Tires Slipping This Year?
Both our vehicles are having traction problems this year and both have relatively new tires. I called Les Schwab and they said many people have called with the same problem this year. 

Are you experiencing the same phenomenon down there? They suggested tire siping at $14. per tire. Anyone have this done? Does it make a noticeable difference? I suppose I could just sipe the front drive wheels right?

(11-29-2016, 11:21 AM)Valuesize Wrote: Both our vehicles are having traction problems this year and both have relatively new tires. I called Les Schwab and they said many people have called with the same problem this year. 

Are you experiencing the same phenomenon down there? They suggested tire siping at $14. per tire. Anyone have this done? Does it make a noticeable difference? I suppose I could just sipe the front drive wheels right?

Are your tires "winter tires"?  Because there is a huge difference in traction and especially stopping distance comparing an all season to a winter or even studded tires.

When you think about it "siping" is basically making a tire softer and that what winter tires are.... softer.
But I still don't think it's anywhere near as good as a winter tire.

This consumer report article IMO says siping is not worth doing.

The practice of siping, or cutting extra slits into tire treads, is supposed to improve a tire’s snow and ice-biting ability. Tire dealerships typically charge around $15 or more to sipe tires.

To see whether siping makes any difference, we tested two performance all-season models, an H-rated Michelin Energy MXV4 Plus and a V-rated Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S, with and without siping.
The siped version of both models showed modest but measurable improvements in snow-traction and ice-braking performance. But braking distances on wet and dry pavement were a few feet longer. Besides costing $60 or so for a set of four, having your tires siped potentially voids any tread-wear warranty. We don’t think the modest gains are worth the extra costs.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/2012/.../index.htm
Just curious but what kind of vehicles are you having traction issues with? Are they rear wheel drive?
(11-29-2016, 11:37 AM)tvguy Wrote: Just curious but what kind of vehicles are you having traction issues with? Are they rear wheel drive?

My wife's Rav4 front wheel drive is the worst. (all-weather tires have less than 20,000 miles on them) I'm leaning toward trying the siping on the fronts only as they are the main stopping and pulling wheels anyway. To make matters worse, the complex we live re-coated the parking area and being on a mountainside we have about a 30 degree drive up to our unit. In a normal year everyone without 4X4 has to park down the road below on snow days. That's why I have the 4X4.  Smiling

I won't bother with my car as I have manual four wheel I can switch to, but it does slip more in rear wheel only than previous years. (even with three month old all-weather tires)

I'm most interested in knowing if you all have noticed less traction in your area this year?
I have not noticed a lack of traction issue.

I'm not a fan of siping. My experience is it leads to increased wear. I bought a car one time with already siped tires and they were chunking apart from the sipes. Maybe if the tire spent its life on asphalt it may not increase wear, but in my experience gravel roads and siping do not mix. Besides, its not going to noticeably improve traction on wet roads anyway, siping is for a snow/ice/sleet kinda thing.

I'm sure a 1,000 google searches will agree with me and 1,000 wont. But, I know I would not pay good money for a set of precision tires and then cut the hell out of them.
I always thought it was a bad idea, or the manufacture would sell the tire that way.
Try lowering your tire pressure a few pounds.
Perhaps the unusually slick roads up there are caused from all the tears of the trump protesters and Hillary cry babies?
(11-29-2016, 06:37 PM)GPnative Wrote: Perhaps the unusually slick roads up there are caused from all the tears of the trump protesters and Hillary cry babies?

I'm getting new tires this Thursday and this is very helpful.  Thanks for the input.
(11-29-2016, 11:36 AM)tvguy Wrote:
(11-29-2016, 11:21 AM)Valuesize Wrote: Both our vehicles are having traction problems this year and both have relatively new tires. I called Les Schwab and they said many people have called with the same problem this year. 

Are your tires "winter tires"?  Because there is a huge difference in traction and especially stopping distance comparing an all season to a winter or even studded tires.

When you think about it "siping" is basically making a tire softer and that what winter tires are.... softer.
But I still don't think it's anywhere near as good as a winter tire.

This consumer report article IMO says siping is not worth doing.

The practice of siping, or cutting extra slits into tire treads, is supposed to improve a tire’s snow and ice-biting ability. Tire dealerships typically charge around $15 or more to sipe tires.

To see whether siping makes any difference, we tested two performance all-season models, an H-rated Michelin Energy MXV4 Plus and a V-rated Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S, with and without siping.
The siped version of both models showed modest but measurable improvements in snow-traction and ice-braking performance. But braking distances on wet and dry pavement were a few feet longer. Besides costing $60 or so for a set of four, having your tires siped potentially voids any tread-wear warranty. We don’t think the modest gains are worth the extra costs.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/2012/.../index.htm

Thanks for info.  I'll be passing on the 'siping'.
It's the russians, they hacked your tires.
I have noticed that a LOT of people have winter tires and studded tires for sale on Craigslist. Some of them are in EXCELLENT condition and people are asking like $125 for a set of four.
 You might even find the tires you need mounted on wheels that fit your car

I think a lot of people have sold their car and still have their winter wheels and are willing to let them go cheap.
Just out of curiosity what size are the Rav4 tires?

