How Many Medford Members?
Back in the day, many of us started with the Mail Tribune forum, and from there things changed as forums came and went and as members dropped off or a few signed on. Many (most ? ) of our members at that time were in Medford or at least Jackson Co. 

I ask, because we have "stuff" going on in Medford and Jackson County and if many (or most) of our folks are now out of this area it won't make sense to start posting about:

The new Medford City Manager (Or not, becasue the Mayor is not on board)

Our County Commissioner who spends little time here, uses our money to travel, and may go to trial. 

The threat of the "Heritage" group (read: Historical Society, who wants to add to our tax burden. 

And a few other things. 

We will raise the flag and see who salutes.
If you want to know what area the members live, a poll would be better. Maybe like this?

Where do you call home?

1. Jackson Co.
2. Josephine Co.
3. Other - Oregon *
4. Other - State
5. Other - Country

* Me

If you want to know if anybody cares about discussing Jackson Co. topics you'll just have to post and see how it goes.  Smiling
(07-23-2016, 10:18 PM)Valuesize Wrote: If you want to know what area the members live, a poll would be better. Maybe like this?

Where do you call home?

1. Jackson Co.
2. Josephine Co.
3. Other - Oregon *
4. Other - State
5. Other - Country

* Me

If you want to know if anybody cares about discussing Jackson Co. topics you'll just have to post and see how it goes.  Smiling
I know I don't care about Jackson County.  Big Grin
Oh sure. Come to Jacko for  your concert fun, then go back to hell on the Rogue. Big Grin
(07-23-2016, 11:44 PM)bbqboy Wrote: Oh sure. Come to Jacko for  your concert fun, then go back to hell on the Rogue. Big Grin

He wasn't there for the music. He was trying to sell eggplants. He was SO hoping to find Tia (Juniper) because he was sure she would buy one out of pity. 
He finally sold two to a stoned couple from Merlin who were going to use them as sex toys.  Embarrassed
Well...
Another voice weighing about about the choice for our new Medford City Manager. 

• GUEST OPINION
    Guest Opinion: Back to Square 1 on city manager search

• COMMENT5 0

• By Jan Esquivel

Posted Jul. 26, 2016 at 12:01 AM 

One way to tell when an individual has been in office too long is when you watch them do something that only a bureaucrat would do. The city of Medford is experiencing that today as I write this letter.The City Council has spent 13 months looking for a new city manager. Thirteen months of paying a headhunter group money to find a new employee. Thirteen months of meetings, dinners, interviews and long discussions to only come to the position that a bureaucrat is going to make the decision for them.I sat in the council chambers and listened to all eight of the council members praise the qualifications of their choice — Rob Patridge. Many had intelligent, encouraging things to say about Rob and all his qualifications for the position. How Medford needed a man of the time for the job — someone who understood the area, loved the city, knew how the council and city manager operates and has the skills to bring together city, county and state officials — but wait!It seems that three of the members — after saying great things about Rob — thought the longtime staff deserved someone different; thought they should have someone who had spent some time in a city manager’s position; thought that the system they were using was flawed — after 13 months they bring that up!So the council voted twice — Thursday night in their regularly scheduled meeting and again on Friday at noon at a special meeting — to reach the same decision: 5-3 in favor of confirming the employment agreement with Rob Patridge.So where does the bureaucrat come in? Stand aside, folks, here comes the mayor. That would be your mayor, Gary Wheeler, who intends — and he stated so — to use his veto power against a majority of the council members you and I voted for. That means they are headed back to Square 1!Rob has agreed to take this job at the salary offered which, according to Councilman Dick Gordon’s report, is considerably less than comparable cities pay their managers. Rob is aware he has a bit of a learning curve for the job and is excited about the challenge, but is certainly ahead of anyone from out of the area that doesn’t begin to understand Medford.Rob Patridge is more than qualified for this position. Wheeler, however, will veto the council’s decision and the process will begin again.Perhaps if Bureaucrat Wheeler gets his way, the city of Medford will be able to hire someone from out of the area who knows nothing of Medford, at a much higher salary because his resume looks better to a minority of the council members, to do a job that would be handled extremely well by one of our very own homegrown success stories.Speaking from experience, Medford city managers in the past have not worked well with Jackson County officials or their locally elected state representatives. Rob Patridge has the capability, the connections and the know-how to bring these entities together so they are all working on the same page for the betterment of our city. However, Wheeler sees no advantage there. Wheeler stated in the noon meeting on Friday that it was time for Medford to change. Well, I agree. It is time to have our councilmen learn how to form a consensus and work for the betterment of our community — and it is time change out the mayor.Just a little side note: The Medford city charter reads that the city manager’s position, when vacated, will be filled within one year — that’s 12 months! Seems our council, with the help from Wheeler, stands in violation of the city charter and the citizens of Medford.Jan Esquivel lives in Medford.
(07-26-2016, 09:32 AM)Wonky3 Wrote: Well...

