Jack Swift - RIP
Retired attorney and former commissioner candidate Jack Swift dies at age 76

[Image: news03.jpg]
JACK SWIFT

By Ruth Longoria Kingsland of the Daily Courier

Jack Swift, a retired attorney and a tireless conservative political activist, died Friday of congestive heart failure.

This, after a five-day illness at Asante Three Rivers Medical Center, where the 76-year-old was visited by family, friends and community leaders, according to his son, Dan Swift of West Linn.

"The outpouring of the community was truly humbling and it amazed me," Dan Swift, 53, told the Daily Courier this morning.

In addition to a granddaughter who traveled from California, friends and acquaintances came from all over to pay their last respects to a man known for his legal knowledge and passion for educating people about important community issues, his son said.

"He believed passionately in the rights of the people and was a staunch supporter of the Second Amendment," Dan Swift said. "He was fair and always truly believed in the judicial system."

Jack Hubert Swift was born Oct. 12, 1939, in Los Angeles. After graduating from Loyola High School, in Los Angeles, he earned his bachelor's degree in English, with a minor in Latin, from Georgetown University in Washington, D.C. He later earned a doctorate in jurisprudence from Thomas Jefferson School of Law at Western State University in San Diego.

During his summer break, while a sophomore in college, Swift met and fell in love with "the girl next door," in La Habra, Calif., Catherine "Cathy" Shawhan. They married on June 18, 1960.

The couple has two sons, Dan, and Michael, 46, of Grants Pass; and three grandchildren.
While in California, Swift taught Latin, English and German at Notre Dame High school in Sherman Oaks. He also had a career in sales before he earned his law degree and worked as a maritime lawyer and municipal court judge in San Diego.

Jack and Cathy Swift moved to Grants Pass in 2003. His parents and the couple's two adult sons had already made the move to Oregon. Jack's love of the outdoors, including hunting and fishing, made Oregon the perfect retirement locale, Dan Swift said.

However, once here, he became involved in many political, government, and environmental issues.

In addition to a failed write-in candidacy for county commissioner in 2006, Swift was known for his eloquent speeches before the Board of County Commissioners and his writing of numerous Daily Courier letters to the editor and guest opinions.

Josephine County Counsel Wally Hicks said he "always considered Jack a food friend. He was a gifted lawyer and a dedicated member of the community."

Jim Frick worked closely with Swift, as both were involved with the Southern Oregon Resource Alliance. Frick is chairman of the organization and Swift was vice chairman.

"We worked together a lot and he was always extremely knowledgeable," Frick said. "Jack was a really, really good man, who is going to be missed dearly by friends and others in the community."
Last time I saw him, He was voicing support for the gravel pit in Sunny Valley.
Not well like around here.
(02-03-2016, 07:57 AM)chuck white Wrote: Last time I saw him, He was voicing support for the gravel pit in Sunny Valley.

He was definitely either well liked or well disliked for his views. Not much middle ground.  But either way, he was a vocal activist in the community and I did always appreciate the articulate way in which he presented his views, a refreshing change from the many hot headed idiots who spout off and sound like a jack ass.
I never cared for him, but I feel for his family.
(02-03-2016, 07:57 AM)chuck white Wrote: Last time I saw him, He was voicing support for the gravel pit in Sunny Valley.
I'm headed out the door with my dump truck this morning to haul rock...... where do you think the rock comes from that is put on the road you drive? Sidewalk you walk on, house you live in,store you shop in? Etc etc etc. It's comes from a hole in the ground. Rock is one of the first things used in almost everything and when forced to drive long distance to get, or draconian regulations are put on to mine, who do you think pays for the high cost? Everone! ! People need to wise up, mining rock can never go away, but the price sure can go up and has and continues to do so.
(02-03-2016, 08:57 AM)partsguy Wrote:
(02-03-2016, 07:57 AM)chuck white Wrote: Last time I saw him, He was voicing support for the gravel pit in Sunny Valley.
I'm headed out the door with my dump truck this morning to haul rock......  where do you think the rock comes from that is put on the road you drive? Sidewalk you walk on, house you live in,store you shop in? Etc etc etc.  It's comes from a hole in the ground. Rock is one of the first things used in almost everything and when forced to drive long distance to get, or draconian regulations are put on to mine, who do you think pays for the high cost? Everone! !  People need to wise up, mining rock can never go away, but the price sure can go up and has and continues to do so.

No one is against rock; It's more of a NIMBY sort of thing. 
(02-03-2016, 09:14 AM)cletus1 Wrote:
I'm headed out the door with my dump truck this morning to haul rock......  where do you think the rock comes from that is put on the road you drive? Sidewalk you walk on, house you live in,store you shop in? Etc etc etc.  It's comes from a hole in the ground. Rock is one of the first things used in almost everything and when forced to drive long distance to get, or draconian regulations are put on to mine, who do you think pays for the high cost? Everone! !  People need to wise up, mining rock can never go away, but the price sure can go up and has and continues to do so.

