Favorite (or not) Quotes
(05-01-2016, 11:24 AM)chuck white Wrote:
(05-01-2016, 11:14 AM)tvguy Wrote:
(05-01-2016, 11:12 AM)Someones Dad Wrote:
(05-01-2016, 11:02 AM)tvguy Wrote:
(05-01-2016, 10:42 AM)Someones Dad Wrote: This quote is ignorant, in and of itself.  Of course we are all entitled to no not know something.  EVERYONE is "ignorant" on a great many of subjects.  Nobody knows everything.

I do, just ask me.

Wanna hear something funny?   I almost added "Except TVGuy" to the end of my comment.

Big Grin

TV_GUY is 'All knowing', we just call hm a 'know it all' Big Grin

"TV_GUY is 'All knowing',"....... I knew that, of course.
(05-01-2016, 08:21 AM)Wonky3 Wrote: You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.” 

― Harlan Ellison

Then why do they let kids drop out of high school.
(05-01-2016, 10:42 AM)Someones Dad Wrote:
(05-01-2016, 08:21 AM)Wonky3 Wrote: You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.” 

― Harlan Ellison

This quote is ignorant, in and of itself.  Of course we are all entitled to no not know something.  EVERYONE is "ignorant" on a great many of subjects.  Nobody knows everything.

You are right of course. 

Ignorant: lacking knowledge or awareness in general; uneducated or unsophisticated: he was told constantly that he was ignorant and stupid.

But context is important. Ellison is saying (I think) that an OPINION that is not informed is ignorant. You and I might, for instance, agree that "Jesus Saves" is an ignorant opinion. That we may not know physics does not make us ignorant. And arguing that the world is flat is just plain ignorant. So, I think Ellison's quote is valid and not ignorant. 
(05-01-2016, 05:51 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:

― Harlan Ellison

This quote is ignorant, in and of itself.  Of course we are all entitled to no not know something.  EVERYONE is "ignorant" on a great many of subjects.  Nobody knows everything.

You are right of course. 

Ignorant: lacking knowledge or awareness in general; uneducated or unsophisticated: he was told constantly that he was ignorant and stupid.

But context is important. Ellison is saying (I think) that an OPINION that is not informed is ignorant. You and I might, for instance, agree that "Jesus Saves" is an ignorant opinion. That we may not know physics does not make us ignorant. And arguing that the world is flat is just plain ignorant. So, I think Ellison's quote is valid and not ignorant. 

No, we do not agree on that point.  But you knew that, and found it exiting to throw in a combined insult and attack on my faith.  Good one! Smiling   You must feel all kinds of superior right now.
Quote:
Quote:You must learn from other people’s mistakes. You can’t possibly live long enough to make them all yourself.”

Sam Levenson
(05-01-2016, 08:22 PM)Someones Dad Wrote:

― Harlan Ellison

You are right of course. 

No, we do not agree on that point.  But you knew that, and found it exiting to throw in a combined insult and attack on my faith.  Good one! Smiling   You must feel all kinds of superior right now.

I feel you have every right to practice the faith you believe in. That I find the statement "Jesus Saves" to be ignorant only expresses my own opinion, but I too am entitled to that conclusion. For some two thousand years millions of folks have agreed with you. I think you are wrong, but since we can't expose it to an empirical test, we will have to disagree. So, I continue to think it's an ignorant opinion, but understand you feel differently. If you feel my comment was an "attack", so be it: Reasonable people often disagree. And no, I don't feel "superior". Only enlightened. You trust in faith, I'll continue to value the evolution of reason and science to explain the world in which we live.
(05-02-2016, 06:55 AM)Wonky3 Wrote:

― Harlan Ellison

You are right of course. 

SNIP -  "And no, I don't feel "superior". Only enlightened."

Laughing  Now that is funny.  You don't even know when you are insulting, do you?

enlightened
(ɪnˈlaɪtənd)
adj
1. factually well-informed, tolerant of alternative opinions, and guided by rational thought: an enlightened administration; enlightened self-interest.
2. privy to or claiming a sense of spiritual or religious revelation of truth: the search for an enlightened spiritual master.
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014

I too, claim to be enlightened......
What does 'Jesus saves' mean. It's a noun and a verb but has no subject.

