We will soon be replaced.
Quote:A proposed computer made of superconductors communicating via light could carry out more operations than a human brain while using less energy. 

http://physics.aps.org/synopsis-for/10.1...d.7.034013

Quote:The human brain is a highly efficient processor, using less energy than a light bulb to perform quadrillions of operations. The world’s fastest supercomputer, Sunway TaihuLight in China, performs a few times more calculations every second than a brain but consumes about 800,000 times more energy. Scientists from the National Institute of Standards and Technology, Colorado, have proposed a new computing system—superconductor devices communicating using light—that mimics the brain’s neural architecture. The team’s calculations suggest their system could operate on less energy and perform more calculations than a human brain.
(03-26-2017, 07:32 PM)chuck white Wrote:
Quote:A proposed computer made of superconductors communicating via light could carry out more operations than a human brain while using less energy. 

Quote:The human brain is a highly efficient processor, using less energy than a light bulb to perform quadrillions of operations. The world’s fastest supercomputer, Sunway TaihuLight in China, performs a few times more calculations every second than a brain but consumes about 800,000 times more energy. Scientists from the National Institute of Standards and Technology, Colorado, have proposed a new computing system—superconductor devices communicating using light—that mimics the brain’s neural architecture. The team’s calculations suggest their system could operate on less energy and perform more calculations than a human brain.

It aint gonna change a tire or clean my gutters.
(03-26-2017, 08:23 PM)tvguy Wrote:

No, but it can sit around the TV and eat less potato chips.
(03-26-2017, 08:26 PM)chuck white Wrote:

Which is where more people might find themselves if some of the reports of job loss in the next two decades from automation prove to be true.

(sort of thread drift but it actually fits the heading)
When robots repair robots, we're in trouble.
(03-26-2017, 08:56 PM)Cuzz Wrote:

Which is where more people might find themselves if some of the reports of job loss in the next two decades from automation prove to be true.

Someone has to sell, install and repair all the automated crap. IMO Automation equals technology. And technology is our future.
How else can Americans EVER compete with foreign countries who have millions of people who will work for low wages?
(03-26-2017, 09:07 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(03-26-2017, 07:32 PM)chuck white Wrote: http://physics.aps.org/synopsis-for/10.1...d.7.034013

Someone has to sell, install and repair all the automated crap. IMO Automation equals technology. And technology is our future.
How else can Americans EVER compete with foreign countries who have millions of people who will work for low wages?

I won't argue against that. I believe the change is inevitable and fighting it would be futile.

It remains that many will be left out and left behind. The first jobs to go will be things like taxi, bus and truck drivers, fast food, stuff like that. I don't think many of those losing the jobs are going to be turned into high tech workers any time soon. I know some of those workers and a few will be able to make the jump if they get help retraining but many won't. Additionally, far fewer workers will be needed to install and maintain the new tech then will be misplaced. Otherwise, whats the point?
More bad news for JoCo.
I heard they can replace all the intelligence there with a Pentium III running XP.
[Image: demotivation.us_ARTIFICIAL-INTELLIGENCE-...488820.jpg]
(03-26-2017, 10:33 PM)Cuzz Wrote:
(03-26-2017, 08:23 PM)tvguy Wrote: It aint gonna change a tire or clean my gutters.

I won't argue against that. I believe the change is inevitable and fighting it would be futile.

It remains that many will be left out and left behind. The first jobs to go will be things like taxi, bus and truck drivers, fast food, stuff like that. I don't think many of those losing the jobs are going to be turned into high tech workers any time soon. I know some of those workers and a few will be able to make the jump if they get help retraining but many won't. Additionally, far fewer workers will be needed to install and maintain the new tech then will be misplaced. Otherwise, whats the point?
I don't think many of those losing the jobs are going to be turned into high tech workers any time soon.

I don't think it's going to be a matter of Joe truck driver getting laid off because new trucks are self piloted.
I think it's more like Truck driving jobs will slowly disappear and young people looking for work will simply look at other options.

Do you think people said there wouldn't be enough jobs in the past when they got rid of telephone operators? There must be hundreds of examples of automation replacing humans and especially in the past 20 years.
It hasn't been a big issue yet? Maybe when automation is even more prevalent we will be able to pay workers who do menial tasks a lot better?
Maybe Americans will just need to smarten up. Smiling
(03-27-2017, 01:29 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(03-26-2017, 08:26 PM)chuck white Wrote: No, but it can sit around the TV and eat less potato chips.

I don't think many of those losing the jobs are going to be turned into high tech workers any time soon.

I don't think it's going to be a matter of Joe truck driver getting laid off because new trucks are self piloted.
I think it's more like Truck driving jobs will slowly disappear and young people looking for work will simply look at other options.

Do you think people said there wouldn't be enough jobs in the past when they got rid of telephone operators? There must be hundreds of examples of automation replacing humans and especially in the past 20 years.
It hasn't been a big issue yet? Maybe when automation is even more prevalent we will be able to pay workers who do menial tasks a lot better?

I think once the systems are fully baked and ready the change will be faster then expected. But, I hope you're right and I'm wrong!   Big Grin
(03-27-2017, 06:15 PM)Cuzz Wrote:
(03-27-2017, 01:29 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(03-26-2017, 08:56 PM)Cuzz Wrote: Which is where more people might find themselves if some of the reports of job loss in the next two decades from automation prove to be true.

I think once the systems are fully baked and ready the change will be faster then expected. But, I hope you're right and I'm wrong!   Big Grin

There will be a lot of jobs servicing the robots.

[Image: oi7u1.jpg]