A Question For Our Conservative Friends
(01-09-2017, 02:58 PM)tvguy Wrote: For protection from falling water heaters they are required to be fastened securely to the wall. And I believe you MUST have  a factory made UL approved device to do so.

A lot if not all of 549C elementary schools and possibly high schools have the small short ones in class rooms in the bottom of cabinets.. under the counter.

You guess it, These also have to be secured even though they can't possibly fall and hurt someone in an earthquake.

This seemed trivial? Multiply it by tens of thousands. And this is just one one many examples I could give.
Yes.... no one is saying that want no regulation.. so your point is?? Question is there a cost involved in implementing this?

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk
The vile regulated shit show"safety" gas cans on store shelves these days is my example.

I have 5 old school gas cans from 5 gal down to 1 gal that actually breathe and dispense gas and I treat them like gold. In fact I may tell my wife to put my ashes in one and bury it when my time comes.
(01-09-2017, 03:36 PM)GPnative Wrote: The vile regulated shit show"safety" gas cans on store shelves these days is my example.

I have 5 old school gas cans from 5 gal down to 1 gal that actually breathe and dispense gas and I treat them like gold. In fact I may tell my wife to put my ashes in one and bury it when my time comes.
Lol I can give you loads of the " saftey" cans when I'm forced to empty out a storage unit for lack of payment. Every unit seems to have one or two if those on hand. Remember... saftey is no accident. Tip go down to climate city motorcycle or Colvin oil on foothill. You can still buy a real fuel can that works well. All us dirt bike/ car guys use these cans...

(01-09-2017, 03:09 PM)capitalist pig Wrote:
(01-09-2017, 02:58 PM)tvguy Wrote: For protection from falling water heaters they are required to be fastened securely to the wall. And I believe you MUST have  a factory made UL approved device to do so.

A lot if not all of 549C elementary schools and possibly high schools have the small short ones in class rooms in the bottom of cabinets.. under the counter.

You guess it, These also have to be secured even though they can't possibly fall and hurt someone in an earthquake.

This seemed trivial? Multiply it by tens of thousands. And this is just one one many examples I could give.
Yes....  no one is saying that want no regulation..   so your point is?? Question is there a cost involved in implementing this?

Yes of course there is a huge cost of implementing this and it makes no sense. That's my point.
(01-09-2017, 03:57 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(01-09-2017, 03:09 PM)capitalist pig Wrote:

Yes....  no one is saying that want no regulation..   so your point is?? Question is there a cost involved in implementing this?

Yes of course there is a huge cost of implementing this and it makes no sense. That's my point.

We agree, attn wonky real world example of over regulation run amuck. ( by tv) Local one to boot. Wonky give Herman a call I posted his info for all. He works for us and you have the right to call. Simple question, as him in favor of more, less, the same level of regulation and why. Should help you out on your question. Cheers

Wonky another quick example, go talk to the growers ( I have as we have delivered over a million gallons of water in the last few years.) Every back yard has one it seems. Ask how many are happy with the current state of regulation? Another way of looking at this issue is. Pot growing went from the ultimate reg of no, to heavily regulated and what did growing do? Which direction were regulations moving to have this occur? If the same direction were to continue what do you think would happen to grow operations?? Make it easier to do? Or less easy to do?

(01-09-2017, 02:05 PM)capitalist pig Wrote:
(01-09-2017, 01:55 PM)chuck white Wrote: Not to quote that big ass statement from capitalist pig.
But I wonder how he feels about impact fees, which only cover about half the cost that new construction cost everybody else. (somebody has to pay for road improvements, water and sewage pipes, increased cost to fire and police,etc)

I know some contractors bitch about these fees, they would rather keep the money in their pocket and stick it to the rest of the community.
It's another issue and a valid one, but not the topic here.  Some of these fees are out of control because of over regulation, some are not, but again I don't what to go down that  road as I don't have the time. Wonky you are asking the wrong people in the original post. You go wrong talking to the right or left,  talk to business owners they are the ones at play here. Remember chuck it's not one sided, those benefits, benefit all. Last time I checked when a contractor pays for these things many others use the sidewalks,  waterline etc etc. Right now a buddy of mine is being told that in order to do his project he will need to upgrade the water line to benefit all those in the area ( 100,000 estimate at this time) even though his project will use far less water then a household.   ( r.r. hyw project if you are clever enough you could figure this out as it is grinding through the city right now)   cheers

