Lets protest against te weather LOL
(02-03-2017, 09:39 AM)Juniper Wrote:
(02-02-2017, 08:57 PM)chuck white Wrote:
(02-02-2017, 07:37 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(02-02-2017, 10:47 AM)Wonky3 Wrote: Who wants to take a shot at forecasting the onset of the infamous Valley of the Rogue "False Spring". 

I no longer keep a journal, so damned if I can rembered from year to year, but I do remember it happens. 

The sun actually starts warming the skin, daffodils start popping up, grass gets green, and things start blooming. Young  men start feeling "a fancy", and puppies escape and run all over the neighborhood. We take the cover off the BBQ. 

Then: WHAMO!

Back to winter. "Never plant until AFTER Mother's day". 

I just can't remember when it happens.  Wink

False spring. I just used that term today to my co worker who is from Ohio. She was marvelling at the February weather. I said it was a false spring. Enough to bring the daffodils up.  March is usually miserable. April can be at times.

Not this year. Global warming and such March comes in February, April comes in March, May comes in April.

I'm going to start planting eggs for a crop of chickens. I'm going to plant brown eggs this year. The white eggs I planted last year never grew.

I myself, don't find that to be true.  If I  plant my peas in March they rot in the ground.  If I plant my tomatoes in April they freeze.  The warm days are just teaser days.  Good luck with your egg crop.  I'd like to see pictures. Wink

Just Plant Walla Wallas EARLY end of March or so.

[Image: 12573686_1013082082083032_52709034235862...e=590D676A]
Guess I'll have to get on it on the onions. For some reason my onions did not do well last year.
(02-03-2017, 03:06 PM)Juniper Wrote: Guess I'll have to get on it on the onions. For some reason my onions did not do well last year.

Mine did great. Got 'em at the weekly produce outlet where the farmers bring the stuff in I am too lazy (and stoopid) to grow. 
And I DO like Walla Walla onions!
(02-03-2017, 03:06 PM)Juniper Wrote: Guess I'll have to get on it on the onions. For some reason my onions did not do well last year.

If you didn't plant them EARLY like I said, THAT is the problem.

My buddy had this old guy that lived next door. He was of course an expert on everything. He said you HAVE to plant onions in the fall and then harvest them next spring or early summer.
And if you didn't they would only be as big as golf balls.
I told him that was silly and that I grew huge onions by planting then at the end of March.
He basically called me a liar and me and my buddy just laughed about it because he was a really cool old guy. WW2 Veteran.
And then at the end of summer I gave some huge onions to my friend and told him to make sure and show the old man.
He did and even with the tops still on the onion and the dirt not even washed from the roots. the old guy claimed I went and bought them Laughing Laughing Laughing
(02-03-2017, 05:51 PM)tvguy Wrote:

My buddy had this old guy that lived next door. He was of course an expert on everything. He said you HAVE to plant onions in the fall and then harvest them next spring or early summer.
I told him that was silly and that I grew huge onions by planting then at the end of March.
He basically called me a liar and me and my buddy just laughed about it because he was a really cool old guy. WW2 Veteran.
And then at the end of summer I gave some huge onions to my friend and told him to make sure and show the old man.
He did and even with the tops still on the onion and the dirt not even washed from the roots. the old guy claimed I went and bought them Laughing Laughing Laughing

See, TVg, the thing you STILL have to learn is that even when we old guys are wrong, we are right.  Razz
(02-03-2017, 06:49 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(02-03-2017, 05:51 PM)tvguy Wrote:

See, TVg, the thing you STILL have to learn is that even when we old guys are wrong, we are right.  Razz

Right! Confused