Another Lame Levy
(03-04-2017, 06:54 PM)lonerock Wrote:
(03-04-2017, 05:57 PM)chuck white Wrote: We currently pay the county .75 per 1000, That is for the county, Grants Pass pays Over $6 per 1000. But that pays for fire and GPPD, (and over paid city employees). Also space at the jail.

Do we really need to increase the county tax by more than double?

Remember City residents pay the county tax on top of their city tax, they don't get out of a county levy.

They also have the higher assess values and will carry most of the revenue.

If they structured the levy tax on a per acre amount rather than a per value. The smaller lots in the city would pay very little. The larger population of voters would suffer little. The larger land owners, who are fewer in numbers, would be forced to pay the highest amounts.

Interesting concept but size of acreage is not a great indicator of how much money people have. A large apartment complex on small acreage could end up paying far less than someone on a larger rural piece of land, even though they may be below the federal poverty level.

If i were to change the system I  would charge all property owners a flat rate of lets say $300. If more money was needed to operate the government then there would be a county income tax. The tax rate would be on a sliding scale sort of like the feds use. Those below the fed poverty level would pay nothing beyond the flat rate and it would go up from there depending on income. Right now any tax measure is always pitting the "haves"versus the "have nots" and this is why they often fail - in addition to a general and sometimes reasonable mistrust of government.

Are you saying $300 total for county, state and city?
or is this $300 for the county on top of the city and state.?
I can help the fine people of JoCo out. I'm experienced Police Officer in Seattle. I will patrol JoCo for say $1 a month and provide my own equipment. As long as I get the authority from JoCo to become a road deputy. However how would I look if I was a cop in Cave Junction on patrol; driving an AMC Gremlin?

Yes, I worked as a cop in Seattle. I have experience working riots. Does Grants Pass have riots where windows get smashed and Kitchen Company gets looted? Just curious.

As a deputy, could I tame Wilderville? Can one cop turn Wilderville into Milderville? No.

Do JoCo deputies catch crooks, like Oregon fishermen catch fish? You know catch and release?

Are JoCo deputies as tactical trained as Barney Fife? No, they very good Officers, who do there best with tools they have. Including the tools in JoCo Government leadership positions.

Is the current Sheriff in JoCo Rosco P. Coltrane? Sometimes, that might be true.

I'm I being funny? No, Oscar you being annoying. I say it's time I STFU now. Well, that is certainly true. One last thing. How can we blame this on Donald Trump?
(03-04-2017, 05:12 PM)Valuesize Wrote:
(03-04-2017, 12:08 PM)lonerock Wrote:
(03-04-2017, 11:47 AM)Valuesize Wrote: Just curious, how's the Sheriff Daniel working out? Improvement over Gill?

Daniel seems better than Gil by a long shot.

In reference to your earlier remarks about property tax mine run over  $9 per $1000 where I  live in Josephine county. This may not be the highest rate in Oregon and I 'm sure others in the state are paying more than you do. So what? If this is some kind of competition to see who pays the highest rate then I would be happy to be on the losing end of that contest. Those with the higher rates usually have the greater problems, such as high crime rates, requiring more $$$.

If you want more services you need to pay for them. I gladly pay $1000 a year more to have the services I do. That's why I said "You get what you pay for."
Problem is, you don't always get what you pay for. Money earmarked for certain projects often get diverted to other things including hefty administrative costs to oversee the project. Plus of course, what one person sees as a needed expenditure others may see it as a frivolous waste of money. I think people have different expectations of how much government, should be involved in their lives. Some may want cradle to grave care provided by the government while others may follow Jefferson's "that government is best which governs least" .  Others may fall some where in between those two extremes. Of course many people are low income families who simply can not afford to throw out more money for taxes. You might give some thought to them when you're voting on that extra $1000 in taxes.

So, if you are happy paying more taxes then good for you. As for me, I 'll continue to scrutinize where my tax dollars go and demand accountability and transparency from government officials.
(03-04-2017, 09:37 PM)Oscar Wrote: I can help the fine people of JoCo out. I'm experienced Police Officer in Seattle. I will patrol JoCo for say $1 a month and provide my own equipment. As long as I get the authority from JoCo to become a road deputy. However how would I look if I was a cop in Cave Junction on patrol; driving an AMC Gremlin?

Yes, I worked as a cop in Seattle. I have experience working riots. Does Grants Pass have riots where windows get smashed and Kitchen Company gets looted? Just curious.