Was he a pack rat?..

I bet Wonky saves
TV_guy saves
When I go shopping, I like to think I save too.
OK, I googled Jesus saves and got

[Image: b907eab6c00bd4ca028bdfa82c6619dc.jpg]
[Image: jesus-saves.jpg]

[Image: 3CqpaWq.png]

[Image: Jesus-Saves.jpg]

― Harlan Ellison

You are right of course. 

I feel you have every right to practice the faith you believe in. That I find the statement "Jesus Saves" to be ignorant only expresses my own opinion, but I too am entitled to that conclusion. For some two thousand years millions of folks have agreed with you. I think you are wrong, but since we can't expose it to an empirical test, we will have to disagree. So, I continue to think it's an ignorant opinion, but understand you feel differently. If you feel my comment was an "attack", so be it: Reasonable people often disagree. And no, I don't feel "superior". Only enlightened. You trust in faith, I'll continue to value the evolution of reason and science to explain the world in which we live.

Damn Wonk I have to agree with SD here. He's trying to tell you he doesn't agree that "Jesus Saves" is an ignorant opinion like you claimed he would agree with Blink . He said it's not his opinion and you follow that by saying he has a right to practice the faith he believes in?? No kidding?
And then you try and explain why he is wrong and why YOUR opinion is right?
(05-02-2016, 11:35 AM)tvguy Wrote:
(05-01-2016, 10:42 AM)Someones Dad Wrote: This quote is ignorant, in and of itself.  Of course we are all entitled to no not know something.  EVERYONE is "ignorant" on a great many of subjects.  Nobody knows everything.

You are right of course. 

Damn Wonk I have to agree with SD here. He's trying to tell you he doesn't agree that "Jesus Saves" is an ignorant opinion like you claimed he would agree with Blink . He said it's not his opinion and you follow that by saying he has a right to practice the faith he believes in?? No kidding?
Not his opinion?
He said: "No, we do not agree on that point.  But you knew that, and found it exiting to throw in a combined insult and attack on my faith.  Good one! [Image: icon_rvf_smile.gif]   You must feel all kinds of superior right now.
(05-02-2016, 09:56 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(05-01-2016, 05:51 PM)Wonky3 Wrote: You are right of course. 

Not his opinion?
He said: "No, we do not agree on that point.  But you knew that, and found it exiting to throw in a combined insult and attack on my faith.  Good one! [Image: icon_rvf_smile.gif]   You must feel all kinds of superior right now.

Some folks take the critism of faith as an attack on them personally. Too bad, religion gets no pass on open forums like this. And I have the right to critism anything I want. And I especially like critizing religion. 

My guess is Persecution Syndrome.
(05-02-2016, 10:40 PM)cletus1 Wrote:
(05-01-2016, 08:22 PM)Someones Dad Wrote: No, we do not agree on that point.  But you knew that, and found it exiting to throw in a combined insult and attack on my faith.  Good one! Smiling   You must feel all kinds of superior right now.

Not his opinion?

Some folks take the critism of faith as an attack on them personally. Too bad, religion gets no pass on open forums like this. And I have the right to critism anything I want. And I especially like critizing religion. 

I don't know "form Persecution Syndrome": Could be I guess. But, while I feel (and I know you agree) that "Jesus Saves" is an ignorant belief, I do respect Someone's Dad's rebuttal in defending his faith. That I think it's ignorant doesn't close the case...he is a mature man and I respect his act of defending his belief. He and I will just disagree. 

And curious, how this thread evolved. You posted the postiion about "ignorance" that was (of course) valid and on point, and my reply was that our only difference might be "context". Then the comment from SomeOnes Dad, and after that comments that seemed, to me at least, to be contrary to the discussion. SD, DID disagree. 

