There HAS to be a LOT of racists here in the Valley
And it sure hell seems to me to be almost all conservatives

On a Facebook group here with thousands of members some of the most common posts are all basically the same thing.
They show a Muslim somewhere doing something despicable and the point is that's just how Muslims are.

They show Violent liberal protestors and the point is that's just how liberals are.

IF they can be so easily led to believe they know what people think based on the actions of a few?

What do you think they think about black people?
(03-06-2017, 06:55 PM)tvguy Wrote: And it sure hell seems to me to be almost all conservatives

On a Facebook group here with thousands of members some of the most common posts are all basically the same thing.
They show a Muslim somewhere doing something despicable and the point is that's just how Muslims are.

They show Violent liberal protestors and the point is that's just how liberals are.

IF they can be so easily led to believe they know what people think based on the actions of a few?

TVg, you can't fix stupid. 
But there is a danger here many of us don't like to acknowledge. 
OVERT racism is easy. It jumps right up, gets in your face and no one is confused. 
Then, there are the rest of us. Struggling often to ward off the influence of family, school, and all the things we have been exposed to over the years. 

I know a couple of black guys I don't like. I don't make jokes about them playing the banjo, eating watermelon, and being born to play basketball, but I don't like them for what I think are good reasons. Racist? 

I sometimes cringe when I hear people speaking Spanish in the stores I frequent. I know I should't. I always think, "Hey, if I moved to Mexico I'd learn enough Spanish to use it in public". Probably  not...my bigotry busting through. Oh, I keep it inside (most of the time...not here obviously). But it's a feeling I struggle with constantly. I don't do anything to damage the lives of Spanish speakers: But, the bigotry is stuck in my head. 

Bill Bishop in The Big Sort explains that we are, more and more, bunching up with folks who are LIKE us. Racism by another name? 

This stuff not as simple as choosing who we shake hands with, is it? Fact is, most of here on the RVF live around folks who are very much like ourselves. 

It's confrontation that exposes the warts. 

You feel me?
(03-06-2017, 07:27 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(03-06-2017, 06:55 PM)tvguy Wrote: And it sure hell seems to me to be almost all conservatives

OVERT racism is easy. It jumps right up, gets in your face and no one is confused. 
Then, there are the rest of us. Struggling often to ward off the influence of family, school, and all the things we have been exposed to over the years. 

I know a couple of black guys I don't like. I don't make jokes about them playing the banjo, eating watermelon, and being born to play basketball, but I don't like them for what I think are good reasons. Racist? 

I sometimes cringe when I hear people speaking Spanish in the stores I frequent. I know I should't. I always think, "Hey, if I moved to Mexico I'd learn enough Spanish to use it in public". Probably  not...my bigotry busting through. Oh, I keep it inside (most of the time...not here obviously). But it's a feeling I struggle with constantly. I don't do anything to damage the lives of Spanish speakers: But, the bigotry is stuck in my head. 

Bill Bishop in The Big Sort explains that we are, more and more, bunching up with folks who are LIKE us. Racism by another name? 

This stuff not as simple as choosing who we shake hands with, is it? Fact is, most of here on the RVF live around folks who are very much like ourselves. 

You feel me?
It seems to me that as far as racism. A lot of people recognize that if they let their true feelings out they would lose friends or be looked down upon.

But my point is that these same people NOW seem to think it's perfectly fine to be prejudiced against Muslims.
Or against liberals. Or against all illegal immigrants. Basically they don't seem to have any issues with defining the majority based on the actions of a few.
Because they have lots of like minded friends NOW that gives them the OK to be prejudiced.
How is that any different than people thinking they are superior to blacks?

Anyway Thanks Trump for empowering America's sleeping bigots.
(03-06-2017, 08:01 PM)tvguy Wrote:

You feel me?
It seems to me that as far as racism. A lot of people recognize that if they let their true feelings out they would lose friends or be looked down upon.