Sounds like the water main doesn't run to his project.
They don't want to piecemill the plumbing with small pipes running to each house.
Typically, since he's the first on the expansion, he foots initial cost and gets paid back every time somebody taps in.
Having hit a bit of a low spot, I kicked out the hookers, drank the last of the Jim Beam, fed the dogs and made some soup to try to get back on track. Didn't work all that well but did give me time for some minor reflection and I came back to this TOPIC about "Regulations" and all the billions of dollars we will gain when the "progressive" regulations are cut down and stamped out

In earlier posts we did get some examples, but no published information about policy from any group that could actually change anything. 

Now, I'm no internet search guru, don't subscirbe to Lexisnexis, and make no claim to digging to the point of finding all there is. But, I did stumble around on the Internet searching for "reducing federal regulations". I found lots and lots of "hits" but nothing of any real substance not authored by some interest group with obvious self interest. What I hoped to find was some political party that has actually proposed and published what kind of federal regulations they will eliminate if they have the power to do so. 

So I need help. The GOP has long held that too much federal regulation has bogged down our economy and stifled innovation. Could be. 

So, can someone help me find a policy position from the GOP (or any other political party of influnece) listing those federal regulations that will lift us from the doldrums of our failed business ventures? 

I thank you. Leslie thanks you.
(01-13-2017, 06:19 PM)Wonky3 Wrote: Having hit a bit of a low spot, I kicked out the hookers, drank the last of the Jim Beam, fed the dogs and made some soup to try to get back on track. Didn't work all that well but did give me time for some minor reflection and I came back to this TOPIC about "Regulations" and all the billions of dollars we will gain when the "progressive" regulations are cut down and stamped out

In earlier posts we did get some examples, but no published information about policy from any group that could actually change anything. 

Now, I'm no internet search guru, don't subscirbe to Lexisnexis, and make no claim to digging to the point of finding all there is. But, I did stumble around on the Internet searching for "reducing federal regulations". I found lots and lots of "hits" but nothing of any real substance not authored by some interest group with obvious self interest. What I hoped to find was some political party that has actually proposed and published what kind of federal regulations they will eliminate if they have the power to do so. 

So I need help. The GOP has long held that too much federal regulation has bogged down our economy and stifled innovation. Could be. 

So, can someone help me find a policy position from the GOP (or any other political party of influnece) listing those federal regulations that will lift us from the doldrums of our failed business ventures? 

Damn I wish I could find an article I read. It was about a bridge , I think that was built in 1922 at cost of one million bucks. And built in something like one year
Well today all these years later it now needs some maintenance. to the tune of 10 million and it will take five years to complete.
Forgive me if the numbers are off , but you get the idea.

Anyway does anyone think the bridges we build today would last almost 100 years? 

I think today if some poor schmuck falls in to the concrete we should just keep on pouring like they did when men were men. Razz
(01-13-2017, 06:41 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(01-13-2017, 06:19 PM)Wonky3 Wrote: Having hit a bit of a low spot, I kicked out the hookers, drank the last of the Jim Beam, fed the dogs and made some soup to try to get back on track. Didn't work all that well but did give me time for some minor reflection and I came back to this TOPIC about "Regulations" and all the billions of dollars we will gain when the "progressive" regulations are cut down and stamped out

Damn I wish I could find an article I read. It was about a bridge , I think that was built in 1922 at cost of one million bucks. And built in something like one year
Well today all these years later it now needs some maintenance. to the tune of 10 million and it will take five years to complete.

Anyway does anyone think the bridges we build today would last almost 100 years? 

I think today if some poor schmuck falls in to the concrete we should just keep on pouring like they did when men were men. Razz

Yeah, stuff wears out. Even things well built.
Still, I wonder about the regulations to be chopped that will save us tons of money. 
Lots of ANECDOTAL stories, but have yet to find any position papers or policy statements that flush out any details. 
I'm aware of your example of the stubby water heaters that don't need strapping. I'm looking for more than that.
(01-13-2017, 06:51 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:

I think today if some poor schmuck falls in to the concrete we should just keep on pouring like they did when men were men.

