My Stupid Democratic Friends in the House
This is far too much like a tantrum. The Democrats in the House know full well that when this comes to a vote it will not pass. Making a "statement"? Another example of disfunction in government and this time by the party I usually vote for. Enough already. Until our society as a whole is ready to find answers to avoid mass killings, we are pissing into the wind. 

Excerpt for todays (6/23) MT:

By Matthew Daly
The Associated Press
WASHINGTON — Rebellious Democrats staged an extraordinary all-day sit-in on the House floor Wednesday to demand votes on gun-control bills, shouting down Speaker Paul Ryan when he attempted to restore order as their protest stretched into the night.

Edit: I'm embarrased that I didn't notice we already have a Topic about this: I should have posted it there. 
(06-23-2016, 08:39 AM)Wonky3 Wrote: This is far too much like a tantrum. The Democrats in the House know full well that when this comes to a vote it will not pass. Making a "statement"? Another example of disfunction in government and this time by the party I usually vote for. Enough already. Until our society as a whole is ready to find answers to avoid mass killings, we are pissing into the wind. 

By Matthew Daly
The Associated Press
WASHINGTON — Rebellious Democrats staged an extraordinary all-day sit-in on the House floor Wednesday to demand votes on gun-control bills, shouting down Speaker Paul Ryan when he attempted to restore order as their protest stretched into the night.

Did you see any of the protest on TV?
(06-23-2016, 09:01 AM)cletus1 Wrote:
(06-23-2016, 08:39 AM)Wonky3 Wrote: This is far too much like a tantrum. The Democrats in the House know full well that when this comes to a vote it will not pass. Making a "statement"? Another example of disfunction in government and this time by the party I usually vote for. Enough already. Until our society as a whole is ready to find answers to avoid mass killings, we are pissing into the wind. 

By Matthew Daly
The Associated Press

No. Would I have learned something I didn't by reading? Or, are you just curious to know if I watch TV.  Laughing
(06-23-2016, 09:24 AM)Wonky3 Wrote:

By Matthew Daly
The Associated Press

No. Would I have learned something I didn't by reading? Or, are you just curious to know if I watch TV.  Laughing

A video is worth a thousand words. It is clean and and CAN be much less tainted then written articles. You can see facial expressions, body language and hear tone of voice. So yes, IMO you would have learned more if you had seen it in a video format. 

I also disagree with you opinion on the sit in. First, you don't have to be assured of accomplishing anything before you engage in it. This stunt will bring more attention to the problem and therefore accomplished plenty.
(06-23-2016, 10:22 AM)cletus1 Wrote:

By Matthew Daly
The Associated Press

A video is worth a thousand words. It is clean and and CAN be much less tainted then written articles. You can see facial expressions, body language and hear tone of voice. So yes, IMO you would have learned more if you had seen it in a video format. 

I also disagree with you opinion on the sit in. First, you don't have to assured of accomplishing anything before you engage in it. This stunt will bring more attention to the problem and therefore accomplished plenty.

A picture is worth a thousand words Cletus. A video is tens of thousands of pictures linked together.So...

Wonky has used the fact that I watch and like reality/documentary TV as a means to denigrate me. I remember being told that the human mind is always better at imagining something when you read so reading is somehow better than SEEING?
That is a load of crap.

Anyway I went to Youtbe... One of the if not the single best things about the internet. I was going to post some amazing video and I ended up watching Joe Bonamassa for a half an hour LOL
(06-23-2016, 11:51 AM)tvguy Wrote:

By Matthew Daly
The Associated Press

I also disagree with you opinion on the sit in. First, you don't have to assured of accomplishing anything before you engage in it. This stunt will bring more attention to the problem and therefore accomplished plenty.

A picture is worth a thousand words Cletus. A video is tens of thousands of pictures linked together.So...

Wonky has used the fact that I watch and like reality/documentary TV as a means to denigrate me. I remember being told that the human mind is always better at imagining something when you read so reading is somehow better than SEEING?
That is a load of crap.

