Thinking About A Generator
(01-09-2017, 08:19 PM)orygunluvr Wrote:
(01-09-2017, 07:40 PM)Valuesize Wrote:
(01-09-2017, 07:15 PM)HolyMaryMotherOfGod Wrote:
(01-09-2017, 06:53 PM)Cuzz Wrote:
(01-08-2017, 08:05 PM)HolyMaryMotherOfGod Wrote: I thought about buying a generator when we relocated to SD, but didn't have to...we are on the town's emergency generator since we live so close to city hall and the county offices. Smiling

Just curious, does the city know about this??     Big Grin

Yes, they do. Smiling

Everyone within a 5 block radius of city hall is.

Well then why do you have to drive 40 miles to school?
Because it's to far to walk?

And it's up hill, both ways.
(01-10-2017, 12:22 AM)chuck white Wrote:
(01-09-2017, 08:19 PM)orygunluvr Wrote:
(01-09-2017, 06:53 PM)Cuzz Wrote: Just curious, does the city know about this??     Big Grin

Yes, they do. Smiling

Because it's to far to walk?

And it's up hill, both ways.

Not in South Dakota.
I need a generator also, I know it's just a matter of time before during an exceptionally wet weather event like we are having + power outage = our sump not pumping. Been holding out for a deal on a small Honda, but may have to expand my search. If our power went out today our crawl space would be a swimming pool in a matter of hours.
(01-10-2017, 09:24 AM)GPnative Wrote: I need a generator also, I know it's just a matter of time before during an exceptionally wet weather event like we are having + power outage = our sump not pumping. Been holding out for a deal on a small Honda, but may have to expand my search. If our power went out today our crawl space would be a swimming pool in a matter of hours.

Portland Craigslist has a few. It may not be worth traveling this far JUST for a generator, but combined with something else it may work out.
(01-10-2017, 10:04 AM)Valuesize Wrote:
(01-10-2017, 09:24 AM)GPnative Wrote: I need a generator also, I know it's just a matter of time before during an exceptionally wet weather event like we are having + power outage = our sump not pumping. Been holding out for a deal on a small Honda, but may have to expand my search. If our power went out today our crawl space would be a swimming pool in a matter of hours.

Portland Craigslist has a few. It may not be worth traveling this far JUST for a generator, but combined with something else it may work out.

There's one for $400 local...I'm just being a cheap skate.
(01-09-2017, 06:53 PM)Cuzz Wrote:
(01-08-2017, 08:05 PM)HolyMaryMotherOfGod Wrote: I thought about buying a generator when we relocated to SD, but didn't have to...we are on the town's emergency generator since we live so close to city hall and the county offices. Smiling

Just curious, does the city know about this??     Big Grin

Yes, they do. Smiling

My dd is in a special education immersion program at a school outside of our town. My ds goes here locally.
(01-10-2017, 10:23 AM)GPnative Wrote:

My friend got a generator large enough to power his entire home. He lives up in the hills and said power outages last longer there because Pacific Power crews prioritize repairs by the number of homes affected. I don't think I need to get a big generator, but I think should get one just in case. 

The reason I have not got one yet, is that when I think about it too long I realize that in the 20 years that I have lived in my current home, power outages are rare. When they have happened, the power is back on in hours not days.
(01-10-2017, 11:43 AM)cletus1 Wrote:

My friend got a generator large enough to power his entire home. He lives up in the hills and said power outages last longer there because Pacific Power crews prioritize repairs by the number of homes affected. I don't think I need to get a big generator, but I think should get one just in case. 

The reason I have not got one yet, is that when I think about it too long I realize that in the 20 years that I have lived in my current home, power outages are rare. When they have happened, the power is back on in hours not days.

I agree, it's an easy purchase to procrastinate on. Which is why I keep doing it. It's like putting $500 on a shelf in the garage and maybe never touching it. With our location the longest power outage I can recall was about 6 hours. I wouldn't even bother to use a generator for household needs for that short amount of time. I just want to be able to run the sump. On a day like this, 6 hours w/out power would be major crawl space flooding for me, not that it would cause imminent house damage, once the power was restored it would pump it out, but then the crawl space would be a dank stank wet mess until summer. Yuck
(01-10-2017, 11:43 AM)cletus1 Wrote:

That's exactly why I don't have a generator.
What I don't like about the small generator is the short time they can run between oil changes.
Seems like you'd have to change the oil every time you used it.
(01-10-2017, 06:09 PM)chuck white Wrote: What I don't like about the small generator is the short time they can run between oil changes.
Seems like you'd have to change the oil every time you used it.

You do what they tell you in the directions?? That's un American. I've NEVER changed the oil in my riding mower I've had for at least ten years.
I remember once I was going to but after I looked at  the oil and how clean it still looked I said the hell with it.