Another Lame Levy
(03-06-2017, 03:54 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(03-06-2017, 03:50 PM)Willie Krash Wrote: Traffic fines in Oregon are incredibly high. Portland style high. Giving out tickets makes it tough to pass a levy.

Some how I NEVER get caught speeding.. knock on wood (my head).

I think 95% of the cops in Medford hand out on the west side because I just never see them.

I got a speeding ticket a couple years ago for the blazing fast speed of 28. It was a 20 mph school zone, and the first day of school, I had totally forgotten that fact. Regular speed is 35 in this spot, In my mind I thought I was under the limit that day when I drove past the officer.
(03-06-2017, 05:43 PM)GPnative Wrote:
(03-06-2017, 03:50 PM)Willie Krash Wrote: Traffic fines in Oregon are incredibly high. Portland style high. Giving out tickets makes it tough to pass a levy.

I think 95% of the cops in Medford hand out on the west side because I just never see them.

I got a speeding ticket a couple years ago for the blazing fast speed of 28. It was a 20 mph school zone, and the first day of school, I had totally forgotten that fact. Regular speed is 35 in this spot, In my mind I thought I was under the limit that day when I drove past the officer.

Forget speeding tickets.
I have sat at red lights and watched cars go by. 1 out of 10 had a cell phone held to their ear.
I believe that is a $600 ticket.
(03-06-2017, 06:29 PM)chuck white Wrote:

Forget speeding tickets.
I have sat at red lights and watched cars go by. 1 out of 10 had a cell phone held to their ear.

That's more dangerous too.
(03-06-2017, 06:29 PM)chuck white Wrote:

Forget speeding tickets.
 I got one a couple of years ago and it sure as hell didn't cost me 600 bucks.
(03-06-2017, 01:52 PM)chuck white Wrote:
(03-06-2017, 10:17 AM)lonerock Wrote:
(03-05-2017, 06:33 PM)chuck white Wrote:
(03-05-2017, 05:41 PM)lonerock Wrote:
(03-05-2017, 03:12 PM)chuck white Wrote: So, I retire in another state,  come here spend a good size of my nest egg on a 10 million dollar mansion. Pay $300 property tax, retired income is zero, so that's it. $300 a year.
Unlikely you would have zero income while trying to maintain a 10 mil estate. Realistically this is not a probable scenario. If someone had this situation they wouldn't be paying in fed or state income tax so the U.S., Oregon or Josephine county would not benefit.
I'll give you a more likely scenario. A person moves here 50 years ago and buys a house for $25,000. Their property taxes are next to nothing thanks to tax money brought in by the timber industry plus the low value of the house. Fast forward 30 years and the person retires on fixed SS income and nothing else. The house is now worth $100,000 and the much higher taxes reflect this. Fast forward another 20 years to the present and the house is worth $250,000 because it's in a desirable neighborhood. Now this person who has had a rather meager SS income for the last 20 years and seen his property taxes go up every single year and finally gets a tax bill he no longer can afford to pay and must move from his house after living there 50 years

I think my scenario is much more likely since I've seen it happen.

Except the property tax increase is capped at 3%, so that is not going to happen.
What would happen is all the retires that are living off their savings, would all have a $300 property tax, no matter how big of an estate they have.
Some people would put their property in their kids name. (they have no income)

Actually it's the assessed  value that has a cap of 3% PER YEAR. And yes I do know someone who was forced into selling their house because of rising property taxes and there are others in the same boat. If you multiply 3% compounded every year over a 20 year period then that can add up to a staggering amount in assessed value and taxes.

You are coming up with these scenarios  that are so far fetched we might as well include alien invasions in the mix. Show me someone who is living entirely off their saving. Show me someone with a $10mil house with no income. If someone put their property in their kids name they would still be subject to a county wide income tax and someone would still have to pay the base amount of $300 for the property.

My idea isn't fool proof but it represents a starting point that would keep low income people in their homes. Our federal and state income taxes are based on a sliding scale that considers peoples ability to pay. So why should property taxes be different. Why should someone scraping by below the poverty level be thrown in with someone earning high wages. It would be like making everyone pay the same amount of income taxes regardless of their wage. The current property tax system is that same injustice and needs to be revamped and what I 've suggested is merely a starting point for discussion.

You are mixing property tax with income tax.  So somebody like President Trump , who pays no income tax would pay $300 a year for Trump Tower.

Extreme Rich often pay little or no income taxes. Now you want to give them a big break on property taxes.

