Finally
Looks like Castro has finally relocated, to hell.
Bye Fidel. I don't expect much to change on the Cuban side. Maybe not much will change on the American side either. Who knows, Trump my want to open up Cuba a little more for American investment. We will see.
Castro is finally a good communist
(11-26-2016, 05:18 AM)orygunluvr Wrote: Castro is finally a good communist

Fact is, Castro was never a very good Communist (if there is such a thing as a very good communist). The Castro brothers and the cadre of those who were close were revolutionaries only in wanting to get rid of Fulgencio Batista, a thug even more corrupt than Castro proved to be. 

Castro is dead. He has left behind not only his brother, but a group of privileged elite who will not easlily give up the reigns of power. 

Cuban jails still hold far too many people who's only sin was to somehow show disrespect and opposition to the Castro regime. The povery in Cuban since the collapse of the Soviet Union is shameful, and many suspect is will require another revolution to unseat the Castro cabal to free the people of Cuban. 

Viva Cuba! I wish them the best.
(11-26-2016, 09:36 AM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(11-26-2016, 05:18 AM)orygunluvr Wrote: Castro is finally a good communist

Fact is, Castro was never a very good Communist (if there is such a thing as a very good communist). The Castro brothers and the cadre of those who were close were revolutionaries only in wanting to get rid of Fulgencio Batista, a thug even more corrupt than Castro proved to be. 

Castro is dead. He has left behind not only his brother, but a group of privileged elite who will not easlily give up the reigns of power. 

Cuban jails still hold far too many people who's only sin was to somehow show disrespect and opposition to the Castro regime. The povery in Cuban since the collapse of the Soviet Union is shameful, and many suspect is will require another revolution to unseat the Castro cabal to free the people of Cuban. 

Viva Cuba! I wish them the best.

In exchange for Syria, Putin has given Donny Cuba. Since everyone that speaks Spanish is Mexican, he's proclaimed the taco bowl to be the new national dish.

Our new leader to be went directly to Twitter to post this. There'll be more when Putin tells him what to do next.

[Image: DJT_Headshot_V2_bigger.jpg]Donald J. TrumpVerified account@realDonaldTrump

Fidel Castro is dead!
So. lets look at what Castro has done for the people of Cuba,
I haven't looked yet, but the questions are health care, housing, food and freedoms.
Let the google search begin.
Quote:The Cuban government operates a national health system and assumes fiscal and administrative responsibility for the health care of all its citizens.[1] There are no private hospitals or clinics as all health services are government-run. The present Minister for Public Health is Roberto Morales Ojeda.

Like the rest of the Cuban economy, Cuban medical care suffered following the end of Soviet subsidies in 1991; the stepping up of the US embargo against Cuba at this time also had an effect.[2]

The US fucked them over and held them back. We killed a lot of Cubans with our meddling.

Quote:As of 2012, infant mortality in Cuba had fallen to 4.83 deaths per 1,000 live births compared with 6.0 for the United States and just behind Canada with 4.8.[14]

Looks like they care about their people and in spite of our efforts.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Healthcare_in_Cuba

I'd say this shows he was a good leader on the issue of health care. (communist or not)
Quote:The politics of housing seem complicated to outsiders looking in on Cuba. The real estate market is not set by the economics of supply and demand, but by the powers of central planning. A family is assigned a house, which can pass from one generation to the next as a form of inheritance. A family can apply for a change in housing if it happens to outgrow its space, but the decision is ultimately held by the state.

However, not all houses are created equal. A fast walk through any part of Havana reveals newly restored offices and houses next to paint chipped, ancient looking buildings. Some times, especially in Old Havana, these battered houses are condemned by the state. "A house falls in Old Havana each week," says University of Havana student Juan Villa.

http://www.virginia.edu/woodson/projects...%20Housing

housing turns out to be hard to judge.

housing is not uniform like health care.

It seems the embargo has limited construction of new housing.

This site paints a grime portrait of the housing in Cuba, it seems they let things crumple into disrepair.
http://havanajournal.com/politics/entry/...e-in-cuba/

Here is PBS view (from 2001)
Quote:n Cuba
  • [/url]

• [url=http://www.pbs.org/newshour/updates/latin_america-july-dec01-life-in-cuba_07-02/#]
  • EMAIL
BY Alexia Elejalde-Ruiz  July 2, 2001 at 12:28 PM EST
The Cuban government, controlled exclusively by President Fidel Castro’s Cuban Communist Party (PCC), has allowed some market-style reforms in an attempt to control an economic crisis that has plagued the country since the Soviet Union’s collapse in 1989.
The USSR’s fall eliminated the sizable subsidies that Cuba had received from its communist benefactor. Between 1989 and 1993, the country’s gross domestic product declined by 35 percent. The health care system, long praised for providing universal coverage, has suffered as medicines and basic supplies became scarce.
Since 1993, the economy has expanded 26.2 percent, but living conditions remain well below 1989 levels. The unemployment rate was down to 5.8 percent in 2000, the lowest in ten years, and the average monthly wage climbed by six percent. Seventy percent of employees on the budgeted payroll received wage hikes of between 15 and 50 percent, and labor productivity rose six percent.

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/updates/lati...uba_07-02/

So it appears they failed in housing, not that they didn't try.

I'd say a good leader, but not a successful one.
Food.
seems like they have limited food supplies. But it also appears they have a way to limit hording.