Anyway I went to Youtbe... One of the if not the single best things about the internet. I was going to post some amazing video and I ended up watching Joe Bonamassa for a half an hour LOL

Yes I know the phrase is actually "a picture is worth a thousand words." I changed it up to make my point. I like your simple multiplication example for thousand pictures. Wonk has a lot of reading to do.  Big Grin  Personally, I prefer photo journalism, which is now mostly done with video cameras to long winded articles. 

I think Wonky knows that people are under informed so he suggests reading. It certainly can't hurt to read more, but I think video news is better and often more informative than articles. I know 
Wonk doesn't agree, but there is a hint of news snobbery in his attitude. No offense Wonk.
(06-23-2016, 01:16 PM)cletus1 Wrote:
(06-23-2016, 09:01 AM)cletus1 Wrote: Did you see any of the protest on TV?

That is a load of crap.

Yes I know the phrase is actually "a picture is worth a thousand words." I changed it up to make my point. I like your simple multiplication example for thousand pictures. Wonk has a lot of reading to do.  Big Grin  Personally, I prefer photo journalism, which is now mostly done with video cameras to long winded articles. 

I think Wonky knows that people are under informed so he suggests reading. It certainly can't hurt to read more, but I think video news is better and often more informative than articles. I know 
Wonk doesn't agree, but there is a hint of news snobbery in his attitude. No offense Wonk.
No offense taken, Clete. 
But the REAL issue here is not READING or SEEING what happened. My point was (an remains) that the Democrats were pisssing into the wind in stageing any kind of demonstation to promote ANY kind of gun control. It simple is not going to happen and I did not need to see this behavior to come to that conclusion. The make-up of our congress is such that any gun legislation is doomed. Maybe at a later time, in a different congress...
One can hope. 

A note to TVg (hoping you are following). I have never said all TV is worthless, without merit, or a waste of time. I have said that A LOT of TV is stupid mind numbing trash. I watch a lot of documentaries (mosty on Netflix and FRONTLINE on PBS). I also like comedy (I admit without shame that I miss "Two and Half Men) and have seen some really great series stuff on TV. (The Wire, maybe my favorite). BUT...I simply can't imagine life without reading a varitey of things, and for each hour of TV watching I spend many more hours of reading. An example: In this weeks issue of The New Yorker there is an excellent (in my view) article titled "Making a Killing", a provocative and informative read about guns in our society. You (or me) may not agree with the tone, but it's well done and worth the time necessary to read. Proof that nothing is ever simply black or white. 

So yes, without seeing the pictures I feel my Democratic leaders in our congress were wasting time and only add fuel to the fire about we Democrats who "want to take away your guns".
(06-23-2016, 06:31 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(06-23-2016, 09:24 AM)Wonky3 Wrote: No. Would I have learned something I didn't by reading? Or, are you just curious to know if I watch TV.  Laughing

That is a load of crap.

No offense taken, Clete. 
But the REAL issue here is not READING or SEEING what happened. My point was (an remains) that the Democrats were pisssing into the wind in stageing any kind of demonstation to promote ANY kind of gun control. It simple is not going to happen and I did not need to see this behavior to come to that conclusion. The make-up of our congress is such that any gun legislation is doomed. Maybe at a later time, in a different congress...
One can hope. 

A note to TVg (hoping you are following). I have never said all TV is worthless, without merit, or a waste of time. I have said that A LOT of TV is stupid mind numbing trash. I watch a lot of documentaries (mosty on Netflix and FRONTLINE on PBS). I also like comedy (I admit without shame that I miss "Two and Half Men) and have seen some really great series stuff on TV. (The Wire, maybe my favorite). BUT...I simply can't imagine life without reading a varitey of things, and I for each hour of TV watching I spend many more hours of reading. An example: In this weeks issue of The New Yorker there is an excellent (in my view) article titled "Making a Killing", a provocative and informative read about guns in our society. You (or me) may not agree with the tone, but it's well done and worth the time necessary to read. Proof that nothing is ever simply black or white. 

