Dead Space
This space is dying. Fewer people contribute to our forum than ever, and there is little reason to think that if may come back to it's previous "glory". 

I'm wonderering why. And, wondering if the few of us remaining would like to post at least three reasons we suspect the forum membership drying up. 

I'll start. 
  • The loss of continuity in posted Topics..."jumping the tracks" to divert attention away from the Topic being discussed. 
  • Vitriolic, vulgar, and personal attacks.
  • Extreme polarization in expressing political/social views. 
Too many Dead Space threads?  Razz We just rehashed this last month. I think Tia and TV  covered it best then.
(06-18-2016, 08:52 AM)Wonky3 Wrote: This space is dying. Fewer people contribute to our forum than ever, and there is little reason to think that if may come back to it's previous "glory". 

I'm wonderering why. And, wondering if the few of us remaining would like to post at least three reasons we suspect the forum membership drying up. 

I'll start. 
  • The loss of continuity in posted Topics..."jumping the tracks" to divert attention away from the Topic being discussed. 

The biggest reason is that you don't post enough controversial topics that I can argue with you about. Don't run from the vitriol, help cause some by being very sure about things and share opinions you know most people don't agree with.

We come here to fight. We have to disagree in order to fight. Embrace the space.
(06-18-2016, 08:52 AM)Wonky3 Wrote: This space is dying. Fewer people contribute to our forum than ever, and there is little reason to think that if may come back to it's previous "glory". 

I'll start. 

The loss of continuity in posted Topics..."jumping the tracks" to divert attention away from the Topic being discussed.

I'm amazed that anyone actually thinks that would drive people away. Anyone wanting to comment on the topic can still do so even if someone commits the Wonky sin of talking about something else.

Extreme polarization in expressing political/social views. "

That might run off a couple of thin skinned pansies But there has NEVER been a time in the last decade when we didn't have exactly what Wonky said above.
As a matter of fact the place was booming when we had that crazy bastard Jesus Christ AKA Ham sandwich.
This was completely predictable.

Maybe that's why Wonky does it? That, or his memory only lasts about three weeks.   Razz

Anyway, have at it.
Facebook
Twitter
Instagram or possibly tinder, if that's how you roll
(06-18-2016, 01:41 PM)GPnative Wrote: Facebook
Twitter
Instagram or possibly tinder, if that's how you roll

You may be onto something. "Social Media", that is world wide seems to trump local stuff. 

I think we can put a fork in the RVF. Unless of course, we actually want, as has been suggested, the kind of argument that proves nothing, causes turmoil that runs amuck, and content that is about as lame as a Donald Trump reality show. 

Maybe we need to return to Miracle Whip vs. Best Foods.  Wink
I propose an experiment. Kam, give Wonky 100% control of this site.

Then lets wager on much faster it dies completely. I give it a week.
I've been home sick since last Monday evening.  I am at the point of being sick of being sick.  So, this may not be a good time for me to give my thoughts on the subject.  But... WTF?!?!  Here goes...

I am so tired of the same old, tired, bullshit by the same old, tired, bullshitters like SFLib, OL, Tornado... and some times even Larry or who ever he is right now... Hugo?  WTFever.

Some times I'll read something and I'll start to type a reply... and then I think... Why?  Why bother?  No one really gives a shit.

I'm pretty sure you get my drift.

On a side note... 189 days until Christmas.  In case I forget, or this place is gone... Merry Christmas. 

Neutral
Facebook
Lack of "entertaining" posters
and...oh, yeah...I have a LIFE!
(06-18-2016, 09:19 AM)Valuesize Wrote: Too many Dead Space threads?  Razz We just rehashed this last month. I think Tia and TV  covered it best then.

Yep

http://www.roguevalleyforum.com/forum/sh...?tid=17757
(06-18-2016, 05:49 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(06-18-2016, 09:19 AM)Valuesize Wrote: Too many Dead Space threads?  Razz We just rehashed this last month. I think Tia and TV  covered it best then.

