Can You Hear it?
"Terminal respiratory secretions (or simply terminal secretions), known colloquially as a death rattle, are sounds often produced by someone who is near death as a result of fluids such as saliva and bronchial secretions accumulating in the throat and upper chest."

Finally, after all these years, I think I hear it in the background, but of late getting louder. 

The DEATH RATTLE of the Rogue Valley Forum.

We got what we wanted. Open posting with no controls to prohibit senseless rabid vulgar posts running off the rails before a subject could be explored and debated. 

Death is certain. 

Listen. 
(09-29-2016, 01:00 PM)Wonky3 Wrote: "Terminal respiratory secretions (or simply terminal secretions), known colloquially as a death rattle, are sounds often produced by someone who is near death as a result of fluids such as saliva and bronchial secretions accumulating in the throat and upper chest."

Finally, after all these years, I think I hear it in the background, but of late getting louder. 

We got what we wanted. Open posting with no controls to prohibit senseless rabid vulgar posts running off the rails before a subject could be explored and debated. 

Death is certain. 

Listen. 

Total nonsense, If you think that is why the forum is dying than I have a subscription to America Online I'd like to sell you.
(09-29-2016, 01:20 PM)GPnative Wrote:
(09-29-2016, 01:00 PM)Wonky3 Wrote: "Terminal respiratory secretions (or simply terminal secretions), known colloquially as a death rattle, are sounds often produced by someone who is near death as a result of fluids such as saliva and bronchial secretions accumulating in the throat and upper chest."

Death is certain. 

Listen. 

Total nonsense, If you think that is why the forum is dying than I have a subscription to America Online I'd like to sell you.

It is NOT total nonsense to Wonky.  The death of the Forum MUST be because everyone didn't listen to HIM, otherwise, what was the point? Laughing
OK Wonky tell us all about the other forums you know of that OF course are moderated with no running off the rails or senseless rabid posts. They must be thriving with new members every day.Where are they?

Because in my world in order to prove you are right about this that is the ONLY way. It's been stated over and over that other local forums got slow and then crashed and that social media is the real reason few people post here.

I don't know why that's so hard to believe other than you wanting to be able to say I told you so. And you have...... a LOT.

OMFG!!!!

Do we have to have this stupid discussion every few months?

It's not dead, just slow as usual.

No one ran anyone else off that was worth worrying about...if their skin wasn't think enough, oh well.

It's never been all that successful since Facebook took over the world.
(09-29-2016, 05:59 PM)HolyMaryMotherOfGod Wrote: OMFG!!!!

No one ran anyone else off that was worth worrying about...if their skin wasn't think enough, oh well.

That would be every few weeks.  aaauggg!!

Like Razz
(09-29-2016, 06:14 PM)tvguy Wrote:

Like Razz

Ditto

Spot on. Smiling
Wonky's latest swan song. He'll be back when Cletus comes back.....

Yep!
Do you know what I hear Wonky?  Every time I visit here, and that's been less and less these days. But, what I hear EVERY TIME I visit is the sound of Wonky telling others what they should, shouldn't do here. I hear this superior, inflexible tone that disguises itself as reasonable debate....but isn't.

Sure, reading political memes written at a seventh grade level is a turn off, but on the whole, if I had to choose which was more of a deterrent to my participation, it would be a tough decision.   I mean, I know to just avoid the Hillary thread and anything OL posts, so that's easy, but you are all over and you don't always post in a infuriatingly demeaning manner.  And I don't necessarily want to block you, but it does get mighty tiring listening to the same old song and dance.
(09-30-2016, 09:25 AM)Hugo Wrote: Wonky's latest swan song.  He'll be back when Cletus comes back.....

Truth
Laughing
Can you hear it? That's the sound of Wonky hitting his head on the wall trying to figure out why we all won't post dialogue to his liking.
This is the seventh thread I have commented on today. That's more than most days.

So no Wonky I don't hear any rattling Smiling
Yep. We the few, saying all the same things, and attracting no new and interesting voices.

Look at our member list and wonder what keeps so many folks away.

Or not. 

Maybe we have what we deserve.
(09-30-2016, 04:40 PM)Wonky3 Wrote: Yep. We the few, saying all the same things, and attracting no new and interesting voices.

Or not. 

Because they are all on their phones on Facebook.
http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/201...past/?_r=0
[/url]

Quote:
The Internet forum, that great old standby of Web 1.0., has become an endangered species.

Many boards are stagnant or in decline, if they even still exist. Several once-thriving boards on the women’s site [url=http://www.ivillage.com/]iVillage have closed up shop. Big fan-fiction boards haven’t seen real action in years. Last month, a once-popular eight-old-year British board about mental health went dark with a note: “The Internet has changed significantly.

I recently returned to AltDotLife, a big message board for women. At the top of the page, one of them wrote: “Is there reason to be concerned about the health of the board?” The writer hit the problem on the head. “We had about 20K-24K posts per month in 2008-09,” she wrote, “and that number has gotten gradually lower so that in the past several months, it’s been more like 13K-15K. And here we are 2/3 of the way through June and we’re at only 8365.”
She had some notion of what was up, and asked others to chime in. A chorus responded, suggesting that Facebook had snapped up some former posters, while others had just moved on.
“I used to come to ADL as a main source of chit chat with friends … but now I tend to go to FB for that,” one wrote. “My guess is that as time went on and the archives got larger and larger, many people are researching old topics rather than starting new threads,” another wrote. “Every possible topic has already been discussed.”
Even forums know that forums are dying. Try googling it, Wonky. Type in "Are internet forums dead?" or some version of that, and you will get hit after hit of other forums having the same discussion. So, the answer to your question is yes and no. Yes, the forum is "dying". But not for the reasons you espouse.
(09-30-2016, 04:40 PM)Wonky3 Wrote: Yep. We the few, saying all the same things, and attracting no new and interesting voices.

Or not. 

Maybe you need to join Facebook?