So yes, without seeing the pictures I feel my Democratic leaders in our congress were wasting time and only add fuel to the fire about we Democrats who "want to take away your guns".

They weren't demonstrating for the Republicans. They were demonstrating for their own supporters. They accomplished what they considered they could.

Nothing they do, or don't do, will change the perception of the gun nuts or the radical right. Hell, even the less radical right doesn't believe a Democrat can support gun ownership.
(06-23-2016, 09:24 AM)Wonky3 Wrote: No. Would I have learned something I didn't by reading? Or, are you just curious to know if I watch TV.  Laughing

That is a load of crap.

No offense taken, Clete. 
One can hope. 

A note to TVg (hoping you are following). I have never said all TV is worthless, without merit, or a waste of time. I have said that A LOT of TV is stupid mind numbing trash. I watch a lot of documentaries (mosty on Netflix and FRONTLINE on PBS). I also like comedy (I admit without shame that I miss "Two and Half Men) and have seen some really great series stuff on TV. (The Wire, maybe my favorite). BUT...I simply can't imagine life without reading a varitey of things, and for each hour of TV watching I spend many more hours of reading. An example: In this weeks issue of The New Yorker there is an excellent (in my view) article titled "Making a Killing", a provocative and informative read about guns in our society. You (or me) may not agree with the tone, but it's well done and worth the time necessary to read. Proof that nothing is ever simply black or white. 

Do you even realize when you admit to wanting to take away a basic freedom guaranteed by the Constitution?  No.  No you don't.
(06-23-2016, 06:49 PM)Cuzz Wrote:
(06-23-2016, 10:22 AM)cletus1 Wrote: A video is worth a thousand words. It is clean and and CAN be much less tainted then written articles. You can see facial expressions, body language and hear tone of voice. So yes, IMO you would have learned more if you had seen it in a video format. 

That is a load of crap.

No offense taken, Clete. 
One can hope. 

A note to TVg (hoping you are following). I have never said all TV is worthless, without merit, or a waste of time. I have said that A LOT of TV is stupid mind numbing trash. I watch a lot of documentaries (mosty on Netflix and FRONTLINE on PBS). I also like comedy (I admit without shame that I miss "Two and Half Men) and have seen some really great series stuff on TV. (The Wire, maybe my favorite). BUT...I simply can't imagine life without reading a varitey of things, and I for each hour of TV watching I spend many more hours of reading. An example: In this weeks issue of The New Yorker there is an excellent (in my view) article titled "Making a Killing", a provocative and informative read about guns in our society. You (or me) may not agree with the tone, but it's well done and worth the time necessary to read. Proof that nothing is ever simply black or white. 

They weren't demonstrating for the Republicans. They were demonstrating for their own supporters. They accomplished what they considered they could.

Nothing they do, or don't do, will change the perception of the gun nuts or the radical right. Hell, even the less radical right doesn't believe a Democrat can support gun ownership.

If a Democrat supports gun ownership, they CAN NOT vote for Hillary, unless they simply don't believe her own words, or are just fucking stupid.
(06-23-2016, 07:02 PM)Hugo Wrote:
(06-23-2016, 10:22 AM)cletus1 Wrote: A video is worth a thousand words. It is clean and and CAN be much less tainted then written articles. You can see facial expressions, body language and hear tone of voice. So yes, IMO you would have learned more if you had seen it in a video format. 

That is a load of crap.

No offense taken, Clete. 
One can hope. 

Do you even realize when you admit to wanting to take away a basic freedom guaranteed by the Constitution?  No.  No you don't.

As usual, your level of compression is below water. 

