Crossword Puzzles
(04-24-2016, 07:33 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(04-24-2016, 07:23 PM)cletus1 Wrote:
(04-24-2016, 06:15 PM)tornado Wrote: I started working crossword puzzles in the Los Angeles Herald Examiner when I was looking for a job. At the same time, I was an English major in college. Vocabulary was one of the courses of study. Learning new words each week was a boon to solving crosswords. Being a Scrabble addict was also helpful.

There was a pattern to the puzzles. After you had been doing them for a while, repetition set in, and the answers came too easily. Therefore, I limited myself to only doing the Sunday puzzles which were always bigger and more challenging. This regimen continued for a few years until I simply became bored with the matter.  By the way, I used a ball point pen, and only consulted a dictionary when stumped by foreign words.

I think crossword puzzles is one of the best ways to increase one's vocabulary.

Good point. I use with my thesaurus when I can't find the right word, but I can see the benefit to ones vocabulary by doing crossword puzzles. 

I am too lazy to use the theaaurus for commication that does not matter all that much, like here, but when I had to write letters for my employer, I made every effort to be a bit more concise. I used to proof read my letters and memos several times before I sent any written communication to anyone.

You spelt thesaurus wrong. Razz    

I can't figure out where but there used to be a fuction that was part of spell check when you could click on a word and get other similar words .....a thesaurus .. I don't see this function now Sad

Cool
Damn I corrected the spelling of the word and reposted, but the program changed the word back to the misspelled version.
(04-24-2016, 07:49 PM)cletus1 Wrote: Damn I corrected the spelling of the word and reposted, but the program changed the word back to the misspelled version.

On your ipad?
Mine is smarter than I am. Very frustrating.