Still, I wonder about the regulations to be chopped that will save us tons of money. 
Lots of ANECDOTAL stories, but have yet to find any position papers or policy statements that flush out any details. 
I'm aware of your example of the stubby water heaters that don't need strapping. I'm looking for more than that.
Wonky, have you ever made the effort to talk to a business person? I listed Herman's number for you. Did you call his office?? Try it he is your rep. Regulation is hampering business big time. Osha showing up at my one person office and wasting several hours is a example. You don't have to be a rocket science to understand that regulations that hamper us " little" guys do the same on a statewide and federal level. Go talk to local business people here!! Who do you think has a better idea of what's going on? You, the others typing and those giving their opinion sitting behind their computer? Or do you think maybe the people that are the business owners may have a better idea of what's going on? As I told you earlier. I am a business owner all the life. ( owned a auto parts store at 19 and did well with that and sold it after 15 years) I refuse to hire more people, I refuse to build any more apartments, ( there is a housing shortage) I refuse to expand my wildfire suppression business any larger, I refuse to hire any more people for my dump trucks,belly dumps,log trucks, water trucks,dozer,excavator, backhoe, etc etc. I do have another large building projects starting up and when done requires very little as far as personal to run when complete,( I have another the same) I will hire very little to nobody on the latest project. Myself, partner brother, and our young sons, aged 22 to 16 will do it all!! Why it's not worth the crap hiring other people!! Period. What is the crap? Regulation!! Good grief, trump is a business person, why is he talking about cutting regulation?? Is it just to piss the left off??? Or maybe is it possible he as a point?? Think about it.. I'll give you a example of a national regulation from my automotive background. Safety regulations on new cars. Very high cost to implement. How about a basic standard and let the consumer have a choice ( I thought the left loves choice) on what they want to pay for . You want say side airbags, you click the option. You can pick your color, and a zillion of other options, but you can't pick the level of safety you want??

(01-16-2017, 03:03 PM)capitalist pig Wrote:

I think today if some poor schmuck falls in to the concrete we should just keep on pouring like they did when men were men.

Wonky, have you ever made the effort to talk to a business person? I listed Herman's number for you. Did you call his office?? Try it  he is your rep. Regulation is hampering business big time. Osha showing up at my one person office and wasting several hours is a example. You don't have to be a rocket science to understand that regulations that hamper us " little" guys do the same on a statewide and federal level. Go talk to local business people here!! Who do you think has a better idea of what's going on? You, the others typing and those giving their opinion sitting behind their computer? Or do you think maybe the people that are the business owners may have a better idea of what's going on?  As I told you earlier. I am a business owner all the life. ( owned a auto parts store at 19 and did well with that and sold it after 15 years) I refuse to hire more people, I refuse to build any more  apartments, ( there is a housing shortage) I refuse to expand my wildfire suppression business any larger, I refuse to hire any more people for my dump trucks,belly dumps,log trucks, water trucks,dozer,excavator, backhoe, etc etc. I do have another large building projects starting up and when done requires very little as far as personal to run when complete,( I have another the same)  I will hire very little to nobody on the latest project. Myself, partner brother,  and our young sons, aged 22 to 16 will do it all!! Why it's not worth the crap hiring other people!! Period. What is the crap?  Regulation!!  Good grief,  trump is a business person, why is he talking about cutting regulation?? Is it just to piss the left off???  Or maybe is it possible he as a point?? Think about it..   I'll give you a example of a national regulation from my automotive background.  Safety regulations on new cars. Very high cost to implement.  How about a basic standard and let the consumer have a choice  ( I thought the left loves choice) on what they want to pay for . You want say side airbags,  you click the option.  You can pick your color, and a zillion of other options,  but you can't pick the level of safety you want??  

Just curious. How much extra do you HAVE to pay for a car with the safety things you don't want.