It would take 25 years to double your property tax at 3% per year. I bet you food price doubles before that.

Doubling someones tax rate would be a lot for some people but apparently you're rich and can afford it but others below the poverty level might have a harder time.
If we have a county income tax it doesn't mean it has to be the same as the feds or state. If you use your imagination you could do something like use gross income but have a cap on how much could be considered, sort of like social security.

It's becoming apparent that you are dead set against changing the current system and not open to new possibilities and that's why things unfortunately don't change. It's sort of sad because in the mean time low income families will continue to struggle to pay property taxes. But apparently you'll be okay so I  guess it doesn't matter.

As for me, I  said my piece and now it's time to move on to other things.
(03-06-2017, 06:49 PM)lonerock Wrote:
(03-05-2017, 06:33 PM)chuck white Wrote:
(03-05-2017, 05:41 PM)lonerock Wrote: Unlikely you would have zero income while trying to maintain a 10 mil estate. Realistically this is not a probable scenario. If someone had this situation they wouldn't be paying in fed or state income tax so the U.S., Oregon or Josephine county would not benefit.
I'll give you a more likely scenario. A person moves here 50 years ago and buys a house for $25,000. Their property taxes are next to nothing thanks to tax money brought in by the timber industry plus the low value of the house. Fast forward 30 years and the person retires on fixed SS income and nothing else. The house is now worth $100,000 and the much higher taxes reflect this. Fast forward another 20 years to the present and the house is worth $250,000 because it's in a desirable neighborhood. Now this person who has had a rather meager SS income for the last 20 years and seen his property taxes go up every single year and finally gets a tax bill he no longer can afford to pay and must move from his house after living there 50 years

I think my scenario is much more likely since I've seen it happen.

Except the property tax increase is capped at 3%, so that is not going to happen.
What would happen is all the retires that are living off their savings, would all have a $300 property tax, no matter how big of an estate they have.

Actually it's the assessed  value that has a cap of 3% PER YEAR. And yes I do know someone who was forced into selling their house because of rising property taxes and there are others in the same boat. If you multiply 3% compounded every year over a 20 year period then that can add up to a staggering amount in assessed value and taxes.

You are coming up with these scenarios  that are so far fetched we might as well include alien invasions in the mix. Show me someone who is living entirely off their saving. Show me someone with a $10mil house with no income. If someone put their property in their kids name they would still be subject to a county wide income tax and someone would still have to pay the base amount of $300 for the property.

My idea isn't fool proof but it represents a starting point that would keep low income people in their homes. Our federal and state income taxes are based on a sliding scale that considers peoples ability to pay. So why should property taxes be different. Why should someone scraping by below the poverty level be thrown in with someone earning high wages. It would be like making everyone pay the same amount of income taxes regardless of their wage. The current property tax system is that same injustice and needs to be revamped and what I 've suggested is merely a starting point for discussion.

You are mixing property tax with income tax.  So somebody like President Trump , who pays no income tax would pay $300 a year for Trump Tower.

Extreme Rich often pay little or no income taxes. Now you want to give them a big break on property taxes.

It would take 25 years to double your property tax at 3% per year. I bet you food price doubles before that.

Doubling someones tax rate would be a lot for some people but apparently you're rich and can afford it but others below the poverty level might have a harder time.
If we have a county income tax it doesn't mean it has to be the same as the feds or state. If you use your imagination you could do something like use gross income but have a cap on how much could be considered, sort of like social security.

It's becoming apparent that you are dead set against changing the current system and not open to new possibilities and that's why things unfortunately don't change. It's sort of sad because in the mean time low income families will continue to struggle to pay property taxes. But apparently you'll be okay so I  guess it doesn't matter.

And, said it well.
So, how do you feel about accordions in C&W bands.  Big Grin
(03-06-2017, 07:35 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(03-05-2017, 06:33 PM)chuck white Wrote: Except the property tax increase is capped at 3%, so that is not going to happen.

And, said it well.
That's funny because an old friend of mine were talking and I said I really likes the accordions used in Cajun music and he felt the same.
I thought I was the only one.
(03-06-2017, 08:14 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(03-06-2017, 10:17 AM)lonerock Wrote: Actually it's the assessed  value that has a cap of 3% PER YEAR. And yes I do know someone who was forced into selling their house because of rising property taxes and there are others in the same boat. If you multiply 3% compounded every year over a 20 year period then that can add up to a staggering amount in assessed value and taxes.

