The Boys of '36
On Tue, 8/2 at 9:00 on SOPTV, "American Experience" will broadcast "The Boys of '36"  based on the best selling book, "The Boys in the Boat", by Daniel James brown. 

I read the book and was totally drawn into a story I would have thought way outside my own interest and experience. It's about crew rowing, a sport of the privileged classes (usually). But this story has a "twist" and for those of us in the Pacific Northwest who come from "working stock" it's a stirring and revealing read about achievement and that working class people can complete and excel against all odds when willing to strive and work hard. I thought it one of the best nonfiction accounts I've read in the past couple of years. (Yes...better than "Unbroken","Dead Wake" or "The Unwinding")
I highly recommend it. (For those of you who have negative feelings about me personally, please ignore that and consider watching this) 

I hope you enjoy it as much as I enjoyed reading the book. I'm looking forward to the TV version and hope they do it well.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/americanexperien...36/player/
(07-31-2016, 08:42 AM)Wonky3 Wrote: On Tue, 8/2 at 9:00 on SOPTV, "American Experience" will broadcast "The Boys of '36"  based on the best selling book, "The Boys in the Boat", by Daniel James brown. 

I read the book and was totally drawn into a story I would have thought way outside my own interest and experience. It's about crew rowing, a sport of the privileged classes (usually). But this story has a "twist" and for those of us in the Pacific Northwest who come from "working stock" it's a stirring and revealing read about achievement and that working class people can complete and excel against all odds when willing to strive and work hard. I thought it one of the best nonfiction accounts I've read in the past couple of years. (Yes...better than "Unbroken","Dead Wake" or "The Unwinding")
I highly recommend it. (For those of you who have negative feelings about me personally, please ignore that and consider watching this) 

I hope you enjoy it as much as I enjoyed reading the book. I'm looking forward to the TV version and hope they do it well.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/americanexperien...36/player/

So...
Anyone watch it?
If so, did it make you curious about reading "Boys in the Boat"? 

I thought the Amerian "Expierene thing" was okay...not great, but okay.

As is often (but not always) the case, the book was much better.
Replying to yourself now?? That's not good.   Razz 

I did watch the PBS program and enjoyed it. I thought at first I had the wrong show or they had not described it accurately because little was mentioned about the UW crew until about half way through.

You were right, it was interesting. I may or may not read the book now. Depends on what it's going to cost me. If I can save and get the e-version I probably will. Lately it seems they don't give much of a break between the print and e-reader versions. Too bad, I only buy hard copies now if I think I'll read it more then once. Used to be able to save 30-50% on electronic copies. That actually payed for my Kindle over a years time.
If I can find it I'll watch it. Smiling
(08-07-2016, 12:50 PM)tvguy Wrote: If I can find it I'll watch it. Smiling

Me too. 

Right now I am watching Excalibur. I have seen it before, but it's been a long while. It is my favorite Arthur/Knights of the Round Table movie.
(08-07-2016, 01:27 PM)cletus1 Wrote:

Me too. 

Right now I am watching Excalibur. I have seen it before, but it's been a long while. It is my favorite Arthur/Knights of the Round Table movie.

That's an oldie. I couldn't sleep last night and couldn't find anything to watch so I watched "High noon". I had it recorded so I did my typical FF through boring parts.
I watch shows like this , not all westerns,kind of like a history lesson.This movie was made the year I was born.

[b]High Noon is a 1952 American Western film directed by Fred Zinnemann and starring Gary Cooper. In nearly real time, the film tells the story of a town marshal forced to face a gang of killers by himself. The screenplay was written by Carl Foreman. The film won four Academy Awards (Actor, Editing, Music-Score, Music-Song)[3] and four Golden Globe Awards (Actor, Supporting Actress, Score, Cinematography-Black and White).[4] The award-winning score was written by Russian-born composer Dimitri Tiomkin.

In 1989, High Noon was selected for preservation in the United States National Film Registry by the Library of Congress as being "culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant", entering the registry during the NFR's first year of existence.[/b]

Anyway I will look up people and things on my tablet while I watch.Cooper was born in 1901.. WOW and he died at 60..His wife in the Movie Grace kelly who became a Princess died at 52.. stroke caused a car wreck.

It also has Loyd Bridges who was awesome

I find this hilarious.........Van Cleef was mad but he has a VERY successful career being the consummate bad guy.

Lee Van Cleef debuted in this film as Jack Colby, one of the members of the Miller gang. He was originally cast as Deputy Harvey Pell, but Kramer decided that his nose was too "hooked", which made him look like a villain, and told him to get it fixed. Lee Van Cleef laid out a few angry cuss words for the insult and was cast as Jack Colby. Bridges eventually landed the Pell role, thanks to Cooper.[citation needed]
(08-07-2016, 01:46 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(08-07-2016, 01:27 PM)cletus1 Wrote:

Me too. 

That's an oldie. I couldn't sleep last night and couldn't find anything to watch so I watched "High noon". I had it recorded so I did my typical FF through boring parts.
I watch shows like this , not all westerns,kind of like a history lesson.This movie was made the year I was born.

[b]High Noon is a 1952 American Western film directed by Fred Zinnemann and starring Gary Cooper. In nearly real time, the film tells the story of a town marshal forced to face a gang of killers by himself. The screenplay was written by Carl Foreman. The film won four Academy Awards (Actor, Editing, Music-Score, Music-Song)[3] and four Golden Globe Awards (Actor, Supporting Actress, Score, Cinematography-Black and White).[4] The award-winning score was written by Russian-born composer Dimitri Tiomkin.

In 1989, High Noon was selected for preservation in the United States National Film Registry by the Library of Congress as being "culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant", entering the registry during the NFR's first year of existence.[/b]

Anyway I will look up people and things on my tablet while I watch.Cooper was born in 1901.. WOW and he died at 60..His wife in the Movie Grace kelly who became a Princess died at 52.. stroke caused a car wreck.

It also has Loyd Bridges who was awesome

I find this hilarious.........Van Cleef was mad but he has a VERY successful career being the consummate bad guy.

Lee Van Cleef debuted in this film as Jack Colby, one of the members of the Miller gang. He was originally cast as Deputy Harvey Pell, but Kramer decided that his nose was too "hooked", which made him look like a villain, and told him to get it fixed. Lee Van Cleef laid out a few angry cuss words for the insult and was cast as Jack Colby. Bridges eventually landed the Pell role, thanks to Cooper.[citation needed]

Here is a remake I will watch.