Did you notice the quotation marks about Democrats who "want to take away your guns". I most always vote Democrat (but not always). I DON'T want to take away your guns. I'm aware that it's a mantra of many (most?) Democrats to attempt to enforce gun control. I have some reservations about rapid fire high volume magazine (clip) rifles, but have no desire to take away your guns. 

My comment about "one can only hope" is that I DO think we need some protection for those kind of rapid fire guns I mentioned above. If you feel that violates the 2nd amendment, then we have an argument. The supreme court seems to agree with you, so for now as least I will lose. But I can HOPE for the changes I mentioned. 

Clear? I want you to keep you guns. I HOPE (only hope) we can someday restrict those kind of guns that these nut jobs use to kill lots of people in so little time.
(06-23-2016, 07:04 PM)Hugo Wrote:
(06-23-2016, 11:51 AM)tvguy Wrote: A picture is worth a thousand words Cletus. A video is tens of thousands of pictures linked together.So...

That is a load of crap.

No offense taken, Clete. 
One can hope. 

If a Democrat supports gun ownership, they CAN NOT vote for Hillary, unless they simply don't believe her own words, or are just fucking stupid.

Says you. Many thinking people don't vote based on one single issue. There are a lot of issues in contention in any election. As for if their "fucking stupid", I could say the same for anyone believing Trump.

How do you decide what he really intends to do?   <-( that's not just a rhetorical question. I'd like to know.)
(06-23-2016, 08:44 PM)Cuzz Wrote:
(06-23-2016, 07:04 PM)Hugo Wrote:
(06-23-2016, 01:16 PM)cletus1 Wrote: Yes I know the phrase is actually "a picture is worth a thousand words." I changed it up to make my point. I like your simple multiplication example for thousand pictures. Wonk has a lot of reading to do.  Big Grin  Personally, I prefer photo journalism, which is now mostly done with video cameras to long winded articles. 

No offense taken, Clete. 
One can hope. 

Says you. Many thinking people don't vote based on one single issue. There are a lot of issues in contention in any election. As for if their "fucking stupid", I could say the same for anyone believing Trump.

How do you decide what he really intends to do?   <-( that's not just a rhetorical question. I'd like to know.)
Yes.

And as everyone here knows... I am a registered Democrat. But I am an American first and foremost... I believe it is my right as an American to bear arms. I don't vote Democrat across the line. I vote on many different issues and those that come nearest to my beliefs on those issues. My husband is a registered Republican, but votes on issues as well.

Posted via Tapatalk
I certainly don't vote with guns in mind. I vote for a canidate based on things like support for individual rights and freedoms. I vote for canidates that want prosperity for the middle class and providing an opportunity to the poor to help them get out of poverty or near poverty by increasing the minimum wage. I vote for canidates that support women's rights and equal pay. I vote for canidates open to communication instead of bullying and I think conflict with other nations should be a last resort. I vote for canidates that support science. I oppose accepting bullshit as science. I vote for the canidates that try to protect the environment. I vote for canidates that that support regulations that keep our water,  food and other products safe. I vote for canidates that try to keep big business from cheating us and prospering at our expense. I vote Democrat.
(06-23-2016, 10:02 PM)cletus1 Wrote: I certainly don't vote with guns in mind. I vote for a canidate based on things like support for individual rights and freedoms. I vote for canidates that want prosperity for the middle class and providing an opportunity to the poor to help them get out of poverty or near poverty by increasing the minimum wage. I vote for canidates that support women's rights and equal pay. I vote for canidates open to communication instead of bullying and I think conflict with other nations should be a last resort. I vote for canidates that support science. I oppose accepting bullshit as science. I vote for the canidates that try to protect the environment. I vote for canidates that that support regulations that keep our water,  food and other products safe. I vote for canidates that try to keep big business from cheating us and prospering at our expense. I vote Democrat.