And, said it well.
That's funny because an old friend of mine were talking and I said I really likes the accordions used in Cajun music and he felt the same.

I'm still fond of the bumper sticker, "Play the accordion, go to jail!"
(03-06-2017, 10:17 AM)lonerock Wrote: Actually it's the assessed  value that has a cap of 3% PER YEAR. And yes I do know someone who was forced into selling their house because of rising property taxes and there are others in the same boat. If you multiply 3% compounded every year over a 20 year period then that can add up to a staggering amount in assessed value and taxes.

And, said it well.

Oh hell no! I enjoy a little Zydeco on occasion.
(03-06-2017, 06:49 PM)lonerock Wrote: Doubling someones tax rate would be a lot for some people but apparently you're rich and can afford it but others below the poverty level might have a harder time.

If you look back, I did  offer a new possibility. A per Acre fee.

Most older folks on fixed income don't live on 100 Acre plots.

People who live in a denser environment like the city, would be impacted the least. They also live mostly, in the city, which has police services.

The folks in the country would pay more, because of their larger lots. This is justifiable by the fact, larger spread out property, cost more to patrol.

Think about this: Take ten random spots in the city that a police officer has to go to and ten random spots in the county a police officer has to go to.

What will take the most time and how much more mileage on the patrol car. (Remember patrol cars are a very expensive piece of equipment, not your ordinary car.)

per Acre tax makes since. plus it would pass easier.
(03-06-2017, 09:02 PM)Cuzz Wrote:
(03-06-2017, 01:52 PM)chuck white Wrote: You are mixing property tax with income tax.  So somebody like President Trump , who pays no income tax would pay $300 a year for Trump Tower.

And, said it well.

My wife was on that for a while. A ton of bad side affects.
(03-06-2017, 10:02 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(03-06-2017, 06:49 PM)lonerock Wrote: Doubling someones tax rate would be a lot for some people but apparently you're rich and can afford it but others below the poverty level might have a harder time.

And, said it well.

Why do they call them 'side effects'?
They are the effects.
(03-06-2017, 10:12 PM)chuck white Wrote:
(03-06-2017, 07:35 PM)Wonky3 Wrote: And, said it well.

They are the effects.

Oh yeah.
(03-06-2017, 10:19 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(03-06-2017, 08:14 PM)tvguy Wrote: That's funny because an old friend of mine were talking and I said I really likes the accordions used in Cajun music and he felt the same.

They are the effects.

Oh yeah.

Funny.... I didn't notice any bad.
(03-06-2017, 11:31 PM)Cuzz Wrote:
(03-06-2017, 09:02 PM)Cuzz Wrote: Oh hell no! I enjoy a little Zydeco on occasion.

They are the effects.

Oh yeah.

Really? What's that growth on your nose?  Razz
(03-07-2017, 03:57 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(03-06-2017, 11:31 PM)Cuzz Wrote:
(03-06-2017, 10:02 PM)tvguy Wrote: My wife was on that for a while. A ton of bad side affects.

They are the effects.

Oh yeah.

Really? What's that growth on your nose?  Razz

Can't tell.... something seems to be blocking my vision.   Confused
Just one quick question. Does Josephine County still "lodge" prisoners into it's jail? When I lived in Grants Pass. I thought Josephine County was soft on crime. When I was a cop, I booked people into the King County jail. I was lodged when I rented a hotel room. It's all in the wording, so be it. Did Steve McGarott ever say to Dano. "Lodge him, Dano!" Uh, no
(03-08-2017, 07:23 PM)Oscar Wrote: Just one quick question. Does Josephine County still "lodge" prisoners into it's jail? When I lived in Grants Pass. I thought Josephine County was soft on crime. When I was a cop, I booked people into the King County jail. I was lodged when I rented a hotel room. It's all in the wording, so be it. Did Steve McGarott ever say to Dano. "Lodge him, Dano!" Uh, no

Sorry...wasn't quick enough.  Razz
(03-08-2017, 07:23 PM)Oscar Wrote: Just one quick question. Does Josephine County still "lodge" prisoners into it's jail? When I lived in Grants Pass. I thought Josephine County was soft on crime. When I was a cop, I booked people into the King County jail. I was lodged when I rented a hotel room. It's all in the wording, so be it. Did Steve McGarott ever say to Dano. "Lodge him, Dano!" Uh, no

Well room service is awful, the food is bad and there's no HBO.

So how often do you book a room at hotels?