Kidde Smoke/CO Alarms Recall!
The Kidde smoke/co alarms are widely used and sold locally at many stores. Be sure to check yours!

https://www.cpsc.gov/Recalls/2017/Kidde-...E.facebook
Just replaced one of ours this weekend. But I don't have any of that style subject to recall.

It is pretty widely recommended you should replace your smoke detectors every 10 years.
(11-14-2016, 12:17 PM)GPnative Wrote: Just replaced one of ours this weekend. But I don't have any of that style subject to recall.

It is pretty widely recommended you should replace your smoke detectors every 10 years.

Absolutely. And you should have batteries that last ten years, IMO that should be mandatory.
(11-14-2016, 02:47 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(11-14-2016, 12:17 PM)GPnative Wrote: Just replaced one of ours this weekend. But I don't have any of that style subject to recall.

Absolutely. And you should have batteries that last ten years, IMO that should be mandatory.

Boy! Could we add to THAT list!

Condoms that never break. 
Milk that never sours.
Tires that last the life of the car.
...and on and on and on. 

But, there are improvemnts in battery technology. Maybe you will get your wish. We can hope. 

So maybe I could again do all night what it now takes me all night to do? Naw, some things just wear out.  Embarrassed
(11-14-2016, 04:01 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:

Milk that never sours.
...and on and on and on. 

But, there are improvemnts in battery technology. Maybe you will get your wish. We can hope. 

So maybe I could again do all night what it now takes me all night to do? Naw, some things just wear out.  Embarrassed

LOL... It's not a wish, there are ten year 9 volt smoke detector  batteries Laughing Laughing I don't know how long they have been available but I bought some 12 years ago.
(11-15-2016, 03:53 PM)tvguy Wrote:

Milk that never sours.
...and on and on and on. 

LOL... It's not a wish, there are ten year 9 volt smoke detector  batteries Laughing Laughing I don't know how long they have been available but I bought some 12 years ago.

Really gettin' yer moneys worth out of them ain't cha?  Big Grin
Back before 2000, We had to put smoke detectors in a rental.
Oregon law said they had to be the ten year battery type.
They used very little current. The Li battery had a long shelf/running at low current life. But they had a little less power storage than a regular Alkaline 9 V battery.
Renters being what they are, used it in his TV remote, when his went dead.
I had to buy a replacement after he left, cost about $8 back then.
(11-15-2016, 05:24 PM)Cuzz Wrote:
(11-15-2016, 03:53 PM)tvguy Wrote:

Milk that never sours.
...and on and on and on. 

Really gettin' yer moneys worth out of them ain't cha?  Big Grin

No They all started failing after the ten years was up Smiling
(11-15-2016, 08:59 PM)chuck white Wrote: Back before 2000, We had to put smoke detectors in a rental.
They used very little current. The Li battery had a long shelf/running at low current life. But they had a little less power storage than a regular Alkaline 9 V battery.

There are Smoke detectors with non removable battery that you should have used. That might be and should be mandatory for rentals now.

Because renters are what they are. Wink
(11-16-2016, 07:22 AM)tvguy Wrote:
(11-15-2016, 08:59 PM)chuck white Wrote: Back before 2000, We had to put smoke detectors in a rental.

There are Smoke detectors with non removable battery that you should have used. That might be and should be mandatory for rentals now.

Why not use hard wired smoke detectors?
(11-16-2016, 08:15 AM)Cuzz Wrote:

Chuck would have to hire an electrician. A homeowner can do his own electrical work but a landlord can't legally do so on his rental.
It's not always very easy. You need one in every bedroom and in the hall outside of the bedroom and one on each floor if it's a two story.
And they all need to be connected to each other.
(11-16-2016, 12:30 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(11-16-2016, 08:15 AM)Cuzz Wrote:

Chuck would have to hire an electrician. A homeowner can do his own electrical work but a landlord can't legally do so on his rental.
It's not always very easy. You need one in every bedroom and in the hall outside of the bedroom and one on each floor if it's a two story.
And they all need to be connected to each other.
and on their own breaker.
You can do electrical work on your own house, if you live there. Then you can move out and rent it.
Huh, I'm a little bit smarter then I was. Thanks.