• GUEST OPINION

• COMMENT5 0
  • By Jan Esquivel

One way to tell when an individual has been in office too long is when you watch them do something that only a bureaucrat would do. The city of Medford is experiencing that today as I write this letter.The City Council has spent 13 months looking for a new city manager. Thirteen months of paying a headhunter group money to find a new employee. Thirteen months of meetings, dinners, interviews and long discussions to only come to the position that a bureaucrat is going to make the decision for them.I sat in the council chambers and listened to all eight of the council members praise the qualifications of their choice — Rob Patridge. Many had intelligent, encouraging things to say about Rob and all his qualifications for the position. How Medford needed a man of the time for the job — someone who understood the area, loved the city, knew how the council and city manager operates and has the skills to bring together city, county and state officials — but wait!It seems that three of the members — after saying great things about Rob — thought the longtime staff deserved someone different; thought they should have someone who had spent some time in a city manager’s position; thought that the system they were using was flawed — after 13 months they bring that up!So the council voted twice — Thursday night in their regularly scheduled meeting and again on Friday at noon at a special meeting — to reach the same decision: 5-3 in favor of confirming the employment agreement with Rob Patridge.So where does the bureaucrat come in? Stand aside, folks, here comes the mayor. That would be your mayor, Gary Wheeler, who intends — and he stated so — to use his veto power against a majority of the council members you and I voted for. That means they are headed back to Square 1!Rob has agreed to take this job at the salary offered which, according to Councilman Dick Gordon’s report, is considerably less than comparable cities pay their managers. Rob is aware he has a bit of a learning curve for the job and is excited about the challenge, but is certainly ahead of anyone from out of the area that doesn’t begin to understand Medford.Rob Patridge is more than qualified for this position. Wheeler, however, will veto the council’s decision and the process will begin again.Perhaps if Bureaucrat Wheeler gets his way, the city of Medford will be able to hire someone from out of the area who knows nothing of Medford, at a much higher salary because his resume looks better to a minority of the council members, to do a job that would be handled extremely well by one of our very own homegrown success stories.Speaking from experience, Medford city managers in the past have not worked well with Jackson County officials or their locally elected state representatives. Rob Patridge has the capability, the connections and the know-how to bring these entities together so they are all working on the same page for the betterment of our city. However, Wheeler sees no advantage there. Wheeler stated in the noon meeting on Friday that it was time for Medford to change. Well, I agree. It is time to have our councilmen learn how to form a consensus and work for the betterment of our community — and it is time change out the mayor.Just a little side note: The Medford city charter reads that the city manager’s position, when vacated, will be filled within one year — that’s 12 months! Seems our council, with the help from Wheeler, stands in violation of the city charter and the citizens of Medford.Jan Esquivel lives in Medford.

I'd take the job for half the money.

And probably do a damn good job at it too.
Rob Patridge is creepy on so many levels, like that Apple polisher in grade school that turns out to be an axe murderer, or maybe Dennis Mastery.
Ya know, if I haven't used something for over a year, I have to question if I really need it.   Razz
(07-26-2016, 09:01 PM)Cuzz Wrote: Ya know, if I haven't used something for over a year, I have to question if I really need it.   Razz

That's why I never took a vacation over 3 weeks and that was even pushing it.
(07-26-2016, 10:46 PM)cletus1 Wrote:
(07-26-2016, 09:01 PM)Cuzz Wrote: Ya know, if I haven't used something for over a year, I have to question if I really need it.   Razz

That's why I never took a vacation over 3 weeks and that was even pushing it.

Laughing 

You spend too much time convincing everyone you're invaluable. Maybe you need to devote some of that time convincing them your work depletes you and you need recharging.  Big Grin
(07-26-2016, 08:28 PM)bbqboy Wrote: Rob Patridge is creepy on so many levels, like that Apple polisher in grade school that turns out to be an axe murderer, or maybe Dennis Mastery.

Dennis Hastert
(07-27-2016, 05:51 AM)bbqboy Wrote:
(07-26-2016, 08:28 PM)bbqboy Wrote: Rob Patridge is creepy on so many levels, like that Apple polisher in grade school that turns out to be an axe murderer, or maybe Dennis Mastery.

Dennis Hastert

Sexual Predator? Really? I'm not a fan of Partridge but have been aware of his public life for a long time. 
Kind of a harsh comment.
He's hungry for power, pious, and unrelenting in his quest. You can have him, but it looks like some of your councilmen have reservations.
(07-27-2016, 06:56 AM)bbqboy Wrote: He's hungry for power, pious, and unrelenting in his quest. You can have him, but it looks like some of your councilmen have reservations.

I suspect you are right about all that. 
But to compare him to a sexual predator Like Dennis Hastert is just plain irresponsible and just another example of the hyperbole and reckless langugue and tone we so often use here. 

Barbie, I'd like to think you were simple careless and did not intend to make that comparison. 

PS: So go ahead, TVg, and start your rant out my trying to be the "nanny" here. Or don't. I'm sick of dealing with it.
Funny stuff.
(07-26-2016, 07:52 PM)chuck white Wrote:
(07-26-2016, 09:32 AM)Wonky3 Wrote: Well...

• GUEST OPINION

• COMMENT5 0
  • By Jan Esquivel

I'd take the job for half the money.

And probably do a damn good job at it too.
Yeah but they probably piss test.
(07-27-2016, 10:25 AM)bbqboy Wrote: Funny stuff.

Warped, not funny.
(07-27-2016, 12:11 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(07-27-2016, 10:25 AM)bbqboy Wrote: Funny stuff.

Warped, not funny.

He's beyond warped, see DNC thread.
(07-27-2016, 07:33 AM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(07-27-2016, 06:56 AM)bbqboy Wrote: He's hungry for power, pious, and unrelenting in his quest. You can have him, but it looks like some of your councilmen have reservations.

I suspect you are right about all that. 
But to compare him to a sexual predator Like Dennis Hastert is just plain irresponsible and just another example of the hyperbole and reckless langugue and tone we so often use here. 

Barbie, I'd like to think you were simple careless and did not intend to make that comparison. 

PS: So go ahead, TVg, and start your rant out my trying to be the "nanny" here. Or don't. I'm sick of dealing with it.

[Image: 9glkw7.jpg]