Yet another topic about cops/bad guys
It's said, "The devil is is the details". Or, that "God is in the details". 

Boy howdy as Clone (I miss her) was want to say. 

The following story is all about the "details". Only we don't know them. 

A cop approaches a guy in a park who is smoking a joint. We don't know what the cop said, how he approached the guy, or any clear information about the confrontation. We do know the "perp" took the cops flashlight and beat on him with it before taking off. 

I don't know squat about this story other that what was reported. And the reporter did not reveal the details of the conversation the cop had with the perp. Maybe the cop is not allowed to give that information to anyone. 

But I can't help but wonder...I'd bet the cop could have kept this from becoming a violent incident had he used better communication skills and approached this guy differently. AND, this butt-head perp smoking the joint in a public park is also a jerk who no doubt made the cops job really difficult. I hope the find the guy and lock him up. 

When I read it, I just thought about the real difficulty cops have in approaching and dealing with guys like this. I hope the cop used all the skills he used in training and did not "go aggressive" on the guy right off the bat. 

Ah...we live a different times. In "my day" you simply did what the police demanded, and THEN if you felt violated you reported the guy.  That was then...this is now. 

For what it's worth:

From the Mail Tribune, 5/14: 

Ashland police released the name Friday of a man who allegedly punched a police officer in the face May 6 and hit him with the officer’s own flashlight.
David Jon Dickerson, 40, also known as “Auram,” allegedly attacked the officer after being caught smoking marijuana in Lithia Park.
Dickerson is described as white, 6-feettall,between 190 and 200 pounds, with brown hair and green eyes. He has ties to Jackson and Josephine counties, and is believed to still be in the area, authorities say. He is believed to be traveling in a white bus converted from a school bus.
The officer sustained only minor injuries in the attack.Dickerson allegedly fled the scene after the officer fired a stun gun.
A call to Ashland police wasn’t immediately returned Friday. A search of court records showed no prior charges for Dickerson.
Anyone with information about Dickerson’s whereabouts is encouraged to call Ashland police at 541-482-5211, an anonymous tip line at 541-552-2333 or email at
Quote:Boy howdy as Clone (I miss her) was want to say. 

Speaking of Clone... she's been gone 3 years yesterday.   Crying
I believe you mean wont not want.

However, I recognize this guy. Always seemed OK to me. My guess is he's hightailed it to the Applegate or CJ. 
He will have no friends here, for he's increased pressure to do "something" about the street people problem, making everyone's life worse
But I can't help but wonder...I'd bet the cop could have kept this from becoming a violent incident had he used better communication skills and approached this guy differently. AND, this butt-head perp smoking the joint in a public park is also a jerk who no doubt made the cops job really difficult. I hope the find the guy and lock him up.

Yes maybe the cop handled this wrong but I can't understand why you
"betthe cop could have kept this from becoming a violent incident had he used better communication skills and approached this guy differently"

Sure it's possible the cop was dick but I sure as hell wouldn't bet on it being that way. On the contrary If I had to bet I would bet the guy smoking weed in public was the dick.
It sure seems to me like anyone who would get in a fight over a misdemeanor must have something seriously wrong with their attitude or logic.
(05-14-2016, 01:27 PM)tvguy Wrote: But I can't help but wonder...I'd bet the cop could have kept this from becoming a violent incident had he used better communication skills and approached this guy differently. AND, this butt-head perp smoking the joint in a public park is also a jerk who no doubt made the cops job really difficult. I hope the find the guy and lock him up.

"betthe cop could have kept this from becoming a violent incident had he used better communication skills and approached this guy differently"

Sure it's possible the cop was dick but I sure as hell wouldn't bet on it being that way. On the contrary If I had to bet I would bet the guy smoking weed in public was the dick.
It sure seems to me like anyone who would get in a fight over a misdemeanor must have something seriously wrong with their attitude or logic.

Not like it was the 50's and smoking weed would get you twenty.
(05-14-2016, 02:06 PM)chuck white Wrote:
(05-14-2016, 01:27 PM)tvguy Wrote: But I can't help but wonder...I'd bet the cop could have kept this from becoming a violent incident had he used better communication skills and approached this guy differently. AND, this butt-head perp smoking the joint in a public park is also a jerk who no doubt made the cops job really difficult. I hope the find the guy and lock him up.

Or like Texas now Wink

No kidding. Also even before MJ recently became legal smoking it was a misdemeanor.
(05-14-2016, 03:46 PM)tvguy Wrote:

Or like Texas now Wink

No kidding. Also even before MJ recently became legal smoking it was a misdemeanor.

