Unscientific Survey
So with the advent of legal cannabis for all uses has anyone here that partakes, or do you know anyone that partakes, drinking less or quit altogether? How about prescription meds, anyone take less or stopped altogether? It would seem that theses two industries are pretty worried about there bottom line with the amount of money they are throwing at keeping it illegal that this must be happening.
(12-10-2016, 08:22 AM)orygunluvr Wrote: So with the advent of legal cannabis for all uses has anyone here that partakes, or do you know anyone that partakes, drinking less or quit altogether? How about prescription meds, anyone take less or stopped altogether? It would seem that theses two industries are pretty worried about there bottom line with the amount of money they are throwing at keeping it illegal that this must be happening.

I can remember from way back when, high school age and a little beyond, I smoked pot recreationally and rarely drank any alcohol.  When I quit pot, I'm pretty sure my alcohol increased, but that could be due to "being of age" more than anything.

I rarely take anything stronger than advil or aleve anymore, and alcohol isn't something I do very often, and I have no interest in taking up cannabis again either. 

All this means to your question is:  I'm not the right guy to ask...... Smiling
(12-10-2016, 08:58 AM)Hugo Wrote:
(12-10-2016, 08:22 AM)orygunluvr Wrote: So with the advent of legal cannabis for all uses has anyone here that partakes, or do you know anyone that partakes, drinking less or quit altogether? How about prescription meds, anyone take less or stopped altogether? It would seem that theses two industries are pretty worried about there bottom line with the amount of money they are throwing at keeping it illegal that this must be happening.

I can remember from way back when, high school age and a little beyond, I smoked pot recreationally and rarely drank any alcohol.  When I quit pot, I'm pretty sure my alcohol increased, but that could be due to "being of age" more than anything.

I rarely take anything stronger than advil or aleve anymore, and alcohol isn't something I do very often, and I have no interest in taking up cannabis again either. 

All this means to your question is:  I'm not the right guy to ask...... Smiling
I pretty much agree. "Back in the day", I'm sure I drank less when I was "smoking dope". All things condsiered, I preferred Grass over booze. If I was not careful, too much booze would make my tongue think, etc., and I was past that place of "a nice buzz" and into a place that was just not all that pleasant. (Hard to describe...liked the buzz, not being drunk)  

Too much cannabis too, could make me feel like "a zombie" but I learned early on to monitor my intake and keep the effect I wanted. 

Whatever: I'm sure we all have had different expierences. 

Interesting "poll", now that weed is so much more available. Would be interesing to see a poll that included a few thousand people. Maybe one will pop up.
Personally I drank as much when I smoked weed as when I quit,  but have t done either one for twenty years. Having broke 16 bones and bashed in a knee with a sledge hammer I'm in pain 99% of the time but chose not to take pills, I adjusted my diet and take an Advil once in awhile. As long as I keep active the pain isn't as bad.
(12-10-2016, 10:08 AM)orygunluvr Wrote: Personally I drank as much when I smoked weed as when I quit,  but have t done either one for twenty years. Having broke 16 bones and bashed in a knee with a sledge hammer I'm in pain 99% of the time but chose not to take pills, I adjusted my diet and take an Advil once in awhile. As long as I keep active the pain isn't as bad.

I heard a good segment on the radio yesterday about pain management.  Doctors always ask about your pain level, from 1 to 10. Everyone wants to be at a zero, but the reality is as we get older that is just not likely.  The gist of it was, to get to zero, you become an addict.  So learn to live comfortably at a 3 with no opiates.  That's what I do.
(12-10-2016, 10:20 AM)Hugo Wrote:
(12-10-2016, 10:08 AM)orygunluvr Wrote: Personally I drank as much when I smoked weed as when I quit,  but have t done either one for twenty years. Having broke 16 bones and bashed in a knee with a sledge hammer I'm in pain 99% of the time but chose not to take pills, I adjusted my diet and take an Advil once in awhile. As long as I keep active the pain isn't as bad.