Also as far as you "refusing" to hire people, what is the biggest issue with you hiring people?
(01-17-2017, 12:18 PM)tvguy Wrote:

Wonky, have you ever made the effort to talk to a business person? I listed Herman's number for you. Did you call his office?? Try it  he is your rep. Regulation is hampering business big time. Osha showing up at my one person office and wasting several hours is a example. You don't have to be a rocket science to understand that regulations that hamper us " little" guys do the same on a statewide and federal level. Go talk to local business people here!! Who do you think has a better idea of what's going on? You, the others typing and those giving their opinion sitting behind their computer? Or do you think maybe the people that are the business owners may have a better idea of what's going on?  As I told you earlier. I am a business owner all the life. ( owned a auto parts store at 19 and did well with that and sold it after 15 years) I refuse to hire more people, I refuse to build any more  apartments, ( there is a housing shortage) I refuse to expand my wildfire suppression business any larger, I refuse to hire any more people for my dump trucks,belly dumps,log trucks, water trucks,dozer,excavator, backhoe, etc etc. I do have another large building projects starting up and when done requires very little as far as personal to run when complete,( I have another the same)  I will hire very little to nobody on the latest project. Myself, partner brother,  and our young sons, aged 22 to 16 will do it all!! Why it's not worth the crap hiring other people!! Period. What is the crap?  Regulation!!  Good grief,  trump is a business person, why is he talking about cutting regulation?? Is it just to piss the left off???  Or maybe is it possible he as a point?? Think about it..   I'll give you a example of a national regulation from my automotive background.  Safety regulations on new cars. Very high cost to implement.  How about a basic standard and let the consumer have a choice  ( I thought the left loves choice) on what they want to pay for . You want say side airbags,  you click the option.  You can pick your color, and a zillion of other options,  but you can't pick the level of safety you want??  

Just curious. How much extra do you HAVE to pay for a car with the safety things you don't want.

Also as far as you "refusing" to hire people, what is the biggest issue with you hiring people?

Well, I think we should give CPig credit for a complet and thoughtful reply.

The problem I have with it is that it again uses mostly anecdotal information. 

The real issue here is what the GOP will do to deregulate industries to save those billions of dollars. 
They have had years to write the necessary legislation that could become policy.One would think that now they have a GOP President they would be thrilled to publish it and let us know what we might expect. True, Mr. Trump is not yet the president. But, the Congress IS in session, and it's a majority GOP congress. They could let us know what they are planning about deregulation, the "replacement" for ObamaCare, and how the tax rates are going to be lowered and still pay for "Infrastructure". 

Forgive me: I am cynical. I don't think there are plans in place because I don't thing the GOP has any WORKABLE plans in the hopper. Eight years to prepare. I'd like to see something concrete. 

I fear a train wreck ahead. I hope I'm wrong.
(01-17-2017, 03:58 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(01-13-2017, 06:41 PM)tvguy Wrote: Damn I wish I could find an article I read. It was about a bridge , I think that was built in 1922 at cost of one million bucks. And built in something like one year

The real issue here is what the GOP will do to deregulate industries to save those billions of dollars. 
They have had years to write the necessary legislation that could become policy.One would think that now they have a GOP President they would be thrilled to publish it and let us know what we might expect. True, Mr. Trump is not yet the president. But, the Congress IS in session, and it's a majority GOP congress. They could let us know what they are planning about deregulation, the "replacement" for ObamaCare, and how the tax rates are going to be lowered and still pay for "Infrastructure". 

Forgive me: I am cynical. I don't think there are plans in place because I don't thing the GOP has any WORKABLE plans in the hopper. Eight years to prepare. I'd like to see something concrete. 