First of all, we don't know what the conversation was like before things got violent. But we do know it got ugly.

And the comments above only reinforce my curiosity about the cop's behavior. It IS common these days to see folks in public smoking MJ. If the cop "came on strong" he was ignoring his training to do everything possible to avoid escalating the situation. But again, we don't know. For all we know, the perp got stupid and went wacko the minute the cop said something.

Again, we don't know. But until we do TVg, we can't assume the cop handled this thing well any more than we can assume the perp was fully to blame. There has been just too many recent examples of cops who behave with far too much hostility. I hope the details of this thing becomes public. 

BBQ. Right your are...should have been won't. (I type faster than I think. And, I don't type all that fast  Embarrassed )
The guy could have been an ass hole to begin with. Problem is they let anybody smoke weed, so when an asshole smokes weed and does something assholish, the weed gets the blame.
(05-14-2016, 06:55 PM)chuck white Wrote: The guy could have been an ass hole to begin with. Problem is they let anybody smoke weed, so when an asshole smokes weed and does something assholish, the weed gets the blame.

Who said they let anybody smoke weed at Lilith park? I don't think so because I have heard numerous people complain about pot smoke around their children in the park.
(05-14-2016, 05:43 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:

Or like Texas now Wink

First of all, we don't know what the conversation was like before things got violent. But we do know it got ugly.

And the comments above only reinforce my curiosity about the cop's behavior. It IS common these days to see folks in public smoking MJ. If the cop "came on strong" he was ignoring his training to do everything possible to avoid escalating the situation. But again, we don't know. For all we know, the perp got stupid and went wacko the minute the cop said something.

Again, we don't know. But until we do TVg, we can't assume the cop handled this thing well any more than we can assume the perp was fully to blame. There has been just too many recent examples of cops who behave with far too much hostility. I hope the details of this thing becomes public. 

BBQ. Right your are...should have been won't. (I type faster than I think. And, I don't type all that fast  Embarrassed )

Wonky YOU said you would BET the cop handled it wrong. So why now all explaining to ME what we don't really know what happened?

I said If I had to bet I would bet the guy smoking weed in public was the dick. Smiling
(05-14-2016, 07:48 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(05-14-2016, 06:55 PM)chuck white Wrote: The guy could have been an ass hole to begin with. Problem is they let anybody smoke weed, so when an asshole smokes weed and does something assholish, the weed gets the blame.

Who said they let anybody smoke weed at Lilith park? I don't think so because I have heard numerous people complain about pot smoke around their children in the park.

Yea, when I was just a child, people used to complain about the pot smoke around us too. (we tried to hide it)
(05-14-2016, 07:51 PM)tvguy Wrote:

Or like Texas now Wink

Wonky YOU said you would BET the cop handled it wrong. So why now all explaining to ME what we don't really know what happened?

I said If I had to bet I would bet the guy smoking weed in public was the dick. Smiling
What I actualy said was "But I can't help but wonder...I'd bet the cop could have kept this from becoming a violent incident had he used better communication skills and approached this guy differently. AND, this butt-head perp smoking the joint in a public park is also a jerk who no doubt made the cops job really difficult. I hope the find the guy and lock him up. 

Handled it WRONG is not what I implied. Handled it BETTER is what I suggested. But we willl most likely never know. Some police can, and do, often approach people in ways that cause hostility. The news proves the point. 

TVg, you're a stand-up guy, but dear god you parse things closely.  Smiling
(05-14-2016, 08:52 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(05-14-2016, 02:06 PM)chuck white Wrote: Not like it was the 50's and smoking weed would get you twenty.
Or like Texas now Wink

What I actualy said was "But I can't help but wonder...I'd bet the cop could have  kept this from becoming a violent incident had he used better communication skills and approached this guy differently. AND, this butt-head perp smoking the joint in a public park is also a jerk who no doubt made the cops job really difficult. I hope the find the guy and lock him up. 

Handled it WRONG is not what I implied. Handled it BETTER is what I suggested. But we willl most likely never know. Some police can, and do, often approach people in ways that cause hostility. The news proves the point. 