I heard a good segment on the radio yesterday about pain management.  Doctors always ask about your pain level, from 1 to 10. Everyone wants to be at a zero, but the reality is as we get older that is just not likely.  The gist of it was, to get to zero, you become an addict.  So learn to live comfortably at a 3 with no opiates.  That's what I do.

Sometimes doctors aren't the best people to consult about pain relief.
(12-10-2016, 10:29 AM)Cuzz Wrote:
(12-10-2016, 10:20 AM)Hugo Wrote:

Sometimes doctors aren't the best person to consult about pain relief.
Like the blonde that told the doctor it hurt everywhere she touched her body, he told her because she had a broken finger.
(12-10-2016, 10:29 AM)Cuzz Wrote: Sometimes doctors aren't the best people to consult about pain relief.

My best advice has always come from a DPT.
(12-10-2016, 10:32 AM)Valuesize Wrote:
(12-10-2016, 10:29 AM)Cuzz Wrote: Sometimes doctors aren't the best people to consult about pain relief.

I had to look that up. bet I'm not the only one.
(12-10-2016, 11:16 AM)tvguy Wrote:

Jesse, one of the best on the planet is right in GP. 

http://siskiyoupt.com/
(12-10-2016, 11:21 AM)Valuesize Wrote:
(12-10-2016, 11:16 AM)tvguy Wrote:

Jesse, one of the best on the planet is right in GP. 

http://siskiyoupt.com/

"The best" is always the one the helps you. But I agree, I've received much better pain relief from physical therapy and acupuncture then from a doctor for my issues.
We've considered acupuncture for my husband. He has degenerative disc disease, as well as bone spurs in his neck. As a person who had used it for pain management, do you think it would be worth a try? Pros? Cons?
(12-10-2016, 04:40 PM)Scrapper Wrote: We've considered acupuncture for my husband. He has degenerative disc disease, as well as bone spurs in his neck.  As a person who had used it for pain management, do you think it would be worth a try?  Pros?  Cons?

I don't know Scrapper. The sceptic me says BS, but I have a friend that says it works good for him. It is something that your husband might try. No harm in trying.
I definitely smoke pot instead of drinking alcohol.
(12-10-2016, 04:40 PM)Scrapper Wrote: We've considered acupuncture for my husband. He has degenerative disc disease, as well as bone spurs in his neck.  As a person who had used it for pain management, do you think it would be worth a try?  Pros?  Cons?

I was told by doctors I might have degenerative disc disease and surgery was the answer to my immediate pain from pinched nerves. My back problems had stretched over four years and I'd missed a lot  of work in that time. Sometimes I was utterly unable to move. I declined the surgery.

I can't say for sure if it will help your husband. I am convinced PT along with acupuncture together has helped me tremendously. I've been pain free without meds and haven't missed a day of work in about three years now. Plus I feel great after an acupuncture treatment.   Smiling   I still have to be careful about re-injuring my back though. So far, so good.

I'd suggest finding an acupuncturist your comfortable with, discuss it with them and try a couple treatments. Some insurances will cover that now. Mine covers something like 15 treatments a year. The pins don't bother me. Sometimes I feel a little prick when it's inserted but no pain. One spot only I feel a zing from my knee to my foot deep inside my leg but it isn't really painful. It's an odd feeling I can't really describe.

The first time I went, I was desperate for relief and doctors were only offering surgery and pain meds that didn't work. I decided to try alternative methods to see if anyone else could help. Best decision I've ever made.

I have responded to this question many times. I am active in the cannabis community, yet personally I don't use cannabis medically because there is nothing wrong with me. I have some friends that says it works for them. Some of these friends are in pain and have reduced their dependence on prescription opiates. That's a good thing right?

I think the pharmaceutical industry has a reason to be concerned. They are the "pushers" and they are getting it from two sides, the DEA and the medical marijuana movement which has been pretty successful getting laws passed that allows some people to use Marijuana. 

There is a lot of anecdotal evidence that it works well to control pain for some people. It doesn't even matter if the weed helps through "distraction" from the pain. Just use it if it helps. What are the side affects? Getting goofy and getting the munchies? Big deal. Watch the TV commercials and take note of the side affects from most of the pharmaceutical drugs.
(12-10-2016, 05:28 PM)cletus1 Wrote:

I have responded to this question many times. I am active in the cannabis community, yet personally I don't use cannabis medically because there is nothing wrong with me. I have some friends that says it works for them. Some of these friends are in pain and have reduced their dependence on prescription opiates. That's a good thing right?

I think the pharmaceutical industry has a reason to be concerned. They are the "pushers" and they are getting it from two sides, the DEA and the medical marijuana movement which has been pretty successful getting laws passed that allows some people to use Marijuana. 

There is a lot of anecdotal evidence that it works well to control pain for some people. It doesn't even matter if the weed helps through "distraction" from the pain. Just use it if it helps. What are the side affects? Getting goofy and getting the munchies? Big deal. Watch the TV commercials and take note of the side affects from most of the pharmaceutical drugs.

Blink  really?? .....  Sorry, couldn't be helped.   Big Grin

I agree though. For chronic pain, do whatever works. If your inclined to try cannabis, do it. It wasn't an option for me or I would have tried it too.
(12-10-2016, 05:37 PM)Cuzz Wrote:

I agree though. For chronic pain, do whatever works. If your inclined to try cannabis, do it. It wasn't an option for me or I would have tried it too.
Laughing OK. There is plenty wrong with me, but weed can't fix it. Every now and then I use weed recreationally, but it isn't something I enjoy all that much. Sometimes it makes me feel strange. When I was younger, I was a human chimney. I don't know what happened, but I can't do it like I once did.
(12-10-2016, 05:25 PM)Cuzz Wrote:

I was told by doctors I might have degenerative disc disease and surgery was the answer to my immediate pain from pinched nerves. My back problems had stretched over four years and I'd missed a lot  of work in that time. Sometimes I was utterly unable to move. I declined the surgery.

I can't say for sure if it will help your husband. I am convinced PT along with acupuncture together has helped me tremendously. I've been pain free without meds and haven't missed a day of work in about three years now. Plus I feel great after an acupuncture treatment.   Smiling   I still have to be careful about re-injuring my back though. So far, so good.

I'd suggest finding an acupuncturist your comfortable with, discuss it with them and try a couple treatments. Some insurances will cover that now. Mine covers something like 15 treatments a year. The pins don't bother me. Sometimes I feel a little prick when it's inserted but no pain. One spot only I feel a zing from my knee to my foot deep inside my leg but it isn't really painful. It's an odd feeling I can't really describe.

The first time I went, I was desperate for relief and doctors were only offering surgery and pain meds that didn't work. I decided to try alternative methods to see if anyone else could help. Best decision I've ever made.

My husband was diagnosed about 25 years ago.  They said he wasn't a candidate for surgery because there is too much involved and it would leave him with no range of motion.  They just suggested he check into pain management options.  He did get shots once or twice a year for many years; eventually that just stopped working.  I've tried to talk to him about trying marijuana, but he's very anti-marijuana; plus he really can't have that in his system with his job.  I think I'll do some investigation into local acupuncturists and see what I can find.  Thanks for the info!
(12-10-2016, 06:26 PM)cletus1 Wrote:
(12-10-2016, 05:37 PM)Cuzz Wrote:

Laughing OK. There is plenty wrong with me, but weed can't fix it. Every now and then I use weed recreationally, but it isn't something I enjoy all that much. Sometimes it makes me feel strange. When I was younger, I was a human chimney. I don't know what happened, but I can't do it like I once did.

That's why nothing is wrong with you, you've been smoking your tonic recreationally and it kept you healthy.