As a deputy, could I tame Wilderville? Can one cop turn Wilderville into Milderville? No.

Do JoCo deputies catch crooks, like Oregon fishermen catch fish? You know catch and release?

Are JoCo deputies as tactical trained as Barney Fife? No, they very good Officers, who do there best with tools they have. Including the tools in JoCo Government leadership positions.

Is the current Sheriff in JoCo Rosco P. Coltrane? Sometimes, that might be true.

I'm I being funny? No, Oscar you being annoying. I say it's time I STFU now. Well, that is certainly true. One last thing. How can we blame this on Donald Trump?

I think if you're patrolling Jo co in a Grimlin that alone could scare criminals straight. Please bring your Grimlin and sign on the dotted line for your $1 (i assume that includes benefits) As for Wilderville, I  don't think we really want to make it any milder than it already is.
Sorry to report that riots are rare around here so that part of your training may go to waste. But stay tuned because some of Trump's actions may lead to riots. But then he could just invite his Russian friends over to stop any rioting so again, you couldn't use your training.
(03-04-2017, 07:35 PM)chuck white Wrote:
(03-04-2017, 05:57 PM)chuck white Wrote: We currently pay the county .75 per 1000, That is for the county, Grants Pass pays Over $6 per 1000. But that pays for fire and GPPD, (and over paid city employees). Also space at the jail.

Remember City residents pay the county tax on top of their city tax, they don't get out of a county levy.

If they structured the levy tax on a per acre amount rather than a per value. The smaller lots in the city would pay very little. The larger population of voters would suffer little. The larger land owners, who are fewer in numbers, would be forced to pay the highest amounts.

Interesting concept but size of acreage is not a great indicator of how much money people have. A large apartment complex on small acreage could end up paying far less than someone on a larger rural piece of land, even though they may be below the federal poverty level.

If i were to change the system I  would charge all property owners a flat rate of lets say $300. If more money was needed to operate the government then there would be a county income tax. The tax rate would be on a sliding scale sort of like the feds use. Those below the fed poverty level would pay nothing beyond the flat rate and it would go up from there depending on income. Right now any tax measure is always pitting the "haves"versus the "have nots" and this is why they often fail - in addition to a general and sometimes reasonable mistrust of government.

Are you saying $300 total for  county, state and city?

The $300, along with the income tax, would be in lieu of existing county property taxes although it could possibly incorperate city taxes for those living in Grants Pass and Cave Junction. The county income taxes would be fairly minimal after payment by all property owners of the flat $300 yet like both federal and state income taxes it would take into account ones ability to pay. Right now it's possible that that there could be two families living in the same neighborhood and both paying the same moderately high property tax yet one family earns $500k a year and the other is trying to survive with an income that the feds consider below the federal poverty level. Is this fair? Of course not. Federal and State income tax takes this into account but not county property taxes.
Many low income families moved into houses when taxes were fairly cheap but because of escalating housing costs over the years now find themselves pushed into selling their homes because they can no longer pay the taxes.
(03-05-2017, 11:16 AM)lonerock Wrote:

The $300, along with the income tax, would be in lieu of existing county property taxes although it could possibly incorperate city taxes for those living in Grants Pass and Cave Junction. The county income taxes would be fairly minimal after payment by all property owners of the flat $300 yet like both federal and state income taxes it would take into account ones ability to pay. Right now it's possible that that there could be two families living in the same neighborhood and both paying the same moderately high property tax yet one family earns $500k a year and the other is trying to survive with an income that the feds consider below the federal poverty level. Is this fair? Of course not. Federal and State income tax takes this into account but not county property taxes.
Many low income families moved into houses when taxes were fairly cheap but because of escalating housing costs over the years now find themselves pushed into selling their homes because they can no longer pay the taxes.

$300 for the county portion of property tax.  On top of the $400 I pay for th state portion of property tax ?

If I own a apartment complex with a 100 rental units, I would pay $300 for my county share. The guy living in a .125 acre with 500 square foot cabin would also pay $300  county property tax ? The guy with just an empty lot, on top of a mountain, that he bought for a few thousand dollars would pay $300 county tax?

My per acre tax, make more sense. Larger properties require more cost to patrol. A cop can check out a 1/4 acre lot much faster than a 100 acre plot.
Also larger land plots are typically further away and cost more to drive there.
(03-05-2017, 11:29 AM)chuck white Wrote: $300 for the county portion of property tax.  On top of the $400 I pay for th state portion of property tax ?