Contradiction.
(06-24-2016, 06:42 AM)Hugo Wrote:
(06-23-2016, 10:02 PM)cletus1 Wrote: I certainly don't vote with guns in mind. I vote for a canidate based on things like support for individual rights and freedoms. I vote for canidates that want prosperity for the middle class and providing an opportunity to the poor to help them get out of poverty or near poverty by increasing the minimum wage. I vote for canidates that support women's rights and equal pay. I vote for canidates open to communication instead of bullying and I think conflict with other nations should be a last resort. I vote for canidates that support science. I oppose accepting bullshit as science. I vote for the canidates that try to protect the environment. I vote for canidates that that support regulations that keep our water,  food and other products safe. I vote for canidates that try to keep big business from cheating us and prospering at our expense. I vote Democrat.

Contradiction.

Only in your mind. Did you know that 85% of Americans support keeping people on the no fly list from obtaining guns and 92% support increased background checks? In your black and white, all or nothing world, you apparently can't grasp that people can support the rights of individuals to own guns while trying to make them harder for dangerous people to get. 

Some people, including yourself, think supporting individual rights is contradictory with voting Democrat, all while you want to take away a woman's right to make her own reproductive choices. Some of you even go further by wanting to deny people born in this country citizenship because they are the children of undocumented immigrants. You are not a champion of freedom, you are far from it. And you are even further from being a strict constitutionalist.
If 85% of Americans support keeping people on the no fly list from obtaining guns, than they have no idea what the 'no-fly' list is and how one get put on it.
Hell, I don't know how one gets put on it.
(06-24-2016, 07:55 AM)cletus1 Wrote:

Contradiction.

Only in your mind. Did you know that 85% of Americans support keeping people on the no fly list from obtaining guns and 92% support increased background checks? In your black and white, all or nothing world, you apparently can't grasp that people can support the rights of individuals to own guns while trying to make them harder for dangerous people to get. 

Some people, including yourself, think supporting individual rights is contradictory with voting Democrat, all while you want to take away a woman's right to make her own reproductive choices. Some of you even go further by wanting to deny people born in this country citizenship because they are the children of undocumented immigrants. You are not a champion of freedom, you are far from it. And you are even further from being a strict constitutionalist.

You are so full of shit.  The Democrat Party does NOT BELIEVE in individual sovereignty or individuals that want to stand on their own feet and live freely.  The Democratic Party believes that NO ONE can be allowed to "make it" without the Government limiting their lives and freedoms.  Anyone who does make it through entrepreneurship is labeled in some way to make them appear EVIL.  ("They didn't build that....") And that is TRUTH.
(06-24-2016, 08:21 AM)chuck white Wrote: If 85% of Americans support keeping people on the no fly list from obtaining guns, than they have no idea what the 'no-fly' list is and how one get put on it.
Hell, I don't know how one gets put on it.

What 85% of Americans really support is keeping people the government believes are dangerous enough to not let them fly from obtaining guns. They don't have to know the criteria the government uses to make these lists. Apparently most people have faith in the FBI and other law enforcement agencies. 

The idea that since the government has made some errors, we should not use the no fly list as a starting point is stupid. People that believe they have been put on the list by mistake can petition to get off the list. What's your plan Chuck?
(06-24-2016, 08:37 AM)Hugo Wrote:
(06-24-2016, 07:55 AM)cletus1 Wrote:

Contradiction.

You are so full of shit.  The Democrat Party does NOT BELIEVE in individual sovereignty or individuals that want to stand on their own feet and live freely.  The Democratic Party believes that NO ONE can be allowed to "make it" without the Government limiting their lives and freedoms.  Anyone who does make it through entrepreneurship is labeled in some way to make them appear EVIL.  ("They didn't build that....") And that is TRUTH.

Your brain is broken. Your ideological belief that Democrats are all the same is likely the result of listening to right wingers like Glenn Beck And Rush Limbaugh for way too long. Lots of my friends that vote Democrat are successful professionals and business people. You have zero understanding of the Democrat platform and what Democrat values are.