Who here has seen Yukon men
Are there any Yukon Women?
It can get pretty lonely up there
(04-25-2016, 08:48 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(04-25-2016, 11:05 AM)tvguy Wrote: LOL I didn't start the thread to defend reality TV.

I like reality. I hate canned laughter and the total phony crap . I like to watch shows where I can actually learn something. To me that IS entertainment. Smiling
I rarely listen to music on the radio in my car. I flip around from station to station to hear people talk on different subjects. I'm just a nerd this way.

I only listen to NPR. If I don't like what I hear, I flip it off.

I'm a big fan of NPR too. But...the pledge breaks are starting to REALLY annoy me! Seems more often, and longer. 

Thanks to the Internet I can listen to OPB (Portland) or KQED (San Francisco) during the pledge breaks. I'm hoping someday the technology will allow us to have a log-in account via the Internet and those of us who have paid memberships will be able to listen without hearing the pledge breaks. (If ONLY those who "freeload" would send in a few bucks).

I start my day with "Morning Edition", and listen to some live stuff during the day, but listen mostly to podcasts later at my convenience. Almost all of NPR, PRI, etc. is recored for podcasts. (If you haven't listented to WAIT WAIT DON'T TELL ME, I'd suggest you give it a try) 

(And I think podcasts are slicker than shirt pockets! DVR for radio) 

About Yukon: Haven't seen it. May not. It's great that there is so much content out there and we get to make choices.
(04-25-2016, 11:05 AM)tvguy Wrote: LOL I didn't start the thread to defend reality TV.

I like reality. I hate canned laughter and the total phony crap . I like to watch shows where I can actually learn something. To me that IS entertainment. Smiling
I rarely listen to music on the radio in my car. I flip around from station to station to hear people talk on different subjects. I'm just a nerd this way.

Like this?

[Image: hqdefault.jpg]

Razz   Big Grin   Laughing
(04-25-2016, 06:15 PM)Cuzz Wrote:

Now I'm just the opposite, if my radio is on it better be playing music. If I hear people talking too long I start channel surfing to find more music. Morning radio really sucks!   Big Grin
Well I don't know of any local radio stations that don't play the same thing over and over and over......

I'll listen to people I don't like just to hear from those who call in. Often times I just have to change the channel but it depends on what's being discussed.
NPR is flat out boring very often and what's up with the registered freaking crap they call music that they play LOL
(04-26-2016, 08:28 AM)Wonky3 Wrote:

I'm a big fan of NPR too. But...the pledge breaks are starting to REALLY annoy me! Seems more often, and longer. 

Thanks to the Internet I can listen to OPB (Portland) or KQED (San Francisco) during the pledge breaks. I'm hoping someday the technology will allow us to have a log-in account via the Internet and those of us who have paid memberships will be able to listen without hearing the pledge breaks. (If ONLY those who "freeload" would send in a few bucks).

I start my day with "Morning Edition", and listen to some live stuff during the day, but listen mostly to podcasts later at my convenience. Almost all of NPR, PRI, etc. is recored for podcasts. (If you haven't listented to WAIT WAIT DON'T TELL ME, I'd suggest you give it a try) 

About Yukon: Haven't seen it. May not. It's great that there is so much content out there and we get to make choices.

I didn't know there was such a thing on the radio. I know it used to drive me nuts that when ever public TV had something good it was interrupted so they can BEG for money.
But I record those shows now and of course I fast forward through the begging part.

I guess I'll never get the concept as to why it's better to have an excruciatingly long Beg a thon in a program instead of a few short commercials.
(04-26-2016, 08:28 AM)Wonky3 Wrote: About Yukon: Haven't seen it. May not. It's great that there is so much content out there and we get to make choices.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL...q5bfe4g8RS
(04-26-2016, 12:50 PM)tvguy Wrote:

I didn't know there was such a thing on the radio. I know it used to drive me nuts that when ever public TV had something good it was interrupted so they can BEG for money.
But I record those shows now and of course I fast forward through the begging part.

I guess I'll never get the concept as to why it's better to have an excruciatingly long Beg a thon in a program instead of a few short commercials.
Well, one reason, is that when you don't answer to sponsors they can't dictate what you play.  If commercials were all that made the difference, I'd like to know why we don't have commercial stations that are playing stuff of the same caliper as I hear on NPR. I listen to NPR because it's notably better and different than other choices. The commercial choices. If they would offer something comparable, I'd listen to them instead of NPR.  So, why don't we have the choices from the commercial radio stations.? I'm not listening it to it to make some kind of statement about public versus private. I listen because it's better.
I think the music is interesting because the volunteer DJ's pick it out. So, often I don't like it, but often I get turned on to artists or songs I never heard anywhere else.
(04-26-2016, 06:43 PM)Juniper Wrote:

Well, one reason, is that when you don't answer to sponsors they can't dictate what you play.  If commercials were all that made the difference, I'd like to know why we don't have commercial stations that are playing stuff of the same caliper as I hear on NPR. I listen to NPR because it's notably better and different than other choices. The commercial choices. If they would offer something comparable, I'd listen to them instead of NPR.  So, why don't we have the choices from the commercial radio stations.? I'm not listening it to it to make some kind of statement about public versus private. I listen because it's better.