If I own a apartment complex with a 100 rental units, I would pay $300 for my county share. The guy living in a .125 acre with 500 square foot cabin would also pay $300  county property tax ? The guy with just an empty lot, on top of a mountain, that he bought for a few thousand dollars would pay $300 county tax?

My per acre tax, make more sense. Larger properties require more cost to patrol. A cop can check out a 1/4 acre lot much faster than a 100 acre plot.

What cop? Laughing
(03-05-2017, 11:43 AM)Valuesize Wrote:
(03-05-2017, 11:29 AM)chuck white Wrote: $300 for the county portion of property tax.  On top of the $400 I pay for th state portion of property tax ?

What cop? Laughing

The one they want to hire with the tax levy.

Oscar said he'd do it for  $1, if we made him a road warrior, what ever that is?
I'm thinking it means, he gets to keep the money, he takes from people he pulls over.
You need to go back east for that.
(03-05-2017, 11:29 AM)chuck white Wrote:

$300 for the county portion of property tax.  On top of the $400 I pay for th state portion of property tax ?

I think the issue I  presented is misinterpreted so let me try again. My proposal is to first, charge all property owners a flat $300 in property taxes. This would be the base amount to cover all of their property taxes they pay each year. I chose this amount because I  assumed that all property owners currently pay at least that amount each year regardless of property size or location, even for empty lots. Just to cover all bases if I 'm wrong then lets say the base amount would be $300  OR  what they're currently paying, which ever is lower.

Secondly, assuming the $300 per property wouldn't cover all county government expenses, there would be a county income tax to make up the balance. The tax would be on a sliding scale based on income,

So, the bottom line is that the poorest would pay no more than $300 and those in higher income brackets would pay a modest income tax. Again this would not depend on property size or value but more based on peoples ability to pay.
(03-05-2017, 11:51 AM)chuck white Wrote: Oscar said he'd do it for  $1, if we made him a road warrior, what ever that is?
I'm thinking it means, he gets to keep the money, he takes from people he pulls over.
Yes, Chuck, In addition to the $1 a month, I want 50% of 50% (okay 25%) of the traffic fines I collect and also 25% rake on all illegal gambling, drugs and sex traffic in Josephine County. Would that make a crooked cop? Of course I would. My work experience in JoCo was that of an auto dealer. What where expecting? An honest car dealing cop in Grants Pass? You, know I'm joking. Speaking of which....

I did play a good joke on the two motorcycle cops in Grants Pass when I worked the Chrysler dealership:

Here is the situation:

Two Grants Pass motorcycle cops where trespassing on the car lot while running a radar trap on 6th Street. I typed this to be displayed on our electronic billboard for everyone to see.

Please slow down for the Speed Trap *pause* Brakes Pads Installed $99.95

Yes, I ruined their sneaky little speed trap. However I did promote public safety. I slowed down more cars with that silly advertisement. Who wants to get a ticket? Also cars with new brake pads are safer than cars with worn out brake pads. Don't you agree.
(03-05-2017, 02:02 PM)Oscar Wrote:
(03-05-2017, 11:51 AM)chuck white Wrote: Oscar said he'd do it for  $1, if we made him a road warrior, what ever that is?
Yes, Chuck, In addition to the $1 a month, I want 50% of 50% (okay 25%) of the traffic fines I collect and also 25% rake on all illegal gambling, drugs and sex traffic in Josephine County. Would that make a crooked cop? Of course I would. My work experience in JoCo was that of an auto dealer. What where expecting? An honest car dealing cop in Grants Pass? You, know I'm joking. Speaking of which....

I did play a good joke on the two motorcycle cops in Grants Pass when I worked the Chrysler dealership:

Here is the situation:

Two Grants Pass motorcycle cops where trespassing on the car lot while running a radar trap on 6th Street. I typed this to be displayed on our electronic billboard for everyone to see.

Yes, I ruined their sneaky little speed trap. However I did promote public safety. I slowed down more cars with that silly advertisement. Who wants to get a ticket? Also cars with new brake pads are safer than cars with worn out brake pads. Don't you agree.