When I have some time I can give you a real world example of fed regulation run amuck relating to me personally and many other businesses involved in the wildland firefighting " game" very costly for me and really costly for the large companies such as the graybacks of this world. It's rather long to spell it out correctly and I will include the necessary links to support this. I will also posts the links on how to get into this " game" and the dates for the yearly meeting take place in canyonville. This meeting is open to all and geared to those wanting to enter into the contracting world as newbies or just curious to the goings on. You can go through the steps of how to get a contract with zero dollars involved up until the end and then back out absolutely no big deal. If you are willing to take the time to do this and I bet you will not because I think your mind is already made up.( I'm guessing you have made no effort to talk to any local business or your rep) your head I can promise you will be spinning. In fact I would be willing to bet you will be unable to even put the deal together as you will become overwhelmed. Vehicle with driver along with other items is open this year. The vehicle with driver is as simple and basic as it gets in order to get into the fire game. Are you willing to take the challenge? Requires zero money only time. You up for it? Anyone here? Here's a link so you can poke around a little. Game on here. You can get a taste of what it is like to be in business dealing with the feds and regulation. https://www.fs.fed.us/business/incident/index.php
Let's see who's smart enough here on these forums to put the most simple contract together in the fire world. Vehicle with driver. Take a look at the link and sign up for the notice of the solicitation as it will be posting this month ( if the feds have their act together which is rare) tip, those of you here that are bored and want to make some extra money it's quite "simple"and fun. My 22 year old did it for the 2015 season, 2016 was a bomb, no fire in the west per say. My 22 year old invested 4000, and grossed 36,000 in 2016 for a 40 days worth of work and he did not run the vehicle himself. ( had a driver) he ran one of my engines at 400 a day and paid his driver 150 a day. All said and done he cleared about 25,000 on his truck and made thousands more running one of my engines. Game on Wonky or any others that want to play for real, or just for fun and the education. I need at least one to step up and have some interest or I'm not wasting my time.. let me know. Cheers.
(01-17-2017, 07:30 PM)capitalist pig Wrote:
(01-13-2017, 06:51 PM)Wonky3 Wrote: Yeah, stuff wears out. Even things well built.

When I have some time I can give you a real world example of fed regulation run amuck relating to me personally and many other businesses involved in the wildland firefighting " game"  very costly for me and really costly for the large companies such as the graybacks of this world.  It's rather long to spell it out correctly and I will include the necessary links to support this. I will also posts the links on how to get into this " game" and the dates for the yearly meeting take place in canyonville.  This meeting is open to all and geared to those wanting to enter into the contracting world  as newbies or just curious to the goings on.  You can go through the steps of how to get a contract with zero dollars involved up until the end and then back out absolutely no big deal. If you are willing to take the time to do this and I bet you will not because I think your mind is already made up.( I'm guessing you have made no effort to talk to any local business or your rep) your head I can promise you will be spinning. In fact I would be willing to bet you will be unable to even put the deal together as you will become overwhelmed.  Vehicle with driver along with other items is open this year. The vehicle with driver is as simple and basic as it gets in order to get into the fire game. Are you willing to take the challenge?  Requires zero money only time. You up for it?  Anyone here? Here's a link so you can poke around a little.  Game on here. You can get a taste of what it is like to be in business dealing with the feds and regulation.      https://www.fs.fed.us/business/incident/index.php
Let's see who's smart enough here on these forums to put the most simple contract together in the fire world.  Vehicle with driver.  Take a look at the link and sign up for the notice of the solicitation as it will be posting this month ( if the feds have their act together which is rare)  tip, those of you here that are bored and want to make some extra money it's quite "simple"and fun. My 22 year old did it for the 2015 season,  2016 was a bomb, no fire in the west per say. My 22 year old invested 4000, and grossed 36,000 in 2016 for a 40 days worth of work and he did not run the vehicle himself. ( had a driver)  he ran one of my engines at 400 a day and paid his driver 150 a day. All said and done he cleared about 25,000 on his truck and made thousands more running one of my engines.    Game on Wonky or any others that want to play for real, or just for fun and the education.  I need at least one to step up and have some interest or I'm not wasting my time.. let me know. Cheers.