Somewhere along the line was a disconnect. Me? Maybe...I've been know to be dull, dense, and blind to the flow of discussion before. Not so much this time, I'm thinking.
[Image: Abbot-and-Costello-Field-Image.JPG]
(05-03-2016, 11:05 AM)GPnative Wrote: [Image: Abbot-and-Costello-Field-Image.JPG]

Big Grin Baseball answers ALL questions.
(05-03-2016, 07:31 AM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(05-02-2016, 06:55 AM)Wonky3 Wrote: I feel you have every right to practice the faith you believe in. That I find the statement "Jesus Saves" to be ignorant only expresses my own opinion, but I too am entitled to that conclusion. For some two thousand years millions of folks have agreed with you. I think you are wrong, but since we can't expose it to an empirical test, we will have to disagree. So, I continue to think it's an ignorant opinion, but understand you feel differently. If you feel my comment was an "attack", so be it: Reasonable people often disagree. And no, I don't feel "superior". Only enlightened. You trust in faith, I'll continue to value the evolution of reason and science to explain the world in which we live.

Not his opinion?

I don't know "form Persecution Syndrome": Could be I guess. But, while I feel (and I know you agree) that "Jesus Saves" is an ignorant belief, I do respect Someone's Dad's rebuttal in defending his faith. That I think it's ignorant doesn't close the case...he is a mature man and I respect his act of defending his belief. He and I will just disagree. 

And curious, how this thread evolved. You (WHO IS THIS "YOU" YOU REFER TO?  IT WAS ME, SD) posted the postiion about "ignorance" that was (of course) valid and on point, (THANK YOU FOR CONFIRMING THAT I WAS RIGHT) and my reply was that our only difference might be "context". (SO, YOU THOUGHT YOU WERE RESPONDING TO CLETUS, WHEN YOU SAID "I" MIGHT AGREE WITH YOU THAT JESUS SAVES IS IGNORANT?) Then the comment from SomeOnes Dad, (BECAUSE YOU WERE RESPONDING TO ME, I RESPONDED BACK) and after that comments that seemed, to me at least, to be contrary to the discussion. SD, DID disagree. (I AGREED TO WHAT?)

Somewhere along the line was a disconnect. Me? Maybe...I've been know to be dull, dense, and blind to the flow of discussion before. Not so much this time, I'm thinking.

So much, this time, you were completely lost in the flow of discussion.
(05-03-2016, 06:16 PM)Someones Dad Wrote:
(05-02-2016, 11:35 AM)tvguy Wrote: Damn Wonk I have to agree with SD here. He's trying to tell you he doesn't agree that "Jesus Saves" is an ignorant opinion like you claimed he would agree with Blink . He said it's not his opinion and you follow that by saying he has a right to practice the faith he believes in?? No kidding?
Not his opinion?

And curious, how this thread evolved. You (WHO IS THIS "YOU" YOU REFER TO?  IT WAS ME, SD) posted the postiion about "ignorance" that was (of course) valid and on point, (THANK YOU FOR CONFIRMING THAT I WAS RIGHT) and my reply was that our only difference might be "context". (SO, YOU THOUGHT YOU WERE RESPONDING TO CLETUS, WHEN YOU SAID "I" MIGHT AGREE WITH YOU THAT JESUS SAVES IS IGNORANT?) Then the comment from SomeOnes Dad, (BECAUSE YOU WERE RESPONDING TO ME, I RESPONDED BACK) and after that comments that seemed, to me at least, to be contrary to the discussion. SD, DID disagree. (I AGREED TO WHAT?)

Whatever. Look at it one post at a time.
[Image: positive-quotes-11.jpg]
(05-03-2016, 06:23 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(05-03-2016, 06:16 PM)Someones Dad Wrote:
(05-02-2016, 09:56 PM)Wonky3 Wrote: Not his opinion?

Whatever. Look at it one post at a time.

As should you.  TV got it right.

― Harlan Ellison

You are right of course. 

Who did you think you were talking to here?  Your current post seems to indicate you THOUGHT you were replying to cletus?