The 25% sounds okay to me. Unfortunately you would have to release the dealers, prostitutes, gamblers, etc inorder to continue making money but eventually they would all go broke paying you off and you would be unemployed. Of course you could do a barter system where you get gambling tips, drugs and all the STDs you can handle.
(03-05-2017, 12:16 PM)lonerock Wrote:
(03-04-2017, 06:54 PM)lonerock Wrote: Interesting concept but size of acreage is not a great indicator of how much money people have. A large apartment complex on small acreage could end up paying far less than someone on a larger rural piece of land, even though they may be below the federal poverty level.

I think the issue I  presented is misinterpreted so let me try again. My proposal is to first, charge all property owners a flat $300 in property taxes. This would be the base amount to cover all of their property taxes they pay each year. I chose this amount because I  assumed that all property owners currently pay at least that amount each year regardless of property size or location, even for empty lots. Just to cover all bases if I 'm wrong then lets say the base amount would be $300  OR  what they're currently paying, which ever is lower.

Secondly, assuming the $300 per property wouldn't cover all county government expenses, there would be a county income tax to make up the balance. The tax would be on a sliding scale based on income,

So, the bottom line is that the poorest would pay no more than $300 and those in higher income brackets would pay a modest income tax. Again this would not depend on property size or value but more based on peoples ability to pay.

So, I retire in another state,  come here spend a good size of my nest egg on a 10 million dollar mansion. Pay $300 property tax, retired income is zero, so that's it. $300 a year.
(03-05-2017, 03:12 PM)chuck white Wrote:
(03-04-2017, 07:35 PM)chuck white Wrote: Are you saying $300 total for  county, state and city?

So, I retire in another state,  come here spend a good size of my nest egg on a 10 million dollar mansion. Pay $300 property tax, retired income is zero, so that's it. $300 a year.
Unlikely you would have zero income while trying to maintain a 10 mil estate. Realistically this is not a probable scenario. If someone had this situation they wouldn't be paying in fed or state income tax so the U.S., Oregon or Josephine county would not benefit.
I'll give you a more likely scenario. A person moves here 50 years ago and buys a house for $25,000. Their property taxes are next to nothing thanks to tax money brought in by the timber industry plus the low value of the house. Fast forward 30 years and the person retires on fixed SS income and nothing else. The house is now worth $100,000 and the much higher taxes reflect this. Fast forward another 20 years to the present and the house is worth $250,000 because it's in a desirable neighborhood. Now this person who has had a rather meager SS income for the last 20 years and seen his property taxes go up every single year and finally gets a tax bill he no longer can afford to pay and must move from his house after living there 50 years

I think my scenario is much more likely since i've seen it happen.
(03-05-2017, 05:41 PM)lonerock Wrote:
(03-05-2017, 11:16 AM)lonerock Wrote: The $300, along with the income tax, would be in lieu of existing county property taxes although it could possibly incorperate city taxes for those living in Grants Pass and Cave Junction. The county income taxes would be fairly minimal after payment by all property owners of the flat $300 yet like both federal and state income taxes it would take into account ones ability to pay. Right now it's possible that that there could be two families living in the same neighborhood and both paying the same moderately high property tax yet one family earns $500k a year and the other is trying to survive with an income that the feds consider below the federal poverty level. Is this fair? Of course not. Federal and State income tax takes this into account but not county property taxes.

Unlikely you would have zero income while trying to maintain a 10 mil estate. Realistically this is not a probable scenario. If someone had this situation they wouldn't be paying in fed or state income tax so the U.S., Oregon or Josephine county would not benefit.
I'll give you a more likely scenario. A person moves here 50 years ago and buys a house for $25,000. Their property taxes are next to nothing thanks to tax money brought in by the timber industry plus the low value of the house. Fast forward 30 years and the person retires on fixed SS income and nothing else. The house is now worth $100,000 and the much higher taxes reflect this. Fast forward another 20 years to the present and the house is worth $250,000 because it's in a desirable neighborhood. Now this person who has had a rather meager SS income for the last 20 years and seen his property taxes go up every single year and finally gets a tax bill he no longer can afford to pay and must move from his house after living there 50 years

I think my scenario is much more likely since I've seen it happen.

Except the property tax increase is capped at 3%, so that is not going to happen.
What would happen is all the retires that are living off their savings, would all have a $300 property tax, no matter how big of an estate they have.
Some people would put their property in their kids name. (they have no income)
(03-05-2017, 06:33 PM)chuck white Wrote:

Except the property tax increase is capped at 3%, so that is not going to happen.
What would happen is all the retires that are living off their savings, would all have a $300 property tax, no matter how big of an estate they have.