I don't waste my time posting here much, but will read the posts and some of the pure idiocy put here by some and you just did it. In the 20 plus years of rock, heavy equipment, etc. Yea there is plenty that opposed rock pits, rock hauling, etc I don't know who you are and don't care, but you are a fool and idiot on this issue!!!! There is huge problems with people opposed to rock pits go talk to a few pit operations, instead of spouting off on something you know nothing about and making yourself look stupid.
(02-03-2016, 09:28 AM)partsguy Wrote:

I don't waste my time posting here much, but will read the posts and some of the pure idiocy put here by some and you just did it. In the 20 plus years of rock, heavy equipment, etc. Yea there is plenty that opposed rock pits, rock hauling, etc I don't know who you are and don't care, but you are a fool and idiot on this issue!!!!  There is huge problems with people opposed to rock pits go talk to a few pit operations, instead of spouting off on something you know nothing about and making yourself look stupid.
You read too much into my simple comment without understanding it. I know enough about gravel and rock. I personally supervised public works crews and contracted out large road improvement projects for over 12 years. I have worked with Knife River, Copeland, Kogap, Pacific Pipeline, Johnny Cat and other contractors. Everyone that benefited from road improvement projects were usually very happy to see us getting these projects done. 

Besides, I never said people aren't opposed to rock pits or rock hauling trucks. In fact, I said people don't want them in their neighborhood, but people loved us bringing rock when we graveled or paved their roads. You appear to have woke up with a stick up your ass. I however am not in the mood for an argument. So go pound sand from the pit.  Big Grin
RIP JS.

Dirt thread here: http://www.roguevalleyforum.com/forum/sh...#pid368017
(02-03-2016, 10:07 AM)cletus1 Wrote:

I don't waste my time posting here much, but will read the posts and some of the pure idiocy put here by some and you just did it. In the 20 plus years of rock, heavy equipment, etc. Yea there is plenty that opposed rock pits, rock hauling, etc I don't know who you are and don't care, but you are a fool and idiot on this issue!!!!  There is huge problems with people opposed to rock pits go talk to a few pit operations, instead of spouting off on something you know nothing about and making yourself look stupid.
You read too much into my simple comment without understanding it. I know enough about gravel and rock. I personally supervised public works crews and contracted out large road improvement projects for over 12 years. I have worked with Knife River, Copeland, Kogap, Pacific Pipeline, Johnny Cat and other contractors. Everyone that benefited from road improvement projects were usually very happy to see us getting these projects done. 

Besides, I never said people aren't opposed to rock pits or rock hauling trucks. In fact, I said people don't want them in their neighborhood, but people loved us bringing rock when we graveled or paved their roads. You appear to have woke up with a stick up your ass. I however am not in the mood for an argument. So go pound sand from the pit.  Big Grin
"No one is against rock" your words and you are full of crap. 20 plus years in the business I have run across lots of people opposed to rock. You know all the asphalt put on I 5 a few summers back through sunny valley? We helped haul all that, it's was a knife river job, since you worked with Knife river please do explain what the big problem with the asphalt plant was? Will see how much knowledge you have. Explain what went on for the forum here. If you don't I will and it will show what fool you are on this subject.
What were you sayin GPnative?
"a refreshing change from the many hot headed idiots who spout off and sound like a jack ass....."
A little anger management needed by some here.
Lurkers gone wild.
(02-03-2016, 12:20 PM)Willie Krash Wrote: What were you sayin GPnative?
a refreshing change from the many hot headed idiots who spout off and sound like a jack ass.....
A little anger management needed by some here.

It's a RIP thread as well.  Rolling Eyes
Lol , it's anger when you call someone out who is talking out their backside most of the time and it stinks. Clet is full of crap on this issue and I throw down the challenge to you do some research on the issue. Let's hear clet explain the asphalt plant deal as I stated earlier for instance as that is tied into the the "rock" issue also. I laugh reading the posts of so many here that are clueless and talk out their backdoor much of the time. Explain clet????? What went on? You brought up Knife river and I'm calling you out on it.
(02-03-2016, 01:20 PM)partsguy Wrote: Lol , it's anger when you call someone out who is talking out their backside most of the time and it stinks. Clet is full of crap on this issue and I throw down the challenge to you do some research on the issue.  Let's hear clet explain the asphalt plant deal as I stated earlier for instance as that is tied into the the "rock" issue also. I laugh reading the posts of so many here that are clueless and talk out their backdoor much of the time. Explain clet????? What went on? You brought up Knife river and I'm calling you out on it.
You are dense. I never said I worked for Knife River. I said I contracted jobs, some of the with Knife River. They were LTM when I worked with the company. John Latito, who no longer works with the company was a project manager for a 2.1 million dollar street improvement project I was involved in. 