Quote:Rationing in Cuba refers to the system of food distribution known in Cuba as the Libreta de Abastecimiento ("Supplies booklet"). The system establishes the rations each person is allowed to buy through that system, and the frequency of supplies.[citation needed]

Despite rumors of ending, the system still exists.[1] As of 2012, a coupon book taken to a ration shop provided family minimums for rice, sugar, matches, and oil, above the average wage of £15/month.[2] On top of rationing, the average wage at the end of 2005 was 334 regular pesos per month ($16.70 per month) and average monthly pension was $9.[citation needed]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rationing_in_Cuba
Poverty seems to be the major issue here. There is support from the government to help feed the people.
Again the embargo probably is the major cause of both poverty and food shortage.

There is some issue on distribution of the food rations. I suspect that there is corruption among public servants.

I think he could have done better. Cuba has a good climate to grow food, if they can survive the occasional hurricane.
Quote:Human rights in Cuba are under the scrutiny of human rights organizations, who accuse the Cuban government of systematic human rights abuses, including arbitrary imprisonment, unfair trials, and extrajudicial execution.[1][2][3] International human rights organizations such as Amnesty International and Human Rights Watch have drawn attention to the actions of the human rights movement and designated members of it as Prisoners of Conscience, such as Oscar Elías Biscet. In addition, the International Committee for Democracy in Cuba led by former heads of state Václav Havel of the Czech Republic, José María Aznar of Spain and Patricio Aylwin of Chile was created to support the civic movement.[4]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_rights_in_Cuba

But when you read the history of Cuba. (same article above)

Cuba had 300 years of slavery, followed by dictator after dictator.
 So I think Cuba has never had basic rights yet.

I say the Fidel failed here.

At least he wasn't a nut case like north Korea.
[Image: 649eef883c76f3a731056c2fcf362e79.jpg]
Trump:

“Today, the world marks the passing of a brutal dictator who oppressed his own people for nearly six decades.
Fidel Castro’s legacy is one of firing squads, theft, unimaginable suffering, poverty and the denial of fundamental human rights.

While Cuba remains a totalitarian island, it is my hope that today marks a move away from the horrors endured for too long, and toward a future in which the wonderful Cuban people finally live in the freedom they so richly deserve.

Though the tragedies, deaths and pain caused by Fidel Castro cannot be erased, our administration will do all it can to ensure the Cuban people can finally begin their journey toward prosperity and liberty. I join the many Cuban Americans who supported me so greatly in the presidential campaign, including the Brigade 2506 Veterans Association that endorsed me, with the hope of one day soon seeing a free Cuba.”

Obama:

“At this time of Fidel Castro’s passing, we extend a hand of friendship to the Cuban people. We know that this moment fills Cubans – in Cuba and in the United States – with powerful emotions, recalling the countless ways in which Fidel Castro altered the course of individual lives, families, and of the Cuban nation.

History will record and judge the enormous impact of this singular figure on the people and world around him.

For nearly six decades, the relationship between the United States and Cuba was marked by discord and profound political disagreements.  During my presidency, we have worked hard to put the past behind us, pursuing a future in which the relationship between our two countries is defined not by our differences but by the many things that we share as neighbors and friends – bonds of family, culture, commerce, and common humanity. This engagement includes the contributions of Cuban Americans, who have done so much for our country and who care deeply about their loved ones in Cuba.”

Typical Obama.  I cant wait for this POS to be gone.

Do You Approve Or Disapprove Of Trump's Statement On Fidel Castro's Death?
  Approve         Disapprove       
Completing this poll entitles you to Daily Caller news updates free of charge. You may opt out at anytime. You also agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
I say there has been much written about him in the propagandized press, that only the Cubans will write the true history of Fidel.

Quote:Supporters saw Fidel Castro as a tireless defender of the poor; critics say he drove his country into economic ruin.
http://www.aljazeera.com/news/americas/2...54637.html

Can we blame him for the economic ruin? That is the weapon we deployed on him.
[Image: latuff3.jpg]
We and our leaders should never be praising communist dictators that engage their citizens like Castro did, unless you believe that it's the best way to rule the masses. Looks like some here believe it is.

[Image: 15192587_171354583331388_603126370670817...e=58F9D1D8]
(11-27-2016, 10:55 AM)orygunluvr Wrote: We and our leaders should never be praising communist dictators that engage their citizens like Castro did, unless you believe that it's the best way to rule the masses. Looks like some here believe it is.

He certainly didn't write that.
(11-27-2016, 11:03 AM)Valuesize Wrote:
(11-27-2016, 10:55 AM)orygunluvr Wrote: We and our leaders should never be praising communist dictators that engage their citizens like Castro did, unless you believe that it's the best way to rule the masses. Looks like some here believe it is.

Whoever did is no statesman. Mentioning Brigade 2506 in the same press release (*) as saying he "one day soon hopes to see Cuba free" might put some people on edge. Someone needs to start educating that guy.

(*) I'm trying to be generous, it was probably a tweet.
He means free as in not paying for it.

He certainly did.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/11/26/politics/t...tro-death/
(11-27-2016, 01:30 PM)tvguy Wrote:

He certainly did.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/11/26/politics/t...tro-death/

Just because it was posted on his account it doesn't mean that he wrote it.  Most likely a writer wrote it for him.  You can look at his Twitter account to see the difference in something he actually writes and what was posted there.