But my point is that these same people NOW seem to think it's perfectly fine to be prejudiced against Muslims.
Or against liberals. Or against all illegal immigrants. Basically they don't seem to have any issues with defining the majority based on the actions of a few.
Because they have lots of like minded friends NOW that gives them the OK to be prejudiced.
How is that any different than people thinking they are superior to blacks?

Anyway Thanks Trump for empowering America's sleeping bigots.
Boy Howdy!

You feel me?

Wow, When I hear people speaking espanol, I think tourist on vacation. When we went to Europe, total strangers would come up to us when they heard us talking. They were always friend and eager to learn about Americans and America from us. They also would share things about their country and culture.

So, next time smile and say, Hey are you from Spain, I heard you speaking Spanish.
(helps, if you say it in Spanish)

You might learn something  about their culture and perhaps you can share some of yours.
Big Grin
(03-06-2017, 09:32 PM)chuck white Wrote:

You feel me?

Wow, When I hear people speaking espanol, I think tourist on vacation. When we went to Europe, total strangers would come up to us when they heard us talking. They were always friend and eager to learn about Americans and America from us. They also would share things about their country and culture.

So, next time smile and say, Hey are you from Spain, I heard you speaking Spanish.

You might learn something  about their culture and perhaps you can share some of yours.
Big Grin

I bet you can't even show me where espanol is on a map.
(03-06-2017, 09:55 PM)tvguy Wrote:

You feel me?

Big Grin

Near LA
(03-06-2017, 09:58 PM)chuck white Wrote:

You feel me?

Big Grin

Near LA

La what? Doesn't la mean the?
(03-06-2017, 10:00 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(03-06-2017, 07:27 PM)Wonky3 Wrote: TVg, you can't fix stupid. 

You feel me?

Big Grin

Near LA

See, LA city
(03-06-2017, 10:13 PM)chuck white Wrote:
(03-06-2017, 09:32 PM)chuck white Wrote: Wow, When I hear people speaking espanol, I think tourist on vacation. When we went to Europe, total strangers would come up to us when they heard us talking. They were always friend and eager to learn about Americans and America from us. They also would share things about their country and culture.

Big Grin

Near LA

See, LA city

See THE city? This is so confusing Razz
(03-06-2017, 10:19 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(03-06-2017, 09:55 PM)tvguy Wrote: I bet you can't even show me where espanol is on a map.

Near LA

See, LA city

Spanish is confusing, that why I got a "D-"
(03-06-2017, 10:25 PM)chuck white Wrote:
(03-06-2017, 09:58 PM)chuck white Wrote: Near LA

See, LA city

So did Cheech.
(03-06-2017, 10:26 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(03-06-2017, 10:25 PM)chuck white Wrote:
(03-06-2017, 10:00 PM)tvguy Wrote: La what? Doesn't la mean the?
See, LA city

So did Cheech.
I thought he got a si.

I'm seeing more and more stuff just around. Propaganda written on cars, flying confederate flags by folks who probably havne't been East of the Rockies, Swastikas, ugly words and thoughts, just perma-penned right onto their cars or shirts.  They subscribe to hate sites. Everytime someone posts a protest or awareness event they talk about forming a group to go and harass it.  Now, in my own real life, I don't think I associate knowingly with these types, but I know they are out there.
(03-07-2017, 07:13 AM)Juniper Wrote:

I'm seeing more and more stuff just around. Propaganda written on cars, flying confederate flags by folks who probably havne't been East of the Rockies, Swastikas, ugly words and thoughts, just perma-penned right onto their cars or shirts.  They subscribe to hate sites. Everytime someone posts a protest or awareness event they talk about forming a group to go and harass it.  Now, in my own real life, I don't think I associate knowingly with these types, but I know they are out there.