I think you're missing your own verb.  Which gives credence to tvguy's parsing.  You already JUDGED the cop.
(05-14-2016, 09:34 PM)Someones Dad Wrote:
(05-14-2016, 03:46 PM)tvguy Wrote: Or like Texas now Wink

What I actualy said was "But I can't help but wonder...I'd bet the cop could have  kept this from becoming a violent incident had he used better communication skills and approached this guy differently. AND, this butt-head perp smoking the joint in a public park is also a jerk who no doubt made the cops job really difficult. I hope the find the guy and lock him up. 

I think you're missing your own verb.  Which gives credence to tvguy's parsing.  You already JUDGED the cop.
I guess I did. Poor choice of words that didn't quite express my feelings about all this. I wish I had not used the word "bet" and phrased this thing differently. 
What remains is we dont' know the facts of the initial conversation between the policeman and the pot smoker. In light of all the media attention the police have been subjected to, I know they (most at least) have been training in ways to not allow interactions to escalate unnecessary. 
In short, I was just wondering how the cop may have approached the low-life butt head, and if there was any chance the policeman may have not applied the training he has received, if in fact he has had training. 
Whatever. It was only a curious  observation and I didn't mean to suggest the policeman was more at fault thay the pot smoker. 

We may never know.
(05-15-2016, 09:32 AM)This happenedWonky3 Wrote:
(05-14-2016, 05:43 PM)Wonky3 Wrote: First of all, we don't know what the conversation was like before things got violent. But we do know it got ugly.

I guess I did. Poor choice of words that didn't quite express my feelings about all this. I wish I had not used the word "bet" and phrased this thing differently. 
What remains is we dont' know the facts of the initial conversation between the policeman and the pot smoker. In light of all the media attention the police have been subjected to, I know they (most at least) have been training in ways to not allow interactions to escalate unnecessary. 
In short, I was just wondering how the cop may have approached the low-life butt head, and if there was any chance the policeman may have not applied the training he has received, if in fact he has had training. 
Whatever. It was only a curious  observation and I didn't mean to suggest the policeman was more at fault thay the pot smoker. 

We may never know.

Big Grin Yeah we probably won't ever know. But one thing we know. This guy who punched a cop who has no criminal history will sure as hell have one now.
As a convicted felon.
He may have done something he deeply regrets OR he'll go the other route like so many do today. Place the blame on someone else by rationalizing that somehow it wasn't his fault.
It seem to be the new American way.

I have a neighbor who's dogs were is constantly running loose.They would be running up and down the street at night and making my dog bark and waking me up at all hours.
This happened several times( I bet about 10 times) until I finally called animal control.
Animal control came out and the neighbor's gave up the mother dog and it's pup because they had no licenses and no shots.

A couple or weeks later they now have a new dog and it's loose over and over and over and at my house at all hours.
So the neighbor guy catches me throwing a stick at his dog trying to make it go home and he flips me off.

A couple of days later I drive by his house and he calls me an asshole. So I got out and asked him what his problem was. He threatened to catch me somewhere and beat my ass. So I told him what I thought about a tough guy who wants to beat up a 64 year old man and how he could end up DEAD.
Next my wife goes and talks to the guys wife and explained that all this is unnecessary and won't end well.

So after the dog is loose AGAIN at least 6 more times I called animal control. So  few days later the girl flags me down and starts to lecture me that people make mistakes and do I think I'm perfect.
I couldn't get a word in and said if you won't allow me to speak I'm leaving. She said she wouldn't because she had no respect for me.
So I drove off. Three days later, This morning their dog was in my yard and woke me up at the crack of dawn.

I have a photo of their dog MY yard. I'm not sure what I'll do at this point. If I call animal control again I think the kids might lose their pet.
My entire point here is that.. I'll bet you anything that these people STILL think I am the bad guy.
(05-15-2016, 01:55 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(05-15-2016, 09:32 AM)This happenedWonky3 Wrote:
(05-14-2016, 07:51 PM)tvguy Wrote: Wonky YOU said you would BET the cop handled it wrong. So why now all explaining to ME what we don't really know what happened?

We may never know.

Big Grin Yeah we probably won't ever know. But one thing we know. This guy who punched a cop who has no criminal history will sure as hell have one now.
As a convicted felon.
He may have done something he deeply regrets OR he'll go the other route like so many do today. Place the blame on someone else by rationalizing that somehow it wasn't his fault.

I have a neighbor who's dogs were is constantly running loose.They would be running up and down the street at night and making my dog bark and waking me up at all hours.
This happened several times( I bet about 10 times) until I finally called animal control.
Animal control came out and the neighbor's gave up the mother dog and it's pup because they had no licenses and no shots.

