Lets protest against te weather LOL
 Details

We will be gathering for this event on Tuesday, February 7th & Wednesday, February 8th.
We will run 3 shifts each day:
8-10 am, 12-2 pm, and 4-6 pm

This will be a PEACEFUL protest against Pacific Power & Light regarding our dishonest, horrendous December power bills and we will have live news coverage at this event.
The reasoning behind their actions do not add up. We know December was a brutal month for weather. However, MANY of us consciously conserved our energy. Many of us use wood heat and have gas water heaters. Many of us were not home for long periods of time for the holidays. Many of us had our thermostats set below 68°. Many of us lost power completely. Lastly, many of us had nothing different.

We know that the weather conditions made it impossible for the meter readers to be able to read some of our meters, although not all of us.

Pacific Power chose to add several days to our billing statements to supposedly compensate for the missing days the meters could not be read. The extra days on our bills may have thrown us into another "block" in our usage. The second block rates are higher than the first block.
We believe that IF indeed the extremely high spike in our bills were do to the extra days, as Pacific Power claims, they should have at least informed us of their intent and added the extra days on the following statement instead. So many seniors, people on fixed incomes and single parents struggle each month, budgeting their monthly bills. This increase is going to cripple our community tremendously.
Our hearts go out to the people, the elderly, the children and babies who are freezing in their homes right now because they have lowered their thermostats so low, in fear of not knowing what next month may hold.
People this month are having to choose between, food, medicines or heat. This is outrageous!!! We want compensation for all of us.

We want to emphasize that this protest is NOT aimed in anyway towards our lineman. We thank them for their hard work and continuously putting their lives in jeopardy for us. We thank them for the long hours and days they worked after the terrible storms we recently had and for those that may still come.
The following rules will apply to all participating:
1- We ask that everyone please make two signs, one for yourselves and one for anyone who may wish to join us that doesn't have one.
2- Do not park in the Dutch Bros parking lot. I believe the parking lot where Magic Man used to be is vacant or we may have to park in the plaza where Safeway is.
3- We WILL NOT block the PPL service trucks from moving in and out of the driveway. These lineman need to be able to do their job...we need them!!!
4- This is a peaceful protest. Political rants will not be tolerated...PERIOD!
5- PLEASE SHARE THIS EVENT AND ADD ANY INVITES YOU WISH.

THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH FOR YOUR INTEREST AND PARTICIPATION....LET'S DO THIS!!!
? the block rates should be based on the number of days in the billing cycle. If this is not the case, somebody needs to file a complaint with the PUC
(02-01-2017, 01:55 PM)chuck white Wrote: ? the block rates should be based on the number of days in the billing cycle. If this is not the case, somebody needs to file a complaint with the PUC

There are two blocks. This is meant to encourage people to use less power since the first block is cheaper than block two.
There isn't a whole lot of difference. which is why their idea about the block rates making their bill so much higher is not true

Just take your own bill and see the difference you pay per KWH from block one to block two and you will see what I mean.
If they didn't read the meters and just guessed(?) it should even out next month when they do shouldn't it?
(02-01-2017, 04:16 PM)Valuesize Wrote: If they didn't read the meters and just guessed(?) it should even out next month when they do shouldn't it?

Yes that is exactly right.
Our bill was right on par. I can appreciate some folks may have had a higher than average bill, but a lot of factors could be in play, the one thing this is not is some Pacific power con job. If you don't like the meter reading rules than request a smart meter.
(02-01-2017, 04:35 PM)GPnative Wrote: Our bill was right on par. I can appreciate some folks may have had a higher than average bill, but a lot of factors could be in play, the one thing this is not is some Pacific power con job. If you don't like the meter reading rules than request a smart meter.

Damned if I want a meter smarter than me. (My dog was smarter than me, but I outlived the little turd)
(02-01-2017, 05:41 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(02-01-2017, 04:35 PM)GPnative Wrote: Our bill was right on par. I can appreciate some folks may have had a higher than average bill, but a lot of factors could be in play, the one thing this is not is some Pacific power con job. If you don't like the meter reading rules than request a smart meter.

