_lngfqmE6QC1qbh26io1_1280.gif]
(11-24-2015, 03:09 PM)cletus1 Wrote:
(11-24-2015, 02:01 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(11-24-2015, 01:31 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(11-24-2015, 01:03 PM)tvguy Wrote: It's bullshit. If people don't want to work on holiday then don't take a job where your employer expects you to.

I don't "get" Tia's comment either, but I think the people you describe above have the right to "bargain" about the pay they get for working on holidays (or any other day). They may not win, but hey should have to right to bargain. 

An example (if you have time).

I worked at a large utility company for 35 years, and the last "stint" of about 15 years was in an operations office. It was a 24/7 office and Sunday was in the rotating schedule as a regular work day. We never negotiated for premium pay for Sundays, because like you said above, when you take certain jobs you take it "as is" or don't accept it. However, we did bargain for premium pay for work past an 8 hour day and a 40 hour week...and got it. 

To Clete's point: YES! Stay out of the damn stores on Thanksgiving day, for a lot of good reasons! (Clete for mayor!) 

Actually Clete didn't make a point , he just posted an article. Smiling

As for the right to bargain? Sure they should have and I guess they do have the right. But good luck with that. Is there any king of retail store worker union? I don't think so.
The only think I think they have to guarantee any rights is the Bureau of labor and they suck.

Store owners don't even have to pay overtime for any holidays.

I could argue the other way on working Thanksgiving. For example: Seasonal employees might like the additional hours. The only problem with that idea, is that employees don't really get more hours in the long run. Big retailers keep many part time workers and adjust work schedules to keep payroll as low as possible. So if you worked Thanksgiving you might get some other day off. 

If no one shopped on Thanksgiving, the stores would not open, but people will shop, you can count on it. 

You are exactly right. Stores only have to pay overtime when an employee works over 40 hours in a work week.

It's pretty chicken shit IMO. I had a buddy who worked as a welder for some company here in Medford. He got thanksgiving Thursday off but he had to come in on the following Saturday and work for straight hourly wage.

But whatever that's what you get when you aren't in a union.
(11-25-2015, 01:44 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(11-24-2015, 01:31 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(11-24-2015, 01:03 PM)tvguy Wrote: It's bullshit. If people don't want to work on holiday then don't take a job where your employer expects you to.

I don't "get" Tia's comment either, but I think the people you describe above have the right to "bargain" about the pay they get for working on holidays (or any other day). They may not win, but hey should have to right to bargain. 

I worked at a large utility company for 35 years, and the last "stint" of about 15 years was in an operations office. It was a 24/7 office and Sunday was in the rotating schedule as a regular work day. We never negotiated for premium pay for Sundays, because like you said above, when you take certain jobs you take it "as is" or don't accept it. However, we did bargain for premium pay for work past an 8 hour day and a 40 hour week...and got it. 

To Clete's point: YES! Stay out of the damn stores on Thanksgiving day, for a lot of good reasons! (Clete for mayor!) 

As for the right to bargain? Sure they should have and I guess they do have the right. But good luck with that. Is there any king of retail store worker union? I don't think so.
The only think I think they have to guarantee any rights is the Bureau of labor and they suck.

I could argue the other way on working Thanksgiving. For example: Seasonal employees might like the additional hours. The only problem with that idea, is that employees don't really get more hours in the long run. Big retailers keep many part time workers and adjust work schedules to keep payroll as low as possible. So if you worked Thanksgiving you might get some other day off. 

If no one shopped on Thanksgiving, the stores would not open, but people will shop, you can count on it. 

You are exactly right. Stores only have to pay overtime when an employee works over 40 hours in a work week.

It's pretty chicken shit IMO. I had a buddy who worked as a welder for some company here in Medford. He got thanksgiving Thursday off but he had to come in on the following Saturday and work for straight hourly wage.

So true brother. We get choices and when times get really sour folks tend to understand the blessings and power of collective bargaining. 

But to another point I won't let drop: Above you corrected me when I said Clete "made a point". You said he only posted an article. 
Duh.
He made the point by posting the article. Brother.  Big Grin
(11-25-2015, 06:27 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(11-24-2015, 01:31 PM)Wonky3 Wrote: I don't "get" Tia's comment either, but I think the people you describe above have the right to "bargain" about the pay they get for working on holidays (or any other day). They may not win, but hey should have to right to bargain. 

So true brother. We get choices and when times get really sour folks tend to understand the blessings and power of collective bargaining. 

But to another point I won't let drop: Above you corrected me when I said Clete "made a point". You said he only posted an article. 
Duh.

I guess he did for you but all I read was an article he posted and after reading it I still didn't know if Clete was for or against shopping on Thanksgiving.
(11-25-2015, 07:53 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(11-24-2015, 02:01 PM)tvguy Wrote: Actually Clete didn't make a point , he just posted an article. Smiling

Duh.

I guess he did for you but all I read was an article he posted and after reading it I still didn't know if Clete was for or against shopping on Thanksgiving.

Well, there was this heading and I would guess it's what Clete wanted share:

Be a Decent Human Being and Don’t Go Shopping on Thanksgiving
Uh Oh... I just made a purchase... on Thanksgiving!  Twitch
Hey, my grandson wants new Mickey jammies and Disney.com is having a sale!  Big Grin
(11-26-2015, 09:58 AM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(11-24-2015, 03:09 PM)cletus1 Wrote: I could argue the other way on working Thanksgiving. For example: Seasonal employees might like the additional hours. The only problem with that idea, is that employees don't really get more hours in the long run. Big retailers keep many part time workers and adjust work schedules to keep payroll as low as possible. So if you worked Thanksgiving you might get some other day off. 

Duh.

And you like to accuse me of wanting to argue. Yeah I know what the heading was and what the article was about. It was posted by Cletus and the heading and all was written by Jordan Weissman and not Cletus.

So Cletus could have posted it for whatever reason and not necessarily because he agreed with it. For the life of me I don't see why that's debatable.

(11-26-2015, 12:42 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(11-25-2015, 01:44 PM)tvguy Wrote: You are exactly right. Stores only have to pay overtime when an employee works over 40 hours in a work week.

Duh.

And you like to accuse me of wanting to argue. Yeah I know what the heading was and what the article was about. It was posted by Cletus and the heading and all was written by Jordan Weissman and not Cletus.

So Cletus could have posted it for whatever reason and not necessarily because he agreed with it. For the life of me I don't see why that's debatable.

I really don't like to be vulgar on these pages, but...Holy Shit!  Wink
(11-26-2015, 06:25 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(11-25-2015, 06:27 PM)Wonky3 Wrote: So true brother. We get choices and when times get really sour folks tend to understand the blessings and power of collective bargaining. 

Duh.

That's brilliant.
(11-26-2015, 06:41 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(11-26-2015, 06:25 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(11-25-2015, 07:53 PM)tvguy Wrote:  I guess he did for you but all I read was an article he posted and after reading it I still didn't know if Clete was for or against shopping on Thanksgiving.

That's brilliant.
Laughing Brilliant?

I posted an article because I have been reading about this trend, nothing more to it than that. Holy crap!
At dinner this afternoon I was told that Black Fridays Matter.  Rolling Eyes

So if you need to shop on that day, have at it.