If you consider going that route for the Rav4. Smiling
(11-30-2016, 07:30 PM)tvguy Wrote: I have noticed that a LOT of people have winter tires and studded tires for sale on Craigslist. Some of them are in EXCELLENT condition and people are asking like $125 for a set of four.

I think a lot of people have sold their car and still have their winter wheels and are willing to let them go cheap.

Studded tires got me thinking. I have been kind of tired lately.
(11-30-2016, 07:30 PM)tvguy Wrote: I have noticed that a LOT of people have winter tires and studded tires for sale on Craigslist. Some of them are in EXCELLENT condition and people are asking like $125 for a set of four.

Thanks. I went that route once and didn't think it was worth the cost nor hassle for the amount of days they were actually needed. Add that to the fact we STILL don't have a house with a place to store stuff like that I'll stick with what we have. 

I'm going to wait and see how it goes as to whether we do the siping or not thanks to your advice and others here and elsewhere.

Sorry I didn't get back to the thread, it sort of got thrown on the political dung heap. Funny, people say they would like to have a few threads about something else, but can't miss their chance to throw a little shit.
(11-30-2016, 07:56 PM)Valuesize Wrote:

Thanks. I went that route once and didn't think it was worth the cost nor hassle for the amount of days they were actually needed. Add that to the fact we STILL don't have a house with a place to store stuff like that I'll stick with what we have. 

I'm going to wait and see how it goes as to whether we do the siping or not thanks to your advice and others here and elsewhere.

Sorry I didn't get back to the thread, it sort of got thrown on the political dung heap. Funny, people say they would like to have a few threads about something else, but can't miss their chance to throw a little shit.

Hey! Throwing a little shit is WHAT WE DO.  Laughing

I have a pickup and in the winter the back tires slip all over the place. So, I have some sand bags I put int the bed of the truck. Doesn't help much but makes me feel better because I "think" it will help. 
I'm thinking of just removing the tires and running on the rims. I NEVER drive over 12 MPH and the sound won't bother me cause I'm damn near deaf anyway. My visionis lousy too, but I just tail-gate the vehicle in front of me and hope for the best. 
And, I've got to check with the dealer and find out where my turn signals are. I notice lot's of folks using these days. 

We older drivers are "the best" 'cause we have lot's of experience.  Razz
(12-01-2016, 06:32 PM)Wonky3 Wrote: Hey! Throwing a little shit is WHAT WE DO.  Laughing

I have a pickup and in the winter the back tires slip all over the place. So, I have some sand bags I put int the bed of the truck. Doesn't help much but makes me feel better because I "think" it will help. 
I'm thinking of just removing the tires and running on the rims. I NEVER drive over 12 MPH and the sound won't bother me cause I'm damn near deaf anyway. My visionis lousy too, but I just tail-gate the vehicle in front of me and hope for the best. 
And, I've got to check with the dealer and find out where my turn signals are. I notice lot's of folks using these days. 

We older drivers are "the best" 'cause we have lot's of experience.  Razz

Damn Wonky driving under 12 MPH and tailgating...Get out of the bike lane.
Laughing
Now that I look at them, they look like a better dirt or snow tire than for rain. This is sitting on the recently re-coated parking lot after a rain. See how slippery it looks? 

[Image: 20161201_143627_zpsgxgyhzk9.jpg]
(12-01-2016, 08:56 PM)Valuesize Wrote: Now that I look at them, they look like a better dirt or snow tire than for rain. This is sitting on the recently re-coated parking lot after a rain. See how slippery it looks? 

[Image: 20161201_143627_zpsgxgyhzk9.jpg]

Actually IMO  that picture it doesn't look slippery. But I know exactly what you mean with the re-coated asphalt.

Someone earlier said lower your tire pressure. I thinks that's a fairly good idea. Especially if you aren't putting a lot of miles on your car.

BTW. When I tired from Electrical work I need up finding a couple of good sources to buy used tires from auto recyclers . I ended up buying a tire changing machine and sold a couple thousand tires LOL
I came across a lot of siped tires and that was great because they are worth more.
But I don't remember ever seeing tires with a tread design like above being siped.

Is that a tire on the Rav4 ?  I don't know what year it is but ins isn't a rather lightweight vehicle?

What size tire is that? The width is the first number in millimeters for instance 225/70r16.

The wider the tire the less weight per square inch. That means the wider the less traction.

But people and Automakers like the LOOKS of wider tires. So they give of function for aesthetics. So maybe the next time you buy tires go narrower. Smiling