Your anger does not appear to come from my post about rock. I would dare to guess you don't approve of my politics and it made you vomit a bunch of bile this morning.  Laughing
Lol clet your talking out you backside again. Normal for you. I said you worked with, not for, go reread and shut your backdoor and start using your piehole. Now the challenge again. What went on with the asphalt plant that paved I 5 through sunny valley? Remember you said no one ever is agaist "rock"
(02-03-2016, 02:02 PM)partsguy Wrote: Lol clet your talking out you backside again. Normal for you. I said you worked with, not for, go reread and shut your backdoor and start using your piehole.  Now the challenge again. What went on with the asphalt plant that paved I 5 through sunny valley?  Remember you said no one ever is agaist "rock"

I have no idea what happened. Was it in the paper? Tell us what happened. Was there a protest? Did a kid write graffiti on a tank, serious vandalism? Please, I am peeing my pants, tell me. 
(02-03-2016, 02:57 PM)cletus1 Wrote:
(02-03-2016, 02:02 PM)partsguy Wrote: Lol clet your talking out you backside again. Normal for you. I said you worked with, not for, go reread and shut your backdoor and start using your piehole.  Now the challenge again. What went on with the asphalt plant that paved I 5 through sunny valley?  Remember you said no one ever is agaist "rock"

I have no idea what happened. Was it in the paper? Tell us what happened. Was there a protest? Did a kid write graffiti on a tank, serious vandalism? Please, I am peeing my pants, tell me. 

Maybe he can be a big boy and use his big boy nice words... over in the dirt thread (where it belongs) and not in the RIP thread?!?!
 http://www.roguevalleyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=17710&pid=368017#pid368017 
(02-03-2016, 03:02 PM)Scrapper Wrote:
(02-03-2016, 02:57 PM)cletus1 Wrote:

Maybe he can be a big boy and use his big boy nice words... over in the dirt thread (where it belongs) and not in the RIP thread?!?!
 http://www.roguevalleyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=17710&pid=368017#pid368017 

Okay I see Clet did not respond as he or she is full of crap. Clet said "no one is against rock  its more of a NIMBY sort of thing"  Last time I checked every rock pit is in some sort of someones neighborhood and someone or many someone's nearly always protest, or worse stop the project  and clet knows this. It is a huge problem trying to get this stuff through and I lay down the challege for you people to check with owners of rock pits and see with the crap put up by people who by the way have no problem driving on rock, paved roads, live in houses using all kind of rock products, etc. etc. etc.  the list is endless.  Now clet brought up working with (not for!!! as he or she said I said, I did not, another load of crap) knife river. Remember that little I5 paving project through sunny valley etc a few years back? we hauled a lot of that asphalt. Do anyone of you know where the plant for that asphalt was?  (temporary I might add and always was to be temporary) Exit 55 old spaulding mill. Do you know where the rock for the aphalt came from?  Gold Hill right off of I 5.  All that rock had to be hauled to the old spaulding mill stockpiled and proccesed into aspahlt.  I challenge any of you to find a better location for a temporary plant. (go drive it and see) Now do you the neighbors were okay with is?(go drive the location so you know what it looks like) No!!!!!  this is for a temporary!!!! plant that everone including the neighborhood would benefit from. (we all drive I 5) They fought it tooth and nail against this temporary plant. These are the same hypocrite pigs that fight every rock pit etc in their neighborhood and benefit from that rock. As far as I'm concerned the city should have had knife river bring in the dozer and rip out all the paved roads in the neighborhood and let them drive in the dust or mud. It's the same nearly everwhere, don't want rock made that will benefit you, let's rip the road out and you can drive in the dirt. You see the same with neighbors when I pull up with the dump truck, dozer, excavater, ect. They start complaining about the noise, dust, road wear etc. What a load of crap!!  All the same factors came into play when they built their places and they had no problem then. Selfish pigs is what they are!! Most of those that protest many things are just the same. Some day when I get the news when I'm terminal I just may pull that lever on to open that belly dump and put 25 tons of rock in front of that sniveling, tailgating,bumber sticker laden green subaru,  driven by the greenie nut jobs on their way to save the world and protest that rock pit which will help provide the rock to give them a road to drive on.

Cletus..."You read too much into my simple comment without understanding it. "

Wow you can say that again !! This dude has issues
(02-03-2016, 08:54 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(02-03-2016, 08:57 AM)partsguy Wrote: I'm headed out the door with my dump truck this morning to haul rock......  where do you think the rock comes from that is put on the road you drive? Sidewalk you walk on, house you live in,store you shop in? Etc etc etc.  It's comes from a hole in the ground. Rock is one of the first things used in almost everything and when forced to drive long distance to get, or draconian regulations are put on to mine, who do you think pays for the high cost? Everone! !  People need to wise up, mining rock can never go away, but the price sure can go up and has and continues to do so.

Cletus..."You read too much into my simple comment without understanding it. "

Wow you can say that again !! This dude has issues
His anger seems to be a result of reading too many of my posts that he has disagreed with. Big Grin  I never seen anyone get so bent outta shape over so little. 

No disrespect to Jack Smith was intended by arguing in this RIP thread. We argue everywhere here. It's the RVF for God's sakes.  I doubt Jack cares.  Ninja