No wonder Facebook is killing this forum
Fuck Facebook
I am happy to browse what little activity goes on here.
(03-14-2016, 12:41 PM)tvguy Wrote: I knows Clete, Wonky and Tia's real names But I think that's about it.

I don't really care but if anyone wants to post on Facebook "Wars" It would be nice if I knew who you are.

There are quite a few redneck Trump supporter types but also quite a few Bernie hippie types too. Razz

And it's not a politics.. Thank God. 

This is the first I've heard of Facebook "Wars".
(03-14-2016, 02:04 PM)GPnative Wrote: Fuck Facebook

I wish you weren't so vague.  Really, tell us how you FEEL about it!  Laughing  Laughing  Laughing

Well OK but I'm not. I typically click on this site and find nearly nothing to comment on or maybe one post and if I do comment there might not be a response at all or it might be the next day.

Can you explain what it is you don't like about Facebook? I'm just curious.
(03-14-2016, 02:34 PM)Scrapper Wrote:
(03-14-2016, 12:41 PM)tvguy Wrote: I knows Clete, Wonky and Tia's real names But I think that's about it.

I don't really care but if anyone wants to post on Facebook "Wars" It would be nice if I knew who you are.

There are quite a few redneck Trump supporter types but also quite a few Bernie hippie types too. Razz

Wait... is that the Scanner thing?  I thought that had imploded.

Well as you probably know anyone can start a Facebook group. This one was originally a group called "scanners" where people posted what they heard on their police scanners and made comments.

But too many people started debating and or making comments etc which I guess was not the way the group wanted the site to work.
So they started a new group called "Wars" where supposedly anything goes. But that changed because anything does not go and people do get kicked off.

I think it's the opposite of here where liberals outnumber conservatives. But that's fine with me. I've been a LOT of cool intelligent people there including some conservatives but mostly like minded people.

Anyway I remember several people saying it was nothing like this forum. I beg to differ. You can talk with people, Joke, argue or whatever just like we USED to do here.
(03-14-2016, 03:30 PM)Scrapper Wrote:

Wait... is that the Scanner thing?  I thought that had imploded.
No the scanner thing is still there. Just not too interesting to me.
One other thing. Their server isn't as  SLowwwwwwwwwww as this one so often gets.

I'm with you matey.  Laughing 

Though it would be nice to have more content posted by the members we still do have. As I've said before, the Kam (or whoever) needs to unlock all the threads and stop locking them automatically. 

I would also like all the permanently banned members given a pardon, but tossed in a caveat of one strike and you're out.

Oh, and bring back "The Thunderdome!"  Laughing
(03-14-2016, 03:28 PM)tvguy Wrote:

Well OK but I'm not. I typically click on this site and find nearly nothing to comment on or maybe one post and if I do comment there might not be a response at all or it might be the next day.

Can you explain what it is you don't like about Facebook? I'm just curious.

TV, Thanks for posting that, I'm jealous. Not enough to give Facebook another shot though.  Razz 

I need to get out of here but I'll comment on FB when I return.
I occasionally visit Reddit but I don't know if anyone in your area posts there. 
Me too. I don't do Facebook either. 

I like a little anonymity. If I remove the filter that use when posting here this place might get more interesting. 
(03-14-2016, 04:50 PM)cletus1 Wrote:

I like a little anonymity. If I remove the filter that use when posting here this place might get more interesting. 

I have a couple of facebook accounts, none in my real name.
So, what the issue with anonymity
(also I don't really have anything posted there either.)
(03-14-2016, 03:56 PM)Valuesize Wrote: I occasionally visit Reddit but I don't know if anyone in your area posts there. 

Did you know anyone when you first posted here?
(03-14-2016, 03:43 PM)Valuesize Wrote:

I'm with you matey.  Laughing 

Though it would be nice to have more content posted by the members we still do have. As I've said before, the Kam (or whoever) needs to unlock all the threads and stop locking them automatically. 

I would also like all the permanently banned members given a pardon, but tossed in a caveat of one strike and you're out.

Oh, and bring back "The Thunderdome!"  Laughing

You are contradicting yourself aren't you? You can't agree with GP who is "happy to browse what little activity goes on here" and then pine for the good old days when something actually was going on here.

So basically you want this place to be like it was. Which isn't about to happen. But you are not interested in some other place that IS more like this place was?

I don't understand
(03-14-2016, 05:20 PM)chuck white Wrote:

I have a couple of facebook accounts, none in my real name.
So, what the issue with anonymity
(also I don't really have anything posted there either.)

You can try joining with a fake name but I think FB has cracked down on that and I think most people already have an account with their REAL name.
If for nothing else family and close friends.

You are well known publicly so I can see why you want anonymity. On the other hand I don't see anything you've done that I would be embarrassed or ashamed to admit.
I think some people think that facebook is wide open, and everyone on the planet can see your stuff. They have many ways to arrange what you post to a specific person, to just a list of certain people, or "public", which can still be refined to keep out specific people. So if there are certain people you don't WANT to see, you block them.
(03-14-2016, 05:56 PM)tvguy Wrote:

You are well known publicly so I can see why you want anonymity. On the other hand I don't see anything you've done that I would be embarrassed or ashamed to admit.

Then you don't know me very well. Big Grin Actually, I have few secrets anymore. I just think using your real name on social websites can have negative consequences if you spout off about controversial things like I do, especially when you live in a relatively small community. I don't do Twitter or Instagram either. 

I considered joining Facebook for the sole purpose of finding som very old friends. I decided against it. And I have a telephone for family members to keep in touch with me. 
There a a few whose names I don't know.. This place is dying. Just about dead. But i don't think it's because we chased people off. I think it's just a case of "video killed the radio star". People post differently now. People used to (I still do) post from their desk tops or lap tops. I remember when, on the old forum, some of the first smartphone posting starting happening. It was new. It was novel. Now, it's the norm, and people posting from laptops or desktops are the exception. And it changes the nature and the feel of the place. Wars is a busy place. And it has the uber entitled attitude that a lot of facebook users have. So entitled. So better than thou. So Snide. But when people are posting from their smart phone while waiting in line at the grocery store, or sitting at their sons soccer game, or whatever, the nature of the way people talk and share and debate changes. What you won't find on Wars much is much in the way of meaningful discussion. Maybe TV disagrees with me there. But I've learned peoples names here mostly because I've had meaningful debates and conversations with them. I definitely have learned the names of many folks in Wars, but they don't feel the same to me as the folks I met and learned to know here. As insulting as snide as this place could be, it's worse in wars. It seems like TV is pretty satisfied with Wars. I am not. I prefer my West Medford Site. It is moderated, but it isn't the moderation that seems to make it a friendlier more conversational place; its more like the people just aren't coming there to "War". I'd like to find some other conversation/debated based sites on FB, so if you know them, pass them on. As it is, I go to West Medford for community, and Wars for entertainment. I see TV there and Steve Ryan who used to be on this forum, but can't remember what his name is. And Amanda. And Tiffany, And JJ, and BBQBoy, and Randy Weeks and his wife.....what was her name?....and many others from the old forum. But it's never been the place of community this place used to be. Oh, well, times change, right? I'll be sad when this place is gone. Sad Bottom line? I may be over on wars and not here, but I wish I was here.