I think there is some great advice in this post. I have heard from a friend that is in the firefighting business that a water truck business contracting with the state or the Feds can make very good money. When he talked about it, it seemed to be a great opportunity for someone that can buy a truck. If it's that easy perhaps I should look into it. I always figured there were more water truck contractors then needed.
(01-17-2017, 09:10 PM)cletus1 Wrote:
(01-17-2017, 07:30 PM)capitalist pig Wrote:
(01-16-2017, 03:03 PM)capitalist pig Wrote: Wonky, have you ever made the effort to talk to a business person? I listed Herman's number for you. Did you call his office?? Try it  he is your rep. Regulation is hampering business big time. Osha showing up at my one person office and wasting several hours is a example. You don't have to be a rocket science to understand that regulations that hamper us " little" guys do the same on a statewide and federal level. Go talk to local business people here!! Who do you think has a better idea of what's going on? You, the others typing and those giving their opinion sitting behind their computer? Or do you think maybe the people that are the business owners may have a better idea of what's going on?  As I told you earlier. I am a business owner all the life. ( owned a auto parts store at 19 and did well with that and sold it after 15 years) I refuse to hire more people, I refuse to build any more  apartments, ( there is a housing shortage) I refuse to expand my wildfire suppression business any larger, I refuse to hire any more people for my dump trucks,belly dumps,log trucks, water trucks,dozer,excavator, backhoe, etc etc. I do have another large building projects starting up and when done requires very little as far as personal to run when complete,( I have another the same)  I will hire very little to nobody on the latest project. Myself, partner brother,  and our young sons, aged 22 to 16 will do it all!! Why it's not worth the crap hiring other people!! Period. What is the crap?  Regulation!!  Good grief,  trump is a business person, why is he talking about cutting regulation?? Is it just to piss the left off???  Or maybe is it possible he as a point?? Think about it..   I'll give you a example of a national regulation from my automotive background.  Safety regulations on new cars. Very high cost to implement.  How about a basic standard and let the consumer have a choice  ( I thought the left loves choice) on what they want to pay for . You want say side airbags,  you click the option.  You can pick your color, and a zillion of other options,  but you can't pick the level of safety you want??  

When I have some time I can give you a real world example of fed regulation run amuck relating to me personally and many other businesses involved in the wildland firefighting " game"  very costly for me and really costly for the large companies such as the graybacks of this world.  It's rather long to spell it out correctly and I will include the necessary links to support this. I will also posts the links on how to get into this " game" and the dates for the yearly meeting take place in canyonville.  This meeting is open to all and geared to those wanting to enter into the contracting world  as newbies or just curious to the goings on.  You can go through the steps of how to get a contract with zero dollars involved up until the end and then back out absolutely no big deal. If you are willing to take the time to do this and I bet you will not because I think your mind is already made up.( I'm guessing you have made no effort to talk to any local business or your rep) your head I can promise you will be spinning. In fact I would be willing to bet you will be unable to even put the deal together as you will become overwhelmed.  Vehicle with driver along with other items is open this year. The vehicle with driver is as simple and basic as it gets in order to get into the fire game. Are you willing to take the challenge?  Requires zero money only time. You up for it?  Anyone here? Here's a link so you can poke around a little.  Game on here. You can get a taste of what it is like to be in business dealing with the feds and regulation.      https://www.fs.fed.us/business/incident/index.php
Let's see who's smart enough here on these forums to put the most simple contract together in the fire world.  Vehicle with driver.  Take a look at the link and sign up for the notice of the solicitation as it will be posting this month ( if the feds have their act together which is rare)  tip, those of you here that are bored and want to make some extra money it's quite "simple"and fun. My 22 year old did it for the 2015 season,  2016 was a bomb, no fire in the west per say. My 22 year old invested 4000, and grossed 36,000 in 2016 for a 40 days worth of work and he did not run the vehicle himself. ( had a driver)  he ran one of my engines at 400 a day and paid his driver 150 a day. All said and done he cleared about 25,000 on his truck and made thousands more running one of my engines.    Game on Wonky or any others that want to play for real, or just for fun and the education.  I need at least one to step up and have some interest or I'm not wasting my time.. let me know. Cheers.

I think there is some great advice in this post. I have heard from a friend that is in the firefighting business that a water truck business contracting with the state or the Feds can make very good money. When he talked about it, it seemed to be a great opportunity for someone that can buy a truck. If it's that easy perhaps I should look into it. I always figured there were more water truck contractors then needed.
Many different ways to be in the fire world. Many think water trucks which I also have is all there is, not so. I specialize in the firefighting end of things (engines) along with other things. My point of this whole thing is to answer wonky on what regulation does and how much time is spent dealing with it. ( this scales up to a national level with a individual to mega corporations) the best way to learn something is to do it. You can do all the steps here and not spend a penny and then not take the next step. Take the next step the money starts and even more time. Anyone here want a lesson on how " easy" it is do this?? Lol be warned you will spend a fair amount to vast amount of time depending on how smart you are.
I forgot to add, the contract for engines 30 years ago ( I have a friend still doing it from that far back) was under 5 pages, around a 100 pages now, remember wonky you are confused with how regulations add to costs. 5 pages vs around 100 now, think about that. Cheers