Buying a Utility Trailer
I could use some input on utility trailers. 

I have done I little research and I think I am going to get a 5x10 trailer with a treated lumber deck. They are available at Lowe's in Medford for $1199.00. The reviews on trailers by people that have purchased mesh floor trailers have said they have had to replace those floor with a wooden deck not long after buying the cheaper metal mesh trailers. 

Anyone have any good or bad experience with utility trailers.
(04-26-2016, 08:18 PM)cletus1 Wrote: I could use some input on utility trailers. 

I have done I little research and I think I am going to get a 5x10 trailer with a treated lumber deck. They are available at Lowe's in Medford for $1199.00. The reviews on trailers by people that have purchased mesh floor trailers have said they have had to replace those floor with a wooden deck not long after buying the cheaper metal mesh trailers. 

Could you post a photo of the trailer you like please?

Edit: This one?
[Image: 654102520234lg.jpg]
Many years ago I bought a wrecked Chevy S-10 for $100.00 Spent about 40 bucks on the hitch attachment. I took the cab off the frame, cut the frame on both sides at the correct angle an bent it together, then welded the attachment on it. I sold the scrap (it was worth money then) for more than it cost to "build" the trailer.

Still have it.
(04-26-2016, 08:54 PM)Someones Dad Wrote: Many years ago I bought a wrecked Chevy S-10 for $100.00  Spent about 40 bucks on the hitch attachment.  I took the cab off the frame, cut the frame on both sides at the correct angle an bent it together, then welded the attachment on it.  I sold the scrap (it was worth money then) for more than it cost to "build" the trailer.

Still have it.

No offence, but Clete has a certain "image"  he needs to protect.  Big Grin
(04-26-2016, 09:03 PM)Valuesize Wrote:
(04-26-2016, 08:54 PM)Someones Dad Wrote: Many years ago I bought a wrecked Chevy S-10 for $100.00  Spent about 40 bucks on the hitch attachment.  I took the cab off the frame, cut the frame on both sides at the correct angle an bent it together, then welded the attachment on it.  I sold the scrap (it was worth money then) for more than it cost to "build" the trailer.

Still have it.

He doesn't want a pick up converted to a trailer.
When he could have this.
[Image: 14823396685_703c34eb93_b.jpg]
(04-26-2016, 08:21 PM)Valuesize Wrote:
(04-26-2016, 08:18 PM)cletus1 Wrote: I could use some input on utility trailers. 

Could you post a photo of the trailer you like please?

Edit: This one?
[Image: 654102520234lg.jpg]
That is it, assuming that is the 5 x 10 model. I need a trailer that can carry my riding mower, BBQ, furniture and appliances when needed and bags of manure, potting soil, branches, yard debris and most everything else. The smaller trailers won't do all I need, but this one will. I am glad I waited a day; the price just dropped from $1,199 to $1,079 for this trailer. 

Maybe someone here has a trailer they want to sell for like half price of the new ones. Smiling If you do, PM me. You will get go meet me and that has got go be worth something.
Home depot had trailer like that for sale.
(04-26-2016, 09:03 PM)Valuesize Wrote:

Still have it.

No offense taken, but with the overload springs I added, there is almost nothing I can't haul with it!
(04-27-2016, 06:02 AM)chuck white Wrote: Home depot had trailer like that for sale.

I know I checked their site first. However, I took a more careful look at trailers from both of these stores after you posted that. The second look at the specifications of each trailer reveals some key differences. The Lowe's trailer has a payload capacity of 1300 pounds whereas the Home Depot trailer is rated at 2250 pounds. Also, the Home Depot trailer has 14 inch wheels, the Lowe's has 13 inch wheels. So, even with the lower price at Home Depot I plan to buy at the Home Depot. 

You did good Chuck. Now I don't have to drive to Medford.  Smiling
Here you go, buy this, and with the money you save on the new one you can buy me a six pack for finders fee Wink

http://medford.craigslist.org/snw/5508577646.html
(04-27-2016, 07:01 AM)GPnative Wrote: Here you go, buy this, and with the money you save on the new one you can buy me a six pack for finders fee Wink

I will check it out. I missed that CL posting. If there are really no issues with it than it might work. I want to see if the floor is treated wood installed by the manufacturer and if the lights work.
My useless input, shameless plug, for the deal I got on my utility trailer:

Since I don't own a pick up, they come in handy as hell and I use my trailer all the time. I bought an all steel 4x8' off of craigslist at least 5 years ago. I paid $200 for the thing, no idea why the guy sold it so cheap. It even had bearing buddy caps on it to easily grease the wheel bearings. It has leaf springs under it, tows like a dream. I have loaded the hell out of it from firewood to over flowing with soil, to the point I was concerned for it's well being and it has never let me down. Best $200 investment ever.

That is all
Crete, I'd 2nd the idea of monitoring CL. 

I had a 4X8 utility trailer that was "home built" from an axel, tires and springs and welded frame (guy in Central Point built it) who then enclosed it with good quailty all-weather plywood. I had it for about 20 years, painted it once, and just recencly sold it on CL for $270. (Think I could have gotten more... I paid $400 for it).. It was not "butt ugly" and had to replace tires only once. 

I do like the high tailgate on the ones pictured above. But, I bought a couple of steel ramps that worked fine for loading some heavy stuff. 

Good luck. A MAJOR factor: At this point in our lives we should have the things that please us if we can afford it. If the new one is what you want, go for it! Maybe chrome it, get some white-wall tires, and line the bed with Teak.
(04-27-2016, 07:01 AM)GPnative Wrote: Here you go, buy this, and with the money you save on the new one you can buy me a six pack for finders fee Wink

Unfortunately that add is a month old and the phone number no longer works, but thanks for the tip. 

Who the hell said this forum isn't worth a damn. I learn from some of you here and get good tips on stuff.
Here's one you may have missed since the guy can't spell trailer. Smiling  Probably sold but who knows.

Utility trailor - $900 (Grants pass)  

craigslist - Map data OpenStreetMap
(google map)
condition: excellent
make / manufacturer: Utility trail or to gate
model name / number: Max
size / dimensions: 10" 4" 7 w ,42 " d Mulity use utility trailer single Axel like new tires 7'w/10'4" L 42" Deep tailgate and side gate great for farm ranch quads mulity use wanting to upgrade to a hydrolic dump will consider all offers ask for pics need to sell by Monday price is now 900$ this is a trail or you want to buy
[Image: 4938601862_fc29832797.jpg]
Some people spell it that way.
(04-27-2016, 06:59 PM)chuck white Wrote: [Image: 4938601862_fc29832797.jpg]
Maybe that's the guys last name?
(04-27-2016, 07:29 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(04-27-2016, 06:59 PM)chuck white Wrote: [Image: 4938601862_fc29832797.jpg]
Maybe that's the guys last name?

Maybe he could haul his tracter on his trailor. Big Grin
(04-27-2016, 07:40 PM)chuck white Wrote:
(04-27-2016, 07:29 PM)tvguy Wrote: