Why Rural American Voted For Trump
So, be forewarned: This is from the dreaded NYT newspaper.
But, not WRITTEN by anyone at the Times.
It's an OP-ED written by a midwestern TV guy. I found it not only interesting, but enlightening. Not all that long, I submit it as a good read. If you are a conservative, you might well love it. 

Some excerpts:

Political analysts have talked about how ignorance, racism, sexism, nationalism, Islamophobia, economic disenfranchisement and the decline of the middle class contributed to the popularity of Mr. Trump in rural America. But this misses the deeper cultural factors that shape the thinking of the conservatives who live here.

“The difference between Republicans and Democrats is that Republicans believe people are fundamentally bad, while Democrats see people as fundamentally good,” said Mr. Watts, who was in the area to campaign for Senator Rand Paul. “We are born bad,” he said and added that children did not need to be taught to behave badly — they are born knowing how to do that.
“We teach them how to be good,” he said. “We become good by being reborn — born again.”
He continued: “Democrats believe that we are born good, that we create God, not that he created us. If we are our own God, as the Democrats say, then we need to look at something else to blame when things go wrong — not us.”
Mr. Watts talked about the 2015 movie theater shooting in Lafayette, La., in which two people were killed. Mr. Watts said that Republicans knew that the gunman was a bad man, doing a bad thing. Democrats, he added, “would look for other causes — that the man was basically good, but that it was the guns, society or some other place where the blame lies and then they will want to control the guns, or something else — not the man.” Republicans, he said, don’t need to look anywhere else for the blame.

http://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/05/opinio...ght-region
(01-05-2017, 11:34 AM)Wonky3 Wrote: So, be forewarned: This is from the dreaded NYT newspaper.
It's an OP-ED written by a midwestern TV guy. I found it not only interesting, but enlightening. Not all that long, I submit it as a good read. If you are a conservative, you might well love it. 

Some excerpts:

Political analysts have talked about how ignorance, racism, sexism, nationalism, Islamophobia, economic disenfranchisement and the decline of the middle class contributed to the popularity of Mr. Trump in rural America. But this misses the deeper cultural factors that shape the thinking of the conservatives who live here.

“The difference between Republicans and Democrats is that Republicans believe people are fundamentally bad, while Democrats see people as fundamentally good,” said Mr. Watts, who was in the area to campaign for Senator Rand Paul. “We are born bad,” he said and added that children did not need to be taught to behave badly — they are born knowing how to do that.
“We teach them how to be good,” he said. “We become good by being reborn — born again.”
He continued: “Democrats believe that we are born good, that we create God, not that he created us. If we are our own God, as the Democrats say, then we need to look at something else to blame when things go wrong — not us.”
Mr. Watts talked about the 2015 movie theater shooting in Lafayette, La., in which two people were killed. Mr. Watts said that Republicans knew that the gunman was a bad man, doing a bad thing. Democrats, he added, “would look for other causes — that the man was basically good, but that it was the guns, society or some other place where the blame lies and then they will want to control the guns, or something else — not the man.” Republicans, he said, don’t need to look anywhere else for the blame.

Nice article. In a nutshell  many republicans see black and white. They want a quick easy answer. And that is believing the left, liberals, democrats .....Have no morals, no courage, want the easy way out, lazy, entitled, anti American and have a mental disease. Plus we want to empower sexual deviants and pedophiles. We want to let them in the bathroom with THEIR little girls.
This crap has been told to countless people by fox news and radio talk show hosts for many years. And now with the popularity of social media more people than ever believe it.

IMO this is a big reason if not the biggest reason Trump was elected.

After all how many people would vote for a woman who got rapists off and laughed about it? Who sold uranium to the Russians. Who with her husband murdered 50 or 60 people. Who had a foundation where people donated tens of millions of dollars and it all went right in to the Clinton's pockets.
Who sat on her hands and didn't care that Americans were being killed in Benghazzi. Who should be in prison over an email scandal.Who is just fine with OPEN borders.

OH yeah and she's ugly and has some sickness she is hiding, probably Parkinson's disease.

This is what a lot of rural America has been told.
(01-05-2017, 02:54 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(01-05-2017, 11:34 AM)Wonky3 Wrote: So, be forewarned: This is from the dreaded NYT newspaper.

Some excerpts:

Nice article. In a nutshell  many republicans see black and white. They want a quick easy answer. And that is believing the left, liberals, democrats .....Have no morals, no courage, want the easy way out, lazy, entitled, anti American and have a mental disease. Plus we want to empower sexual deviants and pedophiles. We want to let them in the bathroom with THEIR little girls.
This crap has been told to countless people by fox news and radio talk show hosts for many years. And now with the popularity of social media more people than ever believe it.

After all how many people would vote for a woman who got rapists off and laughed about it? Who sold uranium to the Russians. Who with her husband murdered 50 or 60 people. Who had a foundation where people donated tens of millions of dollars and it all went right in to the Clinton's pockets.
Who sat on her hands and didn't care that Americans were being killed in Benghazzi. Who should be in prison over an email scandal.Who is just fine with OPEN borders.

OH yeah and she's ugly and has some sickness she is hiding, probably Parkinson's disease.