A couple or weeks later they now have a new dog and it's loose over and over and over  and at my house at all hours.
So the neighbor guy catches me throwing a stick at his dog trying to make it go home and he flips me off.

A couple of days later I drive by his house and he calls me an asshole. So I got out and asked him what his problem was. He threatened to catch me somewhere and beat my ass. So I told him what I thought about a tough guy who wants to beat up a 64 year old man and how he could end up DEAD.
Next my wife goes and talks to the guys wife and explained that all this is unnecessary and won't end well.

So after the dog is loose AGAIN at least 6 more times I called animal control. So  few days later the girl flags me down and starts to lecture me that people make mistakes and do I think I'm perfect.
I couldn't get a word in and said if you won't allow me to speak I'm leaving. She said she wouldn't because she had no respect for me.
So I drove off. Three days later, This morning their dog was in my yard and woke me up at the crack of dawn.

I have a photo of their dog MY yard. I'm not sure what I'll do at this point. If I call animal control again I think the kids might lose their pet.
My entire point here is that.. I'll bet you anything that these people STILL think I am the bad guy.

Back in California, my neighbor's dog would sneak over to our yard, when I was cleaning abalone. We would feed him the guts. Dogs will eat about anything. I'm sure that the dog barf it back up and had the foulest breath when he went home.
(05-15-2016, 03:08 PM)chuck white Wrote: Back in California, my neighbor's dog would sneak over to our yard, when I was cleaning abalone. We would feed him the guts. Dogs will eat about anything. I'm sure that the dog barf it back up and had the foulest breath when he went home.

Laughing Laughing
Men in Blue
http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index...ncart_2box

silence: 'He screwed up and shot his friend'

1 / 24
Portland Police Chief Larry O'Dea, center, when was sworn in January 8, 2015, in a ceremony at the Portland Building. Beth Nakamura/Staff
Beth Nakamura | The Oregonian/OregonLive
Maxine Bernstein | The Oregonian/OregonLive By Maxine Bernstein | The Oregonian/OregonLive
Email the author | Follow on Twitter
on May 23, 2016 at 5:00 AM, updated May 23, 2016 at 7:17 AM

shares
The decision by Portland Police Chief Larry O'Dea and the mayor to keep the chief's off-duty shooting of a friend during a hunting trip under wraps for almost a month has rankled current and retired Portland officers, who contend that anyone else would face immediate investigation and remain on paid leave or desk duty in the meantime.

"I wonder if he will be assigned to TRU,'' just-retired Portland Officer John Hurlman posted on his Facebook page. He was referring to the Police Bureau's Telephone Reporting Unit, basically the holding spot for officers under investigation.

Hurlman was removed from street patrol and placed on desk duty in November after supervisors learned he had written a Twitter message complaining that he'd be stuck late at work "to babysit these fools,'' referring to a planned Black Lives Matter march.

"I just sent a tweet. At least I didn't shoot my friend in the back,'' Hurlman wrote in his post.
(05-14-2016, 07:51 PM)tvguy Wrote: Wonky YOU said you would BET the cop handled it wrong. So why now all explaining to ME what we don't really know what happened?

We may never know.

As a convicted felon.

A couple or weeks later they now have a new dog and it's loose over and over and over  and at my house at all hours.

You're neighbor seems to be a low life, scum sucking, shit talking asshole. What you need to do is nothing. Call my friends at Behavior Modification Inc. They simply take a photo of the future victim and that's it. They like beating the shit out of people like that. In fact, they like beating the crap out of anyone and for no reason.  Big Grin
(05-23-2016, 09:40 AM)cletus1 Wrote:
(05-14-2016, 08:52 PM)Wonky3 Wrote: What I actualy said was "But I can't help but wonder...I'd bet the cop could have  kept this from becoming a violent incident had he used better communication skills and approached this guy differently. AND, this butt-head perp smoking the joint in a public park is also a jerk who no doubt made the cops job really difficult. I hope the find the guy and lock him up. 

We may never know.

As a convicted felon.

You're neighbor seems to be a low life, scum sucking, shit talking asshole. What you need to do is nothing. Call my friends at Behavior Modification Inc. They simply take a photo of the future victim and that's it. They like beating the shit out of people like that. In fact, they like beating the crap out of anyone and for no reason.  Big Grin

Big Grin Unfortunately What we have here are people who won't accept responsibility for their own actions. Instead they rationalize. I have friends who do the same thing about their landlord another about his doctors.

I know I sound like a conservative but what can I say? I admit many of the things they say are very true.