Tell me all the good and bad about Medford.
(07-03-2016, 01:37 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(07-03-2016, 12:10 PM)bbqboy Wrote: If one has a job, they're not retired, at least to my way of thinking. Making money isn't the same as having a job.
You are very correct, TV.

Well...
Not so simple. For instance I know two guys retired from the military, both enlisted men. They retired after 20 years service and the monthly retirement is not all that great. One took and accounting class and does tax work (all year), the other works for the Sate of Oregon. 

And too, in this age of "downsizing" there are people who are forced to retire long before the time when they would receive full benefits. 

Matter of fact, I retired at age 57 with a reduced retirment. I did so willinging and gladly, and was lucky enough to have invested a bit and live comfortably since. (The only work I've done is upaid volunteer jobs)

So yeah, making money is the same a a job.

Pretty much. Not trying to argue here but every military guy I knew who "retired" after 20 went and got a job. I guess I'm saying that retiring after 20 years from the military or anything else usually requires that person to work a lot more before an actual retirement from any working.
(07-03-2016, 10:42 AM)Valuesize Wrote:
(07-03-2016, 09:46 AM)Wolfdog Wrote: Retired, living in Lincoln county for 25 years. Considering Medford area to finish out retirement. What does the future look like? Will also be using the VA facility. Info on golf courses and condos with a view would be great, as well.  
All comments and advice appreciated. Thanks.

Medford is like everywhere else. The more money you have, the better the future looks. More money equals better golf and better views.

Yep.  From my ghetto view it's all blue skies and green fields on the condo/golfcourse side.
It's a lot hotter.
(07-03-2016, 10:08 AM)Hugo Wrote: Living as I do out in the country, I don't have any info on the condo side, but what I know of the VA is.....  it's the VA.  I've heard it's above average as VA's go.  Pay no attention to the haters.  God only knows why they don't move away if they hate it so much.

(07-03-2016, 12:22 PM)Cuzz Wrote: To the OP: as you can see we don't agree on much. It's not that we always disagree, just that we have a lot to say without really saying much.

Best come for a visit and see for yourself. Now is a good time.

I have no problem reading between the lines, Cuzz. (BTW, Quote function wouldn't work for me. Just went between + and - ) Anyway, you haven't seen disagreement and snarkiness til you've been on the Tripadvisor Vegas forum a few years, as I have.  I'm a big boy.

We've experienced living in four-seasons areas, including the Deep South. Only minor thing that concerns me are the RV inversions. But then we'll just hit the road for a few days.
We actually pass through the area often, and always stop to eat. Kaleidoscope pizza more than once. For perspective, we are also looking at Reno, Bend, and Boise. But we like being close to the beaches. I won't likely work, but my wife is a certified substitute teacher. Pretty sure the cost of living is less than where we are now.

Thanks for everything so far.
Not much inversion since most mills have closed. cars are smogged. I hate snow so Bend's out for me. My nephew worked at a newspaper in Boise for a while; he liked it, better than Boulder, in fact. Lots of Mormons. And potatoes.He's back here now.
(07-03-2016, 07:51 PM)bbqboy Wrote: Not much inversion since most mills have closed. cars are smogged. I hate snow so Bend's out for me. My nephew worked at a newspaper in Boise for a while; he liked it, better than Boulder, in fact. Lots of Mormons. And potatoes.He's back here now.

Boy howdy!
So many folks seem to feel the best thing about the valley is that IN & OUT burgers set up shop in Medford. 

Without a doubt your pointing out the improvement of air quaility rates as number one for me! I feel bad (badly?) for the people who lost jobs in the lumber/mill industry but the improvement in clear air is really a blessing. Even the orchards are using techniques that use less smoke pots and this too has helped. We still have our inversions of course, but at least they are not full of ash and smoke as was once the case. (Another example of a positive govenment program) 

I agree with your comments about Bend and Boise. I don't have a problem about living with Mormons*, but potato country I can do without. 

So, I hope Wolfdog brings his money to The Valley and spends freely to boost the economy. (Did we tell him we have great medical services here?) 

* As long as they don't try to influence our State Legislature in making laws that comfrom to church doctrine.
(07-04-2016, 08:42 AM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(07-03-2016, 07:51 PM)bbqboy Wrote: Not much inversion since most mills have closed. cars are smogged. I hate snow so Bend's out for me. My nephew worked at a newspaper in Boise for a while; he liked it, better than Boulder, in fact. Lots of Mormons. And potatoes.He's back here now.