I think the commercial radio stations are just minimizing costs. The use of prerecorded play lists is part of that. They only seem to play the same pop songs repeatedly, and mostly nothing else. It's all about the survey numbers I suppose. I agree with the rest of what you said. There used to be a station in Portland, KINK, that was good for variety, old rock, new rock, blues, jazz, maybe occasionally some of the better pop. They were bought some years back by one of the biggies (Clear Channel I think) and haven't been the same since.

I listen to JPR mostly for the variety and quality of the music. They're really quite good. My opinion. I'd welcome a commercial station if they were as good as JPR or the old KINK. I won't be holding my breath though.
(04-26-2016, 07:33 PM)Cuzz Wrote:
(04-25-2016, 08:48 PM)Juniper Wrote: I only listen to NPR. If I don't like what I hear, I flip it off.

I think the commercial radio stations are just minimizing costs. The use of prerecorded play lists is part of that. They only seem to play the same pop songs repeatedly, and mostly nothing else. It's all about the survey numbers I suppose. I agree with the rest of what you said. There used to be a station in Portland, KINK, that was good for variety, old rock, new rock, blues, jazz, maybe occasionally some of the better pop. They were bought some years back by one of the biggies (Clear Channel I think) and haven't been the same since.

I listen to JPR mostly for the variety and quality of the music. They're really quite good. My opinion. I'd welcome a commercial station if they were as good as JPR or the old KINK. I won't be holding my breath though.
If I was to rate NPR/JPR on what I'm listening to, music would be like 10%, so it's not just music that makes my decision for listening.

I'm talking about TV and you seem to be talking about NPR.

What is on NPR that a higher caliper that you like?
Science Friday.
(04-27-2016, 11:41 AM)tvguy Wrote:
(04-25-2016, 08:48 PM)Juniper Wrote: I only listen to NPR. If I don't like what I hear, I flip it off.

Geez, nearly everything...Wait wait don't tell me, Weekend Edition, Fresh Air, Car Talk, Rhythm and News, Moth Radio Hour, Ted Talks, Splendid Table...I only listen to the radio in the car so I tend to hear the same shows but there's so much more. But you said NPR in your post, or was that Wonky?....so now....I'm confused.
Are you wanting to get back to the OP, TV? I still haven't watched it...I will keep an eye out for it.
(04-27-2016, 07:04 PM)chuck white Wrote: Science Friday.

Oh yeah. I'm a science kind of guy always have been but sometimes science Friday will put me to sleep.
(04-27-2016, 07:14 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(04-26-2016, 08:28 AM)Wonky3 Wrote: I'm a big fan of NPR too. But...the pledge breaks are starting to REALLY annoy me! Seems more often, and longer. 

Geez, nearly everything...Wait wait don't tell me, Weekend Edition, Fresh Air, Car Talk, Rhythm and News, Moth Radio Hour, Ted Talks, Splendid Table...I only listen to the radio in the car so I tend to hear the same shows but there's so much more. But you said NPR in your post, or was that Wonky?....so now....I'm confused.

I was talking about public TV and their begathon.. then Wonky brought up NPR as if they do the same Blink
(04-27-2016, 07:15 PM)Juniper Wrote: Are you wanting to get back to the OP, TV?  I still haven't watched it...I will keep an eye out for it.

I don't care if threads go off track, That's a Wonky problem. Big Grin
(04-27-2016, 07:26 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(04-26-2016, 12:50 PM)tvguy Wrote: I'm a big fan of NPR too. But...the pledge breaks are starting to REALLY annoy me! Seems more often, and longer.

I was talking about public TV and their begathon.. then Wonky brought up NPR as if they do the same Blink

Well, they do.
(04-27-2016, 07:29 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(04-27-2016, 07:26 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(04-26-2016, 06:43 PM)Juniper Wrote: Well, one reason, is that when you don't answer to sponsors they can't dictate what you play.  If commercials were all that made the difference, I'd like to know why we don't have commercial stations that are playing stuff of the same caliper as I hear on NPR. I listen to NPR because it's notably better and different than other choices. The commercial choices. If they would offer something comparable, I'd listen to them instead of NPR.  So, why don't we have the choices from the commercial radio stations.? I'm not listening it to it to make some kind of statement about public versus private. I listen because it's better.

Well, they do.

They stop the radio program for 10 minutes to beg?