Damned if I want a meter smarter than me. (My dog was smarter than me, but I outlived the little turd)

Smart meters haven't been deployed in Southern Oregon yet. But they're coming.
I guess it would matter if your close to just using the block 1

If I'm 100 KWH over on average and they ding me for a couple days, I get billed for 120 KWH, next month would be shorter and I only get billed for 80 KWH. cost would be the same.
In the past we have had the same problem with our bill spiking. In our case and the neighbors case it was because our meters didn't get read. When the wife called they sent someone out and read our meters and our bill went down some. They just averaged the bill and applied that amount.
Who wants to take a shot at forecasting the onset of the infamous Valley of the Rogue "False Spring". 

I no longer keep a journal, so damned if I can rembered from year to year, but I do remember it happens. 

The sun actually starts warming the skin, daffodils start popping up, grass gets green, and things start blooming. Young  men start feeling "a fancy", and puppies escape and run all over the neighborhood. We take the cover off the BBQ. 

Then: WHAMO!

Back to winter. "Never plant until AFTER Mother's day". 

I just can't remember when it happens.  Wink
There is usually one - two weeks in February every year.
(02-02-2017, 11:00 AM)Hugo Wrote: There is usually one - two weeks in February every year.

?? There is usually four weeks in February every year, some times four weeks and a day.
(02-02-2017, 01:57 PM)chuck white Wrote:
(02-02-2017, 11:00 AM)Hugo Wrote: There is usually one - two weeks in February every year.

?? There is usually four weeks in February every year, some times four weeks and a day.

You know what. Chuck? I think your'e the kind of guy who could sit down at a perfectly good poker game and suggest that duces, one eyed jacks, two jokers, and red queens are all wild. And THEN, not ante, insist on two blinds and get BBQ chips all over the table.  Laughing
(02-02-2017, 02:12 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(02-02-2017, 01:57 PM)chuck white Wrote:

You know what. Chuck? I think your'e the kind of guy who could sit down at a perfectly good poker game and suggest that duces, one eyed jacks, two jokers, and red queens are all wild. And THEN, not ante, insist on two blinds and get BBQ chips all over the table.  Laughing

So you're on to me. Though nobody noticed, I used BBQ chips instead of poker chips. Laughing
(02-02-2017, 10:47 AM)Wonky3 Wrote: Who wants to take a shot at forecasting the onset of the infamous Valley of the Rogue "False Spring". 

I no longer keep a journal, so damned if I can rembered from year to year, but I do remember it happens. 

The sun actually starts warming the skin, daffodils start popping up, grass gets green, and things start blooming. Young  men start feeling "a fancy", and puppies escape and run all over the neighborhood. We take the cover off the BBQ. 

False spring. I just used that term today to my co worker who is from Ohio. She was marvelling at the February weather. I said it was a false spring. Enough to bring the daffodils up.  March is usually miserable. April can be at times.
(02-02-2017, 07:37 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(02-02-2017, 10:47 AM)Wonky3 Wrote: Who wants to take a shot at forecasting the onset of the infamous Valley of the Rogue "False Spring". 

False spring. I just used that term today to my co worker who is from Ohio. She was marvelling at the February weather. I said it was a false spring. Enough to bring the daffodils up.  March is usually miserable. April can be at times.

Not this year. Global warming and such March comes in February, April comes in March, May comes in April.

I'm going to start planting eggs for a crop of chickens. I'm going to plant brown eggs this year. The white eggs I planted last year never grew.
(02-02-2017, 08:57 PM)chuck white Wrote:

Not this year. Global warming and such March comes in February, April comes in March, May comes in April.

I'm going to start planting eggs for a crop of chickens. I'm going to plant brown eggs this year. The white eggs I planted last year never grew.

I'd almost bet you neglected to bury a dead fish with the eggs.

Too bad I've never had a problem growing egg plants. I just didn't start them as seeds like you.

I myself, don't find that to be true.  If I  plant my peas in March they rot in the ground.  If I plant my tomatoes in April they freeze.  The warm days are just teaser days.  Good luck with your egg crop.  I'd like to see pictures. Wink