Actually it's the assessed  value that has a cap of 3% PER YEAR. And yes I do know someone who was forced into selling their house because of rising property taxes and there are others in the same boat. If you multiply 3% compounded every year over a 20 year period then that can add up to a staggering amount in assessed value and taxes.

You are coming up with these scenarios  that are so far fetched we might as well include alien invasions in the mix. Show me someone who is living entirely off their saving. Show me someone with a $10mil house with no income. If someone put their property in their kids name they would still be subject to a county wide income tax and someone would still have to pay the base amount of $300 for the property.

My idea isn't fool proof but it represents a starting point that would keep low income people in their homes. Our federal and state income taxes are based on a sliding scale that considers peoples ability to pay. So why should property taxes be different. Why should someone scraping by below the poverty level be thrown in with someone earning high wages. It would be like making everyone pay the same amount of income taxes regardless of their wage. The current property tax system is that same injustice and needs to be revamped and what I 've suggested is merely a starting point for discussion.
(03-06-2017, 10:17 AM)lonerock Wrote:
(03-05-2017, 06:33 PM)chuck white Wrote:
(03-05-2017, 12:16 PM)lonerock Wrote: I think the issue I  presented is misinterpreted so let me try again. My proposal is to first, charge all property owners a flat $300 in property taxes. This would be the base amount to cover all of their property taxes they pay each year. I chose this amount because I  assumed that all property owners currently pay at least that amount each year regardless of property size or location, even for empty lots. Just to cover all bases if I 'm wrong then lets say the base amount would be $300  OR  what they're currently paying, which ever is lower.

Actually it's the assessed  value that has a cap of 3% PER YEAR. And yes I do know someone who was forced into selling their house because of rising property taxes and there are others in the same boat. If you multiply 3% compounded every year over a 20 year period then that can add up to a staggering amount in assessed value and taxes.

You are coming up with these scenarios  that are so far fetched we might as well include alien invasions in the mix. Show me someone who is living entirely off their saving. Show me someone with a $10mil house with no income. If someone put their property in their kids name they would still be subject to a county wide income tax and someone would still have to pay the base amount of $300 for the property.

My idea isn't fool proof but it represents a starting point that would keep low income people in their homes. Our federal and state income taxes are based on a sliding scale that considers peoples ability to pay. So why should property taxes be different. Why should someone scraping by below the poverty level be thrown in with someone earning high wages. It would be like making everyone pay the same amount of income taxes regardless of their wage. The current property tax system is that same injustice and needs to be revamped and what I 've suggested is merely a starting point for discussion.

You are mixing property tax with income tax.  So somebody like President Trump , who pays no income tax would pay $300 a year for Trump Tower.

Extreme Rich often pay little or no income taxes. Now you want to give them a big break on property taxes.

It would take 25 years to double your property tax at 3% per year. I bet you food price doubles before that.
(03-05-2017, 02:02 PM)Oscar Wrote:

Here is the situation:

It seems odd to me that a cop or ex cop would consider traffic cops "trespassing" and that using radar was a "trap" and "sneaky".
And your idea that your sign exposing the "trap" to speeders slowed down MORE people sounds ridiculous to me.

People slow down for a few seconds when the see a cop. When they get a ticket and have to pay hard earned money they slow down for months or years and not seconds.
Traffic fines in Oregon are incredibly high. Portland style high. Giving out tickets makes it tough to pass a levy.
(03-06-2017, 03:50 PM)Willie Krash Wrote: Traffic fines in Oregon are incredibly high. Portland style high. Giving out tickets makes it tough to pass a levy.

Some how I NEVER get caught speeding.. knock on wood (my head).

I think 95% of the cops in Medford hand out on the west side because I just never see them.
(03-06-2017, 03:54 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(03-06-2017, 03:50 PM)Willie Krash Wrote: Traffic fines in Oregon are incredibly high. Portland style high. Giving out tickets makes it tough to pass a levy.

Some how I NEVER get caught speeding.. knock on wood (my head).

I think 95% of the cops in Medford hand out on the west side because I just never see them.

I wonder if you may have put the emphasis on the wrong word. 
You said NEVER. 
Maybe you should have said CAUGHT. 

I've had two of 'em. Both on city streets. The irony is that I've been on EYE-FIVE doing 80 MPH and watch 18 wheelers blow by me like they are in the Indy 500.