Bates's Seat in Oregon Senate
(08-23-2016, 05:40 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(08-23-2016, 06:43 AM)bbqboy Wrote: See, your need to subtly (or not) show your imagined superiority is just tiring. And I'll repeat again, out of the dozen Or more forums I post on, this is by far the most anal.
Apparently, other folks don't suffer from comprehension problems. I'm sorry you didn't go to college, wonky, but your Desperate attempt to appear smart is extremely tiring, and I'll continue to call you out on it. Now go read David Brooks so you'll know what to say next.

I'm not sure why I bother, but here goes:

This is the "meat" of the original post "Bates seat in Oregnon Senate"

"I admire folks who want to serve the public by going to Salem to represent us. I don't necessary admire folks who are simply "job seekers" looking for the perks of public office but don't have the necessary background to do the job once there. 

I'll be watching the Mail Tribune hoping to see good reporting about those who are serious, and rise to the top of the list of serious candidates. 

We live in difficult times. We need responsible people with backgrounds that will make them effective in office. 

Time for those of us who are NOT seeking this office to be alert and attentive."

Nothing here that might suggest I am trying to "appear smart". Just a topical comment about political stuff going on in our valley. (And I'm JUST smart enough to not attmept to appear smart...a losing cause) 

But I will continue to read David Brooks. Now that guy IS smart! 

So let loose your slings and arrows. I hope something about doing it will make you feel better.

Perhaps this post? http://www.roguevalleyforum.com/forum/sh...#pid377745
(08-23-2016, 06:19 PM)bbqboy Wrote: I'm just tired of your not so veiled condescension.

I hope I don't come accross that way to the rest of the folks here at our forum. Thats' certianly not my intent. I express myself hoping to be clear, using vocabulary and tone that is common to my written expression as it's evolved over the years. It is "what it is" and of course does vary depending of the subject. You must be aware that in topics less serious where we exchange jokes and antidotes I'm casual and simple in my posts and responses. 

And even so, BBQ, is that reason enogh to call me an asshole? Did you expect that after calling me that I would be open to exchaging any meaninful dialog with you? 

And still, we have both been on this site a long time. I'd like to somehow find a way to stop these kind of exchanges. After all, my original post here in no way was directed at you personally and if you didn't like my tone you might of said that without calling me an asshole. You might of even added your own comments about my thoughts on why so many were competing for the vacant seat. Or simply ignored the post.

But carry on as you will. I have no insight into your personal life and so don't have a clue what might motivate your often negative responses. 

I can alway elect to simply ignore your posts. But, as I said above, we have both been here a long time and I'd rather we learned to find some way to be less hostile and continue dialog. That is, after all, what this space is for. 

Your choice.
(08-23-2016, 08:35 PM)Valuesize Wrote:
(08-23-2016, 05:40 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(08-23-2016, 06:43 AM)bbqboy Wrote: See, your need to subtly (or not) show your imagined superiority is just tiring. And I'll repeat again, out of the dozen Or more forums I post on, this is by far the most anal.
Apparently, other folks don't suffer from comprehension problems. I'm sorry you didn't go to college, wonky, but your Desperate attempt to appear smart is extremely tiring, and I'll continue to call you out on it. Now go read David Brooks so you'll know what to say next.

I'm not sure why I bother, but here goes:

This is the "meat" of the original post "Bates seat in Oregnon Senate"

"I admire folks who want to serve the public by going to Salem to represent us. I don't necessary admire folks who are simply "job seekers" looking for the perks of public office but don't have the necessary background to do the job once there. 

I'll be watching the Mail Tribune hoping to see good reporting about those who are serious, and rise to the top of the list of serious candidates. 

We live in difficult times. We need responsible people with backgrounds that will make them effective in office. 

Time for those of us who are NOT seeking this office to be alert and attentive."

Nothing here that might suggest I am trying to "appear smart". Just a topical comment about political stuff going on in our valley. (And I'm JUST smart enough to not attmept to appear smart...a losing cause) 

But I will continue to read David Brooks. Now that guy IS smart! 

So let loose your slings and arrows. I hope something about doing it will make you feel better.

Perhaps this post? http://www.roguevalleyforum.com/forum/sh...#pid377745

Yeah. I admit it was hash. But history here is important too, and that comment was directed at that history. Still, It was posted "in the heat of the moment" and I should have "measured twice, cut once".