Yep

So, ya think this would be the FIRST time we revisited a subject?  Laughing
(06-19-2016, 09:08 AM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(06-18-2016, 05:49 PM)tvguy Wrote:

Yep

So, ya think this would be the FIRST time we revisited a subject?  Laughing

No I just wondered if you even saw the other thread. It's several pages so I didn't look to see if you commented.
Still, curious that most folks here from time to time have noted that the forum is drying up but that no one has offered any suggestions about ways to change so that we might attract more people.
(06-19-2016, 12:10 PM)Wonky3 Wrote: Still, curious that most folks here from time to time have noted that the forum is drying up but that no one has offered any suggestions about ways to change so that we might attract more people.

Mention free stuff. That will bring 'em if anything will.
(06-19-2016, 12:10 PM)Wonky3 Wrote: Still, curious that most folks here from time to time have noted that the forum is drying up but that no one has offered any suggestions about ways to change so that we might attract more people.

You can't attract people unless you INVITE people.  Or I guess that's the same thing Smiling.I invited several people. If you read the link I posted about the same subject or your thread you would have seen that I did indeed offer suggestions.

I hand picked several people I thought were interesting and had great points on different issues. No, not all left wingers.

Not one decided to post here. Most told me they didn't need another reason to be on the internet. What they meant was OTHER than FB.
And the truth is that this place is boring and you can comment on a few threads and then you are done. The threads on FB are endless.

Tia pointed out that ALL forums are gone or dried up. Not just this one. But go ahead and blame it all on behavior.
I'll have to confess up front, I'm not on FB, I don't tweet and I'm afraid I don't even know all the rest of the new meeting/discussion places that I'm not a part of. I imagine they're all kind of like the comments section on the news pages, lots of noise but nothing ever gets anywhere.

This place seems to be more like the counter at the neighborhood tavern. Except for the smoke, drinks, pinball and pool, the bad sound system, broken TV and the drunks. Well, usually the drunks. Come to think of it it's not really much like the tavern. It's more like the cafe in a small town that all the locals drop into at some point in their day.

I don't think we solve anything here either, in these discussions. But, we get to know what other people think about things. Some of us might let that influence our own thought a little. Not enough to change our opinion usually but, influence us over time just a bit. Don't worry I don't expect anyone to agree with that.

What I'm doing a rather poor job of saying is, I don't really care about all the people who are not flocking to this forum. I come here for the people that do show up. If others drop in, fine. If they stay a while, better. If they decide to stay away, I don't care. I'm not getting sappy. You aren't my family, you're just folks I know.

In the end, this is just our little corner of the dinner. When folks die or move away or just stop showing up, it's over.
(06-19-2016, 03:06 PM)Cuzz Wrote: I'll have to confess up front, I'm not on FB, I don't tweet and I'm afraid I don't even know all the rest of the new meeting/discussion places that I'm not a part of. I imagine they're all kind of like the comments section on the news pages, lots of noise but nothing ever gets anywhere.

This place seems to be more like the counter at the neighborhood tavern. Except for the smoke, drinks, pinball and pool, the bad sound system, broken TV and the drunks. Well, usually the drunks. Come to think of it it's not really much like the tavern. It's more like the cafe in a small town that all the locals drop into at some point in their day.

I don't think we solve anything here either, in these discussions. But, we get to know what other people think about things. Some of us might let that influence our own thought a little. Not enough to change our opinion usually but, influence us over time just a bit. Don't worry I don't expect anyone to agree with that.

What I'm doing a rather poor job of saying is, I don't really care about all the people who are not flocking to this forum. I come here for the people that do show up. If others drop in, fine. If they stay a while, better. If they decide to stay away, I don't care. I'm not getting sappy. You aren't my family, you're just folks I know.

In the end, this is just our little corner of the dinner. When folks die or move away or just stop showing up, it's over.

Very well said!  Kudos!  And... I agree 100%!   Thumbs Up

Edited to add:  I agree, but not with the part about not doing FB or Twitter or any of that... cuz I do!  Big Grin
[Image: barcode.gif][Image: barcode.gif]

Just print some of these and leave around for smart phones to scan.
(06-19-2016, 05:06 PM)chuck white Wrote: [Image: barcode.gif][Image: barcode.gif]

Just print some of these and leave around for smart phones to scan.

I don't have a smart phone. What does it say?