I didn't read it like that.
"Rural Americans", mostly people of faith, believe man is "bad" and needs redemption. These people (for the most part) hold onto values they think are wholesome and anyone who does no agree with these values is somehow less than "good", or "ethical", or _______fill in the blank.

Progressives believe, as did our forefathers, that the scientific truths of the "Age of Enlightenment" will prevail and have discarded dogma for the science of reasonable outcomes. We don't need "conversion", and think man is born good and information, education, exposure to reason, and lack of dogma will, in time, lead us to a more perfect society. 

Healthcare for all our citizens is an example of a progressive idea coming from a reasonable ideal rather than outdated "conservative" beliefs that "the market" will provide. We know the market is a good system for an economic engine, but our progressive awareness tells us it does not meet all needs.
(01-05-2017, 06:00 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:

Some excerpts:

I didn't read it like that.
"Rural Americans", mostly people of faith, believe man is "bad" and needs redemption. These people (for the most part) hold onto values they think are wholesome and anyone who does no agree with these values is somehow less than "good", or "ethical", or _______fill in the blank.

Progressives believe, as did our forefathers, that the scientific truths of the "Age of Enlightenment" will prevail and have discarded dogma for the science of reasonable outcomes. We don't need "conversion", and think man is born good and information, education, exposure to reason, and lack of dogma will, in time, lead us to a more perfect society. 

Healthcare for all our citizens is an example of a progressive idea coming from a reasonable ideal rather than outdated "conservative" beliefs that "the market" will provide. We know the market is a good system for an economic engine, but our progressive awareness tells us it does not meet all needs.

I agree with the article and I agree with what you said.

You said...I didn't read it like that. I wasn't giving my interpretation of the article. I was giving my interpretation
Of why a lot of rural America voted for a colossal asshole. And that is because they were convinced Hillary was worse based on all the propaganda people believe that I posted about.

I know you don't like Facebook. I don't blame you.
But it is a window in to the minds of a lot of people. It's a window you won't see with your subscriptions to good journalism or all the other good info you are used to.

Right here in little old Medford a FB group called WARS has 8500 members. IMO it is predominately right wing and  FAR right wing. And I KNOW not many  are anywhere close to having the knowledge you do.
As a matter of fact a great many have heard all of that right wing propaganda I mentioned above and believe it.

So if this is true here in Medford? how many cities in are country are exactly the same. And how did this affect the election?
RURAL America is full of dumbshits who believe what they hear most.

Trump is our Facebook president.
It's shocking enough that a person like Donny could be elected president, but more shocking TO ME that there are so many wacko's out there like OL, SFL, Larry, GPnative etc...
Yeah, what a load of shiite. How can you explain parts of rural America that always vote left swing full right for trump? It's easy, you guys supported a candidate that is by and far the most criminal deplorable politician of my generation, and her husband isn't any different. She told a whole sector of employment that she wasn't going to do away with what is left of their employment, and those are women of the rural folks that typically vote left. Then she gave them some bullshit line about what her plans were their future.

Some excerpts:

You guys happily supported and elected a pedophile to governor of Oregon, a very large donor and supporter of obozo from orygun is accused, with his gay lover, of molesting a teenage boy, and obozo loves the guy. As to your other rants, which ones do you think aren't true?
(01-05-2017, 08:11 PM)Valuesize Wrote: It's shocking enough that a person like Donny could be elected president, but more shocking TO ME that there are so many wacko's out there like OL, SFL, Larry, GPnative etc...

I don't this GP or Hugo fit in to what I call a whacko.
(01-05-2017, 08:26 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(01-05-2017, 08:11 PM)Valuesize Wrote: It's shocking enough that a person like Donny could be elected president, but more shocking TO ME that there are so many wacko's out there like OL, SFL, Larry, GPnative etc...

Thank you. 

I was going to reply to vs, but screw it, what's the point.
(01-05-2017, 08:20 PM)orygunluvr Wrote: Yeah, what a load of shiite. How can you explain parts of rural America that always vote left swing full right for trump? It's easy, you guys supported a candidate that is by and far the most criminal deplorable politician of my generation, and her husband isn't any different. She told a whole sector of employment that she wasn't going to do away with what is left of their employment, and those are women of the rural folks that typically vote left. Then she gave them some bullshit line about what her plans were their future.

I'd have to agree with all of this except she was still less deplorable than ol Donnny. How do you feel about Donny hanging out with killers and shyster's like Don King or Anthony “Fat Tony” Salerno?
(01-05-2017, 08:37 PM)GPnative Wrote:

Thank you. 

Valuesize is a LOT more unstable than "Donny" will ever be.
(01-05-2017, 08:56 PM)Hugo Wrote:
(01-05-2017, 08:37 PM)GPnative Wrote:

Thank you. 

Valuesize is a LOT more unstable than "Donny" will ever be.

Let me reply in a fashion you are accustomed to. WRONG!  Laughing

In my book they are just inside the wacko fence.  Big Grin You need to read between the lines because they twist the facts often.
(01-05-2017, 09:25 PM)Valuesize Wrote:

In my book they are just inside the wacko fence.  Big Grin You need to read between the lines because they twist the facts often.
Suggesting others here are "whacko" proves nothing. 
If we read a post that we see as "whacko" we should comment on it and explain why we see it in that light. 
Or, we have the option of simply ignoring it (them).