Boy howdy!
So many folks seem to feel the best thing about the valley is that IN & OUT burgers set up shop in Medford. 

Without a doubt your pointing out the improvement of air quaility rates as number one for me! I feel bad (badly?) for the people who lost jobs in the lumber/mill industry but the improvement in clear air is really a blessing. Even the orchards are using techniques that use less smoke pots and this too has helped. We still have our inversions of course, but at least they are not full of ash and smoke as was once the case. (Another example of a positive govenment program) 

I agree with your comments about Bend and Boise. I don't have a problem about living with Mormons*, but potato country I can do without. 

So, I hope Wolfdog brings his money to The Valley and spends freely to boost the economy. (Did we tell him we have great medical services here?) 

* As long as they don't try to influence our State Legislature in making laws that comfrom to church doctrine.

Yes, we're getting closer to a move.
I'd like to add, tell me all the good and bad about Eagle Point. Re-read all the previous comments, which were positive about EP. Drove around there a lot, and found it an attractive area of the valley. Also considering Oak Harbor, because of similar weather to the coast, with less rain. But the Rogue Valley is still winning out. Reno, Bend, and Boise are out.
(08-13-2017, 05:57 PM)Wolfdog Wrote:

Boy howdy!

I'd like to add, tell me all the good and bad about Eagle Point. Re-read all the previous comments, which were positive about EP. Drove around there a lot, and found it an attractive area of the valley. Also considering Oak Harbor, because of similar weather to the coast, with less rain. But the Rogue Valley is still winning out. Reno, Bend, and Boise are out.

Find a suitable apartment to rent.
Walk the neighborhood.
Drive around town.
Develop a relationship with some local folks.
Do you eat out often, and if so can you find the kind of food you prefer.
Seek information about the medical services available. 
Register to vote
Post a PM to Chuck about weather. 
Hope for the best.
Prepare for the worst.
(08-13-2017, 07:31 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:

Boy howdy!

Walk the neighborhood.
Drive around town.
Register to vote
Hope for the best.
Prepare for the worst.
I'm guessing you don't know much about the renting/housing situation in Medford, do you, Wonky?
(08-13-2017, 07:47 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(08-13-2017, 07:31 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:

Boy howdy!

Walk the neighborhood.
Drive around town.
Register to vote
Hope for the best.
Prepare for the worst.
I'm guessing you don't know much about the renting/housing situation in Medford, do you, Wonky?
I don't know why anyone would assume someone who is retired is looking to rent.
We rented for 2 years before buying our house when we moved north. We hadn't lived in the area before and wanted to get a feel for it before actually buying.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk
(08-13-2017, 08:34 PM)Scrapper Wrote: We rented for 2 years before buying our house when we moved north. We hadn't lived in the area before and wanted to get a feel for it before actually buying.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk
Well sure it's possible he may want to rent. It's just that Wonky seemed to assume he did.

Also renting for two years is a lot of cash to throw away but I'm sure it all depends on a lot of things
Good grief, folks. I just want to know about Eagle Point.
(08-13-2017, 08:50 PM)Wolfdog Wrote: Good grief, folks. I just want to know about Eagle Point.

Laughing Laughing Laughing
(08-13-2017, 08:50 PM)Wolfdog Wrote: Good grief, folks. I just want to know about Eagle Point.

There is no topic here that can't be argued.
(08-13-2017, 09:26 PM)GPnative Wrote:

There is no topic here there can't be argued.

Laughing Laughing  Or hijacked!
(08-13-2017, 09:43 PM)Cuzz Wrote:
(08-13-2017, 09:26 PM)GPnative Wrote:

There is no topic here there can't be argued.

Laughing Laughing  Or hijacked!
Welcome to the Alice's world.  Big Grin 

Yes, I DO know about the renting/housing situation in Medford, Juniper. I've lived here for 25 years. 

And TVguy, as to your response: When retiring to a new community some feel it is a good idea to rent for awhile and get a feel for the area rather than buying and later realizing it was not a good choice. It's costly to buy and sell in a short period. 

Seemed to work out for Scrapper. 

Worked for me. 

Worked for many others.

But, it was only a suggestion. 

As to the specific question about Eagle Point: My son has lived there for about 15 years, and his only regret is that because he works in Medford he has to travel on highway 62 twice a day. He likes it fine, I think, and bought there because at the time it was a bit more affordable than Medford...don't know if that is still true.