Probably Larry.  Smiling

[Image: 6f82f8a337e85d8b2249d1c4cf16a4d5.jpg]
Note to Chuck White:

Up a few posts, you opined: 

"Wow, When I hear people speaking espanol, I think tourist on vacation. When we went to Europe, total strangers would come up to us when they heard us talking. They were always friend and eager to learn about Americans and America from us. They also would share things about their country and culture.

[Image: icon_rvf_biggrin.gif]"

Well Chuck, I wasn't thinking of tourists and I doubt that my remarks suggested that. I know Mexican folks who came here at as young workers who still can speak only a few words of English. If they live in a neighborhood of mostly Spanish speakers they get along okay for the most part. 
And I admitted my own bias, and can't really defend it. And still, I have negative feelings about people who want to live in this culture but make no real effort to integrate into it. 

So, feel free to criticize my attitude, but do it in context please. To suggest I was thinking of tourists when I made the remarks is just plain goofy. 

I admit my attitude is narrow, but I continue to believe I have a valid point. Please don't confuse the issue further by suggesting I was thinking of "tourists".
(03-07-2017, 07:13 AM)Juniper Wrote:

They are out there and they elected Trump. OK not everyone who voted for trump are the ugly bigots. But all the ugly bigots did vote for Trump.
All of those dim witted Rush Limbaugh followers who have literally been brainwashed got a man very much liker them in the white house.

I guess they are emboldened and they ACTUALLY think WE.. liberals, democrats are evil and ruining this country.

They actually believe all the bullshit they have been fed about liberals.On Facebook they constantly try and portray all liberals as the violent ones they post about.
(03-07-2017, 09:21 AM)Wonky3 Wrote: Note to Chuck White:

"Wow, When I hear people speaking espanol, I think tourist on vacation. When we went to Europe, total strangers would come up to us when they heard us talking. They were always friend and eager to learn about Americans and America from us. They also would share things about their country and culture.

Well Chuck, I wasn't thinking of tourists and I doubt that my remarks suggested that. I know Mexican folks who came here at as young workers who still can speak only a few words of English. If they live in a neighborhood of mostly Spanish speakers they get along okay for the most part. 
And I admitted my own bias, and can't really defend it. And still, I have negative feelings about people who want to live in this culture but make no real effort to integrate into it. 

So, feel free to criticize my attitude, but do it in context please. To suggest I was thinking of tourists when I made the remarks is just plain goofy. 

I admit my attitude is narrow, but I continue to believe I have a valid point. Please don't confuse the issue further by suggesting I was thinking of "tourists".

Wouldn't it have been a lot easier to just hit the reply tab on Chucks post that you are talking about? LOL. Anyway I don't think Chuck said what you think he said. Although I'm just guessing.
(03-07-2017, 02:45 PM)tvguy Wrote:

Wouldn't it have been a lot easier to just hit the reply tab on Chucks post that you are talking about? LOL. Anyway I don't think Chuck said what you think he said. Although I'm just guessing.

Whatever...I copied and pasted his remarks (in italics) so I guess I got what he said. 

And I didn't use the reply feature because his post was a long way "up" from the ongoing conversation and I didn't want to derail that...hoping others would just skip this. So...you suggesting I should have PM'ed him? 
But thanks for your interest. Somebody has to monitor the halls around here.
(03-07-2017, 03:36 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(03-07-2017, 02:45 PM)tvguy Wrote:

Whatever...I copied and pasted his remarks (in italics) so I guess I got what he said. 

And I didn't use the reply feature because his post was a long way "up" from the ongoing conversation and I didn't want to derail that...hoping others would just skip this. So...you suggesting I should have PM'ed him? 
But thanks for your interest. Somebody has to monitor the halls around here.

If you would have just replied to his post that "was a long way up" it still would have gone to the same place. I don't get the maybe it will derail concept but then again I don't get Rap , rice cakes or why people buy pants that have a built in saggy ass.
I thought maybe you just smoked a bowl of train wreck and drank two 24 OZ cans of Gutter buddies best.

Oh wait that was me Razz